Piano plugin for ableton live

Posted by: hedron

Piano plugin for ableton live - 03/24/11 12:35 AM

Is there even one decent piano plugin for Ableton Live? I've used a bunch and found glaring issues with all of them. Not simply UI or minor issues, but like samples that crack apart or just fade to nothing mid-play.

I guess maybe using a Digital Piano (Yamaha P95) as a sort of keyboard controller might not be the best way. But all I want is a decent selection of voices to play my piano with. There are no Digital Pianos with a reasonable selection of voices. If there is please post a link.

Posted by: Jose Hidalgo

Re: Piano plugin for ableton live - 03/24/11 10:42 AM

Ableton live is not the best option for what you want, it is more for live electronic gigs.

Personally I prefer Reason ( propellerhead ) because it comes with a lot of instruments and good pianos, so if you want to compose huge ensembles Reason may be a very good option.

If you are kinda geek and you use Linux you can get FluidSynth & Qsynth and there are lots of very good soundfonts out there for free
Posted by: hedron

Re: Piano plugin for ableton live - 03/30/11 11:39 PM

Thanks, Reason is great.
Posted by: ChrisA

Re: Piano plugin for ableton live - 03/31/11 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: hedron
Is there even one decent piano plugin for Ableton Live? I've used a bunch and found glaring issues with all of them. Not simply UI or minor issues, but like samples that crack apart or just fade to nothing mid-play.

I guess maybe using a Digital Piano (Yamaha P95) as a sort of keyboard controller might not be the best way. But all I want is a decent selection of voices to play my piano with. There are no Digital Pianos with a reasonable selection of voices. If there is please post a link.

There are so many, hundreds of them. Ivory can be used as a plug-in but it costs more than your P95.

Try the demo version of Pianoteque. It can be used standalone or as a plug-in. If you want many decent voices then nothing can beat NI's "Komplete Elements" in terms of bang per buck
NI Komplete
this has about 2,000 voices for about $100. There is a much stripped down free version too.

Almost all and maybe actually all of the virtual software instruments you find are usable as plugins.

Many of those audio problems like crackles and drop outs are likely not problems with the plug-in but system and driver issues. Setting up a Windows system for music is not easy task. You have to basically "gut" the system removing not music tasks and getting special audio driers and just experimenting. It can be done. But what you are doing is turning a piece of office equipment into a musical instrument, you should expect that to take some effort.

So if you have tried several and they all have the same problem I'd look for a common cause, likely that is the system they are running on
Posted by: rickshapiro

Re: Piano plugin for ableton live - 03/31/11 06:29 AM

I cannot recommended this enough, specially for the money.

http://www.acoustica.com/pianissimo/index.htm