Kimball Electramatic

Posted by: Dans Piano Service

Kimball Electramatic - 09/26/06 01:10 AM

I have a customer with a Kimball electramatic spinnet player. Some of the plastic valves have come loose frome the stack. What should I use to glue these back on, and is it possible to find new valves should I need them or can these be disassembled without destroying them. Thanks.
Posted by: Tom Tuner

Re: Kimball Electramatic - 11/20/06 02:33 PM

I haven't seen one of these in quite awhile so I'm not up-to-date, what we used to use on Aeolian-American valves was Duco cement. New A-E valves are available, but Kimballa are pretty doubtful.

Tom

Re: Kimball Electramatic - 11/23/06 03:34 PM

From the 1990 Centennial Issue of The Piano Trades, "In 1963, Wood & Brooksmattempted to bring easy-play features to the piano with the introduction of the Electra-Chord, a complex electro-mechanical device that made it possible to play one-finger chords. Charles Woods, Wood & Brooks president, claimed that Electra-Chord would 'forever change the piano industry.' Instead, it flopped badly because it was too costly and prone to service problems."
There is also a reference to "Electrachoed & Piano Sales" in the August 1961 issue of The Piano Technicians Journal, p.15. I do not have the issue at hand, lost a lot of old issues moving and in storage.

Tom

Re: Kimball Electramatic - 11/23/06 04:34 PM

The above belongs to the next posting on this forum. Sorry 'bout that. Still looking for some Kimball info.

Tom

Re: Kimball Electramatic - 11/24/06 07:48 AM

Do this: go to Mechanical Music Digest (MMD)>Archive>Kimball. Plenty of info on Kimball Electromatics, repairs, replacement part sources, tubing diagram, etc. Valuable resource for players.

Tom