KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log.

Posted by: puff

KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/09/11 12:27 PM

STARDATE 09 02 6011...

Got the MP6 a few days ago when I powered it on the LEDs were blinking at me - like in a mains hum cycle... then a few of the momentory butons were sticking down when pressed and then would pop up with a loud click!
So I rang the supplier who said he'd get in another unit from the distributor and swap them over...all that day I was thinking about if I should ring him back and say I wanted to cancel and get the MP10 sent instesd. The only gigging I do is on a Blues harp so weight is not that crucial.Though there is a local Jazz jam started so who knows...I started to think semi hard case with a dolly + bungies... (I use to work for an art transport company and I know about moving heavy gear you know, its all about center of gravity and balance) ... wouldnt want to move that beast on a regular basis though... anyway I came within a hair's breadth of getting the MP10.

Well Ive now decided Im gonna keep with the MP6 and Ive got no remorse cause this is one hell of a Roland RD700GX killer if not the NX and especially considering the cost.
I got this for £1099 inc. and just noticed a RD700NX for sale on Sound On Sound for £1800 so new he must have paid two grand.
The simulated escapement is a minor detail I know, but when I had the RD700GX I used to bug be when playing softly that I could feel this as an impediment . On the MP6 its there but dose not interfere with soft playing.
Right now I ve got the KOrg SV-1 88 perched above the Kawai MIDIed up and I can tell you the actual keys are (to quote a popular song)night and day and though the SVs Rhodes are warm and rounded theEPs on the Kawai are just as playable and sonicly not faraway from the Korg.

Ill post in more detail later about this smoking instument!

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/09/11 09:16 PM

Hey Frank Dad, You into clavs?
I never liked rompler clavs but just found the Setup Clavi=PedWah (2 3 D)What a blast! Just composed my first solo
funky shit clav song - you gotta realy RIDE that expression pedal though.Yeas I know the Clavs on the Electro is best to real but this it a great tool.

I hope peeps dont think Im only going to big up the MP6 cause Ive got a few nit-pick up my sleeve I can tell you (James)

It may be common knowledge that its got 256 user memory locations for your custom setups but, BIG plus - you can also extensively edit the individual sounds and save them in thier existing locations - cant re-name them here though.
This feature was added to the MP5 and MP8 in a past OS update.

And then did I mention the Acoustic Pianos? Still tweeking and formulating my opinion on them but so far its looking up.
Posted by: FrankDaddy

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/09/11 10:07 PM

Hey Puff

Enjoyed the post. I do like the Clavs. I bought a Yamaha FP7 expression pedal and did change the setup so I can control the Wah Wah effect. It is pretty cool. I did notice that you can tweak the sounds and save most of the settings. I have not been sucessfull wiring the Switch on the sounds for the leslie. I can do it on the Setups though. What is cool is you can save everything and then reset it back to stock and reload your settings. By the way I did add two tube preamps to my amp setup. It really added another dimension to the Rhodes. I ended up buying the Yamaha Stage Pas 300 and relegating my Peavey KB4 to my Rhodes Piano. But I am still in for much less than just a Yamaha CP5 or CP1. lets keep talking about what we are doing with the MP6. It really is a bargain for what it comes with.
Posted by: Dave Ferris

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/09/11 11:02 PM

Sounds like you are digging the MP6 Puff.

Haven't played it yet, just the MP10 which is out of the question weight wise for me. Will probably get my first listen next Friday at Namm.

It's one of a few I'm considering, wish it was a tad closer to 40 lbs instead of 50, but if I dig it it won't be a deal breaker.

I had the SV-1 88 in the summer for a month but sold it after being unhappy with the lack of sustain on the APs. So in Sept. Korg releases the soundpack 2 which imo makes a night and day difference on the APs, rhodes and wurli. But I monitor the Korg forums and I'm constantly reading about faulty keybed, key noise, startup issues not to mention various other software related bugs. So this has me a bit tentative in getting another SV-1. Love the sound but can't afford to have it screwing up on me.

How do the APs of the MP6 compare with the Korg ? How about the build quality and general feeling of the action ? Solid ? Have you downloaded the new sounds from SP2 on the SV-1 ?

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/10/11 12:14 PM

I know this was directed at Puff but I did a lot of playing on the SV1. The APs are really nice on the SV1. I personally like the ones on the Kawai better. Also unless you load the soundpack 2 you could not split the keyboard. I did not try it with Sound Pak 2. Also there are some settings on the SV1 that cannot be changed unless you are connected to a computer. The Kawai pianos are more ture to what a Kawai Grand piano sounds like than the SV1 APs. But I lke Kawai APs. The MP6 piano samples are samples of Kawai pianos. so they are a little brighter out of the box. So that was a personal preference. The KORG pianos are a little warmer. Again I myself are still Tweaking the MP6 and I am getting them where I feel they are on parity with the KORG. The build quality is better on the Kawai compared to the KORG I used. I did not like the feel of the keyboard. It seemed to move side to side. Also the Kawai can cut through when playing with a band without having to go mono. To address the warmth, I added a tube preamp to my MP6. It really warmed the keyboard up. The DPs I think out of the box were a little better on the KORG. I loved the look of the KORG. Don't try to stack anything on it. The KORG SV1 and the Yamaha CP5 were the three I had decided on. The final factor for me was I could get the Kawai with a Yamaha Stage Pas 300 stereo PA for less than I could get a KORG SV1 and had a bigger sound pallete. The MP6 is a lot of piano for the money.

