Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX

Posted by: pjs

Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/07/10 07:39 PM

It is info like this that I was looking for when trying to choose a new keyboard, so I hope someone finds it helpful. I have played piano for over 40 years and although classically trained to Gd VIII have played in numerous rock, blues and jazz bands and have been fortunate enough to have played most of the top name grands. My own home piano is a 120 year old grand.

I had an RD700GX for a year but sent it back twice to have the keybed replaced as the surface of the ivory feel was wearing out and very rough and annoying under my fingers. This resulted in eventually sending it back for good. This was rather upsetting as everything else about the RD was excellent, especially with the SN piano upgrade and without the key problem would have not been looking again.

I found a music shop that had all the keyboards I wanted to try and after a 160 mile drive was set up in their soundproof room with the selection wired through a mixer and KRK monitors. This included the RD as a benchmark. I was essentially looking for a piano with the other sounds of secondary importance. The Roland V Piano was streets ahead of the others and I wanted to play it for the rest of the day, but knew it was time to move on as it was way too heavy and the keys were made from the same material as the RD and the demo version was already showing signs of wear.

After dismissing a few others I started on the Yamaha CP5 and instantly wanted to play it all day. After being stunned by the pianos I moved on to the electric pianos and was again really impressed. I have also owned a Rhodes MkII from new so am totally familiar with how they should sound. I was then convinced by the CP5 and instantly had it put in the car for the 160 mile trip home again.

I am almost glad now that the RD keys wore because side by side with CP5 the RD could not compete. When I got it home and started playing with all the other sounds I found that these were also superior. The CP5 keyboard touch is excellent and I find it less tiring to play - I often play for 5 or 6 hours. The Yamaha ivory feel keys are great and show no signs of wear - apparently it is the same keyboard as the high end Clavinovas. I loved the escapement on the RD but haven't really missed it on the CP.

But now for the negatives with the Yamaha - I have owned many different keyboards and synths over the years so am no beginner when it comes to operating and programming them (even DX7s). The CP will do most of the same things as the RD but non of it is easy like on the RD or laid out as well. The manual is very vague and unhelpful. The CP doesn't have a mod wheel, nor does it have the facility to edit the drawbars on organ sounds in real time, but it does have the facility to put a mic through its own channel with FX.

Bottom line - even if Roland sorted the key finish, I wouldn't swap back because the sounds and playing experience of the Yamaha far out weigh the few quirks it has.
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/07/10 07:55 PM

Welcome to the forum pjs, and what a terrific review to kick-off with.

Enjoy that lovely CP5!

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: JcSr56

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/07/10 08:10 PM

I totally respect your opinions on both of the keyboards, and I know, as we all do, that we all have different tastes, but I haven't experienced the key wear issue that you refer to.

I've had my RD700gx for almost a year now, and I play it no less than 15-20 hours a week, and I have absolutely no key wear.

Whether or not the key wear issue was resolved on the newer models, I can't say; but I do know that I go at it hard sometimes, and I periodically take out a flashlight and look down the keyboard with a magnifying glass, and there is no flaking or abnormal wear on mine.

Again, I'm not doubting your word at all, and I don't have a CP-5 DP to compare the 2 instruments, but I absolutely love mine. Welcome to the forum.
John
Posted by: dewster

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/07/10 10:16 PM

The RD-700GX keywear is widely reported as an early issue since fixed. And you really need to compare the CP5 with the RD-700GXF. I do agree with you that the RD interface is much more intuitive.
Posted by: Dave Ferris

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/07/10 10:41 PM

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 05:14 AM

The key wear thing for me was never fixed - the action was initially replaced by Roland and when this also developed the problem they supplied me with a brand new RD (with the GX1 upgrade) which was only 4 months ago and the same thing happened within a few weeks. The wear for me was the half octave above and below middle C and I suspect caused by the thumb nail - however this was not an issue on my Roland A90EX after 13 years or my Gors & Kallmann after 30 years and at the moment my CP5.

I have heard many comments from users who have not experienced this, however a friend of mine has been using his RD for just over a year and the keys had worn so much that they looked like balsa wood and to me, were unplayable. His has now gone back for a new action. Additionally, the RD that was on demo at the shop I tried them all at was showing signs of wear as was the V-Piano.

