Garage Band now on iPad

Posted by: ChrisA

Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 02:25 PM

As I write the Apple is demo'ing their new iPad running a new version of Garage Band. I think this is the one we've been waiting for. It does eight track recording and editing like most DAWs, Runs software virtual instruments, a guitar amp modeler and a bunch more, because it has touch screen allows you to play drums, guitar or keys right on the glass surface. Editing is slightly more intuitive because you can move notes, bars and other objects with fingers rather then mouse. The entire device fits on a piano's music rest. The new device is much thinner so it really would fit there.

It's a new category of device for musicians, lets you have most of what a computer can do but none of the hassle of setting things up and none of the space problem that even a small notebook has.

I don't think recording engineers will be giving up Pro Tools or Logic for this but at $499 a lot of musicians who might otherwise have bought a notebook might go for this. Most home users will never need more then 8 tracks

I've never liked having a computer and piano together because there is not a good place for the computer keyboard and mouse. The ergonomics is bad. This removes the problem by having fingers on screen controls, you scroll the page with a to finger swipe.

Of course I've not seen this up close yet. But the idea of moving the function one would have used a computer for into a small hand held device has lots of potential and in years to come will likely be the way must of us work
Posted by: jens4711

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 02:49 PM

Yeah, it did look great.

Add the Line 6 Midi Mobilizer, and you could attach a MIDI keyboard, and have a really light setup.

I hope Pianoteq will release a version of Pianoteq PLAY soon....
Posted by: BazC

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 02:53 PM

Yes it looks great, can't wait to have a play with one of these, twice the power for the same price too so they're much better value. I would think this version would be fast enough for Pianoteq or Truepianos too. I wonder how long before we see a serious Piano app on iPad.

This a sweet midi interface for iPad

Alsesis i/o dock
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jens4711
Add the Line 6 Midi Mobilizer, and you could attach a MIDI keyboard, and have a really light setup.

I would not assume that the Line 6 piece will be compatible with this. As I understand it, apps need to be specifically written for the Midi Mobilizer, and I would be surprised if Apple built in that support. But I'm sure Line 6 will try to get their piece to work with Garageband if they can.

It is more likely that GB will work with the standard Apple Core MIDI framework that was added to IOS 4.2 which I've read works with "MIDI over USB" via the iPad Camera Connection Kit, and a USB MIDI interface to get the 5-pin DIN connectors. The Line6 approach has the extra advantage of working on an iphone or ipod Touch, but it looks like Garageband won't work on those anyway...

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BazC
...twice the power for the same price too so they're much better value. I would think this version would be fast enough for Pianoteq or Truepianos too...

I'm almost certain that the iPad has a far more powerful processor it it them 99% of the DPs on the market and certanly 10X the memory.

But it's also got wireless networking. So in theory you could have the iPad on the music rest and a rack of 12-core Mac Pro computers hidden in a closet doing the number crunching. No, not far fetched. Apple's Logic already works like that, you can off load processing to any other networked computer. Garage Band and Logic share the same basic audio/midi engine. It's more a matter of if they exposed the feature to the user or not.

Before the demo they said the real purpose of doing this application was to raise the bar so that other developers would have to follow. Maybe Pianoteq can't but some other company for sure will step up. I'd expect NI and a few others will be there first
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info ChrisA - the specs and pricing of the new iPad look very impressive.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: Edtek

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 04:58 PM

ChrisA,

Here's a pix showing how I mounted a sliding shelf under my Celviano to hold the mac kb and mouse.

The shelf slides under the piano kb and out of sight when playing the piano.

Ed

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 05:01 PM

Nice setup. wink

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Edtek
ChrisA,

Here's a pix showing how I mounted a sliding shelf under my Celviano to hold the mac kb and mouse.

The wireless connected keyboard and mouse makes for a clean installation. I've always thought the Mini is better suited for this than a notebook computer.

