Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler

Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 12:52 PM

In view of the fact that neither of us understands how to load the file from Box.com into PW, I'm just deleting it until further notice.
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 12:54 PM

Tim--please check the link to your recording.

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 01:03 PM

Andy, I just now opened it to check on this, and it's playing OK for me.
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 01:08 PM

.....but not necessarily for others -- requires a "log in."
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
Andy, I just now opened it to check on this, and it's playing OK for me.

I think you want to copy the link under the heading "Sharing," in the column of options to the right side of the screen in Boxnet.

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 02:03 PM

Andy, we checked the "Share" option, and it appears to us to indicate "Full Access", implying that anybody should be able to get to it.
Posted by: Damon

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 03:39 PM

It doesn't play for me and I do have a box account to which I'm logged in.

The item you are trying to access has either been deleted or is unavailable to you.
Posted by: Nikolas

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 06:17 PM

Tim,

Email me at nikolas *AT* musica-ferrum.com and I'll upload it for you, first thing in the morning! wink looking forward!
Posted by: Schubertslieder

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
In view of the fact that neither of us understands how to load the file from Box.com into PW, I'm just deleting it until further notice.

I wish I had known you guys didn't know how to load it before. laugh I returned to listen to it several times.

I didn't want to complain since others already did.

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/18/13 09:12 PM

Nikolas, thanks for the assistance! -- I just now sent you the mp3 file to the e-mail address you listed, cc-ing Steve Chandler. Feel free to post it either here or in the Composers Forum.

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/19/13 04:38 PM

To all interested listeners -- Steve Chandler uploaded my File into SoundCloud and posted it in the Composer's Forum.

Nikolas also was planning to post, but thought my File was slightly soft in volume (I agree with that), and so was going to up the sound slightly before submitting. Just as a comment, the attenuation of sound seems to occur with the conversion to mp3 using the Audacity program -- the original TASCAM recording is slightly louder to my ears.

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/20/13 12:16 AM

I haven't been in the studio yet (Weekends tend to do that to me! :)), but I should be there in an hour, in which case I will pump up the volume accordingly and let you know the link! smile After that we can update this thread, or make a new one, or whatever you feel best! smile

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/20/13 08:11 AM

OK, great! Looking forward to hearing how effective the enhancement is.

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/20/13 01:08 PM

There we go guys...

I would suggest that a new thread is made. This is quite a bit louder, than the original take. The original take had minimal volume. I think I raised it about 15 db or so...

http://www.nikolas-sideris.com/EMF/rhapsody_steve_chandler.mp3

I can keep this file there for "all eternity" (or at least until my website is gone, which won't happen any time soon)... So share this link freely, or grab the file and put it in your box.net account, soundcloud, whatever suites you.

I reserve my real post to Steves work and Tims playing later on this week, cause I'm overwhelmed with work!

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/20/13 06:43 PM

Nikolas, thanks for your efforts here -- now I can hear my botched passages, imprecisions, and misjudgements SO much better than before!

Seriously, though, this is a great improvement -- worlds better, in fact -- because I can hear the voicings and inner details with much more clarity than before. Thanks so much for working your magic here, and feel free to establish a new thread if you so desire.
Posted by: D. S. F.

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/20/13 10:37 PM

I have never heard of this rhapsody, or Steve Chandler, but this is a nostalgic pleasure to listen to. It has certain improvisational elements which are very appealing, while the structural integrity of the composition is apparent. It actually reminds me in some way of the character of certain cornet/trumpet tunes I've been exposed to from my brass buddies...and also Miaskovsky's 3rd piano sonata (haha, how does that even make sense?).

All in all, I enjoyed this piece and your brilliant performance very much.

Dave
Posted by: Michael Sayers

Re: Rhapsody for Piano Steve Chandler - 05/21/13 01:54 AM

I find the Rhapsody often evocative of certain Liszt works . . . probably it is impossible to convey that majestic way of feeling deeply imbued with life without the music in some ways sounding a bit Lisztian. The sensitivity of the pianist here was just as important for getting it across.

An incredible composition!

Mvh,
Michael