I am happy for the RD owners who have not had this problem as it is a great keyboard.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 05:28 AM

I own a CP5 and there is one very noticeable flaw in the default piano voice. The B,C,C# and D two octaves above middle C are much too loud when played at a ff or fff level. They really stand out when compared to their surrounding notes.

It took me a week before I noticed that.

This keyboard only gets used when there is no acoustic piano to be played. Sadly there is hardly any work to begin with. I'll be selling my CP5 in three or four years and it will be in pristine condition.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 05:36 AM

On the point of personal taste in piano sound and feel, I will admit that I prefer a bright (but not overly) sound. I therefore almost totally used the SN01 on the RD and the CF on the Yamaha. One of the main differences I found when comparing these was that the RD sounded great when playing f, ff or fff but became a little too nasal when played mf or p, but the CP just sounded more mellow when played lightly, which means you do not need a different patch for ballads or solo work.

This has already probably been dealt with elsewhere on the forum, but thought I would add it here anyway. DO NOT expect any of these high quality instruments to sound good live if you use a mono keyboard combo setup. These pianos must be used in stereo or else you lose so much. I have a the Roland KC550 and have even tried 2 of them. They are great for synthy type sounds but do not do a good piano justice. I am now using a pair of active monitors and can pretty well produce my studio sound live.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 05:52 AM

Hi David

After reading your post re the loud notes I have tried mine extensively in this area and cannot detect this. There is a slight drop off of about 5dB after the D but to me this sounds quite natural as this is the area where the dampers finish on a "real" piano. Could it be that your room or speaker system has a standing frequency around this area? I think it would be around 2K. I can create this problem by boosting the high mid on the master eq section, so reducing it slightly should solve your problem.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris

For people that gig, the percentage that end up choosing Yamahas, at least that I know in LA here, far outnumber the Rolands.

This is the same for my area according to the dealer
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 09:02 AM

Originally Posted By: pjs
Hi David

After reading your post re the loud notes I have tried mine extensively in this area and cannot detect this. There is a slight drop off of about 5dB after the D but to me this sounds quite natural as this is the area where the dampers finish on a "real" piano. Could it be that your room or speaker system has a standing frequency around this area? I think it would be around 2K. I can create this problem by boosting the high mid on the master eq section, so reducing it slightly should solve your problem.

Nope, I use headphones, Sony MDR-V600. Play staccato notes at a ff or fff level. Play notes in and around that area. It's noticeable to me.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 09:33 AM

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the "ivory feel" finish as it seems less durable and more prone to getting and staying dirty than straight plastic. But it's kind of hard for me to believe that the Roland key wear issue hasn't been pretty much addressed, particularly at this late date.
Posted by: JcSr56

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 07:14 PM

I think I fall under the category that Dave mentioned(playing at home solo), and also recording in the home studio.

I want to try out the CP-1,5,50 keyboards, but I've yet to get to any of the music stores since they've become available(work schedule). I almost fear doing so, as I might end up adding it to the stable, much to my wifes protesting.
John
Posted by: wildpaws

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 07/08/10 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: dewster
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the "ivory feel" finish as it seems less durable and more prone to getting and staying dirty than straight plastic. But it's kind of hard for me to believe that the Roland key wear issue hasn't been pretty much addressed, particularly at this late date.

My experience with Roland is that they have had a real problem dating back to the late '80s when it come to addressing issues (such as sometimes never addressing the issue). So much so that I sold all my Roland gear and will never buy from them in the future.
Clyde
Posted by: Brooks Reid

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/15/10 07:57 PM

Check the Forum topic here "Privia PX3 vs Yamaha CP50" for a lot more information on the Yamaha CP5/50. I have been on a maddening search for the right gig piano for a while and the CP5 seems to be the right choice for me now.
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: dewster
The RD-700GX keywear is widely reported as an early issue since fixed.

No, not fixed. Urban legend, I'd say, that it only occurred on early models, and has been fixed.

My 3 month RD-700GX key surface is suffering badly. I would describe it as premature wear. I know of someone else on the forum with a fairly new HP-307 with the same problem.

