Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query

Posted by: FSO

Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query - 11/20/13 09:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4vh25jOiaI&feature=youtu.be My question is: when did you stop listening and why? In essence, I listened and thought "I can't pinpoint anything strikingly wrong with it, but it's definitely missing something"...so, even though I so recently put something else here, um, I hoped one of you might be able to give me your opinions on what's wrong with it. It develops *so* slowly, I recognise, but there are plenty of pieces that are really slow to unfold but are still great...um...I mean, could it be sheer pianism that's required? I don't know...hence laugh So...yes, even though there are a couple of nice moments, I find this quite significantly insubstantial (more so than normal wink ) and if any of you have the time to spare I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you can impart that might elucidate why that is...so...thank you! I hope you are all well and happy as you read this, of course smile
FSO
Xxx
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query - 11/20/13 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: FSO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4vh25jOiaI&feature=youtu.be My question is: when did you stop listening and why?

Around 1:10, because nothing much was happening...
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query - 11/20/13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4vh25jOiaI&feature=youtu.be My question is: when did you stop listening and why?

You lasted twice as long as I did!

Regards,
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query - 11/20/13 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

You lasted twice as long as I did!

Regards,

I tried to give it more of a chance than I normally would, but no cigar.
Posted by: Pathbreaker

Re: Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query - 11/20/13 11:40 PM

I think the issue is that there is a main idea that you are continuing to repeat without any real development. As you say it does develop slowly but there are not any real instances that I feel the character changes at all. The closest thing to this happened around 12:45 but I think it only lasted for 10 seconds or so and then you went back to the same place.

It's hard for me to describe because my musical language is limited but the sense I get is that the piece starts in one place and doesn't manage to escape that place even though there is much effort.

I confess that I did not listen with total focus and cannot answer your question as to the points where I tuned out and back in. Ok wait, here I am now at 22:20 and I sense that I am being taken somewhere else. Do you see what I mean? This section, with the main theme returning around 24:40 is definitely promising.

I know it's an improvisation and I'm not trying to say that it should have more form, but if you are going to have this kind of length I think you might want to find a way for it to be less repetitive. Oh, another thing you might want to consider is creating more space by utilizing more rests. Most people have difficulty in silent moments in life but they are absolutely essential to add more depth.

Have you listened to any Keith Jarrett? I haven't heard much to be honest but I have a CD of the Koln concert and I think it might provide you with some good examples. The concert is split into two sections. I think each section has 2-4 'subjects' which are explored. You might find something interesting in this improvised solo performance.

By the way I listened to your two pieces 'On being late' and I really enjoyed them. It might be that I identify with this feeling quite a bit!
Posted by: FSO

Re: Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query - 11/22/13 06:33 AM

Polyphonist, BruceD, thank you for the attempt and candid answers....it's good to know. Pathbreaker...thank you for...well, sticking through the tedium and for the thoughtful response...silence. You're right about needing more silence; it's the note I most overlook smile Um...so; less repetitive...character change...it's wonderful having a critique such as yours; half of my thinking-box whinges: "but that's the point, I was trying to do this..." and the other half can say "well, "this" clearly doesn't work then, so stop complaining and complete this metaphor"...um...I've heard of Keith Jarrett...but I've never listened to any...I think I shall, thank you for the suggestion laugh Thank you very much for the insights...and the compliment too, of course ^_^
Xxx
Posted by: TheHappyMoron

Re: Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query - 11/27/13 05:48 PM

a tad unrelenting but very nice. i'd pretty much echo what pathbreaker said. except that i don't like Keith Jarret's music.
There were lots of really nice parts in it, but i find with improvs like this it's a sort of "have to be there at the time to get the full whack" sort of thing.

EDIT:
I should have really waited til the end before i commented. Just wanted to add that i thought that the final few minutes were really good! very dramatic and expressive! in fact i even played that part again after it had finished.
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Improvisation (BWV 934) and Query - 11/27/13 11:26 PM

I lasted about 15 seconds. There was a point very early on where the phrase structure fell apart. It starts out sounding like it's in 3/4, then suddenly the chord progression implied by the bass and soprano lines have a 4/4 feel, and I lose sight of where it's headed. It may be because I'm very familiar with BWV 934 and have certain expectations regarding the overall phrase/harmonic structure. (I don't expect an improvisation to match the structure of the original, but I do expect a structure that retains some of the feel of the original.)