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
But it's also got wireless networking. So in theory you could have the iPad on the music rest and a rack of 12-core Mac Pro computers hidden in a closet doing the number crunching. No, not far fetched. Apple's Logic already works like that, you can off load processing to any other networked computer. Garage Band and Logic share the same basic audio/midi engine.

Interesting, I didn't know Logic could do that, thanks for the info Chris.

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 09:37 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't know Logic could do that, thanks for the info Chris.

The way it works is "Audio Units", can be network connected and run on the remote machine. "Audio Units" are Apple's name for a plug-in. These can be effects like a reverb or software instruments like Ivory or Pianoteq.

The feature may not be needed so much today because now you can run dozens of AUs on one computer. Those Mac Pros have 12-core Xeons inside I can't imagine needing several of them strapped together.
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/02/11 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Edtek
ChrisA,

The shelf slides under the piano kb and out of sight when playing the piano.

Ed

Looks nice, but don't your knees bump into the shelf?
Posted by: suniil

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/03/11 04:50 AM

few points to note here (from an ipad user since launch and IOS developer from early days of iphone SDK)

a. Core MIDI based apps are the way move forward and not Line 6
b. iPad 1 supports GarageBand and the processor is good enough to run Garageband.
3. New price of iPad 1 makes it a bargain device.

iConnectMIDI appears to be very good for IOS users (musicians) http://www.iconnectmidi.com/

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/03/11 05:08 AM

iConnect looks very cool! How do you know that iPad 1 will run Garageband though?

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/03/11 05:19 AM

BazC, I believe one of the developers confirmed this point on twitter.

James
x

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/03/11 05:25 AM

OK thanks James!

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/03/11 05:25 AM

Yes, James is right. Also many of the early documentation has reference to it. Other than iMovie most of the apps should work on iPad 1. £100 off is bargain price (or lower if you keep an eye on popular UK gadget forums - already saw many for £230ish for mint condition iPad1)

How do you know that iPad 1 will run Garageband though?

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/03/11 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Originally Posted By: jens4711

I would not assume that the Line 6 piece will be compatible with this. As I understand it, apps need to be specifically written for the Midi Mobilizer, and I would be surprised if Apple built in that support.
Unfortunately for me, I am sure you are right.

I bought the Midi Mobilizer for my iPhone last year, and I have had some fun with it, but I can see now that is not the way to go, unless they find some way to make it work with core Midi. frown
Posted by: Edtek

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/03/11 01:37 PM

@melodiaworks: There's no problem with knee clearance. The shelf is placed back from the front of the kb far enough that it's completely out of sight and well clear of my knees when it's recessed. I selected long throw and shallow (2") shelf arms and spent some time on my back measuring and trying out different locations to ensure there would be no problem.

Ed

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/10/11 05:53 AM

Apple confirmed that Garageband is compatible with iPad (first version), also they released a preview video. Now all we need is to find out whether it is compatible with digital pianos via midi / camera kit

Posted by: nutmac

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/10/11 06:39 PM

I can confirm that GarageBand for iPad supports USB MIDI keyboards. All you need is iPad Camera Connection kit to connect USB MIDI keyboard (such as Casio PX-130) to iPad.

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/11/11 08:38 AM

I've tested the following devices and able to confirm the compatibility.

a. Blue Yeti USB mic (with a USB hub)
b. Roland Supernatural FP7F
c. Casio Privia PX130 & AP200

There are some bugs with virtual instruments in Garageband, touch sensitivity in particular.
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/11/11 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: nutmac
I can confirm that GarageBand for iPad supports USB MIDI keyboards. All you need is iPad Camera Connection kit to connect USB MIDI keyboard (such as Casio PX-130) to iPad.

What about something like a Akai LPK25 or Korg Nano - something that takes power from the USB interface? This would be interesting to me for travel away from home.