Sorry could not resist getting my 2 cents in.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/10/11 01:35 PM

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/10/11 06:39 PM

Hi there Dave,

I was hoping you'd look in here as Ive been following your tortured search for a Steinway substitute!
I have got the sound pack V2 loaded in the SV and do like the new APs more
but not more than the MP.
On the MP there are more velocity adjustments and also choices of different pianos. For me the best two types are Concert Grand 1 and 2 and Pop Piano 1 and 3 ( hope youre taking notes here)The Pop variety sounds like my Yamaha U3 and also has a different dynamic to the fuller sounding Concert Grands.
So far I dont rate the Studio and Jazz grand types.Good that Frank says the piano cuts live in sterio. There are also four Mono versions and you can set the outputs to either sterio or two mono of the same signal.

I recently heard quite a good Jazzer in a trio playing the SV73 and it did sound like a piano - dont know what version..Mind you if you have a lot of technique you can play great Jazz on a 61 note Casio with a few broken keys as I have seen Jonathan Gee (great player)do on occasion.Now that was a trade off playability against portability!

Didnt like the SV keybed and that feeling grew.The MP has a solid AND smooth action - like there is some real action in there.I like it more than the Roland RDGX.I guess its like Butter and the Korg is Margarine.
The Korg aint worth it just for the piano sound alone.

The Korg SPack2 improves the Rhodes specialy the bass response alot but the Wurlies still have the anoying velosity jump and are better on the MP with a nice sounding thwack whet you hit those fifths in the bass and which incidently comes over as too much on the video demos but not when youre playing live.
The other korg bug-bears for me are the over the top levels of distortion on the amp sim and reverb settings even on the lowest settings.I wonder if they're running out of hidden secret memory for the next sound up-date!

BTW on the MP when you check it out - of the APs and EPs I think only the first twelve or so sounds are updated from the previous MP5/8 the rest are abit meh. Might not be your bag but the new Tone Wheel emulation sound prety neat too for a freebie.

Look forward to hearing what you think.

Hi Frank, Catch you later.

Edited for fidelity!

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/10/11 08:15 PM

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/10/11 08:39 PM

Yeah, shes the kinda player that could blow on a table top!

Seen that vid - isnt that Orangefunk's board? and isnt that third comment by Rich from Korg US? ;-)

No-I was talking about a casio PRS thing with 61 synth keys!

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/11/11 08:07 PM

I used 2 Tube MP pre-amp from the project series by ART. They cost me about $69US each. I use them on vocal mikes when I record my daughter. makes a difference when using cheap Shure Mikes. But I run them Hi Z and play with the gain until it gets the piano warmed up. I am sure there are better ones but for the money they do work. This helps because I run through a Yamaha Stage Pass 300 and it sounds very accurate but kinda sterile.

see the link below

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pro...eamp?sku=180643

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/11/11 08:19 PM

Something to bear in mind when checkingout the MP6 (Thinking of you Dave Ferris) is to play with the sweepable mid adjustment on the EQ section.

I was a bit dumb in forgeting that you need to alter the MID frequency from flat (0) before the SWEEPABLE MID knob has any effect at all.

So I changed the MID to +4 and the sweep from 1000 to say 1400 and it made quite a difference to the Studio Grand sound which before I found a bit honkey in the mids.Nice! and the adjustments for the live player are so simple and immediate with this interface.
So Dave forget what I said before about my fave APs. BTW the main grand sound is named Concert not 'Classical'.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/11/11 08:56 PM

Frank,

Im pretty dam stoked about the playability of this 'ere board mate.heart Just had a bit of a jam with a mate on his Strat.

Sound wise Im putting it through a pair of Behringer Truth B2031 monitors.
I guess the two ART preamps youre using are mono units(?) and need these cause the Yammy PA has horns not tweeters?
I have some Opera 415 15ins powered speakers in my workshop
as my 'sterio'!These I rent out to a friends Soul band so theyre allready half payed for(mostly get second hand gear anyway)Also got a Behringer Ultragain tube preamp so if a gigging is in my future im all set.

What did you mean about wiring up the leslie? Is that to change polarit on a switch pedal?

