Roland USB Stick?

Posted by: Taking Requests

Roland USB Stick? - 12/28/10 07:13 PM

Hi -

Was wondering if anybody has any input on why, in the user's manual for the Roland HP-302, they state that only Roland brand USB memory stick should be used?

(It's pricey... $42 for 1 gig!)

Anybody have any experience using a generic USB stick with a Roland?

Thanks.
Posted by: dewster

Re: Roland USB Stick? - 12/28/10 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Taking Requests
Was wondering if anybody has any input on why, in the user's manual for the Roland HP-302, they state that only Roland brand USB memory stick should be used?

(It's pricey... $42 for 1 gig!)

Do they say you take the super special Roland blessed $42 USB stick and plug it into any old PC? If so, then they're probably thinking we're all idiots and as such are easy marks.

The hell of it is, I'd actually pay $100 for a extra GB of Flash samples in our NX. Heck, I'd pay $400 - that's how desperate DP manufacturers have made me.

Come and see the violence inherent in the system.
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Roland USB Stick? - 12/28/10 07:51 PM

Taking Requests, I doubt the Roland instruments will only function with Roland-branded USB sticks. More likely, they're just being extra cautious in case there is a particular brand that doesn't work correctly.

I'm sure you'll be fine using a generic stick, and if doesn't work, just try another brand - they're not overly expensive.

dewster, any update on your wife's opinion of the RD-700NX?

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: dewster

Re: Roland USB Stick? - 12/29/10 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
More likely, they're just being extra cautious in case there is a particular brand that doesn't work correctly.

They're being extra cautious to make extra money.
Posted by: ClassicalMastery

Re: Roland USB Stick? - 12/29/10 08:48 AM

The owner's manual states that only the Roland memory stick should be used because Roland does not want to test other brands of memory. Testing incurs additional development expense. As an additional factor, available memory capacity and its specs change over a period of years. In the past users were critical of Roland when trying to obtain some types of memory that were very difficult to find. By restricting the memory type to the Roland USB memory the company ensures the user that the product will be available as long as Roland supports the instrument.

As for technicial matters, there is no reason for a user of the HP-302 to buy the Roland USB memory and incur extra expense. I have owned several Roland instruments and used the least expensive USB memory in them. Look for a stick that costs about $10 USD.
Posted by: bobbo

Re: Roland USB Stick? - 12/29/10 12:27 PM

I used third party cheap Sony £10 USB stick in my Roland Grand.

Big mistake.

It caused my piano to explode while I was playing it. I was electrocuted, which caused my hair and teeth to fall out. The piano violently blew up at the back, creating a huge hole in the wall, before dropping onto the street below and landing on a passer by.

Please do not use any USB memory apart from Rolands.
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Roland USB Stick? - 12/29/10 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bobbo
I used third party cheap Sony £10 USB stick in my Roland Grand.

Big mistake.

It caused my piano to explode while I was playing it. I was electrocuted, which caused my hair and teeth to fall out. The piano violently blew up at the back, creating a huge hole in the wall, before dropping onto the street below and landing on a passer by.

Please do not use any USB memory apart from Rolands.

Holy Innocents was yesterday! smile