Roland FP-4 and FP-4F ?

Posted by: Rocksterh8

Roland FP-4 and FP-4F ? - 11/14/11 10:04 PM

Hello, Can anyone tell me the differance between a Roland FP-4 and FP-4F please? I have the opportunity to purchase an FP-4 for about $800.00 but I see on the Roland site they show an FP-4F, but not an FP-4.

Also does this sound like a fair price for this DP?

Any and all input much appreciated!

Cheers

Rocky
Posted by: voxpops

Re: Roland FP-4 and FP-4F ? - 11/14/11 11:05 PM

The Roland FP-4 is the older model. If the price quoted is for new, it is a good deal, IMO.

The FP-4 shares the same non-SN (SuperNATURAL) sound engine with the FP-7. The FP-4F has the newer SN engine, which avoids the looping of sustained notes, velocity-layer jumps and other artifacts which hamper realism. The SN models tend to allow for better expression due to an excellent action/sound connection. The FP-4F also has a newer and more sophisticated action than the FP-4, although it has been noted that it is perhaps more "sluggish" as well as heavier-weighted.

That said, the older model still has a good sound and is capable of being played expressively, despite the lighter action. However, it perhaps doesn't have the timbre range of the SN models. The FP-4 has a user-selectable/editable FX section that the newer "F" models lack, and can also remember more MIDI parameters
Click to reveal..
in the registration patches
(EDIT: see my post below in reply to anotherscott about MIDI functionality). In addition, its electric piano patches are arguably superior to the FP-4F. Its speakers are not the best, but then, from what I can gather, neither are the FP-4F's.

I would say that the decision to purchase the FP-4 over the FP-4F would depend to a large extent on the kind of music you play. I wouldn't suggest purchasing it for classical repertoire, but it copes pretty well towards the jazz/pop/rock end of the spectrum. To give you an example, I am rehearsing a jazz standards set on the FP-7F but will be gigging with the FP-4 due to its lighter weight.

Whatever you decide, I think that the Rolands (older and newer) are quality instruments that will serve you well.
Posted by: ZoeCalgary

Re: Roland FP-4 and FP-4F ? - 11/14/11 11:13 PM

Hi voxpops I'm curious why the fp4 wouldn't be
good For Classical rep? Thanks

Re: Roland FP-4 and FP-4F ? - 11/14/11 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ZoeCalgary
Hi voxpops I'm curious why the fp4 wouldn't be
good For Classical rep? Thanks

There are slab/stage pianos with much better actions than the FP-4's: Kawai MP6/MP10, Roland FP-7F/RD-700NX, for example. The FP-4's action is, IMO, too light and lacking definition (for want of a better word) for serious classical work - particularly if transferring regularly between an acoustic and a DP. That is NOT to say that you can't play classical pieces successfully on the FP-4, just that you probably won't be able to get quite the range of expression and subtlety that is required.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: Roland FP-4 and FP-4F ? - 11/15/11 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: voxpops
The FP-4...can also remember more MIDI parameters in the registration patches.

Can you elaborate on this? Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any difference between the two in this respect, from the manuals. In both cases, it looks like a registration can include a transmit channel, MSB, LSB, and Program Change.

Re: Roland FP-4 and FP-4F ? - 11/15/11 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Originally Posted By: voxpops
The FP-4...can also remember more MIDI parameters in the registration patches.

Can you elaborate on this? Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any difference between the two in this respect, from the manuals. In both cases, it looks like a registration can include a transmit channel, MSB, LSB, and Program Change.

Thanks for pointing this out, anotherscott. You're right about the registration memory - I was going on my own memory, which was obviously faulty! I'll edit my previous post. I do know there's a difference, however, which affects functionality. Again from memory (so please forgive me if I've got this wrong), there's a setting you can turn off on the FP-4 which you can't on the "F" models. It may be that you can turn off the Program Change function globally, but retain it (as a working function) in the registrations. I remember being able to use a module with my FP-4 and it would only change program when I selected a particular registration - the rest of the time it would stay where I left it. I think when I tried that function with the 7F, I couldn't make it work in the same way.

I'm not set up for this at the moment, so it's not easy to test, but I swear there's something that's different!