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/12/11 11:19 AM

You may have to to connect it via a battery powered USB hub. In some cases all you need USB hub that can absorb initial voltage surge

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

What about something like a Akai LPK25 or Korg Nano - something that takes power from the USB interface? This would be interesting to me for travel away from home.
Posted by: drutgat

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/13/11 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: suniil
Apple confirmed that Garageband is compatible with iPad (first version), also they released a preview video. Now all we need is to find out whether it is compatible with digital pianos via midi / camera kit

This is amazing stuff.

It's interesting that the iPad version of GarageBand is limited to 8 tracks of recording.

Also, the sky will be the limit when vocal recording is possible.

Does anyone know if one could export a GB song (including vocals) to the iPad from one's computer?

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/14/11 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: drutgat

It already is, IKmultimedia produce a mic designed for use with iPad/Pod/Phone
iRig Mic and I would think any USB mic would work via the camera adapter.

Garageband file are transferable from iPad to Mac so I would guess it would work the other way round provided there are less than 8 tracks.
Posted by: drutgat

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/14/11 11:18 PM

It already is, IKmultimedia produce a mic designed for use with iPad/Pod/Phone
iRig Mic and I would think any USB mic would work via the camera adapter.

Garageband file are transferable from iPad to Mac so I would guess it would work the other way round provided there are less than 8 tracks.

Hi BazC,
Thanks for the reply.

Given the availability of the iRigmic, what would your guess be about why they wouldn't include the ability to record vocals in the advertising video?
Posted by: PianoMath

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/14/11 11:27 PM

Looks like good
Posted by: SoundThumb

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/15/11 01:16 AM

Garageband on iPad does have ability to record audio with the built in microphone. I guess the question is can it currently get the audio from something connected to the docking connector. If so, I haven't found it yet.
Posted by: Siriosys

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/15/11 05:23 AM

"Also, the sky will be the limit when vocal recording is possible"

Does anyone know if one could export a GB song (including vocals) to the iPad from one's computer?[/quote]

......this looks like it's gonna be quite nice. If there other stuff is anything to go by, it's recording quality should be top notch.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mike.php

......and here's their guitar thingy...

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/15/11 10:19 AM

Please see my posting few posts above for compatible devices I've tested with which also includes Blue Yeti Mic. It is such a shame that Apogee One doesn't like to work with Garageband, otherwise it would be a brilliant device that can be used for Voice and 1/4 input for Guitar.

Originally Posted By: SoundThumb
I guess the question is can it currently get the audio from something connected to the docking connector. If so, I haven't found it yet.

Below the screen shots when I load up voice recorder, with built in mic and external mic.

With external Mic

Using internal Mic

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/15/11 10:21 AM

I haven't found a solution yet, but Ipad to Mac transfer is possible.

[quote=suniil]
Does anyone know if one could export a GB song (including vocals) to the iPad from one's computer?

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/15/11 04:27 PM

Quote:
I haven't found a solution yet, but Ipad to Mac transfer is possible.

Have you tried to email a GB file from your mac to your ipad, and see what happens when you try to open it in the mail app on the ipad ?

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/16/11 02:25 PM

Saw this on Hacker News (no not news for bad hackers smile ):
GarageBand Has Found Its Interface (related discussion)

I must say it does look really good. I am now considering to buy an iPad2...
Posted by: SoundThumb

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/16/11 10:09 PM

Thanks, suniil for answering my question about an external mic. Classic Apple interface, don't show an option if it's not currently available.
Posted by: Nikalette

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 05:12 AM

I've decided to buy the Ipad2 even though I have a pretty new 10" net book. The online piano instruction program I use is on IPad , and I can put Music Notes on there, not to mention Garage Band for free.

This is very basic compared to some of your posts, but can anyone recommend whether just to go for wireless or to get one of the 3G models? I do thing that I'd get the biggest memory just because.

I'm having trouble deciding on the 3G, and even whether to go for the Verizon (more reliable) or ATT model (faster). There's a good bundle on Verizon, but it's sold out.
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 08:47 AM

IMHO:

Wifi gives you most versatility around the home or in the vicinity of a public hotspot.

