Kawai CN-33 Arrived !

Posted by: Fred Lierman

Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 03:43 AM

This is sort of a repost, as I made a failed post in the piano forum yesterday.

Anyway,
Yesterday morning my first ever piano arrived in a big, but not so high package.
I did not expect it to come unassembled. The salesperson never mentioned it.
The assembly turned out to be pretty straight forward. (no missing screws)
Just a bit tricky doing it by myself. Especially the mounting of the keyboard. Quite heavy.

Either way, as you can see it's assembled. And I am happy to say it's also working.
I haven't gone through all the functions yet. But all the keys sound good and feel good.
I started the Alfred all-in-one course yesterday, and will start lessons next month. It will be interesting to have the lessons on an acoustic and comparing it to this CN-33.

I'll keep you up to date on my further findings of the piano and will post some more photos as well.
But so far, I'm liking it.

Thanks again to everyone who helped guide me to this piano.

Fred
Posted by: curtisrollo

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 05:00 AM

Congratulations! The piano looks gorgeous!
Posted by: Upright

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 05:07 AM

Congratulations! It looks like you also chose Rosewood like me. Looking forward to share experience.
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 05:48 AM

Congratulations Fred!

That shot bears more than a parsing resemblance to the CN33 scene in the brochure. wink

It's a little worrying to read that you lifted the heavy main keyboard section by yourself, however I'm glad that you've been able to assemble the instrument and begin to play.

It's interesting that you're learning using the Alfred materials too. As you may know, the UK, US, and Australasia models ship with built-in Alfred lesson songs, as opposed to the Czerny and Burgmüller exercises featured on the European models.

Anyway, regardless of the learning materials used, may I wish you the best of luck with your new hobby!

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted by: Vectistim

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 06:37 AM

I wouldn't trust myself with that vase there (particularly if there's a cat or a toddler in the house!)
Posted by: eyst

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 07:06 AM

Congrats mate, I've also opted for the CN-33 but still waiting for the shop to get it's backordered stock.

They have one in cherry I could pick up now, but I have to have it in satin black - I think it's worth the few weeks wait smile

You're making me impatient for mine!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 11:32 AM

Thanks for the congrats everyone.

James:
I was aware of different lesson function, but I don't mind so much as I'll probably check out the Czerny and Bergmuller stuff as well.
The keyboard section was quite heavy, but I managed quite well.
It's pretty straightforward to slide it into the frame.

Vectistim:
Actually, I don't trust myself with that vase either. I'll take it off when I get home.

Eyst:
Yeah, I wouldn't have picked the cherry either. It was going to be either satin Black or Rosewood. The Rosewood just matched my cupboards better..

I'll post some more pics in a bit.

Fred
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 01:57 PM

Fantastic, well done Fred. Hope you really enjoy it.

Mine was delivered today, in one piece! That's taken me something like 2 months waiting, and saving pennies. I will also take a photo and upload it later on today. My trusty Casio is going to be demoted to the spare room, although it will also go on travels with me.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
Fantastic, well done Fred. Hope you really enjoy it.

Mine was delivered today, in one piece! That's taken me something like 2 months waiting, and saving pennies. I will also take a photo and upload it later on today. My trusty Casio is going to be demoted to the spare room, although it will also go on travels with me.

Dah da, here it is:

It might not be its final place, I have to take advice on that :-) but it's only a small house. I really tested in advance in the store, but even so there's a couple of pleasant surprises:

Mawima suggested on another thread the mellow piano sound (Piano 1-3), yup it sounds great to me for some music.

I love the church organ, compared to my Casio. Must have scared my neighbour trying to play Bachs Toccata in D Minor really LOUD. Love it. Now to learn to play it properly. Oh yes, and everything else too!

Need some time to transition from the lighter and looser keys of the Casio.

Just for fun, I also love this piano:

It's outside some offices near where I live.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/10 05:28 PM

Congrats spanishbuddha!

Thank you for posting the photo of your brand new (pre-assembled!) CN33.
I hope it was worth the wait! wink

Cheers,
James
x

ps. Where is that outside GP by the way? Clearly the humidity of the Great British summer has taken its toll on the key lid...

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Congrats spanishbuddha!

ps. Where is that outside GP by the way? Clearly the humidity of the Great British summer has taken its toll on the key lid...

OT: The outside GP is here:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3915045
The satellite view is a couple of years old.

I didn't see a smiley in your post on the comment, so just to be clear it's a piece of art/sculpture made of (rusting) steel. I'm not sure why it's there as AFAIK there's no musical link to the offices/park. I jog past it regularly and think it's great.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 05:53 AM

Sigh, wish I could go jogging...

</offtopic>

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the location of that interesting sculpture.
Nice part of the world, by the way. wink

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: mucci

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 07:30 AM

[OT]
What happened??
[/OT]

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 07:45 AM

<offtopic>
I went out cycling during my lunch break (as I do every day), and slipped on some wet metal grating in the road. It happens every so often when the road surface is a little greasy from rain, however on this occasion my shoe didn't disengage from the pedal - I came off the bike but my foot stayed with it.

No broken bones, but a badly torn ligament means no cycling for 3-4 months. ;(

I showed the photo to one of my colleagues at Kawai Europe - he asked if I had perhaps failed to read the owner's manual safety/assembly instructions properly. Who says Germans have no sense of humour?
</offtopic>

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: superwang

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 09:11 AM

<OT>
James:

OOOPH! Sorry to see that! I wish you a speedy recovery. I guess you can use your extra indoor time working on new piano pieces, but that is, I think, small consolation.
</OT>

Congrats to Spanishbuddha and Fred on the new CN33's. Nice looking pics from both.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 09:28 AM

I'm so sorry.

Maybe you want some flowers... I'll take those from Fred's DP, since they're anyway dangerous up there...

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 10:18 AM

James, I'm sorry. I wish you your leg getting better quickly.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 01:08 PM

OT: James, ouch, hope you're cycling and jogging again soon.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 01:57 PM

To follow up the image posts, here are some images of my CN33.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 03:07 PM

Great pictures Mawima. James should hire you.

I always like to see the stool/bench that people use as I don't have one. I have back trouble, not related to piano and am reluctant to invest in a traditional style bench without back support. But I've just started to learn to pedal and find sitting back on my office style chair doesn't work so well for that. I might start saving for a bench next, after the summer holiday.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 03:27 PM

Great pictures Mawima !
I have the same bench as you. I just wish it went a little lower than it does.
You seem to have a great spot for it as well. Outdoor light coming in from both sides !

One thing that pulled me towards the CN-33 visually where to pillars on both sides. Which the CN-23 doesn't have.

Enjoy the piano people, I know I am !

ps: I removed the vase/flowers. It just didn't feel safe smile

Fred

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/28/10 07:34 PM

Thanks for the words of support chaps (and for Fred's nice flowers, lol!).

Mawima, your CN33 photos look absolutely terrific, and a great setting to play the piano too - the natural light streaming in through those windows. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 10:29 AM

Thank you for the compliments. I really enjoy playing the CN33 there.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Fred Lierman
One thing that pulled me towards the CN-33 visually where to pillars on both sides. Which the CN-23 doesn't have.

I also like the look of this piano very much. The ivory color of the keys are also a nice addition to their touch.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 10:41 AM

I always like to see the stool/bench that people use as I don't have one. I have back trouble, not related to piano and am reluctant to invest in a traditional style bench without back support. But I've just started to learn to pedal and find sitting back on my office style chair doesn't work so well for that. I might start saving for a bench next, after the summer holiday.

It's a simple bench from Thomann. They are very affordable and very ok for the price in my opinion.

See there Piano Banks and Stools @ Thomann

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 01:33 PM

Thanks for the link to the Thomann benches.
Posted by: YoungH

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 06:14 PM

James,

Sorry to see the picture of your injured ankle. Seems like you had a pretty nasty spill for the ligaments to be torn. Hope you'll be back on your bike soon enough.

Per the pianos in CN/CA series, they have built-in Alfred lessons but it seems these are only the first year lessons. Will it be possible to load 2nd/3rd year lessons into these pianos later? For that matter, can I acquire this capability for Kawai ES6 (which is under consideration), a Kawai piano of the same generation as the CN series pianos, i.e. by loading Alfred lessons on a computer connected to ES6?

But it is not just the stored Alfred piano lessons, it is also what Kawai has done with their pianos to work with the Alfred lessons: they can slow down to make it easier to play along; they can also mute either the left- or right- hand portion so the player can focus on the fingering of one opposite hand.

In another thread, in response to my question on auto-accompaniment, robdean was kind enough to share the info on a software called "Amazing Slow Downer", so presumably one can acquire the slow-down capability with the software loaded on a computer.

As for the muting of left/right hand, I am not sure how necessary it is. This sounds like an interesting and potentially useful feature, but haven't people been learning how to play the piano with one hand at a time, then combining two hands on a piano for ages?

But I must admit that, with the built-in Alfred lessons, along with specific technologies designed to make learning easier, have made the CA/CN pianos very attractive to this aspiring beginner. I only wish these features are available on the ES6, or somewhat retrofitted into ES6.

These are probably not appropriate questions for this forum. I will head over to Adult Beginners Forum to do more research over there.
Posted by: Jeff Clef

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 07:18 PM

"I went out cycling during my lunch break... and slipped on some wet metal grating in the road... on this occasion my shoe didn't disengage from the pedal - I came off the bike but my foot stayed with it... a badly torn ligament means no cycling for 3-4 months. ;("

I hope you're better soon, James! I've taken a few bad spills on my bike through the years, but never took to the toe clips for the very reason you mentioned--- maybe I wasn't entirely paranoid after all. Back in the day, Atlanta used to have drainage grates all over town with a slot just wide enough to eat a bike tire to the hubs (and plenty of rain and slick conditions--- and this was before helmets; I had never heard of a bike helmet back then). Sure did love to ride, though, and never put on a single pound for almost thirty years.

They can work near-miracles with those fiber-optic surgery techniques, so with some luck and rest, you'll never know it even happened.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 07:29 PM

James, sorry to hear of your biking accident. I hope things heal quickly for you!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 10:32 PM

Thanks again for you kind words chaps.

The plaster cast was removed the other day, but I am having to wear ankle support strapping all day to keep the joint at a right-angle. I can just about walk and get up and down stairs, but it's clearly going to be some time before I'll be back in the saddle again.

Anyway, back to the thread...

Originally Posted By: YoungH
Per the pianos in CN/CA series, they have built-in Alfred lessons but it seems these are only the first year lessons. Will it be possible to load 2nd/3rd year lessons into these pianos later?

Current CA/CN models feature the following built-in Alfred lesson books:

CN23: Alfred's Basic Piano Library 1A&1B
CN33: Alfred's Basic Piano Library 1A&1B, Alfred's Premier Piano Course 1A&1B
CA63/CA93: Alfred's Basic Piano Library 1A&1B, Alfred's Premier Piano Course 1A&1B, Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course 1

I'm afraid it is not possible to upgrade the built-in lesson books with newer or more advanced material.

For that matter, can I acquire this capability for Kawai ES6 (which is under consideration), a Kawai piano of the same generation as the CN series pianos, i.e. by loading Alfred lessons on a computer connected to ES6?

Unfortunately it's not possible to upgrade the ES6's software to add the lesson functionality of the CN/CA. However by connecting the instrument to a computer and replaying each Alfred song as a MIDI (assuming that the MIDI files are available) it should be possible to recreate much of the Kawai DP's functionality (adjusting tempo, muting left/right hand) - albeit with the convenience of operating the lessons from the instrument directly.

As for the muting of left/right hand, I am not sure how necessary it is. This sounds like an interesting and potentially useful feature, but haven't people been learning how to play the piano with one hand at a time, then combining two hands on a piano for ages?

Yes, you're absolutely right. However, I believe the benefit of muting the left/right hand during playback is that it allows the player to play alone and 'hear' how the piece should be performed with both hands.

But I must admit that, with the built-in Alfred lessons, along with specific technologies designed to make learning easier, have made the CA/CN pianos very attractive to this aspiring beginner. I only wish these features are available on the ES6, or somewhat retrofitted into ES6.

I agree, the built-in Alfred lessons (Czerny, Burgmüller, etc. etudes on models sold in mainland Europe) are a useful addition for beginners - especially when combined with the notated scores. Including such functionality on the ES6 would be a nice addition, however this instrument is intended as a stage piano for gigging musicians.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/29/10 11:55 PM

Jeff, your portrayal of the Atlanta roads sounds pretty treacherous. Hamamatsu isn't quite so bad, thankfully, however it does have its fair share of cracks, potholes, and wheel-swallowing gaps at the side of the road.

I was in pretty good shape when I came off, but now I'm feeling my muscle tone start to decline - it's horrible. ;(

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/30/10 05:19 AM

When I was practicing yesterday I discovered the "string resonance" in the CN-33.
I read about this before buying the piano but didn't think so much of it. But after experimenting a bit with it on the CN-33 I was pleasently surprised.

Another thing I'd like to point out again is the ivory key touch.
It was one of the reasons why I chose the CN-33 over one of the Yamaha's that I was trying out.
Looking back on it I am very happy this keyboard has the ivory touch. The keys surface feel so smooth and pleasant.

I will keep updating my continueing experiences with the CN-33.
And I'm very glad to see other people enjoying this piano as well.

Fred
Posted by: eyst

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/30/10 06:19 AM

got mine today in satin black!

don't think I can assemble it alone so will try over the weekend!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/30/10 08:41 AM

Let the sun come up in this part of the world, Fred, and I'll send you a photo of my solution of where to put dangerous, wet things like coffee cups, and shreddy things like where to mark and erase scores with pencils--- yes, you can have it all. I like the mp8ii's features but wish it could have the form factor of your cn-33... except that it would be nice to have the foot pedal and expression pedal integrated into the pedal lyre. Thanks for including the photos, it looks like such a nice place to play.

"Jeff, your portrayal of the Atlanta roads sounds pretty treacherous. Hamamatsu ...[has] its fair share of cracks, potholes, and wheel-swallowing gaps at the side of the road."

Atlanta was actually a beautiful place to live back then. Every place has its hazards, and cyclists are uniquely exposed to them. San Jose has a tree that sheds thorns that will, 100% guaranteed, put your bike tires out of business. So we have to not only watch the road, but the air.

"I was in pretty good shape when I came off, but now I'm feeling my muscle tone start to decline - it's horrible. ;("

It will come back, James. You will be a stronger athlete in the end. Those tendon injuries are worth tending, they are uniquely unforgiving. I have to guard the left arm when playing the AP to this day because of a bike injury years ago; I should have done what you're doing now.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/31/10 02:56 PM

James,

Thanks for your info on the various built-in Alfred lesson books for the different Kawai models.

Unfortunately it's not possible to upgrade the ES6's software to add the lesson functionality of the CN/CA. However by connecting the instrument to a computer and replaying each Alfred song as a MIDI (assuming that the MIDI files are available) it should be possible to recreate much of the Kawai DP's functionality (adjusting tempo, muting left/right hand) - albeit with the convenience of operating the lessons from the instrument directly.

Could you please elaborate on your comment that, by replaying MIDI files, one can adjust tempo and mute left/right hand? I presume some additional software on the computer will need to be acquired?

I have read on one of the forum threads that MacBook Pro has "Garage Band". I wonder if such functionalities are already built-in features of "Garage Band"? Unfortunately I am a PC user. What will I need to acquire such functionalities for PC? Or will I have to go the MacBook Pro route?

YoungH
Posted by: Johan B

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/31/10 03:24 PM

Kawai James,

So you have been unlucky.......so sorry for you.

Wish you all the best and speedy recovery thumb thumb

Keep smiling boy. eek smile blush

Best regards
Johan B
Posted by: Johan B

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/31/10 03:52 PM

Mawima, Fred and Spanishbuddha....nice pics of the Kawai.

James you can be proud of the product you're working for....