Strangely, my HP-207, which I've used regularly for 3 years shows absolutely no sign of wear.

I'm hauling my defective RD back to the dealer today. At least they are going to provide a loaner whist the problem is being dealt with.
Posted by: Dr Popper

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 10:50 AM

With the new NX Roland due out in a couple of weeks perhaps it would be best to wait.
Posted by: TADutchman

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 10:58 AM

Yeah, or the upcoming Kawai MP10: choices, choices...
Posted by: elecmuse3

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 11:24 AM

pjs, I'm curious as to what kind of active monitors you now use,and if they're loud enough in a higher volume gig (the kind where you wind up with a bit or a lot of ringing in your ears unless using earplugs).
Most of the gigs I do involve such volume, and are run mono for consistent sound in all parts of the venue, so I don't get the luxury of stereo. I did read on another thread here that one solution is to feed the left side to the mixer and use the right side for your personal monitor.
Posted by: blueston

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
With the new NX Roland due out in a couple of weeks perhaps it would be best to wait.

What? Really? Never heard about that yet. How did you find out about this? You mean like Roland RD-700NX?
Posted by: Rhodie73

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 12:30 PM

Yes what is this RD700NX? I am also on the Rolandclan forum and I think it was you Dr. Popper that brought the NX in the RD700GX forum. Are you sure it's legit or just another name for what I have, RD700GXF?

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 12:55 PM

Its certainly legit .... I don't believe its a renamed GXF but rather a updated model.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 01:51 PM

Very interesting. If it is an updated model, I can guarantee it has the PHA 3 with ivory feel like the rest of the high end models. Ultimately, this action is identical to the current PHA 2 with Ivory, only it has 3 sensors as opposed to 2. However, none of this means anything unless, they truly fix the ivory wear problem and use a material like Neotex. I'm sure it will include the SN AP's (which are incredible) and SN Ep's (that MUST be updated with authentic factory presets to begin with). Also if it does accept expansion, I suspect it will be compatible with the ARX series. All of this is just speculation, but Roland would have to something along these lines to stay competitive with Yamaha and Nord as far pianos and electric pianos go. I hope you're right Dr. Popper!

Oh and BTW, Sweetwater has dropped the price of the GXF to the original price of what the GX used to be. The GX has also dropped in price. This NX may actually be a totally new board and not just an updated GXF.
Posted by: theJourney

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 01:58 PM

http://www.rolandconnect.com/

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: theJourney

Meh. Not very interesting.

THIS is more interesting: Roland RD-700NX

(Check out the final listing).

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
THIS is more interesting: Roland RD-700NX

Digital Piano, Model RD-700NX, rated 117V~, 50/60 Hz, 12W, cord connected, Class I grounded

So it most likely doesn't have internal speakers. Anyone know more about this mysterious new DP? I'm all ears (or eyes I guess).

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 06:50 PM

I'm on the market for a new stage piano, so even though I have a Roland RD700GXF with 2 problems (Ivory key wear and "ok" electric pianos), Roland always comes out with some interesting products. I suggest that Roland abandon the ivory key material and go back to regular plastic. However I know they won't this. This fall should be interesting because Kawai is also due to release the updated MP series. However, this new RD700NX (if Roland addresses the current issues of the key wear and better factory electric pianos), could be interesting.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhodie73
I suggest that Roland abandon the ivory key material and go back to regular plastic.

You're right, they probably won't do this. "Ivory feel" is generally perceived as an upgrade that doesn't cost them much, if anything, to include - much like the fake escapement thingie. sick

Though over on the Roland Clan forums some claim it's just the EP presets that suck, not the EPs themselves.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/26/10 11:49 PM

Quote:
Though over on the Roland Clan forums some claim it's just the EP presets that suck, not the EPs themselves.

Very good point.

James
x
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/27/10 05:28 AM

Yes if you invest time and effort in tweaking they are good...not outstanding by any means, but useable...but I can't be bothered with making the effort...the Rhodes factory presets all sound the same to me.

