Yamaha Modus R01

Posted by: nikedotcom7

Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/23/10 11:15 PM

Hi,

I live in NYC. Due to limited space at home, I'm looking to buy a compact digital piano. and it has to be white.
I'm thinking of buying a white Yamaha Modus R01. I can't find a dealer close to me that has the model in stock. I have never tried it out and I have only heard the sound of it on youtube (even the sole clip of it has been removed by the user).

An internet dealer is quoting it around $US5,000.
I don't need any effects.
My only concern is the key actions and the sound.

Wonder if anyone has ever played on Yamaha R01 or owns it?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!!
Posted by: Mr Romance

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/24/10 08:35 AM

That is a big sacrifice for a color.
Posted by: MacMacMac

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/24/10 11:27 AM

Yes, a very big sacrifice. Compared with this R01, the Clavinova CLP340 with "similar" sound specs costs $1500 less. And it has recording capability, MIDI, LAN, USB, display, many voices, etc. Get the Clav ... and a can of white paint! smile
Posted by: JackTG

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/24/10 02:54 PM

It's a strange beast, the Modus. The keyboard is lighter than a GH3 action and actually feels more like a GHS but more 'substantial' if that makes sense. As for the sound, it's really on par with the CLP-340 but more brilliant. Personally, I love the looks and for a lot of people, that more than makes up for its shortcomings when compared to similarly priced models.
Posted by: Gyro

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/24/10 03:01 PM

If you want a white piano, then you should consider the Roland
FP 4. I've seen one and it was just about the sharpest-looking
little thing I've ever seen, and I'm not one to go for white
pianos. And it's much less expensive than the modus, with
not much difference in performance.
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/24/10 03:33 PM

I agree, the Modus is just so expensive, I don't see where the money is in it. The sound engine is getting on now. I have a feeling that Yamaha, which is now quite some way behind Roland and Kawai in a technical sense, will pop something new and very good out onto the market early next year thereby making their current range look horribly obsolete. As Gyro points out, the FP-4 is nearly as good looking and way cheaper...but that too is significantly outclassed by more modern stuff - the action in particular is too light and feels a bit cheap.

Cheers,

Steve
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/24/10 05:54 PM

How about a white Roland F-110:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1028&ParentId=40

...or a white Kawai CN33 (coming soon)?

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: ChrisA

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/24/10 06:21 PM

$5000 Yikes.

Buy a silver P155. They come with a matching stand. Silver is not white but it's kind of close. I think you get better key action and sound the price is about $1,200, not $5,000. You are paying a lot for cosmetics

I wonder what it would cost to paint a digital piano? Likely only about $50 and a few hours work with a screwdriver to remove the case

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/25/10 01:29 AM

Hi all,

thank you for your feedbacks!

I tried out Kawai CN23 and 33. I like the key actions as it plays almost like an acoustic piano. I was very close to getting it this past weekend. The only reason I never got it, was that the piano doesn't come in white. It is very hard to get a white piano!!!

I tried out Roland F110. However, I didn't like it as much as CN23 nor 33.

Also, I would like to try out Roland FP4. However, I don't think they come in white.

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/25/10 01:31 AM

By the way, is there a white Kawai CN33 coming out?

I'm not in a rush to get the piano. I still have my guitar to play around with for now. I can wait!

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/25/10 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: nikedotcom7
Hi all,
I tried out Roland F110. However, I didn't like it as much as CN23 nor 33.

Also, I would like to try out Roland FP4. However, I don't think they come in white.

I think the FP4 shares the same "alpha" key action as the F110. It's Roland's lower priced keys. You need to move up to the FP7 at least to get the not-alpha key action which is very different.

So I think you'd need to move up to at last the FP7 or RD700 before Rolands keys have the quality of any Kawai. If the FP7 is better or worse I can't say, they are different. If you want to try out a Roland just to see how t compares look for an RD700GX. It is representative of the better Rolands and it is common and easy to find in stores. The difference from an F110 and RD700 is not subtle
Posted by: Rui725

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/25/10 02:30 AM

F110 has terrible action. (from experience)

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/25/10 02:34 AM

nikedotcom7, I believe the CN33W is due for launch in Europe shortly, however I'm afraid I do not know if this finish will be available in the US.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/25/10 07:43 AM

Well there's the answer...if it gets released in the US, a white Kawai...a thoroughly modern DP in the finish you want. You'd never find it in a snow storm though.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/25/10 08:44 AM

Out of curiosity why does the piano have to be white?

You do realize that severely limits you when it comes time to sell.

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 08/25/10 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
Out of curiosity why does the piano have to be white?

You do realize that severely limits you when it comes time to sell.

Hi all,

thank you for all your feedbacks!!! You have been really helpful.

Well, if it is up to me, it wouldn't matter as much but there is a second party making a joint decision with me! smile

I'm gonna wait until at least New Year before making a decision.

I'll probably contact Kawai, and see if they would release CN33 in white color here in the States.

II actually just called Yamaha to see if any dealers in NY stock Modus R01 so I could try the piano out. If the sound and key action of R01 is good, I wouldn't mind scrimping on my expenses and buy R01.

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/26/10 08:42 PM

Hi all,

I ended up buying Yamaha Modus R01 for less than $5,000. I took a leap of faith buying the piano before actually having played it. I'm glad to say that I'm very happy with my decision.

The last 6 months, I have been trying out digital pianos, Yamaha YDP and CLP series, Kawaii CN and CA series, also Roland F100. None of them come close to playing like an acoustic piano the way R01 does.

It sounds great, playing like an acoustic piano, made of very good quality materials!! IMO, it is worth every dollar of it.

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/26/10 08:56 PM

Congrats!

