Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses"

Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 04/25/13 03:17 PM

I was going through some files, today, and realized that, while I posted these for one of the Un-sung Heroes e-citals (2011?), I believe I never did post them here.

So, without further adieu, here are two pieces by Alexandre Tansman from the fourth book in a series of progressive studies for youth, "Au Telesope," Paris, 1939. Hope you like them.

Tansman--"Mars"

Tansman--"La Grande et la Petite Ourses"

These were recorded on the 1940 Lester spinet, tuned to Equal Beating Victorian Temperament III, at A443, so if it sounds a little "tight," that's why.

--Andy
Posted by: Vid

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 04/25/13 03:55 PM

You coax some nice sound and colour out of that spinet! I'm impressed.
Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 04/25/13 05:46 PM

Really terrific performances of these pieces, Andy! For me, Tansman is one of the TRUE "unsung heroes" in piano music -- it's always of high quality and elegant. I particularly like his Mazurkas, several set of which he wrote over the years. Thanks for sharing these!
Posted by: carey

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 04/25/13 06:08 PM

Ditto to the above comments !!

Has it really been TWO years since the Un-sung Heroes E-Cital?? Hard to believe.

I remember these recordings very well - and am glad you've posted them here for some new folks to hear.

Great job !!!

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 04/28/13 09:03 PM

Thanks, people!

@Vid: a lot of it has to do with the temperament. Try it sometime. You'll like it! Plus, shortly before this recording was made, I had replaced all of the dampers and had a full regulation done on this little guy. Some people call that crazy. I call it, "Believing in my piano," which Carey has named, "The Mighty Lester." smile

@Tim: there you go, again--putting me on the trail of more music to find and play!!! laugh Knowing what little I know of Tansman and his music, I bet those Mazurkas are top notch beautiful and intriguing!

@Carey: time flies when you're having fun! wink
Posted by: wr

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 04/28/13 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: carey
Has it really been TWO years since the Un-sung Heroes E-Cital?? Hard to believe.

There was one last year.

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 04/29/13 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: wr
Originally Posted By: carey

There was one last year.

Good point, wr! It had some difficulties getting off the ground in 2012 because of technical issues, which have been fixed now (I clicked on one of the Koechlin "Esquisses" you recorded and Derelux's "Lyrica Nova" to make sure things were working smile ). There's lots of great stuff to listen to over there, people! Here's the link:

http://www.ecital.net/present.php

Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 05/02/13 01:15 AM

I LOVE Tansman, and these are excellent readings of these works. Thanks!
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 05/02/13 08:51 AM

I've never heard of Tansman, but I really enjoyed his music, and your playing was excellent! Really good articulation in both pieces. The fugue was beautiful!
Posted by: wower

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 05/08/13 12:38 AM

Thank you for introducing me to Tansman. I'm quite taken with La Grande. I think some of the counter-point is nicely realized in your playing.

Re: Tansman--"Mars" and "La Grande et la Petite Ourses" - 05/08/13 09:22 PM

@ Kreisler = Thank you very much, K! That means a great deal to me coming from you!

@ Morodiene and wower = Thanks for listening! Tansman had it goin', and that's for sure!

If anyone is at all a fan of Chopin (which I am not, totally, but there you have it) you should get to know Tansman, who was a HUGE fan of the guy. Tansman considered himself to be a Polish composer in the same vein as Chopin. He (Tansman) wrote a bunch of stuff, too. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Tansman

Here's to Alexandre Tansman!!! thumb

--Andy