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/11/11 10:18 PM

Dave, Actually reducing the MIDs on some piano sounds makes them more to my taste as well - depends on the original qualities of the sound So take my pronouncements with a pinch of sodium carbonate!

One other thing though - on the Rolands some of the piano designer features I regarded as a bit of a gimmic but the KEYOFF noise on the MPis sonicly groovy. Whilst playing accented fiths in the bass a la Tyner - push it up to taste!

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/12/11 01:01 AM

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/12/11 08:02 AM

Sorry

I am a programmer by trade. So I tend to use "wired up" in different ways. I mean I set the the organ setups so that the slow fast effect is controlled by the floorswitch. It does not by default. I used two preamps since I wanted to keep the stereo sound. One for the left and one for the right. You are right about the PA. It does have horns for tweeters and can sound harsh. That is the advantage of studio monitors. the sound is not as sharp. But they are designed for near field as opposed to a pa. I just don't have the space (or money) for both storing a PA and studio monitors. Since i needed the preamps for recording my daughter's vocals, buying two made sense. I hope this helps.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/12/11 03:25 PM

Frank,

Why do you do that? Im a picture framer but I dont confuse brass picture wire with softwae routing. ;-)

Hey,do you know if thr Amp Sim on/off can be controlled by footswitch too?

KAWAI James,
Howdie! - if you look in here...

The Panel lock switch can be set to any of about seven functions but defaults back to Pannel Lock when you change setups.

Do you think it would be possible to have it as chosen per setup when there is next a new opperating systen upgrade???

Just a minor niggle...
Posted by: rnaple

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/12/11 03:47 PM

You people seem to really know what you're doing. I need to ask if the MP6 will cut it with this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6KYjytwr1w
Or would I need to step up to an MP10 to do it the way it deserves to be played?
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/12/11 04:34 PM

Quote:
KAWAI James,
Howdie! - if you look in here...

Good morning!

Quote:
The Panel lock switch can be set to any of about seven functions but defaults back to Pannel Lock when you change setups.

Do you think it would be possible to have it as chosen per setup when there is next a new opperating systen upgrade???

Well, I can't promise anything, but I'll certainly mention it to the engineers as something to consider for a future software update.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/12/11 04:42 PM

rnaple, while the MP6 will certainly allow you to play 'River Flows In You' very nicely, the MP10 with it's wooden-key action and superior UPHI sampling technology will offer greater control over the pianissimo passages of the piece.

Of course, Edward's RX grand piano would be even better yet!

Cheers,
James
x

Posted by: rnaple

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/12/11 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
... very nicely,...

Gee....very nicely just doesn't cut it. This is the kind of piano to obsess over. Must be about ten different levels of softness in it. It displays the naked beauty of the sound of a piano.
Thank you.
My pocket book doesn't. sick

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/12/11 09:46 PM

James,

Just tell those engineers theyve done a damm fine job on the MP6 - the function I was asking for allready exists grin

Im a jerk! You CAN sve the Pannel Button setting per setup!

Ive got more OS requests up my sleve though.

As well as a request to stop putting links to SLUSHY piano music in my thread!

Cheers.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/16/11 12:36 PM

According to page 93 in the manual I could not find a way to turn the prepamp off and on with the foot controller switch. Being a prgrammer by trade that does not mean it can be done. I am playing with it now to see if can figure out how to do it. I will keep you informed.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/16/11 09:05 PM

You need to FIRST press and hold the 'pannel' lock button - chose Amp Simmulator then (in the Common settings)set foot controller to SW (Its the last CC number in the list - before 0) Then save this to the chosen EP sound.

You dont even have to save it to a setup. Brilliant! (The MP6 I mean -not me!)

Editted as ever for typogadic illiteriavy
Posted by: Qbert

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 10:19 AM

Hope I can park my question here!

I read the MP6 user guide deeply but I couldn't find any reference to half-pedal feature. Both foot controls (DAMPER and FOOT SW) look to be simple foot switches. Is it so?

Thx in advance

EDIT: I found half-damper note on Kaway MP6 web page. Strange it's not referenced on the user manual....
Posted by: Scooby Hoo

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 12:47 PM

I, too, have a question about the pedaling on the MP6.

Is it possible to implement a three pedal (or double pedal) on the MP6? Can the Roland RPU-3 or Kawai F-20 be made to work as a soft and sustaining pedal?

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 03:02 PM

You are simply brilliant. I do not know what I was thinking. That is how I setup the rotary speaker and it is an effect. My problem I had was once you power it down it went away. Since I use the rotary only for organ, I saved it for those setups.

Typical software developer. I made it harder than it should be

Peace
Posted by: Qbert

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 03:03 PM

Yes, F-20 is supported. Don't know about Roland one.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 03:09 PM

I just emailed my contacts at Kawai about that question. I know you can use the Kawai Double pedal. There is always a polarity issue going from on brand to another. I will respond when they do.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: FrankDaddy
I just emailed my contacts at Kawai about that question. I know you can use the Kawai Double pedal. There is always a polarity issue going from on brand to another. I will respond when they do.