Steve

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/27/10 04:56 PM

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/351195.html

Read the description.
"Roland's KS-G8 keyboard stand is designed for 88-key keyboards like the Fantom-G8, RD700NX, RD700GX, and RD300GX."
Posted by: 7even

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/27/10 10:46 PM

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/351195.html

Read the description.
"Roland's KS-G8 keyboard stand is designed for 88-key keyboards like the Fantom-G8, RD700NX, RD700GX, and RD300GX."

Haha JUST after I ordered a 700GXF. Could always exchange if the improvement is worth the hassle, I suppose....

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/27/10 11:43 PM

Yeah, if you really just want a top notch acoustic piano sound with the playability to match, you're more than covered with GXF. But if you also want that and possibly some new goodies (like ARX expansion) then check out what this NX has. I'm still trying to figure out why Roland is creating another stage piano and one with the RD700 surname, again. I figure by now they would move on to 800 or 900. Sept 1st will be right around the corner, so we'll see what happens.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/27/10 11:56 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why Roland is creating another stage piano and one with the RD700 surname, again.

What?

You can't see the logic in moving from the SX to GX to NX?

(OK, so I can't either . . . !)

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 03:15 AM

Yeah, if you really just want a top notch acoustic piano sound with the playability to match, you're more than covered with GXF. But if you also want that and possibly some new goodies (like ARX expansion) then check out what this NX has. I'm still trying to figure out why Roland is creating another stage piano and one with the RD700 surname, again. I figure by now they would move on to 800 or 900. Sept 1st will be right around the corner, so we'll see what happens.

Yup, I mostly want a top notch acoustic piano sound. Unless they radically improve the board, I doubt I would go through the hassle just for ARX and built-in Supernatural pianos.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 05:52 AM

Don't expect revolution with this new board ...more like gentle evolution. Few new things here and there but nothing spectacular.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 10:11 AM

Don't expect revolution with this new board ...more like gentle evolution. Few new things here and there but nothing spectacular.

Uh-oh. Looks like we've got at least another year then before Roland significantly updates / replaces the RD.

PHAIII and better integrated SN APs would push me over the edge I suppose, though something tells me there are no edges in my immediate future.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 10:16 AM

It's like the Motif XS to Motif XF. Virtually the same instrument. Yawn and disappointment.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 12:59 PM

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too. Its makes sense because its still called the RD700xx. Like I have mentioned in earlier posts, Roland is probably going to give it the same action as the V-Piano with the cursed "Ivory Feel", that still has the problem of wearing. I'm pretty sure that they are going to include ARX expansion with an interface that can take advantage of it, similar to how the ARX-02 EP's is already in the GX. It takes a long time for Roland to develop these cards because of the in depth technology used in them. I remember reading an article in Keyboard Magazine with them talking about the development of the SuperNatural technology which actually is a more advanced version of their previous SA technology from the 80's.

Anyway, I'm sure that Roland wants to make as much money as they can with the ARX series (especially with the time and money invested in them), so that is why they will "evolve" the RD to accept them and keep everything consistent with the RD700 series. The original RD700 was always in parallel (expansion capabilities) with their workstation series and I suspect they will continue here.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 01:48 PM

Excellent...great for the mighty old Roland SA synthesis to get a mention. Development ceased due to the death of its creator and no one else had the knowledge...or so I read somewhere. I have a Roland RD-1000...the daddy of them all and it makes the current crop of stage pianos look like toys. No stretching, no layers, no loops. Playability better than anything since with the possible exception of the V-Piano...and all from 1986. Only catch is it don't sound like a piano! Still, you can't have everything.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Only catch is it don't sound like a piano!

Yeah that's because SA technology was also relying on 80's sampling technology as well! Samples are actually used in SA synthesis, but more as a foundation reference and then the SA synthesis takes over. This is what SuperNatural technology is all about and why it sounds very authentic and still has the playability characteristics of the SA technology. SuperNatural technology is able to use current sampling techniques, combined with an updated version of SA synthesis to produce some very authentic and playable instruments.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 03:00 PM

I own the RD-700GX with SN and I have the old RD-1000 (and an old MKS-20...the RD-1000 in a box)...in terms of tonal change according to velocity, dynamics, playability - call it what you will - the RD-1000 is still some way ahead of SN (as is the V-Piano in my opinion).

