Alternative to Vax77 folding piano / keyboard.

Posted by: AlphaTerminus

Alternative to Vax77 folding piano / keyboard. - 01/31/12 12:29 PM

Is there a market for a lower-end folding keyboard like the Vax77 ($3000).

I want a portable 77 to 88 key keyboard to travel (fly) with. The only option is the Vax77 which is 3 thousand dollars. For now I'm stuck with a 49 key midi controller.

Surely M-audio, Korg, or even Vax could manufacture a no frills 77 key keyboard that folds in half for about $300.

Would any one buy one of these?

I guess my purpose in posting this is to sample interest in such a product. It seems like an obvious no-brainer product that would have a very high level of interest.
Posted by: erichlof

Re: Alternative to Vax77 folding piano / keyboard. - 01/31/12 01:30 PM

Hi, I don't know of anything that folds in half for 300 bucks. Like you, I got excited when I learned of the VAX 77 folding keyboard - what a great idea. My excitement quickly died when I saw the price tag. Talk about sticker shock!

VAX is an awesome controller I'm sure, but each unit is put together by hand in the United States. And therefore, with those kind of specs, the price has to go way up for them (Infinite Response) to get some of that time and domestic labor recuperated.

Like you said, I would be very interested in a name brand mass-produced MIDI keyboard (possibly with no sounds, just a controller) that still has 77-88 keys but folds in half. Not only is this good for flying, it would save my back from carrying a heavy midi keyboard (that does not fold) around to gigs. It's great that Infinite Response has the most sensitive keys (HD resolution) and optical sensors on the planet, but I would settle for 0-127 velocity resolution and a nice, light action that is fast enough for synth/organ playing and just weighted enough for piano playing.

NAMM 2012 was another letdown in terms of innovative piano products like this, as well as new modeling software/sample libraries. I guess we are not as big of a market as we thought. frown

Good luck in your search. Please post back if you get any leads.
Posted by: dewster

Re: Alternative to Vax77 folding piano / keyboard. - 01/31/12 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: erichlof
It's great that Infinite Response has the most sensitive keys (HD resolution) and optical sensors on the planet...

I believe they use magnets in the keys and linear Hall effect sensors under them.
Posted by: dewster

Re: Alternative to Vax77 folding piano / keyboard. - 01/31/12 04:59 PM

THIS is what creeps me out about the VAX. When it's folded the two keys at the folding point seem really fragile. And those ribbon cables looks like they're asking for a good pinching/mangling.

They sure can make some complex aluminum extrusions these days!