Thanks, FD. You're efforts to untangle the pedaling options are appreciated.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 07:35 PM

The MP6 has three jacks for ; Foot Switch , Damper , and Expression Pedal.
(Foot and Expression can can be programed to diferent CC functions too.With the F-20 double unit plugged in the damper jack you can change the left pedal of this unit to either Soft or Sost)

So if f you want three pedals to work as a soft/sost/sustain setup with the MP6 get the Kawai double pedal and another momentory pedal in the Foot switch jack some gaffer tape or velcro and youre ready to rock 'n'roll.

The roland unit has three jacks attatched to it-I recon it would only work with a Roland board.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 10:37 PM

Tom Love from Kawai said the dual pedal Kawai unit is compatible. you can assign the left petal as the soft pedal. Puff is right about you can then use a "standard" sustain pedal. they make them that are universal. they come with a polarity switch that you set so it will lift the dampers when depressed. I bought one at Best Buy for about $19.00 US. Tom did not recommend the Roland since only two pedals from the Kawai Pedal jack will work. Also there may be a polarity issue. Setting the control switch to 66 will allow the use of a sosanuto petal. According to their web site is the following statement about the footswitch.

Here is theURL

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/PRO_2010/mp6-info.html

Pedals
Included with the MP6 is the F10H damper (with half-dampering) pedal . The F20 damper (with half-dampering) and soft pedal assembly is available as an option.

So It sounds like it would allow you to have a soft pedel and a sosonuto pedel.

BTW to be on the safe sidfe I am double looping with Kawai on this. Sine the manaul does not totally agree with this.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/17/11 11:37 PM

FrankDaddy,

As Tom Love has confirmed, the F-20 dual-pedal unit is compatible with the MP6.

Here's an extract from page p.13 of the MP6 owner's manual:

Quote:
6. FOOT SWITCH
A momentary Foot Switch can be connected to this jack (EX: KAWAI F-1 or F-20). The Foot Switch can be assigned to different MIDI control numbers or functions in the Menu. When using the KAWAI F-20, the right pedal works as a Foot Switch, and the left pedal works as a Soft pedal. When the Rotary EFX is in use, the Soft pedal changes between Fast & Slow Rotor speeds.

Essentially, the MP5/MP8II and MP6/MP10 all offer largely the same pedal functionality, however the connection method is slightly different:

The MP5/MP6 include the F-10H single-pedal unit (damper), however the F-20 accessory can be added for triple-pedal functionality (soft, sostenuto, sustain).

The MP8II/MP10 include the F-20 double-pedal (damper, soft), however an additional pedal (F-10H, F-1, or any other brand/unit provided the polarity is correct) can be added for triple-pedal functionality (soft, sostenuto, sustain).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/18/11 09:11 AM

Thanks James for the clarification.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/18/11 02:03 PM

I second the thanks to K_James and FD.

Can the F20 be purchased directly from Kawai or Sweetwater?

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/18/11 08:15 PM

Scooby Hoo, Sweetwater does not appear to list the F-20 on their website, however it may still be worth calling/emailing for clarification - it may simply be a special order.

Alternatively, contact Kawai America and ask for details regarding availability.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/18/11 10:50 PM

I found it at the following url

http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_f20.htm

Scooby Hoo are you in the US?

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/18/11 11:42 PM

Yes. Fellow Southerner.

I found a U.S. retailer listing the F-20 F-20 Pedal , but I'll try KJ's suggestion first.

I tried the RD-700NX and the CN-33 and CA-63 recently, as well as a few others. Each had their strengths, but I feel comfortable that the MP-6 will be the best choice for me.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/22/11 09:24 PM

Im going to mail Michael Kunz at Kawai germany to request some thing for the next Operating Sytem update.

I found out on the Kawai.de site that they will release a new OS to iron out a bug that stops the MP6 woking mutitimbraly with a computer sequencer which they are aware of and maybe other things.

Anyway if other users agree with this request they could also mail Michael at; *deleted by moderator*
At the moment the touch can only be set Globaly in the System menu.It would be good if you could save the touch setting to a set-up.This can be offset under 'Dynamics' but only in one direction ie to make it 'lighter' in ten increments.Tis seems to affect the initial attacck but as this is increased the dynamic range is reduced so its not the same as having a different touch setting.

Realy I want a 'Heavy' touch for the APs and a 'normal'or 'light' touch for the EPs

The 'Pannel Lock' button can be programed to change the touch from default to OFF (for Organ) so perhapse this could have a setting to change the default to heavy of light? I would gladly loose some of the existing settings here like Mod Wheel lock or especially Pannel Lock - who needs those?

Or could the 'Dynamics settimg could be made to go from -0 to -10 ...?