Best regards,

Johan B

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/31/10 05:07 PM

More great CN33 pics from eyst are here.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/31/10 07:38 PM

Could you please elaborate on your comment that, by replaying MIDI files, one can adjust tempo and mute left/right hand? I presume some additional software on the computer will need to be acquired?

I believe most, if not all MIDI sequencing software allows the playback tempo to be adjusted, and for individual tracks to be turned on and off. As suggested, it's perhaps not as convenient as controlling everything from piano's control panel, however it's certainly possible.

GarageBand is only available for Mac OS, however similar applications do exist, ranging in price and complexity.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/31/10 07:40 PM

Johan B,

Thank you, I'm trying to remain as positive about my injury as possible.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/01/10 01:35 AM

I believe most, if not all MIDI sequencing software allows the playback tempo to be adjusted, and for individual tracks to be turned on and off. ...

GarageBand is only available for Mac OS, however similar applications do exist, ranging in price and complexity.

James,

Thank you very much for the info of MIDI sequencing software, and for your comment on GarageBand.

YoungH
Posted by: bluebilly

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/05/10 05:33 PM

-
I finally ordered my CN-33, I did one more trip around the piano dealers, re-tried the competition, and decided the CN-33 was the best buy. I did consider the CA-63 but decided the CN-33 had my basic requirements, a nice keyboard and a nice grand piano sound. I've only ordered my CN-33 30 minutes ago on-line so I'm not aware of the delivery date yet. I'll try to post pictures when I get it but the room it's going into is so small there's barely room for me, the piano, desk, printers and bookcases, I may have to take the door of the room off to get the piano in. Unfortunately my long legs negate my buying a compact piano and I can't compete with my wife's 42" TV, and constant soap operas, in our living room where I would have more space, so, in the interests of marital bliss I'm putting the piano back into my study.

BTW. O/T. James, I empathise with your recent cycling accident, I too am an avid cyclist, up until 10 years ago I used to make annual trips cycle-camping down through France into Spain. These days I do three rides per week of around 20 miles, just for the exercise.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/05/10 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bluebilly
-
I finally ordered my CN-33, I did one more trip around the piano dealers, re-tried the competition, and decided the CN-33 was the best buy. I did consider the CA-63 but decided the CN-33 had my basic requirements, a nice keyboard and a nice grand piano sound. I've only ordered my CN-33 30 minutes ago on-line so I'm not aware of the delivery date yet. I'll try to post pictures when I get it but the room it's going into is so small there's barely room for me, the piano, desk, printers and bookcases, I may have to take the door of the room off to get the piano in. Unfortunately my long legs negate my buying a compact piano and I can't compete with my wife's 42" TV, and constant soap operas, in our living room where I would have more space, so, in the interests of marital bliss I'm putting the piano back into my study.

BTW. O/T. James, I empathise with your recent cycling accident, I too am an avid cyclist, up until 10 years ago I used to make annual trips cycle-camping down through France into Spain. These days I do three rides per week of around 20 miles, just for the exercise.
-

Yes! Another CN33 player from the UK and on PW. Congrats. Looking forward to the photo's when yours is delivered.

I ordered from a local store and got a price close to, but not quite as good as the best you can find on Google for an Internet retailer. I will update the prices thread after 3 months (at the request of the dealer).

OT: I'm a fair weather cyclist, so not that regular in the UK smile but cycling in the UK on public roads is dicey IMHO (probable understatement). I've been lucky so far, touch wood.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/05/10 06:07 PM

bluebilly/crusader, congratulations!

Which finish did you go for, just out of interest?
And, if you don't mind my asking, is there a particular reason why you opted to purchase the instrument online, rather than from the dealer's shop?

O/T: A friend has recently returned from a cycling tour throughout Europe. It's certainly something I would also love to do in the future, however for the time being I shall just focus on returning to fitness and building back up to my regular riding schedule, before continuing to explore Japan. This time last year I was riding to Tokyo, currently I'd just be happy to make it to the supermarket and back.

Anyway, good luck with your CN33, getting the door off your study, and maintaining marital bliss. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/06/10 12:05 AM

Hi James,
I went for the Rosewood finish and saved around £200 purchasing on-line from Germany. However, I've only placed the order so far, I'm expecting to receive email confirmation today.
Posted by: Daniela Danesi

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/07/10 07:23 PM

Hi everyone,
I also got my new kawai cn 33 the last week: I'm very happy about the feel, the keys and the sound too. I took it mahogany and I like it so much. I had to buy it in Germany on line because in Italy it was selt in very few shops but everything went fine about the delivery.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/07/10 08:25 PM

Congratulations on your new piano Daniela, and welcome to the forum!

Great choice of finish too - Mahogany is also my personal favourite (it looks really terrific in the brochure...).

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/07/10 08:51 PM

Hi James,
as soon as possible I will send a piano's pic. I also better like the mahogany forniture. I really think this piano is so great choise considering the price and the quality of the sound and the keyboard. I didn't think the speakers could work so good when I tried it in a music contest in Bologna ( I must admit that was a so big noise mess there) but they do so well at home even if the power is only 20 watts.
In the start I wanted to buy the ca 63 but then I decided for the cn 33 also to spare some money and I'm very happy now about my choise.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/07/10 08:57 PM

I saw in a shop on line a new color forniture : the white one :-)
It seems kawai is going to launch other colors of our favourite piano. I think the kawai cn 33 is going to be appreciate on the market.
Greetings

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/07/10 09:08 PM

Daniela, yes, we're adding a white model to the line-up. wink

It's obviously not for everyone, however I'm sure some consumers will appreciate the ability to match the piano with the rest of their furniture.

May I ask where you saw the CN33W online, by the way?

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/07/10 09:15 PM

I saw it in a german shop on line called "bauer - music" and it was already on sell. Is that model different from the other ones only about the color or about something else?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/07/10 09:24 PM

Daniela, thank you.

To answer your question, the technical specifications of the white CN33 are identical to the standard finish models. The changes are purely cosmetic (white cabinet, white panel strip).

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/08/10 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Daniela Danesi
Hi everyone,
I also got my new kawai cn 33 the last week: I'm very happy about the feel, the keys and the sound too. I took it mahogany and I like it so much. I had to buy it in Germany on line because in Italy it was selt in very few shops but everything went fine about the delivery.

Daniela, welcome to the growing PW group of CN33 players. It's a great DP. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/08/10 10:16 AM

Hi spanishbuddha I have already taken some pics of my new cn 33 but I don't know how I can send them on the forum from my pc. I'm a little clumpsy about all these technical things and I'm also new on the forum :-) The most problems is how I can put the pics on the display forum. Could you help me pls.
Best regards

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/08/10 01:27 PM

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...html#Post908865

This describes how to send images to the PW 'holding cell' and then insert them in a post. It seems clumsy at first, but it's not actually hard if you 'cut-and-paste' the image location from the e-mail PW sends you.

It would be great to see your photos of your music room.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/08/10 03:07 PM

I hope it's working now that should to show my new DP Kawai cn 33. thanks especially to Jeff who explained me how to send the pics.
Greetings

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/08/10 03:50 PM

Hi Daniela, thanks for the pic. I had not seen a mahogany finish before, except in the brochures. Looks great.

I guess that you had to assemble it yourself if it was an Internet delivery?

Enjoy your CN33. It's a great DP from Kawai, really good value for the price.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/08/10 11:49 PM

Congratulation to your CN33. The Mahagony looks great as well. Also the bench matches the pianos color very nicely.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/09/10 07:09 AM

Hi spanishbuddha and Mawima, yes I am so happy with my new DP. Spanishbuddha I couldn't assemble it alone because the keyboard was heavy fortunally a couple of friends helped me so it was easy and fast.
If I must be honest they did the hard work:-)
That should be interesting to know what setting are you using for your cn 33 to share some suggestions.
Greetings

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/09/10 07:28 AM

I just received email confirming my order for my CN-33 is being processed, I'm just waiting for a delivery date now.....exciting ain't it?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/09/10 07:49 AM

Hi spanishbuddha and Mawima, yes I am so happy with my new DP. Spanishbuddha I couldn't assemble it alone because the keyboard was heavy fortunally a couple of friends helped me so it was easy and fast.
That should be interesting to know what setting are you using for your cn 33 to share some suggestions.
Greetings

Currently, I am using the Mellow Grand (Piano 1 / 3) for solo piano ... practicing and playing along. I set the damper effect and string resonance to 10. I saved these as default.

When playing together with natural instruments (Saxophone, Clarinete), I rather use Concert Grand or Studio Grand. Mellow Grand is just too mellow then and less audible as Sax and Clarinete can be very loud.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/09/10 08:07 AM

I saved as default:
Sound:Concert Grand 1
Reverb: Stage
Touch: Normal
Damper Resonance: 8
Strings Resonance: 7
Sometimes I also use the Mellow Grand 1 or the Studio Grand 1

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/09/10 02:07 PM

Greetings

Daniela

When I first got the CN33 the main change I made to the standard settings was the touch. I set it to Heavy1. However, after a few weeks I have now set it back to Normal.

I also changed the default sound to Piano 1, #2. But I use Piano1, #1, #2, #3, also Piano 2, #2, all the time, depending on the music I'm playing (err, trying to play) or whether I have headphones on or using the speakers. As far as I can tell you can only save 1 default start up sound :-(

I also like layering Piano1 sounds with Piano2 sounds, but have not found a way of storing a preference for that.

I've played around with some of the other settings, reverb, echo, timbre and so on, but have left them all at the default.

As a beginner I have found the Concert magic demo's/lessons useful, especially the ability to decrease the volume of one hand so you can play along with the other hand. My Fur Elise is now nearly concert ready :-) But I'm not following Alfred's courses.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/09/10 06:04 PM

Hi Spanishbuddha,
I am also a begginer. I have started to play almost since a year ago not with a teacher but with some cdrom using a casio with 61 keys that seemed a toy. I know it's not the same as to get lessons by a teacher but anyway I play piano to enjoy and not to get a professional pianist.
Now I'm sure with the cn 33 I will able to improve my playing also about the weighted keys.
You're right it's very funny to play concert magic that also can help you to adjust the ryhtme in the pieces that you are going to play for yourself later as "Fur Elise".
Unfortunally in the european kawai cn 33 line that wasn't the Alfred's courses...ok that doesn't matter -:)
Enjoy your cn 33
Greetings

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/10/10 01:23 PM

-
I was walking over the Malvern Hills, listening to Elgar's Cello Concerto on my MP3 player, when I had a text message from the German piano supplier telling me my CN-33 had been shipped. My guess is it may arrive on Thursday.....will I be able to sleep until then?
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/10/10 01:59 PM

....and then after when you will get the new cn 33 you won't sleep anymore because you will be always playing it-:)))) You will see you will like the new DP a lot. Let me know when you will get it and I hope some friends can help you to assemble everyting because the keyboards is quite heavy.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/10/10 03:02 PM

Hi again to Mawima and Daniela

About your settings.

Now the strange thing perhaps, maybe also a little sad, is that I have never played a real or acoustic piano in my life! So I'm curious about the settings you changed for damper and strings resonance. Does that make it sound more like a real piano?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/10/10 03:25 PM

spanishbuddha, so we seem to be the club of beginners with a CN33 cool

I also have not really played an acoustic piano other than some occasional playing at some friends pianos. Even my teacher has a digital piano for the lessons.

The string resonances enrich the sound with some more liveliness. You can check yourself. Press some keys very slightly and keep them pressed. Hit the same keys staccato one octave higher. You will hear some kind of ringing from the lower notes.

The same thing happens accidantially, if you just play a piece of music both hands together.

The effects settings are default at 5. So you can hear it, but not very loud. That is why I increased them to 7 first and currently to 10. 10 is probably a lot. But it is just a matter of taste.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/10/10 04:19 PM

Hey, you should really try to find some place to have the opportunity to play a real acoustic piano for some extended time! It will help a lot to understand what makes playing the piano so unique! I still would love to own my own acoustic piano but cannot play it since I can only play at nighttime and my kids are sleeping then... It's a pity!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/10/10 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: mucci
Hey, you should really try to find some place to have the opportunity to play a real acoustic piano for some extended time! It will help a lot to understand what makes playing the piano so unique! I still would love to own my own acoustic piano but cannot play it since I can only play at nighttime and my kids are sleeping then... It's a pity!

Yes I agree. There are some practice rooms in London that I plan to use on my next visit there, probably December. I could have done it last month but I was waiting until I had some pieces at a reasonable level. They have both uprights and grands available, at a reasonable price for one hour. It sounds like I should try a grand, but then maybe not, in case I want one :-)

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/10/10 05:57 PM

Hi Spanishbuddha,
I tried some acoustic uprights only few times and for short because I was embarassed to play among some people when I'm not able enough.
So I thaught it was a good idea to buy a DP to improve my hands on the keyboard.
Of course the feelings of an acoustic one is different but for now I'm practicing on my cn 33.
In a future when I will get better anyway I would like to take an upright too.
It's a great idea to go to some parctice rooms to play an acoustic one.
Can you have the possiblity there to stay alone in a small room or must you share the room with other people who can lissen to you?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/11/10 01:23 PM

Hi Spanishbuddha,
I tried some acoustic uprights only few times and for short because I was embarassed to play among some people when I'm not able enough.
So I thaught it was a good idea to buy a DP to improve my hands on the keyboard.
Of course the feelings of an acoustic one is different but for now I'm practicing on my cn 33.
Can you have the possiblity there to stay alone in a small room or must you share the room with other people who can lissen to you?

Daniela, the practice rooms in London have several rooms each separate with a piano either upright or grand. You can book in advance the type of room/piano you want. They are, AFAIK, private so us beginners can keep any embarrassment to ourselves. Here's the link for anyone else interested: Jacques Samuel practice rooms

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/11/10 04:34 PM

Hi Spanishbuddha,

Daniela, the practice rooms in London have several rooms each separate with a piano either upright or grand. You can book in advance the type of room/piano you want. They are, AFAIK, private so us beginners can keep any embarrassment to ourselves. Here's the link for anyone else interested: Jacques Samuel practice rooms

Thanks for the link spanishbuddha, next time I'm down the smoke I'll give that a try, we don't seem to have anything similar here in the Midlands. The only acoustic piano I have access to is an old Dale Forty upright owned by friend of mine, it sounds like an out of tune, honky tonk, piano but I don't like to tell him that. grin

Daniela Denesi, I'm sure I'll be playing the new CN-33 24/7 when it arrives, I've no one to help me assemble it but I'll get around it...somehow.
-
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/12/10 01:27 PM

-
Thursday has almost gone, I'm still waiting on my piano, tomorrow I'll go see my doctor to get him to prescribe me tranquillisers. grin
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/12/10 01:46 PM

-
Thursday has almost gone, I'm still waiting on my piano, tomorrow I'll go see my doctor to get him to prescribe me tranquillisers. grin
-

bluebilly, it might be more likely tomorrow now it should arrive. In any case I hope you've not made any other plans for the weekend, so you can have a CN33 love-in! smile

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/12/10 07:02 PM

bluebilly, I strongly recommend you ask a friend or family member to assist with the CN33 assembly. The main keyboard unit is very heavy and ought to be lifted by at least two people.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/13/10 01:55 PM

OK James, I'll get help...I'm still awaiting delivery.

BTW, OT, Any Brits buying from Germany, get yourselves a Santander 0% Credit Card otherwise you get charged ~3% foreign transaction fees.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/13/10 04:24 PM

-
Why can't we get demo's like THIS in English?
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/13/10 07:26 PM

bluebilly, these video clips are produced by Kawai Europe. They're very nicely put together, however I agree, English language versions should also be available.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/13/10 07:53 PM

For the kawai cn 33 fans I think this video can be appreciated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8E7gNc1S_E
Greetings

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/15/10 04:07 PM

-
O/T, I've created a new thread HERE for cyclist/pianists to talk about cycling, or post pics. I my case I could be loosely described as a piano player....perhaps a pianist one day.
-
Posted by: ak888

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/15/10 05:57 PM

Hi - been searching for a piano and have settled for the CN-33 after comparing with various Yamaha and ROland DPs. I'm in London and wondered if anyone can point me to a decent dealer who can supply at a decent price! I have come across Rose Morris who initially pointed me to the Kawai over the Yamaha - however one of the comments was that they had wooden keys and hence a much better feel. Subsequent research shows otherwise (even though I still prefer the feel over the Yamaha). So have lost a bit of confidence in purchasing from them. Reluctant to also purchase from thomann.de as there have bee lots of mixed reviews and I would like more local support for warranty etc.

