Piano World Home Page
Posted By: ShiningMeow Digital Piano for Beginner - 07/03/10 07:26 AM
Hi all. I'm going to be buying a DP for the first time because I eagerly want to learn the piano. Will be getting one tomorrow and have my eyes set on the Yamaha P-95 since it has the essentials of what I need (from what I know) in my budget of 1k.

If you guys could give me some advice or personal experience with the P-95 or could recommend a better choice it'd be appreciated. I'm hoping that the P-95 will last me at least 3 years.

I won't be needing anything extra since I'm aiming to play a more classical melody rather than trance or the new gen stuff. Something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm7cklf3nXk

Cheers
Meow

P.S: Sorry if it's in the wrong section or whatnot. Please take care of me.
Posted By: dewster Re: Digital Piano for Beginner - 07/03/10 08:27 AM
How about the P85 instead? Here in the states the price difference is $150 (P85=$450, P95=$600). Except for a different voice or two I believe these are the same product.
Posted By: BazC Re: Digital Piano for Beginner - 07/03/10 09:02 AM
Or how about a Korg SP170 or Casio PX130? As Dewster states the Yamaha p85 and P95 are pretty much the same instrument aside from a couple of different voices and some cosmetic changes and it's getting old now. The samples only have one velocity layer and the polyphony is an adequate 64 notes. The action is light and OK. On the other hand it's a Yamaha so you know it's well made and will have a good resale value. It's a decent enough instrument but I think you can do better with a later model from Korg or Casio.

Both have multiple velocity layers and good quality samples and higher polyphony (Casio 128/Korg 120) The Korg in particular has MUCH better amps/speakers. I think these are both cheaper than the P85 too, in the same ballpark anyway.

If you can go to $1000 though you can do much better than any of these. The Korg SP250 is also getting old now and it's sounds aren't as good as more recent instruments but it's well featured, has a great action, good speakers built in stand and quality pedal. Amazon.com have it for $625 so it's still pretty cheap too. Better still consider the Yamaha CP33 which has a much better action than the P85/95 but no speakers. It's a professional stage piano though and is by far the best instrument I've mentioned.

You might even find a Yamaha P155 for around $1000 if you can find a special offer, same action as the CP33 plus speakers and I think it has a more recent sample set.

Edit: Sorry I've just noticed you're in Oz so the Yamaha CP33 and P155 are probably out of your price range.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Digital Piano for Beginner - 07/03/10 09:02 AM
It would indeed be interesting to see the internals of the P85 and P95 to confirm whether or not they were indeed the same product.

Perhaps we should set up a kitty to allow Dewster to purchase and de-construct DPs! wink

James
x
Posted By: Vectistim Re: Digital Piano for Beginner - 07/03/10 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James
It would indeed be interesting to see the internals of the P85 and P95 to confirm whether or not they were indeed the same product.

Perhaps we should set up a kitty to allow Dewster to purchase and de-construct DPs! wink

Doesn't Kawai do this?
I would have thought every manufacturer buys everyone else's products to havea good look and a prod and a poke about inside.
(Although to be fair, if any manufacturers do, I'd be surprised if they published their findings)
Posted By: dewster Re: Digital Piano for Beginner - 07/03/10 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Vectistim
I would have thought every manufacturer buys everyone else's products to havea good look and a prod and a poke about inside.
(Although to be fair, if any manufacturers do, I'd be surprised if they published their findings)

I'm sure they all engage in reverse engineering.

They tend to treat it like a quasi legal, hush-hush, top secret, need-to-know thing. Management gets off on that kind of thing.
Posted By: dewster Re: Digital Piano for Beginner - 07/03/10 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Perhaps we should set up a kitty to allow Dewster to purchase and de-construct DPs!

Or we could just cheap out and rely on the very liberal return policies of US retail outlets. smile
Posted By: ShiningMeow Re: Digital Piano for Beginner - 07/03/10 11:41 AM
So I read a few reviews on the P-95 and one review also suggested to get the Casio PX130 instead. There's a store selling it for $999. "Includes SP-3 pedal, AC adaptor, score book, music stand, dust cover." - http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/view/7771/casio-digital-piano-px130we-pearl-white/

In your opinion, would the PX130 benefit me more in the long run?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums