Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more

Posted by: Kuanpiano

Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/08/13 08:24 PM

Hey guys,

I gave a concert with a friend yesterday and I recorded it. The sound is a bit echo-y because the piano is located in a large atrium at a hospital.

Here are three of the pieces I played:

Schumann-Liszt: Widmung
https://www.box.com/s/8oscz7oxa1r1ke7s2bc4

Chopin: Ballade no.4
https://www.box.com/s/bgwctan28hkuceph8bgz

Ravel: Pavane pour une infante defunte
https://www.box.com/s/6lek2ar4yrtysq0xw4bd

Enjoy!
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/08/13 10:41 PM

I listened so far to the Pavanne and thought it was incredibly beautiful playing that riveted my attention even though I've heard this piece so many times. Bravissimo!
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/08/13 10:48 PM

It sounds like there's something wrong with the recording of the Widmung which unfortunately for me made the recording barely listenabale. Sounds like a different piano(way out of tune) and different recording setup than the Pavanne causing all kinds of distortions.

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/08/13 11:20 PM

It was the same set-up, but I think my recorder auto-leveled over the span of the concert. The piano was actually quite out-of-tune, so I'm pleased that you enjoyed the pavane!

Thanks for your kind comments as always!!
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/09/13 02:00 PM

I, too, found Pavane to be rivetting! Absolutely gorgeous playing! Haven't had time to listen to the others, yet. Thanks for sharing this one!

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/09/13 07:19 PM

Just finished listening to all of your selections. Your Chopin Ballade is so patiently done. Widmung is quite lyrical and, at time, symphonic. These are commendable performances, Kuanpiano. What is the instrument you are playing that, even so horribly out of tune, allows you to play with such sensitivity and grace? Your playing is mesmirizing! (I listened to Pavane twice... smile Somehow, the flavor of the tuning, and the acoustics of the setting, even the audience ambience, works together in a mysterious way to create something very special... crazy thumb)

Thanks for sharing these!

--Andy

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/11/13 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Just finished listening to all of your selections. Your Chopin Ballade is so patiently done. Widmung is quite lyrical and, at time, symphonic. These are commendable performances, Kuanpiano. What is the instrument you are playing that, even so horribly out of tune, allows you to play with such sensitivity and grace? Your playing is mesmirizing! (I listened to Pavane twice... smile Somehow, the flavor of the tuning, and the acoustics of the setting, even the audience ambience, works together in a mysterious way to create something very special... crazy thumb)

Thanks for sharing these!

--Andy

Andy!! Thanks so much for the praise. The piano is a little Boston baby grand piano in a really large atrium in a hospital. I was actually surprised to hear how out of tune the instrument was - usually it's quite good so this was the exception I guess. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Pavane - it's a piece that is especially dear to me and I hope that I conveyed how special it was to the audience!
Posted by: Pogorelich.

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/11/13 09:38 AM

You are so musical! I want to hear you live. Let me know when you're playing next!

(btw, the piano's tuning was kind of flat in general... weird)

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/12/13 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
You are so musical! I want to hear you live. [...]

Me too!
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/12/13 11:29 PM

So, Kuan, to echo others' comments.. when's your tour schedule take you south of the border?

Re: Chopin - Ballade no.4 and more - 02/13/13 03:41 PM

No touring plans for now...I can barely balance this with my regular (non-musical) studies!