I have searched the kawai uk website but can't find a list of dealers. Any help appreciated.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/15/10 06:00 PM

Great idea bluebilly!

I just posted some pics. wink

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: FogVilleLad

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/15/10 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ak888
I have come across Rose Morris who initially pointed me to the Kawai over the Yamaha - however one of the comments was that they had wooden keys and hence a much better feel. Subsequent research shows otherwise (even though I still prefer the feel over the Yamaha). So have lost a bit of confidence in purchasing from them.

Ignore your feelings about the rep and buy the DP that you prefer. Reps are trained to present the positive aspects/selling points of what they're selling. It's the consumers' job to balance that presentation with independent research. You've done what a consumer should do.

Frankly the dealer's main value, post sale, is as a conduit to the distributor if warranty issues arise. Those are rare.

If you like that Kawai, take it home and play it until you couldn't care less whom you bought it from;-)

If you don't already own a set of good headphones, you might want to try auditioning good 'phones.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/15/10 08:43 PM

ak888,

Some Kawai instruments (CA/CP range, MP8II) do feature wooden keys, however the CN range do not - they utilise a plastic key keyboard.

While this is an oversight from the Rose Morris sales person, however I don't believe this should dissuade you from purchasing from the store - especially if you like the feel of the instrument overall.

As for other UK dealers, may I suggest you email Kawai UK and ask for a list of the closest stores in your city/county.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/16/10 03:23 PM

-
Hi ak888, Here's a list of Kawai dealers in the UK, however there are two dealers omitted, Salop Music Centre, Shrewsbury and Broughton Pianos, Belbroughton, near Birmingham, there may be more.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/16/10 03:48 PM

-
I was walking on the Clee Hills in Shropshire today, I had stopped for my sandwich lunch at 12 noon when I got a call on my cellphone telling me the delivery driver was at my house with my new piano!! no one had contacted me with a delivery date!!. The good news is my piano is being delivered tomorrow before noon.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/16/10 04:50 PM

-
Hi ak888, Here's a list of Kawai dealers in the UK, however there are two dealers omitted, Salop Music Centre, Shrewsbury and Broughton Pianos, Belbroughton, near Birmingham, there may be more.
-

Thanks bluebilly - I've not even had a reply from Kawai UK yet!
Posted by: Vectistim

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/16/10 04:50 PM

In the Buying a DP CA63/HP307/CLP340 thread Vishal got a good deal from Sheargold on a CA93 - they have a branch in Cobham, so depending which side of London you are they might be relatively local.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/17/10 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: ak888
-
-

Thanks bluebilly - I've not even had a reply from Kawai UK yet!

You could always give KAWAI UK a ring, they're only in Milton Keynes.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/17/10 01:43 PM

-
My CN-33 arrived this morning, so far I've managed to get it to the entrance to my study by myself after lugging it up two flights of stairs with a half landing in between, don't try this at home, I'm 6'4" and last time I looked in the mirror, 16 stone of muscle. I'm now waiting on one of my son-in-laws to help me lift it onto it's stand, I'm not looking forward to it, he's bigger than me and my daughter often describes as being like "Frank Spenser"...ooch!!.
-
Posted by: superwang

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/17/10 01:54 PM

Is "Frank Spenser" someone clumsy?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/17/10 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: superwang
Is "Frank Spenser" someone clumsy?

Any Brits around will know the Frank Spencer Guy from the TV shows....he was "clumsy". grin
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/18/10 12:37 PM

-
I finally got my piano set up, my daughter helped lift the main unit onto the stand, not that difficult but it would have been awkward for one to handle. I haven't put it into it's final position yet I couldn't wait to try it out. I've settled on H1 for the touch setting but need to keep tying other settings to find my favourites.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/18/10 01:23 PM

Congrats bluebilly, at last eh! Any chance of a foto or two? This weekend .... smile

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/18/10 06:26 PM

Congrats bluebilly, at last eh! Any chance of a foto or two? This weekend .... smile

Yep, once I get it into it's final position I'll take a photo, it's in a tiny room and I'm trying to rearrange furniture. The ideal place was in front of the window but it faces West and I get the Sun pouring through it in the latter half of the day.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/20/10 07:53 AM

-
I finally manoeuvred the piano into it's finished position, and took a photo, I couldn't get far enough away to take a full width shot, the room is so small....sorry about the sloppy shot, I wa balancing on my heels. smile

My old piano stool doesn't colour match but I got a matching adjustable bench with the piano so I might change them over, the new one wouldn't take up so much room. I'm playing "To a Wild Rose" to test the piano settings, a kind of middle of the road type of music...and at my level. I really like being able to save settings once I've decided which ones I like. Due to the size of the room I can't use the volume above the level of the third dot but I had the same thing with my previous piano, not a problem, especially when I wear headphones. I'm just going to experiment with string resonance, the one big difference I notice between the sound of a DP and an Acoustic so a nice additional function on the CN-33.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/20/10 09:33 AM

Thanks for sharing. Interesting bench. At some point you're gonna have to take the protection off the pedals smile I've still got the protection on the display tho'.

Mine is also in a small room, possibly a bit larger than yours and I don't think I've had the volume above half way.

At first I though it was a shame you can only save one default piano sound setting, but I've since found I switch piano sounds around quite a lot to suit the different types of music I try to play.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/20/10 01:46 PM

Thanks for sharing. Interesting bench. At some point you're gonna have to take the protection off the pedals smile I've still got the protection on the display tho'.

Mine is also in a small room, possibly a bit larger than yours and I don't think I've had the volume above half way.

At first I though it was a shame you can only save one default piano sound setting, but I've since found I switch piano sounds around quite a lot to suit the different types of music I try to play.

My user manual says to remove the plastic film from the display but as far as I can tell there is no film on it.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/20/10 01:50 PM

My user manual says to remove the plastic film from the display but as far as I can tell there is no film on it.
-

Yes there is, I just peeled it off. grin
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/20/10 08:26 PM

Congratulations on your new piano bluebilly, and thank you for posting that 'up close and personal' photo. wink

I'm glad that you were able to assemble the CN33 with your daughter (rather than Frank Spenser...), and that it fits snuggly into your room.

However, even though you have that lovely new piano to enjoy, please don't neglect to ride your Dawes - at least, not until the summer and autumn have passed.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/21/10 04:03 AM

-
Hi James, I'm afraid I will be locked in with my new piano for a few days so the bike will have a breather. I was just going register my piano with Kawai for the warranty is there somewhere on-line one can do this?
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/21/10 04:07 AM

bluebilly,

Quote:
I was just going register my piano with Kawai for the warranty is there somewhere on-line one can do this?

No, I'm afraid not - just the good old fashioned method of paper, pen, and carrier pigeon.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/21/10 03:53 PM

bluebilly,

Quote:
I was just going register my piano with Kawai for the warranty is there somewhere on-line one can do this?

No, I'm afraid not - just the good old fashioned method of paper, pen, and carrier pigeon.

Cheers,
James
x

Hmmm... I didn't know about this. How's it done? In my case I bought it from a local store and they said they would handle the warranty for me and with Kawai.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/22/10 01:44 AM

bluebilly,

Quote:

Cheers,
James
x

Hmmm... I didn't know about this. How's it done? In my case I bought it from a local store and they said they would handle the warranty for me and with Kawai.

That's right, your retailer should honour the warranty, at least for the first year. However, in these troubled times, remember Woolworth's, who'd have thought it? My German supplier gives a three year on site warranty also but I thought it a good idea to register my piano with Kawai. HERE'S a blank form to complete and return to Kawai in Milton Keynes, this form came with a Kawai piano I bought for my granddaughter awhile ago, not with my present piano.

-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/22/10 02:19 AM

bluebilly,

Quote:

Cheers,
James
x

That's right, your retailer should honour the warranty, at least for the first year. However, in these troubled times, remember Woolworth's, who'd have thought it? My German supplier gives a three year on site warranty also but I thought it a good idea to register my piano with Kawai. HERE'S a blank form to complete and return to Kawai in Milton Keynes, this form came with a Kawai piano I bought for my granddaughter awhile ago, not with my present piano.
-

Although, thinking about it, I may have downloaded that form from the Kawai website at the time....senior moment perhaps?
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/22/10 02:29 AM

-
As my piano was purchased from outside the UK it may be my completed form will not be validated, I posted it anyway.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/22/10 06:26 AM

Thanks for the warranty form.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/23/10 11:48 AM

-
Just a thought, we Hi-Jacked Fred Lierman's thread, sorry Fred.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/02/10 06:04 AM

Thanks to the thread for help in purchasing my CN-33. Followed the advice from another thread (highlighted in this thread) about Sheargold. I bought from there for a princely sum of 1200 GBP with a free set of headphones as well. However, it doesn't come with a bench and the ones they have are way outside my budget.

I am on a search for a bench now - but wondered what peoples thoughts were between an adjustable bench or a fixed bench. I'm an adult but the piano is also for my 7 year old daughter to learn on. I can see the benefit of adjustment but a fixed bench usually has storage (great benefit - we live in a flat and any additional storage like this is welcome). Would a fixed bench be ok for my daughter?
Posted by: Pam T

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/02/10 07:45 AM

Congratulations on the new piano -- it's beautiful! Hope you enjoy!
Posted by: munq

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/02/10 07:50 AM

He Ak888, I also just ordered the CN33 (a few days ago from a Dutch retailer). You seem to be located in the UK so i'd like to suggest the following: the adjustable bench from Thomann for only 55 euros! I received it today and it looks perfect! Here's the link http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kb10bm.htm?sid=dc9a5fcfaeb0d48bc89c6cf58ab0f483

cheers

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/02/10 10:19 AM

ak888, congratulations on your new piano!

Regarding your query, I learnt to play on a fixed bench (with lots of space inside for scales and those dreaded music theory books...), but I definitely see the benefits of an adjustable bench.

I'm not sure if this was the point you were making, however if your daughter is struggling to reach the pedals, you may wish to look into renting a set of pedal extenders.

Ah, once you decide on the bench, please do take a shot or two of the new piano in your home.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/02/10 01:46 PM

Congratulations ak888. You and your daughter should enjoy the CN33. We'd love it if you can share photo(s) once it's in place.

I also don't have a proper bench, and am reluctant to invest in one without a back rest. I do suggest you consider an adjustable bench for yourself and daughter as the position and posture is so important. Unless of course you're handy with a saw and have lots of spare books to mount it on smile

For my own case I've been looking at drummer's thrones, but they don't really match the decor, so I am told! frown

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/03/10 10:12 AM

I will post photos as soon as I order a bench! Have actually found that Thomann do an adjustable bench with storgae on top which aswers both my questions - and comes in rosewood! Bit more than what I would like to spend but would be worth it!
Posted by: munq

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/10/10 07:56 AM

My CN33 arrived last wednesday after a long wait but it was well worth it, i'm absolutely adoring it!

Anyway, to fuel the discussion on this DP in this thread, i'd like to invite all of you to share your thoughts on the best settings/voices and to elaborate on that smile

I haven't tried all settings yet but I lean to the Mellow Grand 1 whenever playing.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/10/10 08:58 PM

munq, congrats on your new piano. wink

Please don't forget to post a photo once you've got the room arranged as you like it. wink

Regarding best settings/voices, it may be worth trying out some of TADutchman's CA93/CA63 layered sound suggestions. Obviously the CAs offer quite a lot more control over the tonal character of the sound, however the CNs should still sound pretty great. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/11/10 03:52 PM

-
After much trying and listening I've presently settled for the following settings: Piano = 1/3 (Mellow), Reverb = Stage, the rest of the settings I've left at makers default. I'm still amazed at how great this piano sounds, it makes me want to keep playing so my playing is improving rapidly.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/11/10 07:49 PM

I'm still amazed at how great this piano sounds, it makes me want to keep playing so my playing is improving rapidly.

That's a ringing endorsement if ever I heard one - many thanks for that bluebilly!

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/12/10 06:51 AM

-
After much trying and listening I've presently settled for the following settings: Piano = 1/3 (Mellow), Reverb = Stage, the rest of the settings I've left at makers default. I'm still amazed at how great this piano sounds, it makes me want to keep playing so my playing is improving rapidly.
-

My two favourites are Piano 1-2 Mellow Grand and Piano 2-2 Studio Grand2. Sometimes the Mellow is too mellow for the piece and the Studio is too 'sharp' (not sure of the adjective to use, maybe also 'attack') for the piece; then there is the fun of layering them on top of each other and varying the degree of mellow or sharpness that comes through. Sorry for the poor descriptions, you can tell I don't have a musical background and the ageing ears aren't too clear any more either. But as bluebilly says this is a great DP and the sounds and music it can make are fantastic.

Edit to add I've just discovered you can save the selected layering of sounds. That's really good.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/13/10 03:47 AM

-
-

My two favourites are Piano 1-2 Mellow Grand and Piano 2-2 Studio Grand2. Sometimes the Mellow is too mellow for the piece and the Studio is too 'sharp' (not sure of the adjective to use, maybe also 'attack') for the piece; then there is the fun of layering them on top of each other and varying the degree of mellow or sharpness that comes through. Sorry for the poor descriptions, you can tell I don't have a musical background and the ageing ears aren't too clear any more either. But as bluebilly says this is a great DP and the sounds and music it can make are fantastic.

Edit to add I've just discovered you can save the selected layering of sounds. That's really good.

spanishbudda, I haven't sat and studied the users instructions too much yet, I've been busy playing, but where do I look to discover how to layer sounds?
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/13/10 11:53 AM

bluebilly, it's deceptively easy, to get started just hold down two voice buttons at the same time and release, and they should both be selected (light on). The balance slider then affects the proportion or weighting of each voice coming through. Slightly trickier to then scroll through the different sub-voices (like piano 1-2-3-4, etc) but subsequent clicks of the button (whilst holding down the other one you want to remain) scrolls through it. Sounds tricky but 30 seconds fiddling and you should get it.
Posted by: Amajor

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/14/10 01:30 PM

Here's my new sweetheart CN-33, just got it pre-assembled last weekend and haven't slept since then.

Thank you everybody on this forum for providing insightful advice and opinions! They helped enormously when I was comparing the digital pianos and trying to choose the right one for me. And I'm sure I made the right choice!

I could never have guessed though that this strict piano-purist would one day turn into a happy owner of a great DP. Life is surprising. wink

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/14/10 01:45 PM

Way to go Amajor! Congratulations. Stay in touch too.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/14/10 02:33 PM

bluebilly, it's deceptively easy, to get started just hold down two voice buttons at the same time and release, and they should both be selected (light on). The balance slider then affects the proportion or weighting of each voice coming through. Slightly trickier to then scroll through the different sub-voices (like piano 1-2-3-4, etc) but subsequent clicks of the button (whilst holding down the other one you want to remain) scrolls through it. Sounds tricky but 30 seconds fiddling and you should get it.

Thanks spanishbudda, I found it on page 13 of the owners manual "Dual Mode".
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/14/10 05:13 PM

Congrats on your new DP Amajor - it looks really great!

Which headphones are you using there, by the way?

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/14/10 05:16 PM

Hi Amajor:-)
I'm glad to hear you like your new DP. I really thimk you got the right choise to buy it.
I'm also very happy about my cn 33.
Greetings
Posted by: hiremathsc

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/15/10 11:45 AM

Hello,
From past one month or so I've been visiting this forum and watching all sort of advice, interest and suggestion about various brands and models of pianos.
A huge thank you for all you guys for providing valuable suggestion and sharing your experience.