The best thing would be to simply be able to save whatever setting you chose to a setup but if thats not pos some workaround.

Do you agree with this Frank?

James do you understant the functionality of the MP6?

Posted by: msaposs

MP6 Classic EP noise? - 01/22/11 10:28 PM

I love the Classic EP sound, but does anyone else find it a bit noisy? Some (but not all) of the noise goes away when I turn off the amp simulator, but then I hear a bit of a high-pitched click.

Of course, this is through headphones, the noise or click isn't as noticeable through my amp. I just find that the noise will be a problem when I want to record.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/22/11 11:39 PM

puff, may I please ask you to refrain from writing the private email address of Kawai employees on a public forum. If individuals wish to get in touch with staff at Kawai Europe, they should do so by sending an email to one of the addresses on this page.

Originally Posted By: puff
James do you understant the functionality of the MP6?

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question. Which functionality are you referring to, specifically?

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/23/11 08:15 PM

Well I thought I was listing his work addy not his private e-mail address.Its not something I thought was private as one can mail him to that addy from the german site as I did.
I dont understand the heirarchy of Kawai but Michael seems to be directly involved in the technical aspects of Kawai products and OS revisions.

The link you provided is for Kawai UK - are you saying that a mail sent there would reach him?

I meant are you familiar with using the MP6 in real time use - in setting up sounds to work with different settings to bring out particular characteristics of those sounds and make them more playable and expressive?
In other words do you understand my request for additional programability of the touch setting?

Im not asking for 100 degrees of touch like in the Roland boards but just the abillity to save another touch curve - other than the global one to a setup.It would make the this board more complete as I see it.

Re: MP6 Classic EP noise? - 01/23/11 08:28 PM

The click as you call it is part of the sound of the tine being hit - it just dose not have much bell like sound and I much prefer it as it is - I dont see it as noise.

I havnt got around to experimenting with layering different EPs yet but I think that would be one the routes to take in arriving at a variety of timbres.

You could use up to four EP sounds velocity switched and at different volumes...

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/23/11 08:50 PM

Hello puff,

I dont understand the heirarchy of Kawai but Michael seems to be directly involved in the technical aspects of Kawai products and OS revisions.

Michael Kunz is a Senior Product Manager at Kawai Europe and as such has a strong involvement in the technical development of all digital instruments - including the MP series.

The link you provided is for Kawai UK - are you saying that a mail sent there would reach him?

If you send an MP6 bug report or feature suggestion to Kawai UK, I believe it will be forwarded to Kawai Europe, yes.

Do you understand my request for additional programability of the touch setting?

Yes, I believe so - you're requesting the ability to store different touch settings for each SETUP, correct? While this sounds like a worthwhile feature suggestion, it should be stressed that implementing new features or making changes to existing functionality can be a complicated and time consuming process. There is absolutely no guarantee that every single feature request can/will be implemented with new software updates.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted by: JFP

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/26/11 08:07 AM

MP6 Unpacking and some questions for other MP6 owners.

So, I finally pulled the trigger on the MP6. Wanted the MP10, but was hold back by the current 'problems' several units have shown and didn't want to spend € 700 more on a unit I still have not been able to see in real live anywhere near. MP6 was more of a sure bet (although I haven't seen it either). Thomann had one last discount unit in stock before they ran out and since I finally decided for the MP6 I didn't want to wait any longer for new stock. Perhaps stupid me ??! Transport had some heavy impact; the box was damaged and even internal protective foam was broken in several places. I hope an MP6 can handle such abuse...see my pictures:

http://www.plaxo.com/profile/viewPhotosI...ee90298d7ee4886

Few questions to check if my unit is still OK:

1) does the MP6 make a lot of power hum ? I can hear the humming (50/60Hz power supply hum) very clearly untill the other side of the room. Even with headphones it's still audible through my playing - when not playing ff- fff of course.

2) does the MP6 series show a gap between the right side of the unit and the fake-wooden side panel ? On the left side of my unit there is no such a gap, but on the right side it's quite obvious.

3) Does the keybed make a lot of some thumping noise ? I went for the Kawai partly because the Rolands have this annoying thumping , only to find out my unit makes quite some noise too. And some sort of very light squeaking sound when pressing the keys - sounds as if it's guided by some sort of oil bath, or a mini-mouse in each key ;- ).

General questions:
4) Is the second pedal input (switch) half-damping capable, or only in/off switching. I have a Roland pedal (supporting half-damping) and wanted to use it as second piano pedal.

5) If I opt for the F-20 - does it come with just one plug (connecting to the damper pedal input) ? I assume so, but want to be sure...

Any thoughts on (especially) the power humming and keybed are welcome. I have to decide what to do with this unit.