I'm a little curious as to how the R01 differs from a CLP though - do they not share the same keyboard/sound technology?

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: Dr Popper

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/26/10 11:09 PM

Its got me stumped as well ...its exactly the same as a CLP380 ....

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/26/10 11:49 PM

Are these specs correct?

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 01:08 AM

I believe so .... its a CLP370 without the good speaker system ;-)

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 01:19 AM

4-level sampling?

That's a CLP340, surely...without the features.

And just one sound? I'm guessing there's a lot more to this instrument than the specs suggest.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
4-level sampling?

That's a CLP340, surely...without the features.

And just one sound? I'm guessing there's a lot more to this instrument that the specs suggest.

Cheers,
James
x

Yes, a lot more to it than that....a lot more money needed to buy it, that's what!

I suppose it's a "lifestyle" choice, and it is probably very well made. I had a little go a year or so back on the other Modus, the more expensive one....the H01 do they call it? The one that looks like a massive yellow kite just landed on some angle iron. I was impressed actually...not with the sound unfortunately...very average and much too bright. But everything else was impressive - mainly the build quality and materials used. However, list price was something absolutely insane...I think it was well over six grand (£GBP). It joined the Yamaha price lists (in the UK at least) at exactly the same price as the GranTouch.

Steve

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 06:05 AM

Actually ... its more about the looks
Inside is a CLP370 and the same wood fake ivory keyboard is used.

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 06:10 AM

Dr P,

With the exception of the NW keyboard, how is the N01 closer to a CLP340 than a CLP370?

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 06:39 AM

nikedotcom7, I believe the CN33W is due for launch in Europe shortly, however I'm afraid I do not know if this finish will be available in the US.

Kind regards,
James
x

Does that come with sun glasses?

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 09:41 AM

Dr P,

With the exception of the NW keyboard, how is the N01 closer to a CLP340 than a CLP370?

Cheers,
James
x

It isn't as I've said its a 370 in a different case with no features and worse speakers for 3 times the price.
My god he said he wasn't in a hurry I just realized he could have bought nearly THREE white FP7F's for the $5000

I simply cannot understand this ... without a doubt the Modus is a good looking unit but WOW you pay a lot more and get a lot less for the look.

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 09:47 AM

Sorry, I meant to write 'how is the N01 closer to a CLP370 than a CLP340.

Quote:
My god he said he wasn't in a hurry I just realized he could have bought nearly THREE white FP7F's for the $5000

Well, that may be true, but to be honest, it really doesn't matter what we think - the most important thing is that nikedotcom7 has found a beautiful instrument that he/she enjoys playing.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: PianoZac

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 06:11 PM

For that kind of money, you mine as well get you a good used upright, or the Roland V-Piano. For the kind of money you're looking to spend, save a little longer and get the Roland RG-1F. It's $7,000, but you'd be incredibly happy vs. the Yamaha Modus R01. It's a gorgeous instrument that sounds amazing thanks to it's SuperNATURAL engine, has the PHAIII Ivory Feel keys. Follow this link:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1078

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 07:30 PM

PianoZac, I agree - that RG-1F looks terrific.

However the original poster required the instrument to be white.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
[quote=Kawai James]Dr P,

I just realized he could have bought nearly THREE white FP7F's for the $5000

I simply cannot understand this ... without a doubt the Modus is a good looking unit but WOW you pay a lot more and get a lot less for the look.

I used to not understand it too. Then I fond that many people are in a position where they don't need to care if something costs $5K or $2K. They make that before lunch every day.

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/27/10 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
[quote=Kawai James]Dr P,

I just realized he could have bought nearly THREE white FP7F's for the $5000

I used to not understand it too. Then I fond that many people are in a position where they don't need to care if something costs $5K or $2K. They make that before lunch every day.

Yeah I understand that (not really I'm a musician its against my religion to wake up before lunch) but still ...this guy was hunting around for the best price online rather then buying from a local NYC dealer so price had to be some consideration. As James said ...it doesn't have to make sense to us.

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/28/10 08:16 PM

Hi all,

R01 seems like it has similar specs as CLP370 but R01 just sounds much better. For a layman like me, it is hard to tell that R01 is actually a digital piano. In comparison, as soon as my wife and I tried on a CLP370, the sound was determinedly digital. Also, R01 doesn't play like a digital piano. The keys - you feel like you are playing on a very good acoustic piano.

My wife and I tried on a $5,000 Roland on a Sam Ash store in Long Island. I don't remember which model was it, but I think it could one of the V-series. Personally, I didn't like it one bit. The keys didn't play like an acoustic piano.

I'll try to post a video of it soon!

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/28/10 08:33 PM

Well, I'm glad it worked out for both yourself and your wife.

It's still a little strange that you should find the action of the R01 to feel so much better than the CLP-370, despite both instruments listing the same keyboard specifications. However, that's of little concern now - the important thing is that you have purchased a piano that looks terrific and by all accounts sounds and plays very well.

Once again, congrats - I shall look forward to seeing the videos!

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Yamaha Modus R01 - 09/28/10 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: nikedotcom7
Hi all,

R01 seems like it has similar specs as CLP370 but R01 just sounds much better. For a layman like me, it is hard to tell that R01 is actually a digital piano. In comparison, as soon as my wife and I tried on a CLP370, the sound was determinedly digital. Also, R01 doesn't play like a digital piano. The keys - you feel like you are playing on a very good acoustic piano.

My wife and I tried on a $5,000 Roland on a Sam Ash store in Long Island. I don't remember which model was it, but I think it could one of the V-series. Personally, I didn't like it one bit. The keys didn't play like an acoustic piano.

I'll try to post a video of it soon!

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

As long as your happy with it you can hear whatever you like I guess. Its your $5000 .... thank god.