Coming to myself & my experience:
I am total newbie and wanted to buy piano for my daughter who is in grade two and has passion about music and very much interested to go up to grade 8 ?!.
However, I myself very keen to learn piano and to start learning musical instrument hence had to do lot of research and experiment to buy reasonably good piano under by budget.

To start with I had short listed Yamaha only models CLP320 and CLP330. Went to shop along with my daughter to test. Liked both of them very much and he introduced me to CLP340. Decided to buy that one. Came back home to do final research and check reviews about Yamaha CLP340. Everything went positive but stumbled upon this website and forum. Made me to think about Kawai.
Went back to showroom and sat with Kawai models CN32, CN42. Loved it, simply loved it. CN42 was the winner in all respect. Did search this forum found some very good suggestions and experience about these models.Also got introduced to CN33 hurray!. Spent lot of time is reading all your suggestions finally got hooked onto CN33 and guess what order one from Thomman Cyberstore. Got delivered and assembled with the help of friend.
OH! God, believe me just loving it!, I am newbie No clue about Major, Minor but listening to my daughter playing is absolute delight! Sound is good, keyboard touch is excellent, able to connect to Mac and play few things. I have nothing but positive comments about this little DP piano. Got myself Alfred's Adult piano book and started seriously learning piano.

Enough of my rambling. I want to upload picture of my CN33 DP but not sure how to. I will learn little about it and will try and upload ASAP.

Once again thank you all very much for your help, suggestions and advice in this forum are very valuable and is much appreciated.

I will keep visiting and sharing my experience with kawai CN33 in this forum.

with Best Regards
Sanjeev Hiremath

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/15/10 12:01 PM

Welcome to the forums Sanjeev.

Also glad we were all able to help you choose the Kawai CN33, and you and your daughter like it so much. It is an excellent DP in its class. I look forward to seeing a photo sometime, as I'm sure the rest of us do.
Posted by: dewster

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/15/10 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: hiremathsc
I want to upload picture of my CN33 DP but not sure how to. I will learn little about it and will try and upload ASAP.

Use this link to upload your picture(s):

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/fileuploader2.html

You'll get an email for each one with a link to it, which you can paste into your post here.
Posted by: Amajor

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/15/10 09:20 PM

James, I knew nothing about headphones before but I read online that Sennheisers would be a good choice. Many people seemed to be happy even with the basic HD201 model so I ordered those (just under $20 from Amazon). Luckily it was a good choice not only for the wallet but for the ears too.

It might be that I'll upgrade the headphones at some point but at least now I'm quite satisfied.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/16/10 06:49 AM

Hello Sanjeev, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new piano.

Thank you for sharing your experiences of searching for a new DP too. I shall look forwarding to seeing a photo of the CN33 in your home shortly. wink

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: hiremathsc

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/16/10 07:12 AM

Hi All,
Below are the pictures of my sweet kawai CN33.

Special thanks to people who is maintaining this forum and to members "kawai James" "spanishbuddha", "bluebilly" for there valuable suggestions, advices and guidance in deciding to buy this DP.

Regards
Sanjeev Hiremath

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/16/10 07:16 AM

Great pics Sanjeev - lovely depth of field on the second to last shot too. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/16/10 02:55 PM

Wow great photo's Sanjeev. James should hire you too, along with Mawima, for the Kawai brochures. smile
Posted by: cunparis

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/23/10 11:32 AM

I just found this thread and I'm happy to see some CN-33 owners. I'm debating between the Yamaha CLP-340 & the CN-33. I played both for an hour in the store, switching back and forth many times. Here's what I noticed:

The kawai's action seemed better to me. More resistance going down and the keys don't thump up so hard. on the yamaha they snap up so fast it bounces up & down. i thought the yamaha was very "thumpy". I'm a beginner on piano but I've been playing a real upright for 6 months now so I'm not used to DP keys.

Now I had two issues, and this may just be me.

First - I found it difficult to play middle volume. I could play soft or loud but it was hard to get in between while playing. Several times I'd hit a note too hard and it'd be too loud. Perhaps this is adjustable? The salesman didn't know anything about it really. I heard someone saying it has a touch. I think I should read the owner's manual and go back there. On the yamaha I didn't notice this issue. Maybe I just need to get used to the CN-33?

Second - CN-33 sounded more like a real piano to me but the attack seemed pretty hard & aggressive. Not sure how else to describe it. Can this be adjusted too? I tried some of the other variations of the piano but didn't have time to continue investigating this. The demo sounds beautiful. I wonder if it was recorded on the CN-33 or if it's a MIDI from another instrument they play?

These are the only two "issues" I had (and didn't notice on the Yamaha). Otherwise I prefer the CN-33.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/23/10 05:35 PM

See the other thread where there are some replies.
Posted by: YukiPianist

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 12:28 PM

Hi all, and sorry for my bad english blush (i'm french). I would like buy this DP but I want it in the same color of hiremathsc (the photos are in the quote). Is it in "Premium Rosewood"? So is it the "Kawai CN33 R"? Please help me !

Thanks smile

Originally Posted By: hiremathsc
Hi All,
Below are the pictures of my sweet kawai CN33.

Special thanks to people who is maintaining this forum and to members "kawai James" "spanishbuddha", "bluebilly" for there valuable suggestions, advices and guidance in deciding to buy this DP.

Regards
Sanjeev Hiremath

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: YukiPianist
Hi all, and sorry for my bad english blush (i'm french). I would like buy this DP but I want it in the same color of hiremathsc (the photos are in the quote). Is it in "Premium Rosewood"? So is it the "Kawai CN33 R"? Please help me !

Thanks smile

That looks like the Rosewood finish AFAICT from the photo. The finish is often designated on an order number by a suffix to the model, such as CN33 R for Rosewood, or M for Mahogonay or SB for Satin Black,

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 03:19 PM

Yes but is because in the picture :
http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_cn_33_r_set.htm

it's more light brown than rosewood.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 03:35 PM

Yes but is because in the picture :
http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_cn_33_r_set.htm

it's more light brown than rosewood.

I think that's more like dark brown smile But the lightish tinge I suspect is the lighting.

Maybe a phone call to Thomann?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 03:54 PM

Yes, but in France it is 10:00 PM, so customer service is closed...

But, I seen your photos, spanisbuddha, and I want the Kawai CN33 in the same color that you. What model have you got?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 04:13 PM

I'm debating between black & rosewood. It looks like people in this thread chose rosewood. Any reason you all didn't like black?

I've seen the black in the store and it looks a little "dull". So I'm leaning towards rosewood. I saw both and the rosewood looked a bit nicer IMHO. More like wood while the black looked like plastic.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 04:19 PM

Yes I have rosewood.

I considered either the black or the rosewood. The black looked, ahem, cheaper than the rosewood, and I was advised by my interior designer wink that rosewood would fit better in our living room.
Posted by: jhaible

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 04:22 PM

My white (!) CN-33 has been delivered today, by Musik Klier in Nuernberg.

It did *not* get lost in the snow, although we had heaps of snow like never before in the night, and we were all struggling to free our cars from under the snow in the morning!

JH.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 04:33 PM

Thanks to you spanishbuddha, I've buy the Kawai CN33 now. laugh

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jhaible

Thanks for sharing. Looks quite distinctive, and suits the lighter colours of your room.

I see you have a mat/rug under it. Is that to protect the wood or influence the tone?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 05:49 PM

Congrats YukiPianist. I hope you enjoy it.

Have you played it in a store? Just curious about the reasons for your (excellent) choice.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 06:01 PM

Thanks for sharing. Looks quite distinctive, and suits the lighter colours of your room.

I see you have a mat/rug under it. Is that to protect the wood or influence the tone?

It's to move it around without damaging anything, until it has its final place.

JH.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/10/10 06:06 PM

jhaible, congratulations on receiving your white CN33, and thank you for posting the nice photograph. wink

I hope your new piano brings you many years of enjoyment.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/11/10 06:57 AM

Congrats YukiPianist. I hope you enjoy it.

Have you played it in a store? Just curious about the reasons for your (excellent) choice.

Yes, I've played it in a French store, I think it's a very good DP, and I've been seduced by the "Ivory Touch with escapement"! Thank you again for your help smile

I will publish photos of the piano when it will delivered to home laugh

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/11/10 02:29 PM

I like the white one too. I don't think yamaha has many white ones so that makes the kawai white ones more unique. My wife said it looked "elton johnish" and advises the rosewood.
Posted by: jupiterin

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/18/10 04:47 AM

Hello,
I'm coming on a forum for the first time of my life, and it's quite difficult because I don't know how to proceed, and I also have some difficulties with english language ! But, anyway, I'm too motivated to turn back now. Learning to play the piano is my childhood's dream, and I'm about of realize it ! I'd need help to choose between CN-33, CN-42 and CA-18, witch are the most I can afford. I've been prospecting for one month now in many music shops, and on the web too, till I've found this forum...Would you please give me some hints.
Thank you in advance.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/18/10 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: jupiterin

Hello,
I'm coming on a forum for the first time of my life, and it's quite difficult because I don't know how to proceed, and I also have some difficulties with english language ! But, anyway, I'm too motivated to turn back now. Learning to play the piano is my childhood's dream, and I'm about of realize it ! I'd need help to choose between CN-33, CN-42 and CA-18, witch are the most I can afford. I've been prospecting for one month now in many music shops, and on the web too, till I've found this forum...Would you please give me some hints.
Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum juperterin. I take it you are a complete newcomer to piano playing? First of all you have made the right decision to do some research before making any decisions, I wish I'd have done that before I first started. All the digital pianos you have listed above are more than adequate for you to start with, I have the CN-33 and haven't found any digital piano in that price range which betters it. I guess the next steps are, decide which kind of music you want to play, decide whether you are going to teach yourself, select a piano teaching method or, better still, engage a piano teacher, either way ....good luck.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/18/10 06:48 AM

Hello,
Thank you in advance.

Any of these models are suitable for a (serious) beginner.

There's a short discussion around the CN42 and CN23 (or CN33) here and the CA18 or CN42 here

Like bluebilly I have a CN33 and think that it's probably the best in its class and price.

You should get the best keyboard action first and then piano sound(s)that you can afford if you're learning piano, but look to other features and functions if you want to explore further. You can always add or improve the piano sound by hooking up the DP to a PC as long as it has a midi or usb to host port.

This thread is full of CN33 enthusiasts of course so lots of info here. Any questions about the CN33? Do visit a store though and check these models out for yourself, and some other brands.
Posted by: egallego

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/18/10 12:27 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by the CN33, so if you can't afford an upper model, CN33 would be my choice.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/18/10 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: egallego
I was pleasantly surprised by the CN33, so if you can't afford an upper model, CN33 would be my choice.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Rhodes sound.
Epiano 1, switch Velocity to "Light 2", and switch off the chorus, and it's quite good for a home piano.

JH.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/19/10 03:43 AM

First I would like to thank everybody for having answered so quickly ! Actually, I'm living in a very small village in the "french Alpes", then I unfortunately can't try the touch and sound of these pianos ! All stores that I've contacted by phone in many big cities don't have Kawaï models, except sometimes CA-63(witch is too expensive for me). YAMAHA,ROLAND and KORG is all we can find here ! Sellers all say that people have lots of difficulties to resell a Kawaï DP on the french market. But when I saw Kawaï DP on Thomann web site, I fell in love with their look, and all I can read here are very good arguments.
I'm decided to learn to play the piano with a teacher(I've already find one to start on january !), and I would like to play classic and even "pop" or actual music pieces. I'm waiting for a great touch, and a nice full sound.
Thank you in advance for your good hints.
regards,
Jupiterin

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/19/10 05:17 AM

I've forgotten to say that I would be disappointed if it would sound too métallic !!!

kind regards,
Jupiterin

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/19/10 04:40 PM

First I would like to thank everybody for having answered so quickly ! Actually, I'm living in a very small village in the "french Alpes", then I unfortunately can't try the touch and sound of these pianos ! All stores that I've contacted by phone in many big cities don't have Kawaï models, except sometimes CA-63(witch is too expensive for me).

The CA-63 has keys that are, in my opinion, very similar to the CN-33. So if you can find a dealer that has both the CA-63 and any Yamaha CLP, I would recommend making the trip to try them out. I was quite surprised by how much I preferred the CN-33 over the Yamaha. But I imagine others prefer the Yamaha. To be honest I'd be happy with either one (was considering the CLP-340 which is 1700 euros at that districiz store I forget the name), so you can't go wrong but you might as well get the one you like best.

I ordered mine and hope to have it this week but with the snow & christmas I'm not sure.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/19/10 04:45 PM

I've forgotten to say that I would be disappointed if it would sound too métallic !!!

kind regards,
Jupiterin

You probably need to play/listen for yourself as many demo's on the web don't really give a good representation. There are 8 acoustic piano sounds in the CN33 including two quite mellow ones (non-metallic) and a couple of quite metallic ones. You can either stick to the mellow ones if you like them or overlay (mix) two different piano sounds to get one you like.

I normally also don't like the metallic ones, but sometimes they are just right for the music you're playing.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/20/10 01:32 AM

kind regards,
Jupiterin

You probably need to play/listen for yourself as many demo's on the web don't really give a good representation. There are 8 acoustic piano sounds in the CN33 including two quite mellow ones (non-metallic) and a couple of quite metallic ones. You can either stick to the mellow ones if you like them or overlay (mix) two different piano sounds to get one you like.

I normally also don't like the metallic ones, but sometimes they are just right for the music you're playing.

Even though the first variation of piano 1 is whatI liked best in the shop (on the CN33, that is), and the standard setting for touch sensitivity seems just right for that, I find myself playing the 3rd variation of piano 1 most of the time, which is much "darker" in tone. And I compensate for that with a slightly lighter touch sensitivity (light 1). This seems the pervect setting for playing chords and singing along. It's very mellow and unobtrusive - more Bechstein than Steinway, so to say.

JH.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/20/10 03:06 AM

So I made up my mind, and I'm gonna order a CN-33 ! Yeah !
Regarding to all of your advices, I've no more doubt.
I still have to choose a color...white or cherry, others furnitures of my drawing-room,are rather pale too. But it's not such important...

Very glad of having come on a forum for the first time ! And what a forum !
Thank you to Jhaible, Spanishbuddha, Cunparis, Egallego, and Bluebilly.
I'd wish had some advices of "Kjames", but he was probably occupied.
Have a nice day, mine will surely be fine !!!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/20/10 03:22 AM

jupiterin,

I'm still here, but just trying to adopt a slightly less 'active' role in the forum following recent events.

I hope the CN33 brings you many years of musical enjoyment!

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/20/10 05:55 AM

jupiterin,

I'm still here, but just trying to adopt a slightly less 'active' role in the forum following recent events.

You are a great asset to this forum. I am not sure if it were you or someone else who recommended Kawai (in my thread) as I had never considered them, but I'm grateful to whoever it was. I really value your inputs. Sometimes manufacturers can be overly present in forums but I don't think that's the case with you at all. I hope you'll continue participating & thanks for everything you've contributed already.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/20/10 10:44 AM

Sorry, but I'm new here and don't know what you mean...
I just wanted to have some hints about CA-18, CN-42 and CN-33 to compare them each others.
I had the feeling that you could help me.
Perhap's it's not too late...
cordially

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/20/10 05:57 PM

jupiterin, the other PianoWorld forum members did an excellent job of comparing the other models you were considering. As such, there wasn't a great deal left for me to add. wink

There are of course advantages and disadvantages for opting for the CA18 (or newer CA13) or CN42, however for your intended purposes I believe the CN33 is an excellent choice, and one that I'm confident you will be very pleased with.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/21/10 01:00 AM

Thank you very much for having taken a little time to answer to me.
This forum brought me a lot,

Have a nice day everybody !

