Mozart: Sonata (not-so-) facile

Posted by: pianovirus

Mozart: Sonata (not-so-) facile - 01/16/13 08:14 AM

Comments/criticism welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0rOe6KfmTo
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Mozart: Sonata (not-so-) facile - 01/16/13 09:36 AM

At first I was going to say that you need to work on your scale technique, because the passage work comes across as uneven in the right hand. I think, however, that it's the D one octave above middle C that isn't sounding properly, and that is a major distraction to listening to this performance.

The tempi of the first and third movements might be a little too much on the leisurely side, I think. On the other hand - as it were - they're not played as though they were Czerny velocity studies, as some seem to think they are.

I would like to hear this on a piano where all the notes are voiced equally, because that "damn D" is such a critical note that, without it, the line that might be there is always lost.

Regards,
Posted by: pianovirus

Re: Mozart: Sonata (not-so-) facile - 01/16/13 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: BruceD
At first I was going to say that you need to work on your scale technique, because the passage work comes across as uneven in the right hand. I think, however, that it's the D one octave above middle C that isn't sounding properly, and that is a major distraction to listening to this performance.

[...]

I would like to hear this on a piano where all the notes are voiced equally, because that "damn D" is such a critical note that, without it, the line that might be there is always lost.

Thanks very much for the honest feedback, Bruce; much appreciated. To be honest, I didn't notice the "damn D" issue at all so far... blush ...though I (painfully) noticed the unevenness in the first two runs in the 1st mv of course.

I'll carefully listen again and hopefully will understand exactly what you mean (if not I might have to ask again; I hate unevenness... frown ).
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Mozart: Sonata (not-so-) facile - 01/16/13 11:12 AM

While you're "listen[ing] again," if you're not sure about the D, listen to the opening of the second movement. Every time the D (one octave above middle C) is played, it doesn't sound with the same "voice" as the surrounding notes.

Regards,
Posted by: Hakki

Re: Mozart: Sonata (not-so-) facile - 01/16/13 12:37 PM

I am with Bruce too. Generally the poor voicing of the piano is hindering your performance.
However, I must say that, the scale work needs some improvement too. Also in certain passages the left hand is too loud for my taste. IMO, the tempi of the outer movements must be a little quicker than this one.
I wish you best of luck with this work in progress and hope to hear another recording on a finely voiced piano.
Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: fantasy_osw

Re: Mozart: Sonata (not-so-) facile - 01/18/13 10:14 AM

To be honest, you did well on learning this sonata, but there are some thing that i disliked about it. First of all - you should work more on scales - make them sound "simple". You should also make the outer movements faster. Personally, I think that you're going too far in interpretation. That's Mozart, it should sound simple ! I can't understand why do you lose contact with keyboard at moments like O:25. For me, that's very frustrating, as well as seeing you "dancing" while performing. I'm sure that's effecting your sound as well. Some pauses in 2nd mov. are a little to long, but i liked that movement. The last mov. is a bit "sleepy", but the rest is ok.