Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed

Posted by: BachMach2

Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/21/12 10:15 PM

The recording quality impinges on the detail of the performance output but is generally "concert standard" (even with page turn stutter and 'odd' blemish) at "concert speed" and perhaps a fast speed, particularly considering the 1st movement. There is another presentation of this sonata elsewhere in this forum. Those who bother to make the comparison will see staggering improvement.

Beethoven's 8th Sonata "Pathetique" in C minor
https://www.box.com/s/uuzkr1uhjgozeltmuvzf
https://www.box.com/s/aswlgri82ylcz2cj543o
https://www.box.com/s/3mk1cahez277na6gnvkj
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/24/12 02:18 AM

My friend, this was not one of your better recordings (from an audio/technology standpoint). It was difficult to hear much of what you were attempting to do.

From what I was able to hear of the movement, it sounds like you're trying to race yourself through every run, and through the passagework. 5:30 is a little fast for this movement. Might I suggest taking it 5-8% slower and settling in a bit? It would sound much more musically mature that way. smile
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/24/12 02:21 AM

I guess you're not onto him.

He's playing bad and recording bad on purpose. (Just like my grammar in that sentence was bad on purpose.) grin

(BTW I didn't listen to these recordings. I didn't have to.)

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/24/12 10:33 AM

Lovely. In that case, I shall sit back and antipate. laugh

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/24/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Lovely. In that case, I shall sit back and antipate. laugh

Good!
I've been propating as well as antipating. grin

Note to anybody else: I think we have no idea what we're saying. ha
Posted by: Damon

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/24/12 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

(BTW I didn't listen to these recordings. I didn't have to.)

That's obvious, since it Was one of his better recordings but still......well, you know.

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/24/12 03:29 PM

It's possible to decide at some point that someone isn't worth listening to, or taking seriously at all. That point was reached a long time ago. smile
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/28/12 01:02 PM

Hey, my eldest is finishing up the first movement ...played it at juries earlier this month. Maybe we should compare! grin

Now he has to relearn the Rondo. He played that when he was thirteen.

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/29/12 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Hey, my eldest is finishing up the first movement ...played it at juries earlier this month. Maybe we should compare! grin

Nice! Do you have it posted anywhere? I remember enjoying the Rondo.
Posted by: Beethoven747-400

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/30/12 10:06 AM

Beautiful! I cried throughout the first movement.
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/30/12 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

Nice! Do you have it posted anywhere? I remember enjoying the Rondo.

Not yet. Maybe if he has time to polish it a bit before going back to school we'll take a hack at recording it. But when you make a video, editing out errors is a pain in the neck. So he only puts up a video that is close to perfection, technically. None of his other posted videos has any sound editing or splicing out of errors. If a version like that doesn't "happen," then nothing gets posted. smile

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/30/12 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Beethoven747-400
Beautiful! I cried throughout the first movement.

ha ha ha

(I mean literally -- I'm cracking up over here.) smile

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 12/30/12 04:08 PM

So, to Mr. BachMach, I now do believe that these are "mock" recordings. I found this: https://www.box.com/shared/hm068rzoly, which is much clearer, so it sounds like the joke is on me. Shall we call this recording, "BachMach2 exposed"? I don't have the 10 minutes to listen now (being called for dinner), but I shall later. smile
Posted by: natty_dread78

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 01/02/13 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BachMach2
but is generally "concert standard"

looooool

Originally Posted By: BachMach2
There is another presentation of this sonata elsewhere in this forum. Those who bother to make the comparison will see staggering improvement.

Ohhh! I really need to find it. I cannot possibly imagine what it sounds like if this version here is a
"staggering improvement".
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 01/15/13 06:09 PM

So, to Mr. BachMach, I now do believe that these are "mock" recordings. I found this: https://www.box.com/shared/hm068rzoly, which is much clearer, so it sounds like the joke is on me. Shall we call this recording, "BachMach2 exposed"? I don't have the 10 minutes to listen now (being called for dinner), but I shall later. smile

Derulux, believe it or not, there are actually one or two of us (sufficiently unstable ourselves) who appreciate Mr. BachMach's contributions. If you are less than enamoured of his musical contributions, you may wish to sample his literary talent: A Literary Masterpiece. The opening sentence alone had me in hysterics, and the barrage of ensuing comments from other PW members was frosting on the cake. His essay is a tour de force of musical analysis, rivaling those of Schumann. Assuming you have the stamina to read it, you will gain a newfound understanding of the words "pianist" and "non sequitur".

I have my own theory that Mr. BM will eventually deliver the coup de grace to his PW detractors by publishing a sonically perfect, beautifully rendered musical performance. I know neither the day nor the hour, but I feel it could happen. (There may be some Mayan predictions along these lines). He will bury this gem amidst the rubble of "the others", anxiously waiting for one of his most vociferous PW critics to stumble upon it. And his delight will know no bounds.

On the other hand, I could be wrong. Enjoy. Or not.
Posted by: carey

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 01/15/13 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Man

I have my own theory that Mr. BM will eventually deliver the coup de grace to his PW detractors by publishing a sonically perfect, beautifully rendered musical performance. I know neither the day nor the hour, but I feel it could happen. (There may be some Mayan predictions along these lines). He will bury this gem amidst the rubble of "the others", anxiously waiting for one of his most vociferous PW critics to stumble upon it. And his delight will know no bounds.

Righto !!! grin
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 01/15/13 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: carey

Righto !!! grin

haYe, of little faith!

Re: Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Op13 completed - 01/15/13 09:17 PM

....If you are less than enamoured of his musical contributions, you may wish to sample his literary talent: A Literary Masterpiece.

Among other amusing things grin ....we talked on there about a seeming similarity to a previous member. I think it's just about definite that they're the same.

Quote:
I have my own theory that Mr. BM will eventually deliver the coup de grace to his PW detractors by publishing a sonically perfect, beautifully rendered musical performance....

I, for one, wish he'd lose this carap and do something close to that, which I'm pretty sure he's capable of.

Quote:
....I know neither the day nor the hour, but I feel it could happen. (There may be some Mayan predictions along these lines). He will bury this gem amidst the rubble of "the others"....

I hope not. ha