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/21/10 06:52 PM

Hi All! My Kawai CN 33 R has been delivered to home! I'll take photos tomorrow smile Thanks you specially to spanishbuddha for his help !

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/22/10 03:32 PM

Congrats YukiPianist. Nice Xmas present too. Photo's would be great, and let us know what you think about different settings eventually.
Posted by: hannibal2

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/23/10 05:49 AM

Please post some pictures of your fresh CN33s!

Altough I ended up with another brand lately I'm still in love with the CN33 for a reason I can't really explain not even for myself smile Great instrument, no doubt!

Pictures pls smile

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/28/10 02:40 PM

I got my CN-33, it came the day before christmas. The delivery guy had to wheel it down the street (on the palette) because our street had too much snow. It was very nice of him to deliver it in such conditions!

Unfortunately our hot water heater went out the next day, it's in our bedroom close to the piano so our room is a mess but I'll post pictures soon when I get everything finished.

so far I love the CN-33 and I'm very happy with my choice.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/28/10 06:44 PM

cunparis, great to hear that you were able to enjoy your new piano for Christmas.

It's a shame about the hot water heater though...no showers for a few days!

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/01/11 03:15 PM

Happy New Year to all CN33'ers!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/01/11 05:04 PM

Happy New Year to all CN33'ers!

Right, Happy New Year to all CN33 lovers and also to all the others! smile
Posted by: stuartc

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/10/11 05:18 AM

Hi All,

New member here...thanks to the great info on this forum I took a trip to Rose Morris in London to check out a Kawai CN33 (alongside Roland and Yamaha)and went ahead and ordered last week - in Rosewood. Delivery should be this week - can't wait!

Got a good deal from Rose Morris and highly recommend them.

Restarting piano after 17 year break (35 now) and can't wait to get stuck in.

Stuart C

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/10/11 06:25 AM

Congrats Stuart!

Good on you for supporting a local business too - Rose Morris is a great store...just noticed that they're paying the extra 2.5% VAT until the end of the month.

Anyway, best of luck getting back into piano.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: puff

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/10/11 05:08 PM

They can well afford the 2.5% with the prices they advertise.They are sitting on a bit of prime real estate and probably get more footfall than anyother London store. Hardly a 'local' store or maybe if you live/work in Wesminster!

Well done Stuart for beating them down.That keybed is a treat to play on.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/10/11 05:18 PM

Yay, another CN33 player. Prediction - satisfied user. Congratulations.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/11/11 03:54 PM

I've had my CN-33 for a couple of months now, and I'm still in love with it, I haven't regretted buying it for one moment, something I can't always say about other stuff I've bought.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/22/11 09:01 AM

Hey CN-33 owners I noticed something weird last night. The top notes have a sustain on them even without the sustain pedal. As I go down there is a G that has the sustain and then F# down do not. I kept hitting the note G and it sustained and the ones below do not. Over and over. Has anyone noticed this? It's the 2nd G from the top.

I'm going to upgrade the firmware to see if that fixes it but thought I'd ask here first since I haven't heard anyone talking about this. I hope it's not defective.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/22/11 09:40 AM

Treble break?

(the point on an acoustic piano after which where there are no dampers)

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: MacMacMac

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/22/11 09:52 AM

I don't think that's a defect. It's there by design.

Acoustic pianos have no dampers on the high octave or two. Those notes are relatively weak and have little sustain, so there's no need for dampers.

Digital pianos deliberately emulate that.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/22/11 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
I don't think that's a defect. It's there by design.

Acoustic pianos have no dampers on the high octave or two. Those notes are relatively weak and have little sustain, so there's no need for dampers.

Digital pianos deliberately emulate that.

I'm really impressed that digital pianos mimic this behavior. I played with all the instruments and it's only the piano sounds that have it. Now I know why. I never use these keys so I never noticed it before or on a real piano. I'll check it out on a real piano though.

Thanks for the quick response.

Another thing, just in case anyone searches for it.. I tried updating the firmware with my old usb key and I got "noF". I couldn't figure out what it was so I tried a new key and it worked perfectly. So if anyone ever has this problem try a new usb drive. The "noF" doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. It wouldn't let me load a MIDI from USB either. It's an old USB drive maybe 8 years old so no big deal.

I'm still loving my CN-33 and I play it daily. I used to prefer an old out of tune acoustic piano at the grandparents but now that I'm used to the CN-33 I prefer the CN-33 and I shiver at some of the out of tune notes on the acoustic.
Posted by: hpeterh

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/22/11 12:01 PM

Possibly the format of the stick is not recognized. Reformat it, preferrably using the piano and possibly it works...

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/22/11 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: hpeterh
Possibly the format of the stick is not recognized. Reformat it, preferrably using the piano and possibly it works...

I reformatted it FAT32 on my windows computer. The digital piano won't accept it at all. Can't even format it.

I checked out the acoustic I've been playing and it does the same thing (the damper thing) and even has it to the D below the G on my CN-33. I'm surprised I never noticed it before but I never use those keys.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/22/11 05:50 PM

cunparis, you may be interested in this article:

http://art-facts.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-many-dampers-does-piano-have.html

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/23/11 01:37 AM

Thanks James, that was interesting and in the comments several found that page after discovering this on their digital pianos, like me. It's really interesting to learn how pianos work, that got me googling and next thing I know an hour has gone by and I'm a bit smarter. wink
Posted by: salzdt

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/31/11 08:06 AM

Hi,
I just purchased a CN 33 Rosewood. I was looking for a digital to practice any hour of the day or night. I'm fortunate in that I have an acoustic,but would like to get more pracitce in and not destrube the house. I spent three hours in the store on Saturday, it was a Kawai sales event. I went back and forth between the 23 and 33. There is a subtle difference that you may be more sensitive to if you play an acoustic piano. The Kawai representative was very hepful in explaining the difference. Although, I did not need many of the added features, the action made the difference. The store along with Kawai will be haaving demonstrations on how to use the many voices and layering. Thank you James for all your help. My CN33 will be delivered on Friday. thumb
Dot

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/31/11 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: salzdt
Hi,
I just purchased a CN 33 Rosewood. I was looking for a digital to practice any hour of the day or night. I'm fortunate in that I have an acoustic,but would like to get more pracitce in and not destrube the house. I spent three hours in the store on Saturday, it was a Kawai sales event. I went back and forth between the 23 and 33. There is a subtle difference that you may be more sensitive to if you play an acoustic piano. The Kawai representative was very hepful in explaining the difference. Although, I did not need many of the added features, the action made the difference. The store along with Kawai will be haaving demonstrations on how to use the many voices and layering. Thank you James for all your help. My CN33 will be delivered on Friday. thumb
Dot

Congratulations Dot. You will find it quite simple to operate many of the other features if you need them.

We look forward to a photo once it's delivered, after you can tear yourself away from playing it of course.
Posted by: DannyTes

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/02/11 03:28 PM

Hi for everyone :),

Another new member and I like to start by thanking everyone. These forums help me out on selecting CN-33. Order one from Thomann.

Although I am very happy with the piano, I have one problem.
When I was assembling the piano following the user manual,
the protective film that supposed to cover the display is not there.
The display showed signs of being used before (does not look new).
It has some cosmetic scuffs and one small scratch can be seen easily by the naked eye.
I called Thomann, at first they try to offer me €15 back but I refused.
They also offer to exchange it but I have to pay the shipping to Ireland and I refused.
Finally they offer to arrange for a courier to pick it up and they will replace it after examining it.

The question I have for CN-33 owners confused,

How is the display on your piano, does it looks nice, clean and smooth?
Should I just keep the piano or exchange it?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/02/11 04:09 PM

From that photo it looks as if the protective film is there and the damage is to the film!?

If you read back through this thread, one user also thought his CN33 did not come with a protective display film, but on really close inspection he removed it.

Try lifting at the edge gently with a fingernail.

If in fact there is no film, then yes the surface of the display should be clean and smooth.
Posted by: DannyTes

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/02/11 05:02 PM

Spanishbuddha, thank you very much for your quick respond. You are right, there is a protective film. I will be calling Thomann ASAP to apologize.
For anyone who is looking for Digital Piano at around €1200-1300, it does not get better than CN-33. At €1500 go for CN-63 with even bigger speakers and more functions. The feel is just right. I connected the piano to one of those Yamaha sound bars, the sound is amazing. All I need now is a good set of headphones.
Once more thank you everyone.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/02/11 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: DannyTes
Spanishbuddha, thank you very much for your quick respond. You are right, there is a protective film. I will be calling Thomann ASAP to apologize.
For anyone who is looking for Digital Piano at around €1200-1300, it does not get better than CN-33. At €1500 go for CN-63 with even bigger speakers and more functions. The feel is just right. I connected the piano to one of those Yamaha sound bars, the sound is amazing. All I need now is a good set of headphones.

Good result. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your CN33. Thanks for the photo's. Now to enjoy playing it, what is your skill level and what do you play?

Pity about the keyboard put aside (to the left in the photo) what is/was it?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/02/11 06:05 PM

Good result!

James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/15/11 08:43 AM

DannyTes & salzdt: Congrats on your new CN-33 pianos. I have been playing mine every day, progressing through Alfred's level 1 and now into level 2. I had an arranger keyboard for over a year and barely played it but the CN-33 gets played every day. I simply love it.

Good to hear others are enjoying theirs too. Funny story about the sticker. I never took mine off. My pedals still have the plastic but I'm going to take it off cause it looks a bit tacky. wink
Posted by: SWISSHAT

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/01/11 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: DannyTes

Hi I would like to ask your experience with Thomann.de.
Where do you live and how long did it take from order to delivery?
I called them and they sounded nice and professional.
I live in Switzerland.

I am considering the CN43 with the set bench and headphones from Thomann.

And one more thing: does the sound (piano) from CN33 identical to the CN43?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/01/11 02:19 PM

Hi Swisshat, I bought my CN33 from Thomann and I live in England the delivery didn't take long and I was informed by text as to the progress of the delivery. However, one small hic-cup when the courier routing person left a message on my mobile phone (cell phone?) voicemail informing me of the delivery date and time, I never got the voicemail message so the courier turned up at my home while I was out, but I got a telephone call and the courier came back the next day. I've never played the CN43, is this a new model, but I'm more than pleased with my CN33......recommended. Just one thing, if your outside the Euro zone (€) you'll get foreign transaction fees when you pay with your card, around 3%.
Posted by: theJourney

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/01/11 04:12 PM

I also have had good experience ordering with thomann.de, already at least six times. Be aware that they are growing and don't always have their act together. Take the time to call and meet your country representative before placing your order to ensure that they will look out for your order and that their many promises are actually met and that you receive your piano when you expect to receive it.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/04/11 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: theJourney
I also have had good experience ordering with thomann.de, already at least six times. Be aware that they are growing and don't always have their act together. Take the time to call and meet your country representative before placing your order to ensure that they will look out for your order and that their many promises are actually met and that you receive your piano when you expect to receive it.

Huh?
Good experience? Or beware?
Now YOU are confusing me.
But nevertheless, thanks for your effort in typing messages here.
Posted by: theJourney

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/04/11 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: SWISSHAT

Huh?
Good experience? Or beware?
Now YOU are confusing me.
But nevertheless, thanks for your effort in typing messages here.

Both.
With the years of maturity you learn that very few things in life are simplistically either binary black or white and good or evil.

Getting yourself informed of facts, checking facts and using your head to think can save you lots of problems.

If you dig a little you will see that I am a big fan of thomann and of Kawai -- but not necessarily of buying a Kawai from thomann from a foreign country. To understand that without being willing to take me at my word you will need to do some work yourself and analyze facts that are shared freely on this forum.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each of the brands discussed here and to each of the retail channels.

For most of the mature and constructive posters here, it is not about some Football Fan style contest to cheer one's own personal brand or to misuse the board to sell, but it is about sharing information objectively -- especially information that the manufacturers and retailers don't do a great job of sharing.

As far as being confused, I am afraid I cannot help you with your English comprehension.

For a start, you could actually take a polite and respectful approach, read and think about what people have written -- not what you imagine they have written -- not read your own biases into things and not let yourself get confused by all the nasty shouting on the forum and whispering in personal messages in German from certain biased trouble makers on this board.

After you receive your digital piano and start to learn a little about playing and perhaps get your kid excited, perhaps you might decide to stick around here and instead of just taking also give back.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/04/11 11:26 AM

Sounds like a copious and polite insult to me, from a know-it-all...

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/08/11 08:25 AM

Both.
With the years of maturity you learn that very few things in life are simplistically either binary black or white and good or evil.

Getting yourself informed of facts, checking facts and using your head to think can save you lots of problems.

If you dig a little you will see that I am a big fan of thomann and of Kawai -- but not necessarily of buying a Kawai from thomann from a foreign country. To understand that without being willing to take me at my word you will need to do some work yourself and analyze facts that are shared freely on this forum.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each of the brands discussed here and to each of the retail channels.

For most of the mature and constructive posters here, it is not about some Football Fan style contest to cheer one's own personal brand or to misuse the board to sell, but it is about sharing information objectively -- especially information that the manufacturers and retailers don't do a great job of sharing.

As far as being confused, I am afraid I cannot help you with your English comprehension.

For a start, you could actually take a polite and respectful approach, read and think about what people have written -- not what you imagine they have written -- not read your own biases into things and not let yourself get confused by all the nasty shouting on the forum and whispering in personal messages in German from certain biased trouble makers on this board.

After you receive your digital piano and start to learn a little about playing and perhaps get your kid excited, perhaps you might decide to stick around here and instead of just taking also give back.

You do not come across as the type of poster you advise me to be.
Anyway, THANK YOU, for even having an interest in my question.
I am a newbie to Kawai and DP's.
I am an OLD BIRD to internet forums, since 20 years.

Therefore there is no mistaking your tone.

BTW, some of us do not have all the time in the world, to troll through all the threads.
We sent a quick question, even a FAQ, and hope some kind soul will post back a quick answer.
To advise a new guy to "search" and read through 198Gb of posts...is just so clever.

stick around here and instead of just taking also give back.

With such polite people like you, people like me will be SO HAPPY to stick around. In case you don't get it, YOU and YOUR posts are pushing me away from this "initially friendly" forum.
NO offense to the others who send me their straight talk, non condescending comments.
Posted by: amigaoneit

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/13/11 06:03 PM

hello, apparently this became the official cn33 thread wink

in this thread i introduce myself and my needs.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1658802

i must confess that i really would like the Roland Hpi-7f which sports the latest roland technology together with the i-guess-is-fun-maybe-is-also-useful-and-i-really-want-it digiscore or an hp307, but going through this thread i am more and more convinced to get the cn33

i hope is the right choice (my wallet is definetly sure though)

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/14/11 03:47 AM

My opinion is that the CN33 is better value than the HP307 and also maybe as good. Why don't you try them both out for yourself and see. The 7F is also nice, and a stage piano whereas the CN33 is a console home style piano. They have been reviewed on here and compared and it's close, but also subjective, and it depends on what your needs are.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/14/11 08:05 AM

thanks buddha, are comments/opinions like yours that i'm in search for.

i have been spending the last two weeks going through the forum in search of reviews and opinions and that's why i also came to the conclusion that the cn33 may be a better choice budget/performance wise.

unfortunatly i don't think to have the skills to tell the difference between the various DPs sound or touch performance, that's why i'm mostly relying on cold specs and opinions of expert people.

i did my homework though and i've been lucky enough to have some people playing the pianos for me, but unfortunatly not in the same shops so i can't say it was a direct comparison. as for now i've "reviewed" roland's hp/hpi line and a casio px830.

i was able to appreciate the difference in the decay of a note, but probably because (after all this time spent on the forum) i was looking for it, but i can't really tell if i would notice it without knowing it. the same goes for sound: i had talented people (normal customers of the shop not a vendor)playing for me and i probably prefer the rolands over the casio, but again i can't tell if it was because of what i was expecting, and i'm still not sure which roland i do prefer. even worse for touch and action: i've tickled the keyboards and to my memory they all are better than the acoustics i used to play (but that was 25 years ago and my memory could be really wrong !!!).

so my (i dare to say obvious) conclusion is if i'm not able to tell the difference (or at least not so disctintly) why invest all that money on it? (the geek part of me is still watering over the hpi-7f though) and the cn33 at 1.250 euros (roughly 1.800 usd) it seems to be the wisest choice.

but, suddenly, i came across the DPBSD and the comments over the cn33 don't seem to be all that positive. so i'm starting to wonder if i will regret it when and IF my skills will grow.