However, SN is that happy compromise between playability and sonic realism. In this last respect SN is clearly superior to the V-Piano and on another planet from the old war-horse RD-1000.

There is a snippet about the technology here:

http://emusician.com/futuretech/goes_around/

I think the interesting point is that my (uneducated) reading of this is that Roland have created a technology that allows sounds to morph while (all?) the others rely on cross-fading to smooth out transitions between sample segments and/or loops etc.

Steve

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/28/10 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
There is a snippet about the technology here:

http://emusician.com/futuretech/goes_around/

Yep that's the same article that I was talking about that was in Keyboard Magazine as well. Roland has some great potential with this technology because of the combination of using actual hugh quality samples as a basis and then using a kind of modeling technology to fill in the gaps and make the instruments highly playable.

Towards the end of the article you notice that they talk about the unfortunate fact that it will take time for new SuperNatural boards to be produced, because they are time consuming to develop. Over at the Roland Clan forums many Fantom users are complaining about this. Ultimately, I think that is why the RD700GX/F still uses SRX cards (even though this series is discontinued). Roland knew that it takes time to create new ARX cards and wasn't sure of the market and didn't want to commit all of their new keyboards (that have expansion capabilities) to this series. Therefore they figure that they would appease users to still have access to the SRX series even though they knew good and well they were discontinuing the line. Hence, now they are finally making an RD700 series board that "out right" accepts ARX cards. This is probably what the RD700NX is all about.

So as a recap: Roland issued the RD700GX that actually had ARX expansion capabilities, but not exactly. Then they update it with an an SRX/ARX hybrid board that IS actually SuperNatural technology and name this "new" board the RD700GXF. They made money twice there! Now they are probably going to create the RD700NX that "out right" has ARX expansion capabilities. Whoa boy, Roland! Why didn't they do this from the get go? It's all about money folks!!!!
Posted by: abomic

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/30/10 04:47 AM

Compilations Tuto - Yamaha CP5 almost everything .... but in French
http://www.audiokeys.net/forum/showthread.php?23766-CP5-Yamaha-Tout-savoir-Compil-de-liens-utiles

Summary of links:
- Videos quality
- Testing and analysis comparisons
- High resolution photos
- Fly-Transport Case
- Tips and Tricks Programming
- Survey for transmission to Yamaha for improvement
- Establishment of a community of users CP5
- Editing Software Mac / PC for editing / Swap, copy, bank performance

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/31/10 08:10 PM

Behold the RD-700NX: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1128

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/31/10 08:20 PM

Mmmm, nice. wink

Thanks for posting.

So what else has been improved (from the GXF) aside from upgrading to the PHAIII keyboard?

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: Scooby Hoo

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/31/10 08:33 PM

Perhaps RD-700NX deserves its own thread? Looks like it won't be available until mid-November.

Three pianos. Plenty of digital pianos.

No ARX expansion support.

What is the difference between "Sound Focus" and more polyphony?

Also, these links to more "supernatural" options:

FP-7

HPi-6F

HPi-7F
Posted by: sullivang

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/31/10 08:46 PM

Excellent stuff - thankyou Roland!!! smile

Greg.

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 08/31/10 09:02 PM

So they finally killed the SRX expansion, no huge loss I guess (big bux for 32MB to 64MB ~10 year old sample sets - meh). The addition of ARX would have been awesome, but that would have made it a very different keyboard as those boards require quite a bit in the way of display and control. PHAIII is very welcome, though the ivory feel not so much. The video mentions easy recording - maybe they finally put a simple WAV / MP3 recorder in there like everyone else is doing? If only they had moved / removed the stupid joystick. The more things change...

That said, I'm thinking rather strongly of getting one for our studio. Anyone know when they will actually release them in the US and what the price will be?
Posted by: blueston

Re: Yamaha CP5 vs Roland RD700GX - 09/01/10 02:24 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why Roland is creating another stage piano and one with the RD700 surname, again.

What?

You can't see the logic in moving from the SX to GX to NX?

(OK, so I can't either . . . !)

Switch Gear Now?

Sell Get New?

See GodAwful Naming?

Ok. I'm done. blush