All said, I very much like the MP6 (!) - it's a lot of bang for the bucks and the keybed feel is excellent. I have some firmware request already, but that's for a later stadium ;-)

J

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/26/11 06:50 PM

Hi JP,

1 Ive got no audible hum comming from the transformer at all.

2 My end cheeks are tight against the plastic spacers at each end of the keybed the only 'gap' is between the cheeks and the front metal rail.Two mm left and One/half mm on the right.Its a stage piano not a swiss watch!

3 You got ma a bit worried there! I just checked and noticed an octave B-B below mid C was giving a clunk sound.I had removed the four rubber feet and put the rear two back loosley to tip the board forwards.So I lifted the board and the clunk stopped and when I put it 'flat' the keys played as they should.So not a real problem. I love this keybed!

4 I guess the Roland Pedal would work as a switch pluged in the 'Swith' socket but not as a half ped.

5The F20 has only one jack.In the menu you can select sost or soft for the left hand ped.

Id be very interested in your firmware ideas.
You could also PM me and I if I assess you as having no mall-intent I may let you have the secret address of Kawai Europe,s product manager wink

I was lucky on my second MP6 2hearts

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/26/11 08:40 PM

Hello JFP,

First off, congrats on receiving your MP6!

Unfortunately I am unable to view the images you have uploaded.

With regards to your questions:

1. I have never heard any 50/60Hz power hum while playing an MP6.

2. The side panels are real wood.

3. The keybed should not make a great deal of noise when playing.
Are you able to play-test the actions of other instruments (Yamaha, Roland, Kawai) to compare?

4. I believe it's just an on/off footswitch connector, but will double-check.

5. Yes, the F-20 pedal unit uses a single jack.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/27/11 03:19 PM

James,
Nice of you to answer but wasnt that post was a bit redundant? smirk

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/27/11 04:12 PM

They probably crossed - it happens...

However I send James a PM with the 'nice' pics of my mistreated shipment. As far as the hum is concerned; I hear it even through my headphones (acoustically - no hum in the headphone wiring I mean). So I assume it's just my unit that has this excessive humming. If none of you guys notice it - it could be it had just one shock to many and things may have moved a little in the machine and make contact to the casing where it previously didn't (causing acoustic amplification of the signal). Just a guess...

Had a Korg's and Kurzweils in the past that went humming later in their lifetime, but that was mostly due to the degrading, or cheap LCD displays.

Apart from all that, my overall impression is that the MP6 is a very nice instrument; seems hard to fine anything else competitive in that price range. I'll dig into the machine later on - first have to sort out what to do with this particular unit.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/27/11 04:42 PM

James,
Nice of you to answer but wasnt that post was a bit redundant? smirk

No, I don't believe so - the second point was important.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/27/11 05:06 PM

Yep, I almost forgot - real wood ! So if you get the MP10 it's double fun - wooden keys, wooden side panel...now only wooden casing and we're done. Wonder what would happen to the weight if casings are made out a Bamboo ;-) Perhaps in the future...

I like the side panel look. Much better than plane metal.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/28/11 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: myself
4. I believe it's just an on/off footswitch connector, but will double-check.

The chaps in the engineering division have confirmed that the FOOT SW connector will only accept an on/off foot switch, and therefore does not respond to half-pedalling.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/28/11 05:57 AM

Hi James, that's very interesting, because the MP6 manual suggest you connect the F-20 (double pedal) to this switch port. It implies that your double pedal unit will than NOT be half-damping capable ! Am I correct in stating this ?!

What I understand now is:
1) You connect the F-10H to the damper port of the MP6. It will be half damping capable in that way.
2) You connect the (optional) F-20 to the switch port. Although the descriptions on the Kawai website suggest the F-20 is half damping capable, in the way you're supposed to connect it , it is not. Perhaps the switch port on an MP10 is continues and the version on the MP6 is not - I don't know...

So, could it be that the F-20 that is supplied with the MP10 (and should be half-damping) is connected to another port on the MP10 and/or that the F-20 supplied with the MP10 is perhaps of another revision (F-20H, I suppose) ?

Can you please clarify this matter for all of us ? Perhaps the manual needs a revision on this subject as well, since I guess you should in fact connect the F-20 to the damper port - but I'm not sure.

