Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350

Posted by: masterforrest

Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350 - 09/12/11 01:03 PM

I'm trying to decide between the two of these. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you.
Posted by: voxpops

Re: Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350 - 09/12/11 01:29 PM

masterforrest, really these are two very different keyboards, and so a little difficult to compare. The DGX series is more of an all-purpose home keyboard that leans towards a piano focus. The action is rather light, and while the sounds are generally good, has a fairly low-level output through its internal speakers.

The Korg is the home version of the SP-250. These DPs have a fairly substantial action (more piano-like) and focus primarily on the piano sounds (only you can judge if you prefer the Yamaha or Korg sounds). The internal amp/speakers are louder on the Korg and so will give a somewhat more realistic impression of playing a piano.

If you need to move the board around, the DGX will be easier to transport. If you prefer to have a DP that is more furniture-like, the Korg is the one to pick.

It's very difficult to offer any advice without knowing more about your intended uses and wishlist. If it were me, I'd choose the LP350 simply because it offers a more piano-like experience. If you want hundreds of sounds and other features, the DGX wins. But in any event, these are two very different animals. You might want to consider and compare the Casio Privias in the same price range.
Posted by: ChrisA

Re: Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350 - 09/12/11 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: masterforrest
I'm trying to decide between the two of these. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you.

Piano is almost a secondary feature of the DGX640. The key action is light but maybe better for non-piano sounds. The korg sp250/lp350 has a pretty decent key action. the DGX uses Yamaha's GHS keys that I don't like. You will have to try each yourself.

I think the DGX as a pitch or mod wheel and the Korg lacks one. You'd want this for playing many non-piano sounds. It's useless for piano.

Re: Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350 - 09/12/11 05:02 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I'm looking for a good digital piano primarily for my 8 y.o. little brother. It would be good to get him something he can grow into. I considered the Roland FP-7F but hesitate at the price (even though my dad is paying for most of it). Since Voxpops (or anyone else) has one, what do you think? Is it worth the extra cost?

Also, we thought about the Kurzweil Mark Pro ONEiS. That seems to be selling at a great price right now and costs about the same as the Yamaha DGX640 and less than the Korg LP350.

Re: Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350 - 09/12/11 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: masterforrest
Thank you so much for your responses. I'm looking for a good digital piano primarily for my 8 y.o. little brother. It would be good to get him something he can grow into. I considered the Roland FP-7F but hesitate at the price (even though my dad is paying for most of it). Since Voxpops (or anyone else) has one, what do you think? Is it worth the extra cost?

Also, we thought about the Kurzweil Mark Pro ONEiS. That seems to be selling at a great price right now and costs about the same as the Yamaha DGX640 and less than the Korg LP350.

I would say that, if your dad is feeling generous, the FP-7F is definitely a piano that a student could progress on, and is worth the extra. I certainly would not recommend a DGX for a piano student, however young. I have not played the Kurzweil Pro ONEiS, but if it is like other Kurzweil boards, the piano-sample implementation is not as good as in Roland, Yamaha or Kawai.

These are the lower-cost digital pianos with internal speakers that can currently substitute for a real acoustic with some degree of authenticity.

Under $1k
Casio Privia PX-130 (or better yet, the latest: PX-135)
Casio Privia PX-330 (same piano samples as PX-130 but many more features)

Korg SP-250

Around $1k
Yamaha P155
Korg LP-350 (same electronics as SP-250 - not as sophisticated as Yamaha P155)

Under $2k
Roland FP-4F
Roland FP-7F (better action)

Around $2k
Kawai CN23/33

Re: Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350 - 09/14/11 11:08 AM

Thank you so much for this list! I know a lot of people recommend trying the keyboards out, but can one really depend on the opinion of a sometimes moody 8 y.o? As for the money issue, I prefer my dad spending some of it on my college tuition! Lol.

Re: Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350 - 09/14/11 11:13 AM

Good luck to you and your family on the purchase - whatever you decide. Please come back and let us have a progress report.
Posted by: PianoZac

Re: Yamaha DGX640 vs. Korg LP350 - 09/14/11 01:46 PM

I played an LP350 and SP250 the other day at GC and was shocked at how bad both the action and sound were. The action on the SP250 particularly was LOUD, squeaky, uneven, and uninspiring to play. Korg desperately needs a new top of the line action. The RH3 needs to go like Kurzweil's Triple Strike Grand needs to. I think in the price range of the boards listed, you may want to check out the Casio Privia PX-130/PX-330, and Yamaha P95.