Mozart Sonata - looking for advice

Posted by: Arghhh

Mozart Sonata - looking for advice - 11/23/12 11:18 PM

Here is a recording I made last year from a recital with Mozart's sonata for violin and piano in F major, K376.

Mozart Sonata Mvt. 1
Mozart Sonata Mvt. 2
Mozart Sonata Mvt. 3

I'm trying to decide if I can use either movement 1 or 3 for use as a recorded audition for Aspen Music Festival - neither are absolutely clean. Any comments are welcome.
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Mozart Sonata - looking for advice - 11/23/12 11:44 PM

Oh, Arghhh!!! I will leave it to the connoisseurs to nitpick if they so choose. As for me, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this. Do you like playing Mozart? I ask, because your playing is miles ahead of where you were in a previous posting of something or other about a year ago. You seem to be in some kind of zone here. Please leave hockey to the brutes and play more Mozart! laugh

More Mozart!!! thumb

--Andy

Re: Mozart Sonata - looking for advice - 11/26/12 08:08 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. Mozart is actually not one of my favourite composers. The sonata grew on me a little as I was working on it, but I'd much rather play Beethoven or Haydn for classical composers.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Mozart Sonata - looking for advice - 11/27/12 07:39 PM

This is quite lovely playing and quite delightful to listen to.

I seem to sense - although I cannot be sure without further close listening - that pianist and violinist don't always treat the same ornaments the same way :
Measure 4 of the Rondo, for example, the pianist plays the F-sharp grace notes almost as "crunches" before the beat, whereas the violinist plays (measure 12) them slightly longer, but on the beat - or so it seems to these ears.

Clarify for me whether you start your trills on the principal note or on the note above; it sounds to me as though the piano trills start on the principal note.

The reverberant character of the room/recording takes away from some of the crystalline sound that one looks for in the piano part of this work.

That said, this is a lovely, professional performance with well-deserved applause.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Re: Mozart Sonata - looking for advice - 11/28/12 11:31 AM

Hi Bruce, thanks for listening. I will get back to your questions once I get a chance to look at the score and refresh my memory.