Thanks, J
Posted by: cubop

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/28/11 02:26 PM

The MP6 was delivered at my door a couple of hours ago. No problems so far! I was pretty nervous when I unpacked it. Some bad reports here, and I could not try it before I ordered. There was no need to worry, everything I have tried works perfectly. There is some noise from the keys, but but after some playing I dont notice it. Absolutely acceptable to my oversensitive ears. I have it connected to a pair of Peavey 150 W amps, and the only thing I hear is the very nice sound of concert grand 2, my favorite piano.
I have never played an acoustic piano, and the only thing I can can compare the MP6 to is my Korg Triton LE88. The action is just a little bit harder and that suits me fine, and the action is firmer and more precise. The only thing I am not satisfied with is the sound of the five or six highest tones. A bit of experimenting with the EQ have helped, but I have to spend more time on that problem.
But everything considered, this is a very satisfied customer.
cubop

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/28/11 04:47 PM

Hi Cubop, happy you're happy with it ;-)

It's not the MP6 I'm complaining about at all - it's just that I think it has some small , but annoying flaws probably due to heavy transport handling. Now that I had some more time, I start to find the power humming to get on my nerves. You know , the sigh of relief when you switch it off and this soft, but obviously present hum noise is gone. I also noticed now that a button is broken or damaged. So I'll probably send it back for a replacement (new unit) - or perhaps even MP10 (if those new ones are fixed). Will be a though fight with the dealer, but we'll see we're it ends.

The MP6 as it is , is really a great instrument. Haven't dug into it very much yet, but I can see it perfectly fulfills the purpose it's made for. A good , solid , beautiful, all-round stage piano, with decent sound and very good keybed. Of course, there exist better AP's and other sounds, but than you'll spend at least twice as much and most probably end up with a less all-round machine.

Enjoy your instrument and keep us posted with your findings (or questions). Oh, I found out that the Footswitch input does handle continuous control data (half damping), sent through the USB MIDI port. Don't know if the Kawai MP does anything useful with it, but nevertheless...

J

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/28/11 05:56 PM

I forgot; considering my ongoing doubts about the specific shipment I got, what should be in carton ? What my box contianed ( exactly) was:

Mp6, f10h, Music stand. That's All ! No manual, no single paper from Kawai ( warranty, contact info etc) , nothing. what did you have in the box if I may ask ? Thanks...

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/28/11 07:47 PM

JFP,

Originally Posted By: JFP
the MP6 manual suggest you connect the F-20 (double pedal) to this switch port.

Correct. The F-20 pedal unit connects to the FOOT SW jack and provides two on/off switch pedals, which by default are assigned to Soft and Sostenuto. The F-10H pedal unit connects to the DAMPER (F-10H) jack and functions as a Sustain/Damper pedal with half-pedalling functionality.

It implies that your double pedal unit will than NOT be half-damping capable !

The F-20 functions as a half-pedal when used with the MP10, but not when used with the MP6. This is because the pedal jacks of the two instruments are arranged differently.

What I understand now is:
1) You connect the F-10H to the damper port of the MP6. It will be half damping capable in that way.

Correct.

2) You connect the (optional) F-20 to the switch port.

Correct.

Perhaps the switch port on an MP10 is continues and the version on the MP6 is not...

The MP10's DAMPER pedal jack is designed to use the included F-20, while the MP6's DAMPER pedal jack is designed to use the included F-10H.

So, could it be that the F-20 that is supplied with the MP10 (and should be half-damping) is connected to another port on the MP10

No, the F-20 still connects to the MP10's DAMPER pedal jack. As stated above, the MP10 and MP6 pedal jacks are arranged differently.

and/or that the F-20 supplied with the MP10 is perhaps of another revision (F-20H, I suppose) ?

No, it's the same F-20 pedal unit.

Perhaps the manual needs a revision on this subject as well...

No, I don't believe so - the MP6 manual is correct. A little difficult to read, maybe, but correct nonetheless.

...since I guess you should in fact connect the F-20 to the damper port

No, on the MP6 you connect the included F-10H damper pedal to the DAMPER jack, and the optional F-20 dual pedal to the FOOT SW jack.

I hope this helps to clarify things.

Please note that I am recalling this information from memory. I believe everything written above is correct, but will have to double-check my colleagues' explanation emails at the office on Monday morning.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/28/11 08:21 PM

I forgot; considering my ongoing doubts about the specific shipment I got, what should be in carton ? What my box contianed ( exactly) was:

Mp6, f10h, Music stand. That's All ! No manual, no single paper from Kawai ( warranty, contact info etc),

I believe Kawai digital piano instruments sold within mainland Europe (except the UK) should include printed owner's manuals in English, German, French, Spanish, and Italian.

Kawai digital piano instruments shipped to predominantly English-speaking territories (UK, US, Australasia) include a printed owner's manual in English only.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/29/11 04:47 AM

Hi James,

many thanks for all the elaborate replies. It's been of great help to clarify things for me. As far as my mistreated unit is concerned ; I'll try to get a replacement and with perhaps a tiny chance that I upgrade to mp10 in one run. Not sure about that yet, hope to get things sorted out this monday...

J

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/29/11 06:05 AM

No problem JFP, happy to help.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/29/11 09:11 AM

Perhaps, and since I miss my printed manual I'm forced to go back-and forth between the downloaded PDF and my MP6, which I don't like - I prefer print , so I can refrain from looking at my computer screen and concentrate on the instrument/music ;-)

I have hooked up my EV5 Roland to the expression port. It seems to generate values from roughly 25 - 127 with the MP6. For some reason it doesn't go lower than that (no going down to zero value). Hooked it up to another MIDI board; there it does go from 0 - 127. Have to look into that later on...