PS i don't wan't a stage piano (better, my wife imposed me that it has to be aesthetically pleasing) and i'm going to test (with the above mentioned self limitations) the cn33 as soon as the shop receives it.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/14/11 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: amigaoneit

but, suddenly, i came across the DPBSD and the comments over the cn33 don't seem to be all that positive. so i'm starting to wonder if i will regret it when and IF my skills will grow.

I had the same problem just before purchasing the CN33 and my anguish was reflected in my comments on the DPBSD thread about the CN33.

IMHO the DPBSD provides valuable and useful information about the technical implementation of a DP. However none of them are perfect. Some are just better or worse than others of course.

Then there's price, not reflected in the DPBSD.

Then there's 'musicality' and responsiveness of the keyboard touch, also not reflected in the DPBSD.

Then, just to be clear (since it comes across the other way I think) that although the Roland SN sound may be the best non-sampled implementation around, not everyone likes it.

Also read the comments on the CN33 thread on the satisfied users. There's a couple of FP7F threads too with equally satisfied users.

Then decide on either the CN33 or Roland FP7F for yourself, but only after trying them.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/20/11 06:40 AM

little update: the cn33 is on is way home smile

it finally arrived at the shop and i've played a little with it.

compared to roland's SN line (i don't know why but i never considered yamahas (probably for what they've done to valentino rossi or simply because i feel them to be overpriced)) there are pros and cons (i was also interested on a casio AP620, roughly the same price of the cn33 (online though) but the shop had a privia px830 which the cn33 outpaced on every respect so i gave up the idea of the 620).

let start with the cons: sound - whilst playing simple tunes i could'nt tell a significant difference between the kawai and one from roland's SN line, but playing single notes the difference was (to me) substantial; note decay, especially on lower notes, is richer, smoother and, also playing lower notes, i could phisically feel some vibrations under my finger; a sensation that i like, but i couldn't feel/haven't noticed on the cn33 (probably because of the speakers position?). that's a pity beacuse i could also feel it on the casio and is a feature that i'll miss.

and now the pros - action and touch: is not probably night and day but i do prefer kawai's touch and action. to my memory is far better even than the acoustic uprights i used to play (they were pretty basics pianos though). i felt roland's action lighter whilst kawai's seems (to me) far better weighted and balanced, almost like the "real thing".

At the end i chose the kawai. either of the pianos would have been a compromise: the kawai for sound and roland for action and touch. here is where price comes into play: roland's hp305 (the HP302 is not directly comparable, specs wise, to the CN33 and still is more expensive of about 350 USD) costs over 1000 USD more and the HP307 is another 1000 USD over the 305.

Probably a good player could benefit (if he liked the action) of roland's better (for me) sound engine: i guess it can provide highly expressive nuances, but unfortunatly is not my case: it will be a long time before i can reach that level of expressiveness. and again a good player would probably get the real thing anyway.

In the end i'm very happy: i didn't spend a fortune, action is great, sound is good and i can always try a software piano if in need of a better sound, but i can't get a software action wink

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/20/11 07:54 AM

amigaoneit, congrats on your new piano - I hope it brings you many years of musical enjoyment. wink

[offtopic]

Are you an AmigaOne fan?

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: jgyeuc

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/20/11 11:36 AM

I wish I had one
It looks gorgeous!!!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/20/11 02:26 PM

amigaoneit, congrats on your new piano - I hope it brings you many years of musical enjoyment. wink

[offtopic]

Are you an AmigaOne fan?

Cheers,
James
x

Tks KJames i'm sure i will enjoy it very much.

[OT mode on]
First let me say that i've been lurking the forum for a few weeks now and i came across your posts pretty often. i began to appreciate your style: unbiased (at my eyes at least), helpful and together proud and ready to stand for the company you work for. this sounds a lot japanese to me, in fact if there is something i'm a fan of is Japan and its people. just wanted you to know that i found myself relieved noting that you continued posting after 3/11.

That said if you are talking about Amiga OS yes i'm a big fan of it and i pretty much believe that i've been one of the very last to drop the os (still have an A500 converted through the dedicated external HD to an A500+ and an A1200 with a 68030 expansion card, modded to use non proprietary external HDs and Cdroms) . As for my nick name, believe it or not, i've being using it long before AmigaOne project came to life.

One last thing i'm trying sending you a PM (may I?) but it looks like your inbox is full?

[/OT mode off]

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/20/11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: amigaoneit
little update: the cn33 is on is way home smile

Congrats amigaone. I think it's a good choice compared to the 7F also when comparing the price. About the sounds: you can experiment with layering two piano sounds from the two selection banks. I did this at one stage and ended up with a sound I really liked. But now I just prefer one of the standard unaltered piano sounds most of the time.

We like photo's in this thread once it's in its new home. smile

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/20/11 05:45 PM

amigaoneit, many thanks for your kind words - I greatly appreciate the positive feedback.

[offtopic]

I grew up using an A500 for several years - a truly incredible machine! I also owned an A1200, which was upgraded to a 68030, then tower-ised with a CD-Rom, and finally added a ZorroII+CV64/3D a couple of years later - again, a excellent system which was a joy to use. Alas, I sold the entire setup in the late 90s, but continued to enjoy the AmigaOS using WinUAE and a Workbench distribution I put together called 'AIAB' - great memories. wink

[/offtopic]

BTW, I cleaned-up my message inbox, so please feel free to send a PM. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/23/11 03:09 PM

Congrats amigaone. I think it's a good choice compared to the 7F also when comparing the price. About the sounds: you can experiment with layering two piano sounds from the two selection banks. I did this at one stage and ended up with a sound I really liked. But now I just prefer one of the standard unaltered piano sounds most of the time.

We like photo's in this thread once it's in its new home. smile

Thanks Spanish, i'm playing with layering, but at the moment i feel like default piano is ok.

if there is a trial i would like to try pianoteq.

as for the image there it is just unpacked (finished assembling late night)

oh i quite forgot happy Easter to everybody

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/23/11 08:15 PM

Looks terrific - congrats amigaoneit!

And happy Easter to everyone too!

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/24/11 05:00 AM

Looks terrific - congrats amigaoneit!

And happy Easter to everyone too!

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks KJames

PS you have a PM

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/25/11 02:31 PM

Nice one amigaoneit. Love the lamp too.

Just curious what touch setting do you like? I'm a 18months beginner and used to like the 1st heavy setting as I could get better p and pp. But now I'm on the default.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/27/11 02:47 PM

Nice one amigaoneit. Love the lamp too.

Just curious what touch setting do you like? I'm a 18months beginner and used to like the 1st heavy setting as I could get better p and pp. But now I'm on the default.

My wife thank's you, someone that appreciate her touch help

as for touch settings i'm still working on it. probably it's me but the black keys are perfect on default whilst the white ones are a little lighter than what i was used to (but again it's a very very long time since i touched a piano) and the next heavy up settings are too heavy? i guess i need some more time to get used to it
Posted by: FogVilleLad

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 04/27/11 04:15 PM

Just curious what touch setting do you like?
Do the Touch settings change the tone at all, or do they just make it easier to access, for example, the softer samples?
Posted by: Fran_Z

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 05/11/11 07:08 PM

I'm applying for the membership of CN33 club...

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 05/11/11 07:16 PM

Congrats!
And, extra brownie points (literally) for choosing the mahogany finish too! wink

That second shot is really rather stylish, by the way! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 05/12/11 02:41 PM

Congrats Fran_Z, nice photography too. The mahogany does look rather nice.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 05/12/11 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: FogVilleLad
Just curious what touch setting do you like?
Do the Touch settings change the tone at all, or do they just make it easier to access, for example, the softer samples?

Well both really. The principle effect is to change the level at which soft/loud is produced, but in so doing the tone (I think it's called attack) is bought on stronger/weaker/quicker/slower. At least that's my perception. This is just a side effect I would say and there's nothing built in as such to alter the tone with the touch setting.
Posted by: kmbmoll

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 02:51 AM

Hello,

pardon me for bringing in a technical "issue" to this thread, actually I wanted to upload some pics of my brand new Kawai CN-33 which arrived yesterday. I'm more than happy with the touch, sound and the overall finish of this beautiful piano, but one small detail is driving me crazy -- for which would really appreciate your opinion.

The issue is a faint static noise from the speakers. It turns on about 3-4 seconds after switching on the power, and stays on. It does not depend on the master volume level, and it disappears with the headphones. So it must be something with the amplifier setting. One can easily hear this noise by lowering one's head under the cabinet! I have a sensitive hearing, and in the night when the surrounding is quiet this is really starting to annoy me.

Do others also have this static noise from the speakers, and this is something I have to live with? I tried moving away all the other electrical appliances and AC/DC converters from near the piano, with no effect. It is futile to try to record this noise for this forum as I don't have a good microphone, but I hope you understand the issue. Please let me know if this is something that should not be there and I should contact the Kawai service people.
Posted by: NSA

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 05:16 AM

Hello kmbmoll,

Does your piano stand near a electrical device?
If yes, it may be the electro-magnetic field of the device near your piano, that cause the noise. When my old keyboard stood next to the television, I had the same noise.

Look at your user manual, the first pages what they say.

http://www.kawai.de/service/cn33_en.pdf

Have a look at page 6.

Good luck.

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 06:06 AM

Hi Nashwan,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately, nothing of that sort as I tried to make clear in my post. There was a CD player which I removed, and a lamp with AC/DC adapter which I unplugged. Nothing else in the room which has an electromagnet, yet the noise remains unchanged.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 06:18 AM

Re: Static noise from CN-33 speakers

One detail I forgot to mention: currently the piano sits in a small room, 3m x 4m max. Can this be the reason for an enhanced perception of this sound?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 06:21 AM

kmbmoll, I recommend you contact the dealer from where the instrument was purchased to explain the situation. They may decide to send a technician to investigate the problem.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 06:38 AM

All right, doing that. Thanks for your response.

One additional detail I noticed: the sound is actually different in the two speakers, with the bulk of the noise coming from the right one. That may be the indication that it is something specific to the instrument I bought.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 10:07 AM

Hello kmbmoll. I have a CN33 in a fairly small room too. If I listen closely I can hear a faint transformer hum from it above the keyboard. It is diminished almost totally by closing the keyboard cover and a bit covering the instrument panel (which is how I normally play to avoid visual cues). It is hardly perceptible below the keyboard and NOT coming from the speakers. I cannot hear it sitting 2 meters way or so, but my ears are over 50 years old!

Edit to ask do you have anything else plugged in to the line in or midi? I got a dreadful ground loop buzz through the speakers when I connected a PC out to line in.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 11:18 AM

Spanishbuddha,

Is this with all the Kawai's CN-33 so?

Regards,

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: NSA
Spanishbuddha,

Is this with all the Kawai's CN-33 so?

Regards,

Nashwan

Nashwan the difficulty of a buzz introduced by a ground loop when plugging in a PC audio out has been mentioned before by others. It is easily solved using a hum destroyer from Behringer for example.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 03:28 PM

Thanks for the reply spanishbuddha,

The only thing is: I'm new in this forum and don't know anything about a hum destroyer, Behringer or ground loop. :P

Is it very important to know?

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply spanishbuddha,

The only thing is: I'm new in this forum and don't know anything about a hum destroyer, Behringer or ground loop. :P

Is it very important to know?

Nashwan

You can get ground loops, and then audio hum, or video interference when connecting different audio and video items together since usually they have separate power supplies and sources. Just look up ground loop on Wikipedia.

The potential of this being a problem is not unique to the CN33, and also not everyone will experience a problem. It all depends on your set up, electric supply and type so on. The Behringer hum destroyer is one example of a solution, some may say a kludge, but it has worked for a couple of CN33 users. It's available from Amazon, but there are other products that do the same thing. You would only need it if you connect audio out from a PC or some other device to the line in of the CN33 in order to use the CN33 speakers from that other device.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 05:31 PM

Hello spanishbuddha, thanks for your reply. Now that you mention it, I DO distinguish two different sources of noise: one is a faint hum above the keyboard, and the other is a more cracking sort of faint noise from the speakers under. I cannot understand what on earth may cause a hum just under the keys, but it does change slightly with moving the lid. However, this becomes less severe while sitting upright away from the keyboard, just as you mentioned, and I can live with it.

The other noise mostly from the right speaker underneath has got to be an issue with my piano itself, and I am waiting for a visit by the Kawai service people. I actually discovered that a bookshelf wall right next to the piano was amplifying the noise and bringing it upwards (a cramped study is no place for this grand instrument!), so after moving that shelf the upper area has now become quieter. I have nothing plugged in for the line in or midi or such.
Posted by: pv88

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 05:41 PM

Hi amigaoneit,

I see that there is no bench, or, chair, in front of your piano, in the picture.

Did you get one with the piano, or, are you going to use something else?

pv88

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 05:54 PM

Hello guys,

Is it true that the CN-33 has a usb-port. So can you record music on the piano and transfer it to your computer by usb?

Cheers,

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/17/11 07:08 PM

Nashwan, yes the CN33 allows MIDI files to be loaded and saved from/to USB devices. The higher specification CN43, CA93/CA63, and MP6/MP10 also allow songs to be recorded as MP3 or WAV files.

For more information, please refer to the brochures on this page.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/21/11 05:22 PM

What is the recommended method of cleaning the surface of the keys?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/21/11 05:30 PM

kmbmoll, a damp cloth should be sufficient.

James
x
Posted by: Simma

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/21/11 09:19 PM

A quick first post to say that after lurking for a while reading this forum and playing as many pianos I could get my fingers on over the past month or two my new Kawai CN-43 has been ordered and will arrive on my 30th birthday next month as a present from friends and family.

4 long weeks to wait...
Posted by: Paolo70

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 06/22/11 02:41 AM

Hi,

I found out by chance that baby tissues (the ones you use to clean their bottom) can be very good for cleaning my piano keys.

They come already damp from the packet, and I guess they are made of some kind of microfiber.

Ciao,
Paolo

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/01/11 03:19 PM

Just ordered the CN-33!
Can't wait!!!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/01/11 04:13 PM

Congrats. It's a good DP and you'll enjoy it. Please share some pics.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/01/11 06:00 PM

I certainly will smile
Posted by: Pierre P.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/09/11 03:13 PM

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is the CN33 always sold with a bench ? I just bought this model (the one shown in store) in Austria, and it doesn't come with a bench.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/09/11 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Pierre P.
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is the CN33 always sold with a bench ? I just bought this model (the one shown in store) in Austria, and it doesn't come with a bench.

Only if the store includes it as part of the deal.

Congrats on your purchase. Any chance of pics?
Posted by: Pierre P.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/09/11 04:45 PM

spannishbuddha : Thanks for the answer. I had a doubt because in the french and english user manual, in the "safety instructions" chapter, there is a mention of a bench ("the chair must be used properly, do not play with it or stand on it", etc.), but not in the german user manual, so I thought maybe the piano is delivered by Kawai with a bench only in some countries.
I'll definately upload some pictures when I can (I'm on vacation on a very slow connection).
Posted by: MacMacMac

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/09/11 05:25 PM

Posted by: Recaredo

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/09/11 06:13 PM

Kawai Cn-33 is a fantastic instrument. Congrats to all owners.

