Anyone recording using Disklavier Pro or Pianodisc system?

Posted by: phrygian

Anyone recording using Disklavier Pro or Pianodisc system? - 12/30/13 01:10 AM

HI there- I've posted this on the regular piano forum, but thought I'd ask it here as well, because it deals with modern player systems:

Does anyone have experience with recording piano with either of these 2 systems installed on 7 ft grands? Which seems to work better? (I know Disklavier is only installed at the factory on Yamaha pianos, and that PianoDisc can be installed retroactively on virtually any piano)
I'm still in the market for a 7ft grand for recording-
Trying to decide if I should invest in either
A) a Yamaha piano that has the Disklavier Pro system installed, or

B) other piano brand that perhaps doesn't have a player system installed, but have the option to install the PianoDisc system later on.

Here's what I'm looking to do:
I want to record the piano via MIDI into my computer (Pro-Tools) and then edit the MIDI file, fix notes, edit sustain pedal information, etc until I am satisfied with it, then mic up the piano and have it virtually play the edited MIDI file as the final audio recording. I was curious as to which system actually works better in relation to faithfully reproducing the MIDI file that is being played (i.e. sustain pedal information, note velocity, etc).

Thanks
Posted by: David, Las Vegas

Re: Anyone recording using Disklavier Pro or Pianodisc system? - 01/07/14 01:25 AM

I don't have too much knowledge about the midi systems in general but if I was looking for the best product I would choose the piano first and midi system second. The Yamaha piano is excellent and the Disklavier product (pro) is almost infallible and quite durable, but do you like the tone,touch, size or cost of the instrument. Perhaps a piano with better or different acoustic properties and the PD system which will also do an accurate job of processing midi information and is now offering a new pro record.

http://www.pianodisc.com/wp-content/uploads/ProRecord-Info-Sheet1.pdf

I would imagine that maybe a high end Roland, kurzweil or Yamaha digital series would be a great instrument for the studio. If you are looking for a 7 foot grand either buy new or or used. Don't be temped by older grands at cheap prices. C7's and model "B"s are my favorites for quality tone production. I'm sure other manufacturers have comparable quality instruments. Happy shopping.