Chopin Ballade No. 2

Posted by: ABC Vermonter

Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/15/13 04:24 PM

Hi,

I hope this re-recording fixes most of your previous comments and suggestions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpM73CU51xI
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/15/13 06:59 PM

The rhythm in the slow section makes a lot more sense than in your first recording. I thought the first time you played the slow section in this recording(the opening page or two)there were some strange dynamic shaping to the melody with some chords sticking out as very loud for no apparent reason. When you played the slow section the second time near the middle of the piece there weren't any of these, for me, strange dynamic choices.

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/16/13 09:00 PM

Hi pianoloverus,

Thanks for your feedback.

I felt the same way about the opening section of the first recording when I first heard it; the sound was too loud. Then my dad figured out that the camcorder smoothed out the dynamics by making quite section louder and loud section quieter when the auto mode was chosen. So he switched to manual mode to film the second video to preserve the true dynamics. I think that may be a partial reason for the loud and wield opening section in the first video. Thank you for suggesting re-recording. I think it really makes a difference.
Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/18/13 11:44 AM

Wow! That was scary good, Vermonter, considering your age! I could hear the shape and sweep of the musical argument very clearly, from beginning to end, And wonderful control of the dynamics, in a piece that can so easily careen out of control, particularly at the end. Really, really, thanks for sharing!
Posted by: AldenH

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/18/13 06:17 PM

Much improved, and an exceptional performance by any standard. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Are you planning to polish it even further for big competitions or will you drop it for a while to work on other repertoire?

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/18/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
Wow! That was scary good, Vermonter, considering your age! I could hear the shape and sweep of the musical argument very clearly, from beginning to end, And wonderful control of the dynamics, in a piece that can so easily careen out of control, particularly at the end. Really, really, thanks for sharing!

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much. As always, you are so kind.

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/18/13 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: AldenH
Much improved, and an exceptional performance by any standard. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Are you planning to polish it even further for big competitions or will you drop it for a while to work on other repertoire?

Hi AldenH,

Thank you. I like your performance just as much.

I will put it aside for a while to work on others. No competition plan for at least a year. Not a big fan of competitions. smile I know I need to do them for college application, etc. Just want to postpone them until I absolutely have to.

I am now more interested in going to summer camps. I found it really useful for my music learning.
Posted by: floydthebarber71

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/19/13 05:20 AM

Wow! I wish I had something of critical value to say, but I don't know much. But that was very interesting to watch and listen to. Well done.

I'm not sure if it's the recording, or if that's correct (as I'm not familiar with this piece), but at some of the louder sections, the notes played with your right hand get completely drowned out by the bass notes being played?

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 2 - 01/22/13 10:59 PM

Hi floydthebarber71,

Thank you for your comments. Not quite sure about exactly what sections you refered to; but, in general, I do play left hand loud when there is melody there. Also, I think that loud sectons in this piece suggest the mood of violence and terror that calls for more heavy left hand that most Chopin pieces would.