Some day I'll get one. But I prefer the compact size of CN-23. I'm not sure.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 03:18 AM

-
As we are all Kawai owners, lovers, fanatics, or, "want to be" owners, lovers, fanatics, on this thread I thought some UK residents may be interested in getting one of these T SHIRTS.
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 03:38 AM

Gosh, that is bloody horrible!
Who on earth is making these things?

If folks are really keen on acquiring a Kawai t-shirt, I'm sure they can contact the chaps at Kawai's overseas offices and receive the official version.

Personally, I've got one of these on order:

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 04:03 AM

Hi James, Are the official Kawai T Shirts Free? I'd bet Gyro has one of those Williams shirts.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 04:09 AM

bluebilly, I'm not sure to be honest. I believe they're typically used by staff at sales events/exhibitions etc., however I expect the KUK chaps would be prepared to make them available to Kawai customers...perhaps for a small fee?

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 07:38 AM

Hello guys,

May I introduce you my new CN33 =D :

Got it delivered last friday. I'm very happy with it. I want to thank all of you who helped me with buying the CN33.
Now I got one question:
Are there any downloads for the CN33 ,like extra sounds etc. ?

Kind regards,

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 08:35 AM

Yay, congratulations NSA.

Interesting that the trim at the front of the fallboard looks metallic and different to mine. Mine is the same colour as the rest.

I don't know of any sound updates, but there is a firmware download available at http://www.kawai.de/downloads_de.htm , although I expect yours is already at the latest level.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 09:09 AM

I've chosen the satin black version, as it fits with the room. I think you got the rosewood finish? Well, it was a whole job to lift the 73kg heavy box up the stairs, but the endresult is great!

Kind regards,

Nashwan
Posted by: romeogg

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 03:27 PM

I am thinking of getting a CN33. Around my area (metro Atlanta, US), dealers ask for $2200, which is the same as the price on Kawai's web store. Does anybody know a place (internet or local) where I can get a better deal? I am looking for $1800 or less, according to the price paid thread.
Posted by: copperx

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/18/11 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: romeogg
I am thinking of getting a CN33. Around my area (metro Atlanta, US), dealers ask for $2200, which is the same as the price on Kawai's web store. Does anybody know a place (internet or local) where I can get a better deal? I am looking for $1800 or less, according to the price paid thread.

Ditto!

Also, for NSA: where did you get that cool adjustable bench?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/19/11 08:19 AM

Copperx, the set I bought included this bench and headphones. I think the mark of the bench was Stagg. According to the store owner the value of the bench was €150,-. That's quite much, but it's a high quality bench.

Kind regards,

Nashwan
Posted by: Simma

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/19/11 08:14 PM

I know it's not a CN-33 but my CN-43 arrived yesterday after too long a wait. I hope I can still be part of the club? It was after all you guys that got me looking at Kawai pianos in the first place. smile

As an aside (and happy to take it to a different topic if need be) does anyone know what the current firmware version for the CN-43 is? And how to check it?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/20/11 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Simma
I know it's not a CN-33 but my CN-43 arrived yesterday after too long a wait. I hope I can still be part of the club? It was after all you guys that got me looking at Kawai pianos in the first place. smile

As an aside (and happy to take it to a different topic if need be) does anyone know what the current firmware version for the CN-43 is? And how to check it?

Congrats Simma on your CN43. On the CN33 you can see the firmware version by pressing and holding down buttons: piano2, drawbar, harps&mallets, then turning it on. I don't know if this is the same for the 43. Maybe the 43 is too new to need a firmware update.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/20/11 05:09 AM

Congrats Simma!

As spanishbuddha notes, there have not been any firmware updates released for the CN43 yet.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: wuxia

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/25/11 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Fran_Z

Oh my, I didn't know that the key cover could slide just a bit so it can cover the buttons. The second picture is great =] thx

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/25/11 03:49 AM

Hi,

I have my CN-33 for many months now, and I really love it. But there's one thing that I don't like: For my taste, the E-Pianos need a very light touch response (LT2), the dark acoustic Piano (variation 3 of the 1st preset) is best with LT1, and the brighter pianos need normal touch sensitivity.
It's grea to *have* that choice in the fist place. But why can't I store it? I would like to store the touch respose, just as I can store the FX setting, individually for each preset.

I guess I'm not the only one who would love to have this - maybe it's part of a firmware update?

Kind Regards,

JH.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/25/11 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: wuxia
Originally Posted By: Fran_Z

Oh my, I didn't know that the key cover could slide just a bit so it can cover the buttons. The second picture is great =] thx

Yes this is handy as well as aesthetic. I practise with the cover hiding the controls to avoid ingraining any visual clues.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/25/11 11:25 AM

Guys, I need some help:

Today I had the plan to record a song on the CN33 and save it on my usb-stick and then save it on my laptop. But the sound quality is so bad.. It doesn't sound like a piano...
Is there any program to solve this problem?

Regards,

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/25/11 05:44 PM

NSA, I assume you are playing the MIDI file saved by the CN33 on your computer. On Windows, the default MIDI playback sounds are not very authentic, therefore I suggest using a dedicated software piano such as Pianoteq to 'render' the .MID file to a .WAV.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/26/11 09:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. So when I install pianoteq, will the notes sound 'normal'?
And is pianoteq for free?

Kind regards,

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/26/11 09:51 AM

Well, the notes will sound like Pianoteq - a modelled software piano.

Pianoteq can be downloaded for free trial from www.pianoteq.com, however there are two important restrictions:

- 8 notes are disabled (silent): F#1, G#1, A#1, C#5, D#5, F#5, G#5 and A#5.
- Must be restarted after 20 minutes.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted by: Bullitt

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/26/11 10:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. So when I install pianoteq, will the notes sound 'normal'?
And is pianoteq for free?

Kind regards,

Nashwan

I use this page to convert midi to MP3:

http://www.truepianos.com/demos.php

Frank

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/26/11 11:54 AM

Okay, I found out that I can connect the CN33 with a stereo jack cable. From the headphones out to the line in (of the laptop). Is this a good way to record?

Kind regards,

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/26/11 03:49 PM

What do you want to record - audio or midi, and why do you want to record?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/26/11 04:15 PM

I want to record audio. I just want to record my music plays. That's it.
Midi sounds bad, so I thought that connecting my DP with the laptop is better.

Kind regards,

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/26/11 04:51 PM

Why not try out all the different methods mentioned above, then judge which one sounds best for yourself?

James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/11 04:29 AM

Easiest is probably to use your digital camera or camcorder. No connecting up of anything, and on mine (Canon camera) the sound is surprisingly good. If I wanted better I'd buy a Zoom or Flip. But as KJ says try the different options since they all offer different possibilities, midi editing to correct key mistakes and some transcription, PC with audacity to normalise the sound and some editing, a VST on the PC allows you to experience different pianos, a separate device is just convenient and may still have some editing capability on the PC afterwards. It still depends on what your goal is and a separate device sounds it would meet your needs, simply.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/11 06:48 AM

Well, I already tried to convert midi to mp3 and using my Kodak HD camera.
Converting midi to mp3 didn't sound good. And my laptop doesn't play the sound of my recording with the camera (I don't know why?). So I thought it would be easier if I buy a cable and connect it with my laptop...

Kind regards,

Nashwan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/11 07:12 AM

NSA, try playing the Kodak HD camera files using VLC.

www.videolan.org/vlc

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 07/27/11 08:54 AM

Thanks James! The sound works now.
Quality of the sound is quiet good. But is the sounds quality by cable better?
I'm just curious. If heard that many people use a cable to connect their Dp with their computer/laptop and then record their plays with a program like audacity.

Kind regards,

Nashwan
Posted by: Marcs

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/25/11 10:32 AM

Hi at all members of this forum!

After reviewing all the pages and discussions about pianos and especially the Kawai CN-33, I would like to join this list of fascinated KAWAI piano players!

First of all, many thanks for all the contributions about the instrument in this forum. Tho I found this page a little late and I already had made up my decision when I found this discussion group on Google, I felt like being a part of here.

I am from Germany and ordered the KAWAI CN-33 one and a half week ago.
I attended a music school and professionally learned playing the piano a while ago and then stopped due to personal reasons. Now, I am registered on the waiting list there to start off again with the piano and give it a new try. A new piano should be a good basic for the lessons and also for my personal playings and so I decided to get a new one (currently I've got an old Roland JV-35 synthesizer)
The decision was not too easy as I wasn't into this DP topic at all, however, a local music store around the corner helped me a lot with the decision and kind of changed my mind. First, my thougts were focussed on purchasing a Yamaha, but when the lady of the music shop introduced me to the KAWAI CN series, she totally changed my way of thinking.

Personally, I had the impression that the sound of the KAWAI DPs is much more warmer and fuller than those of Yamaha. The touch of the keys felt slightly different (more realistic) than the touch of the Yamaha's - my personal impression..
I decided for the outrageous satin white color as I feel it fits best to the given surroundings in my flat.

Right now, sitting here in my lonely room waiting for this one special call for the piano to be delivered to my flat just drives me crazy.
I hope I can upload some pictures of the Kawai soonest.

Kindest regards,
Marcs

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/25/11 11:10 AM

Congrats Marcs, and welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your outrageous CN33! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/25/11 11:25 AM

Thanks James,

Hope to get them on here soon! cool

Keep in touch!

All the best
Marcs

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/25/11 01:07 PM

Yes congrats on your CN33. I've owned mine for more than a year now, practice most days for more than 1 hour, and to relieve male persistent GAS am always checking newer and 'better' (more expensive) DP's in the shops, but have to say I'm still satisfied with the purchase. The only suggestion I have is adjust the key touch to how you like it, then review it again after a while.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/25/11 01:41 PM

muchas gracias spanishbuddha smile
It feels good to hear that you are still satisfied with your purchase! Practicing for more than an hour reminds me of myself wink I've also been practicing for more than 1 hour day by day. There is something essential missing - a teacher. Youtube was good for the beginning to refresh the knowledge of the elementary things, but the more you get better the more you try to play more difficult music pieces. How do you learn the piano?

I felt very comfortable with the pre-set configuration they had in the music store. It was standard mode. What is your personal preference? I remember my time at the music school some years ago playing a real acoustic piano and can remember the key weight to be quiet heavy. I also remember that I played "Für Elise" slower on the acoustic one than on my synthesizer due to the key weight - my synthi doesn't have any.. wink

I recently checked my inbox and received an email from the store - the piano is supposed to be delivered this Friday! Can't wait to wake up on Friday now wink

Have a great eve!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/25/11 06:07 PM

Friday huh, bet time has slowed down for you wink

I'm an older beginner and don't have a teacher. I've taught myself several Yann Tiersen and Einaudi pieces mostly from music sheets, all really way above my ability but they are the reason I started. Then I used the Piano Handbook and worked my way through to Fur Elise. Then in summer I realised I didn't really have a foundation built on chords, intervals, timing, sight reading, keys, so have started on Alfred's Level 1. I'm flying through it at the moment since compared to what I've learnt it seems a bit basic but I'm soaking it in. I may get a teacher next possibly in 2012. At least I can play pretty well about 10 or so decent pieces modern and classical which really exceeds my initial goal for starting.

Since I've had the CN33 I experimented with Pianoteq, liked it, also layering it on top of a CN33 sound, and also layering two CN33 piano sounds. Now I just use the default piano sounds usually 1-1, 2-1 or 2-3, but your ear may prefer others. I also use Church Organ to play Bachs Toccata which my family loves.

I don't remember the default touch setting. As a beginner I needed a heavier touch to get some control over the dynamics. I use HE1 and had to look as I had forgotten as I've not changed it now for ages.

I did have a Casio PX330 which had a lighter keyboard and was fun to play but I've now sold it. Hence the gas for a stage piano.

Enjoy your CN33 this weekend but don't overdo it.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/26/11 03:59 AM

Oh time really slowed down for me.. I already count the minutes and time won't pass by quickly. If I didn't have a job that makes me think of other things, I would have gone crazy wink

Interesting to hear how you began to become successful in playing the piano. Seems to be a good alternative for the very beginning. In my opinion, there will be an immense cut if no teacher will be considered for the future - except for the idea that you're "equipped" with a lot of talent by nature. I was glad to have a teacher in the beginning who taught me a big bunch of basics and advanced musical lessons - just to have an idea WHAT I'd play in theory when hitting the keys. When you have this knowledge, things will evolve quicker. Hence left and right hand playing seems to be more logical and easier to understand for your subconscious mind. At least that is what I have been experiencing during my "career".

I've already tried pianoteq, but stopped using it because of the wide variety of configurable settings. Personally, I think the KAWAI sound of the piano sounds very realistic (hum, I don't really have anything to compare than the acoustic piano I used to play in former times) and should do for some years.

I will try layering two piano sounds with the CN 33 and compare to single non-layered piano sound. I didn't try this one at the music store.

So you played Yann Tiersen as a beginner? WOW! According to my experiences, Yann Tiersen is pretty difficult to play. If you like the sound of Yann Tiersen, get yourself the music book of YIRUMA piano pieces. Just beautiful and I like the way how it feels to play his compositions. His tracks just leave me breathless.

I also had an eye at the stage pianos but did not like them too much for their optical appearance. The CN 33 just looked right for my desires.

Thanks for all your advise so far! I will be uploading the pictures on Friday - hopefully! smile

Have a nice rest of the week and take care!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/28/11 08:34 AM

The Piano arrived yesterday in the evening - faster delivery than expected.

Unfortunately my tripod for the camera is broken and I couldn't take a good picture with long exposure time (evening and dim light) but I will take some more as soon as I get back home from work.

Here are some pics I could take yesterday. Sorry for the dark ones - I will upload two or three more soon - also of the whole Kawai.

The feeling of playing is just perfect! I really like the piano sounds of the piano! the others are great and breath-taking as well, but I only need the piano for the time being.

Have a great weekend!
Marcs

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/28/11 10:18 AM

Congrats Marcs, White looks really bold for the right surroundings. I've also got a tube lamp like yours, but in our bedroom not on the piano. The CN33 group of users here just keeps on going. Many stop contributing to PW presumably too busy playing.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/28/11 11:48 AM

Congrats Marcs! The white CN33 looks terrific. wink

I hope your new piano brings you many years of musical enjoyment!

Have a great weekend.

James
x
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/28/11 12:49 PM

Looks pretty good. In the right setting the white works well. I like the lamp and love the elephants. Now just take the plastic off your seat and get rid of the wood-chip wallpaper! grin

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/28/11 01:17 PM

Congrats Marcs, White looks really bold for the right surroundings. I've also got a tube lamp like yours, but in our bedroom not on the piano. The CN33 group of users here just keeps on going. Many stop contributing to PW presumably too busy playing.

Even Fred Lierman, the OP who started this thread, hasn't posted since July 2010.....are you still around Fred?
-

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/28/11 03:00 PM

Thanks everybody for your nice comments on my white Kawai. It really makes me feel good from inside to read your kind comments!

@spanishbuddah: Try putting your cylindric lamp on your DP as well, this helps you a lot during your playings! wink I don't prefer the light to come from the background or anything.. The lamp is just right and the shadow drops in a way that you don't mix up the keys wink

@EssBrace: Thanks smile I bought the elephants in a zoo and put them into my wall system - didn't touch them for several months, but I thought the piano would look better with some kind of African touch. Thanks for the advise to take off the plastic bag. Before I logged in here some minutes ago, I thought about the plastic bag to be standard equipment with the seat or if it is just there to protect the seat from dirt wink I took it off now. The wood-chip wallpaper.. well.. very good idea - I'll think about this again and then do some complete refurbishment of my living room. Seems like a piano can make you very busy - even if it's got nothing to do with hitting the keys laugh

How do all of you record your playings? Do you use MIDI or Line I/O? I thought about using an audio cable to record the sound with some suitable audio software. Maybe you've got some hints according to your daily experience.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/30/11 02:22 PM

Here go the other pics of my white Kawai I promised earlier in this thread:

I hope this will help future buyers to faciliate their decisions if they will already have chosen for the Kawai but need an idea what the white finish looks like.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 10/30/11 05:27 PM

Nice pics Marcs!

