Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT

Posted by: Pwrmx24

Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/11/11 07:50 PM

I know it may be a long shot but has anyone purchased a cable for this setup that works? Before I spend money on a cable I was hoping someone might already know what works well. Thanks.
Posted by: TBrown

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/11/11 08:18 PM

While I don't have a Vista 64-bit system to test out, I am running my CDP-100 via a USB-MIDI cable on a 64 bit Windows 7 system. No problems whatsoever, although I'm a pretty basic user. I use it to compose sheet music and also with Pianoteq.

The main thing is to check to see if your USB-MIDI cable supports Vista 64-bit. I have one of the really cheap $5 ones and it seems to work fine with my setup.

Good Luck!
Posted by: galaxy4t

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/11/11 11:28 PM

The USB cable has nothing to do with it. This model does not have USB MIDI but has the 5 pin din jacks. You will need an audio interface to connect the piano to a computer and there is a driver that needs to be installed on the computer for the audio interface. As long as the interface has a driver or is class compliant with 64 bit operating systems, you will be fine.

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/12/11 09:42 AM

galaxy4t. Thanks. My post may not have been clear. I see that the CDP-100 doesn't have USB out to my computer directly, just has the 5 pin jacks. Really don't want to buy an "interface" per se like a M-Audio fast track pro, etc ($165). Just looking for the simplest, direct way to get the keyboard hooked to my computer's USB so when I play I can use Finale's Garritan sounds instead of the onboard keyboards sounds. Any ideas? Thanks.
Posted by: galaxy4t

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/12/11 11:15 AM

I understand what you want to do now. A MIDI to USB adapter will do the trick to connect the piano via USB. I think there are some $30 USD adapters sold in music stores like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and Best Buy (those that have musical instrument departments). There should be drivers that come with the adapter. As long as these are 64 bit compatible, you will be fine. An ASIO driver is best to avoid latency so if it has one of these, you will want to use it. If you have a laptop, the audio cards in them will give you problems with latency as well as audio pops and clicks. There are cheaper audio interfaces that can be used with USB Midi. The Steinberg C1 is an example
Posted by: TheodorN

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/12/11 11:25 AM

Just to make it clear, are the MIDI connections of the CP-100 like the one on the picture below?

I bought a MIDI 2x2 USB-MIDI interface from Miditech. It was not cheap, around $70, probably a lot cheaper in the U.S. But it has an advantage, I can connect two keyboards to it, though I haven't used that option so far. See next picture.

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/12/11 02:28 PM

Pianotehead: Yep. that's the 5 pin midi plug on the CDP-100.
Galaxy4t: Thanks for the advice. I will check on the adapter's manufacturer website for the drivers before purchasing.
TBrown: thanks for responding.
I'll post how it turns out in a couple of weeks. I have a buisness trip.
Posted by: TBrown

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/12/11 02:37 PM

This is the USB-MIDI Cable that I use with my CDP-100. Apparently there are some people that have had problems with the cable, but mine has been solid so far (1-2 months of almost daily use). I figured it was worth the $5 to try it out before I bought a $30 from Guitar Center, but it was sort of a gamble. It's not the fastest/best cable out there, but works without any problems for me.

Just for reference here are my setup specs:
CDP-100
MIDI to USB cable mentioned already
Dell Vostro - Windows 7, 64-bit

I use the default driver that installed itself when I plugged the cable in, then installed ASIO4ALL drivers to run Pianoteq through VSTHost. After changing some of the sample settings it works now with no latency issues.

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 06/13/11 07:55 PM

Thanks!

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 08/13/11 12:43 AM

So I went with the E-MU Midi 1x1 Tab cable. I downloaded the latest driver from E-MU and that went fine. (Windows Vista 64 bit) I've hooked it up to the keyboard and started Finale 2010. Set the Midi In device in Finale to E-Mu driver.
My keyboard has a MIDI setting on the power switch. When I hit the keyboard keys Finale plays the note and annotates it on the sheet music. So far so good.....except I can't get Finale to play the really nice Garritan sounds versus the (not so bad) softsynth tones. Any ideas?
Posted by: crescendo

Re: Casio CDP-100 MIDI to USB w/Vista 64 BIT - 08/18/11 08:41 AM

I have this exact model. Well, the model is the same but mine is a bit different from the picture shown is pianotehead's last post. Is this normal depending on countries?

anyway, I was wondering what are the advantages of connecting a piano to a computer.