I also hooked up a Roland continuous damper pedal to the Foot switch port. The MP6 sends out all the continuous data over USB (MIDI) without problems. It even has a smoother , higher resolution curve than the F10H on the damper port. So the switch port itself and the processing of the MP6 does indeed seem to handle continuous (and so half-pedal) data. Haven't had time to figure out if the MP6 can use that data for it's internal engine, but I'll dive into that later on.

Cheers, J
Posted by: cubop

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/29/11 01:11 PM

Hi JFP.
My MP6 came with music stand, power cord, user manual and a very solid pianotype foot pedal. The hum on my amps are louder than than on the MP6, and I cannot here either no matter how soft i play.
After some more playing I have discovered that I have a board with State of the Art keybed and touch. Acoustic piano players can disagree to their hearts content. They play a very different instrument, and comparisons with DPs is not very interesting to me as a keyboard player. I have played more than half a dozen keyboards, and several other instruments, so I might know what I am talking about. Kawai has definitely managed to make a very good DP at a very nice price.
cubop

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/29/11 05:21 PM

JFP, may I suggest you contact the retailer / Kawai Europe to request they send a printed owner's manual.

Regarding the range of the EXP pedal, the MIDI Implementation chapter in the MP6 owner's manual lists values of 0-127, so the full range should be possible. Please check that the resistance knob on the side of the EV-5 expression pedal hasn't been reduced/increased.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: thomsurf

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/31/11 12:05 PM

Cool to see that there's a decay knob on the MP6. Has any of you owners experimented with it? Does it sound natural when you tweak it to a long rate?
Thnx.

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 01/31/11 08:02 PM

No!

But the dlay knob does cool

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 02/04/11 03:47 AM

So...my MP6 will go back and I will order a brand new....MP6 ! Or should I upgrade to the MP10. Apart from the wooden keybed, I'm trying to figure out what differences there are in the sound and in the EFX section, especially the AP/EP sounds. Organs and the rest don't interest me - my laptop will take care of that when needed.

So far from the BDSD files it seems the MP10 has longer loop samples than the PHI CL33 (there's no MP6 review yet, but I assume it's the same ?). Furthermore, there is talk that the MP10 should have more velocity layers as a source for the UHPI processing (8 instead of 4 with PHI). Third addition is some key-off / damper off effects, that the MP6 doesn't have - but in my opinion the basic sampled sound (longer loops / more layers) will be more important than such additional small effect tones. Although it adds a little to the overall realism.

Is there anything else I'm missing that makes the AP section much better than on the MP6. I ask this , because as it seems the basic sample set is the same on both instruments - so will the small extra details improve the sound to the level of € 800 more in investment, or are the improvements there , but not in a night and day difference. In that case it would leave the RM3 + some better EP's and EFX's as main arguments - but I shouldn't buy it then expecting too much change in the AP section...and be disappointed.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks J
Posted by: Hemppa

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 02/04/11 07:41 AM

I'm in the same situation. The price of MP10 raised quite a lot, didn't it? At least I see a 223€ price increase at Thomann. There are XLR outs and double pedal as differences as well, and 10kg of course. Main concern is the amount of broken units as well as the possible spacing issues of wooden keys. It's unfortunate that there isn't better decriptions of the innards, other than "ultra".

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 02/04/11 08:42 AM

Ultra to me it seems , means the same basic sample set, but as mentioned with more velocity layers (8?), longer loop samples and some additional sound-tweaking like let-off / damper noises. As far as I can see, that's it. Meaning the basic sound should in fact be very similar and the differences are only in the details. Is that noticeable enough to 'upgrade' from the MP6 - if you leave out the other advantages like better hardware and some additional EFX sounds. That's my dilemma.

Not all MP10's are broken by the way - only a small percentage. Of course , you will hear more of broken units on internet fora than perfect units. That's only logical - it's how it usually works...

Still Kawai has some work to do in sorting out the problems that have occurred, like with the Curt88 batch. If they have found the problem and have a fix for it, I would suggest Kawai post that info the sooner the better ! In that way , potential MP10 buyers won't be hold back and can continue their purchase without further doubts...
Posted by: Ewen

Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. - 05/24/13 12:11 PM

I realise some time has passed since this thread started; I just joined the forum.The MP6 manual shows that the FOOT SW socket can accept either a single pedal(F-1) on a mono jack, or a double pedal(F-20) on a TRS jack. I have wired up a Y-cable with a TRS plug and two mono jack sockets, 1 wired to the tip and sleeve, the other wired to ring and sleeve. I have a footswitch on the ring connection which I use as soft pedal and Leslie speed changer. I have not bothered yet with the other socket. The switch needs to be press to BREAK.