What kind of camera are you using?

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/01/11 02:21 AM

Thanks James,

I use a DSLR - Canon EOS 10D for my photos.

Best wishes,
Marcs

Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/01/11 01:19 PM

...wow! I mean WOW! THIS CN33 in white looks so tamping, I just run out of words to say the least!!!

A piano in white! Sort of strange but MAN, this looks COOL!!! 10 out of 10!!!

One day I might get a CN33 like this!!

Till than I'm playing my Yamaha CP33 till it stands!!!

Thanks for the pics!!! You have an instrument like no other!

/z
Posted by: toddy

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/01/11 01:43 PM

I mean WOW, too. So beautiful. A marvel. It's like the 'Yes' at the end of Ulysses. In fact it looks life transforming. Get me one of those items!

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/01/11 05:52 PM

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
- Charles Caleb Colton, Lacon, volume I, no. 183

Posted by: toddy

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/01/11 07:55 PM

Thank you James. smile

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/02/11 02:16 AM

Thanks everybody for your kind comments on the white CN 33 smile
It really is life changing and breathtaking! Everytime I see it, I just feel like "WOW, still can't believe this is in my house now!" smile
In the beginning I was unsure about purchasing a white one because it also looked strange to me in some way, but on the other hand this one took a seat in my mind. I couldn't stop thinking about this white piano, tho I wanted to purchase the rosewood finish beforehands. So I decided to take the white one and see what happens. BEST PURCHASE FOR ME since I am alive - truely! I would go with this white one again and again and again and again and...

I want to stress out again for all the unregistered readers that might be going through this thread right now, that it is not only the finish that looks promising, but also the sounds! I have never heard such nice sounds from a DP before! The feel of playing on the keys just feels right and you get that special feeling as if you are in concert playing on a grand piano! - This one is my best recommendation for the DPs for everyone with less money than the rich (sounds logical actually wink ).

Thanks again for all your kind comments!

Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/27/11 11:20 AM

The last Friday I went to a local store to buy a new DP. At first, I was interested in buying the Kawai CN-23, due to I preferred a more compact size. But that model was not at the store. The salesman encouraged me to try out the CN-33 and I loved it. The vendor offered me a good price, so I decided to buy this model.

Previously I had tried out the ROLAND HP-302, at other local store. I liked this piano as well, but I liked the CN-33 much more. I’m a beginner, so I cannot explain why I prefer one model over other. I suppose that I like more the sound and touch of CN-33. I also prefer the look of Kawai over Roland.

I asked for the mahogany finish, and I have to wait some days to receive the piano. I hope to be lucky with this piano!
Posted by: Rostosky

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/27/11 11:26 AM

I wish you most good luck Recaredo, after the issues you had with your old one you deserve it.

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/27/11 11:28 AM

Thanks Rossy!
Posted by: ZoeCalgary

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/27/11 11:57 AM

Recardo congratulations on your new piano. I just players Cn33 last week and I liked it too. I think you will be very happy! It is a very nice piano.

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/27/11 12:01 PM

Congrats Recardo. I've had mine for 18 months and am still very happy with it. Post a picture please when you get it.

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/27/11 12:48 PM

Pics pls.

Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... - 11/27/11 06:14 PM

Thanks for your comments, guys. I'll post some photos when the piano arrives.

Cheers!
Posted by: nikky

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/29/11 01:31 AM

Marcs - congrats on your purchase! I love the look of the white ones! 3hearts I would buy one but you can not buy white ones in Australia. So instead I just admire the pictures I see on here smile

Originally Posted By: Marcs
Here go the other pics of my white Kawai I promised earlier in this thread:

I hope this will help future buyers to faciliate their decisions if they will already have chosen for the Kawai but need an idea what the white finish looks like.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/29/11 02:24 PM

The piano has arrived this evening. It looks pretty nice.

Now I only have to learn to play it! laugh

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/29/11 03:23 PM

Nice. You'll enjoy learning to play it. I do.
Posted by: jrcallan

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/02/11 06:09 PM

Recaredo:

That looks beautiful - which wood finish is that?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/03/11 04:19 AM

Hi Jrcallan, the finish is mahogany.

Spanishbuddha, I'm glad you are also enjoying this DP!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/03/11 04:56 AM

Recaredo, good choice!

Mahogany is my favourite of the the Kawai DP finishes (behind ebony polish).

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/03/11 05:10 AM

Thanks James!
Posted by: Dr Popper

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/03/11 05:34 AM

That's actually a very nice finish indeed (and that's coming from someone who believes all pianos should be black)

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/06/11 04:39 AM

Thanks nikky for the congrats on my "kawaiian" purchase ;-) Nice to hear that you adore this finish as well. I still love this piano too much! smile

Congrats on your purchase recaredo. The mahagony finish loots pretty good and matches your room entirely! I wish you all the pleasure one can have with your new Kawai! :-)

All the best
Marcs

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/07/11 10:02 AM

Thanks for your comments, Dr Popper and Marcs.

Your CN-33 also looks pretty nice, Marcs!
Posted by: PianoPeter73

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/18/11 05:33 PM

Hi,

I'm a new proud owner of a Kawai CN33. I'm loving the piano. The sound is great and so is the touch and the build quality is also very good. Here a couple of pictures:

Meanwhile, can anyone send me a picture of the back of your CN33 so I can see how you fixed the pedal cord? Looking at the assembly instructions I couldn't quite understand how you should fix the pedal cord with the cord clamps.

Best regards.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/18/11 05:57 PM

Congrats PianoPeter. Enjoy.

Not sure I understand about the pedal cord. On mine it runs up the left side at the back, and the slack in the cord is just retained by the cord clamp, so that it doesn't sag down under its own weight. You can't see it from the back of the piano because of the back partition.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/18/11 07:24 PM

Congratulations PianoPeter, your CN33 looks terrific - great photographs too!

The CN series owner's manuals are based on an older format, with the assembly instructions for the CN33/CN43 in particular a little difficult to follow. As spanishbuddha notes, the pedal cable should extend from underneath the pedal board, behind the instrument's back board, then through the aperture, into the pedal connector. To improve the appearance, any slack in the cable can be reduced using the clips/clamps.

Here is a similar explanation from the CA63 owner's manual. While the assembly process for this model is a little different, many of the principles from step 4 should still apply.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted by: PianoPeter73

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/19/11 04:24 AM

Thanks Kawai James. That helped a lot!

Best regards.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/19/11 08:35 AM

Oh that's interesting. Mine, assembled by the shop does not look like that. Both the power and pedal cords do not run 'behind the instruments back board' so are not visible from behind. In my case my CN33 is not located against a wall but in the middle (sort of) of a room so in fact it's tidier not to be able to see the cables there. You can't see them from the front either unless you poke your head under the keyboard. I guess they would be more evident though with a white model! It obviously doesn't matter - just saying.
Posted by: BrokenChord

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/26/11 05:42 AM

Can someone share their piano settings with me? What touch sensitivity do you use? I played this at the Piano Company in Maryland and the keys felt a little too easy to push down. The guy told me that you could change the touch and showed me how but it felt more or less the same.

What touch and sound settings do you guys use? What is the best volume to keep the piano at?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/26/11 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: BrokenChord
Can someone share their piano settings with me? What touch sensitivity do you use? I played this at the Piano Company in Maryland and the keys felt a little too easy to push down. The guy told me that you could change the touch and showed me how but it felt more or less the same.

What touch and sound settings do you guys use? What is the best volume to keep the piano at?

I think the keys on the CN33 are quite light (physically) compared to the PHAIII actions on the latest Roland's. I prefer to describe the touch as responsive though smile I have my CN33 set to Heavy1. You need to experiment playing legato ppp thru fff though to find your own preference.

I also have the volume set to 3/4 when using inbuilt speakers and about 1/2 when using headphones.
Posted by: zack!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/26/11 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BrokenChord

Touch setting is not physical touch, this is how the sound engine responses to your strike (what volume gain and velocity layer maps this velocity). I use the default setting.

Concerning volume speaker [1/3 .. 3/5], depending if I can disturb someone or not, concerning headhones, depends on your model, my new ones [1/3 .. 1/2] my old one needs to be pushed more...

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 12/26/11 05:27 PM

My settings are these ones:

Touch: Light 1 (My fingers are not very strong)

Volume using inbuilt speakers: 40%

Volume using headphones: 25%

Ah, and my favourite sound is “Studio Grand 1”

Regards

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/11/12 03:11 PM

I totally agree with zack! This can also be read in the user's manual on the related page.
I like to play the second grand piano sound from the first button and put some effect "hall 2" to it - just great!

Till now, I have never used a volumer louder than 50% of the whole volume pitch length. Sometimes, 1/4 is even enough. Of course, this depends on many points.

I do not want to make advertisement or stuff, but recently I recorded a track using my audio interface (no further editing with the software). Since I decided on my purchase due to all the comments in this forum, I would like to include this video in this thread for all those who might be silent not-registered readers. This may faciliate their choice in some way maybe. If this should be against the forum's policies, please let me know and I will remove the video link.

Kawai CN-33 - Yann Tiersen

PianoPeter73, congrats on your purchase!! Your Kawai just looks breath-taking!

All the best

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/11/12 06:04 PM

Nice playing Marcs. I will have to try that piano sound.

I mostly use the first one from the second piano button. But change every now and then over the months.

How did you record the sound?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 01/26/12 07:10 AM

thanks spanishbuddah!
Sorry, I didn't have the possibility to log in here any earlier.
To be honest, I have not yet checked the second sound by playing something complete. Only hit three scores using that sound and went further in the categories. I will check later today what it sounds like for classical, blues/jazz or modern piano pieces.

I use a Behringer Audio Interface I purchased from Thomann in Germany. It is not that expensive but has some noise when you record your tracks via line out. It is a good low budget interface for home purposes, but that's all about it.

What I don't understand is that if I record my playings via lineout, the volume switch of the piano should be out of interest and one could slide it to the right or left and nothing would happen....actually... For my piano, however, this standard rule does not apply. If I record a song and slide the volume switch, it will be recorded louder or opposite on my PC (Audacity). Anyone with the same "problem"?

Everytime my teacher hands me out some new music scores for further practicing, I use the transpose function after a while of practice so that it sounds a bit "different". This is cool when you are about to "hate" this song for playing it over and over again.
Posted by: NatFL

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/15/12 11:47 PM

After researching different models and reading through this thread, I have to say that the CN33 is #1 on my wishlist. Everyone's photos look so elegant, and it sounds like there are many happy owners of this model. I hope the dealer in my town carries one so I can try it out this weekend!

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/16/12 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: NatFL
After researching different models and reading through this thread, I have to say that the CN33 is #1 on my wishlist. Everyone's photos look so elegant, and it sounds like there are many happy owners of this model. I hope the dealer in my town carries one so I can try it out this weekend!

Yes it's a good value mid-range DP. There may be better sounds and key actions around but not at this price in the same package. You can make a mistake and get worse, or you can spend more and get better. But it's all what you what and like so you have to try them yourself.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 02/20/12 08:39 AM

The CN33 indeed is an outrageous piano.
Yes, try to play it yourself and decide if you can identify yourself with this great piano!

Any questions, feel free to ask in case your local cannot provide you with suitable answers - what I doubt wink

Greetings!
Posted by: gabimka

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/30/12 04:31 AM

I just bought Kawai CN 33 in White for my daughter and assembled it yesterday. It plays so nicely and looks very good when assembled. I spent the whole night playing it - something I could never do with my acoustic piano.
However, I didn't know that the pedal cables could be run so that they are not visible from the back and now I would like to have it reassembled this way. The manual doesn't mention where to run the pedal cable, it only says to "Unfasten and extend the pedal connection cable attached to the bottom of the pedal board." Could please someone give me a detailed instruction or send a picture? Thanks a lot.
Gabriela

Not sure I understand about the pedal cord. On mine it runs up the left side at the back, and the slack in the cord is just retained by the cord clamp, so that it doesn't sag down under its own weight. You can't see it from the back of the piano because of the back partition.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 08/30/12 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: gabimka

However, I didn't know that the pedal cables could be run so that they are not visible from the back and now I would like to have it reassembled this way. The manual doesn't mention where to run the pedal cable, it only says to "Unfasten and extend the pedal connection cable attached to the bottom of the pedal board." Could please someone give me a detailed instruction or send a picture? Thanks a lot.
Gabriela

Congrats on the CN33 Gabriela. I bet it looks awesome in white. (Wish I could see by a photo smile ). Two years on I think it's a great value DP that competes with much more expensive ones.

My post is a bit misleading. I'm not sure if it's possible by design to run the pedal cord around the front so that it is not visible from the back. The back partition has cable clamps for the pedal and power cord, at the side and back, to keep them neatly out the way but still at the back.

I guess you could loosen the lowest RH screw of the partition (looking from the back) and feed the pedal cable through the gap to the front inside?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/14/12 06:39 PM

As one of the original contributors to this thread, CN33 owner and enthusiast.

So it ends. Two years on I have just sold my, much beloved, CN33. frown

Played it 1 to 2 hours just about very day. Good days, bad days. Mostly good days I have to say as it was just a delight. Never had a problem either. Keys stayed true, cabinet flawless, sound good enough. The new owner (a school) has a bargain.

I would have kept it if I had the room. But it makes way for a new hybrid DP, coming soon.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/14/12 07:02 PM

Thanks for posting this spanishbuddha - as one chapter comes to an end, another will surely begin.

Enjoy your new NU1!

James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 09/23/12 01:41 AM

Thanks for posting this spanishbuddha - as one chapter comes to an end, another will surely begin.

Enjoy your new NU1!

James
x

My guess is a Kawai K-5 ATX Hybrid Anytime Piano.
Posted by: gabimka

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/16/12 08:26 AM

I was not successul in hiding the pedal cable but here is the picture of my cn33 in white :-) It was standing in my study room at that time. I really like the color, sound and all the various feature but still I am not in perfect harmony with it since the keys respond slightly different than my old acoustic grand piano keys. But my daughter loves it and she plays it more than the old one because it enables her sound privacy both for playing and componing.

Posted by: StefaanBelgium

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/16/12 09:06 AM

Looks very good in white in that environment !
Isn't ther a gap between the backplate and the keyboard console where you can pass the cable ? On my CA65 that's the way to route the cable.

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/16/12 09:43 AM

StefaanBelgium, I believe that's the headphone cable you see on the right hand side, although you're correct, it should be possible to attach the pedal cable to the instrument without it being clearly visible.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/16/12 01:30 PM

Congrats. It looks very nice in white.

I can't see the pedal cable in the photo, but as the others say you can take it up and around the back out of site, then through to the inside underneath the main cabinet, where it is only visible to someone looking underneath. I think Kawai should supply white cables though with this cabinet wink
Posted by: pv88

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/16/12 11:24 PM

Congrats. It looks very nice in white.

+1
Posted by: Adam.137

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/28/12 03:27 PM

Hi Boys and Gals!

I'm planning to be a very happy owner of a CN33 soon. However, it is 2 yrs old already, and is in "an absolutely perfect condition", as always.

Is there any achilles-point of this unit that I should take a good look at before taking the piano home?

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/28/12 03:40 PM

Maybe some shine off the matt ivory key surface is to be expected especially in the center of the keyboard. The keys do loosen, and slight unevenness with gaps, but should all play smoothly with no clicking or rubbing on adjacent keys. I sold mine after two years also in almost new condition, and these were the only signs that it was not new.
Posted by: gvfarns

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/28/12 03:48 PM

I don't think so. The CP33 is a solid and proven unit, though not the latest tech, as you point out. Basically just be sure to play every single key to make sure none of them are broken or excessively noisy. Such breakage not super common, but is about the only kind of serious mechanical wear-and-tear digitals are subject to.
Posted by: E. Christensen

Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! - 11/08/13 01:17 AM

I agree with the comments regarding the "ivory touch". It really does help make the feel seem more legitimate.