3G for those rare occasions when you don't have wifi. So maybe you don't need 3G at all, YMMV.
Posted by: KDog

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 08:55 AM

I have had the wireless version of the ipad1 since release. I use it mostly at home and sometimes at work. It connects to wireless at those locations automatically. I've never had the urge to have it 'on the road' to use 3g. My phone works just fine for email and web-browsing in that situation if I need.

You will like the ipad. It is so versatile and sets the standard of how these types of devices should be. I am an apple fan but the ipad goes beyond that preference.

There are many videos on youtube of folks using it as sheet music as well. It sits right on the music stand of a digital or acoustic piano. I use if for all types of reading but haven't quite made the jump to using it for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 10:46 AM

The 3G version also have GPS functionality, which the WIFI only version does not have.

Even though I might not use 3G, I think it is nice to have GPS in the unit, so I would probably go for the 3G version.

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 01:28 PM

I just took the plunge! ATT has an online deal, the 64g version with 3g for $529!!! Amazing. All you have to do is sign up for one month of the 2g data service, and one month is free, can cancel at the end of the month.

Much better deal than Verizon's which is $100 off.

I don't know how they're doing it, but I'm thrilled. That's a $300 savings!

While supplies last...
Posted by: teiresias

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 04:13 PM

Just to be clear, that ATT online deal is for an iPad1, not an iPad2.
Posted by: mezzie

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: teiresias

Ahhh I was wondering, since the iPad 2 deals are not really deals, since they include a mandatory 2-year service agreement. Nice that you can pick up an iPad 1 cheaply, but they're REALLY cheap on eBay and even Amazon these days.

I got my iPad2 from Apple without 3G, since I work from home and have wireless here. It STILL hasn't shipped even though I ordered it just a few hours after the online store started offering it frown

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 10:36 PM

Are you sure about that? It's the only bundle Ipad on sale at ATT. If it's the iPad I don't think I'll get it, because the link was on the iPad2 page.

I'll check it out and let you know

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/18/11 10:52 PM

Wow it is an iPad 1...taLk about deceptive advertising! I'm cancelling the order. May have seemed obvious to anyone else, but ATT does have some extremely good bundles and I just thought it was a promotional deal.

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 03/20/11 02:38 AM

I don't believe there is any service agreement requirement for the iPad2. There is no obligation to buy the monthly 3g service at all. It's a month to month thing. ATT & Verizon get their goodies because the iPads they sell are exclusive to their service, so you can't use the Verizon version of the 3g iPad with ATT.

The one ATT and is selling requires you to sign up for one month of the service, but part of the bundle is that it is free for 1 month and you cAN cancel at the end of the month.
Posted by: Steve Yu

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 04/08/11 11:00 PM

Seeing is believing:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQlbjFxdxGE

This hymn, Amazing Grace, is recorded using GarageBand for iPad. The gears include a Camera Connection Kit for iPad, a E-MU Xmidi 1x1 USB MIDI Cable, a YAMAHA keyboard, an AKG headphone and of course, an iPad (original version).

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 04/16/11 10:24 PM

Yup. So I got an ATT IPad 2 64 with the 3G option, which I do use occasionally. I signed up with ATT (already have internet and home phone) and if I use it it'll be $15 a month for the minimum date usage, which I think I've used. You really get spoiled being able to go online at any time. Same with my Kindle3 which I paid the extra for always connectivity (free), just for the convenience. Over the life of the device it's worth it.

Still, I may be missing something and I have to stop by Apple or ATT because if I go on the 3G I have to go to settings to get off it because it uses it even if I'm at home or in wireless range.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: Garage Band now on iPad - 04/16/11 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Nikalette
I'm having trouble deciding on the 3G, and even whether to go for the Verizon (more reliable) or ATT model (faster).

For an iPad, ATT makes more sense.

More reliable is more important for phone; faster is more important for data. A dropped call is very annoying on phone. A momentary loss of connection is far less aggravating on data, especially if it is balanced by faster data the rest of the time.