Roland RP-301 vs Yamaha YDP-161

Posted by: yonie

Roland RP-301 vs Yamaha YDP-161 - 03/11/12 04:31 AM

Hi,

I've been researching my first DP purchase for some weeks now. I've narrowed down the options to these two models, the Roland RP-301 (which is essentially an F-120 in another enclosure) and the Yamaha Arius YDP-161. I thought it might be valuable to others to share my findings so far.

I have been checking out both models, listening to them, playing on them (or rather having them played upon) and checking out specs and stats. I'm not an experienced piano player, so bear with me.

The specs are very similar. Dimensions are quite the same. Amount of sounds is comparable (the Roland having more but there are in general about 10 kinds of sounds just as the Yamaha).

Quality of samples, to me, sounds comparable as well. Action of the piano, to my limited experience, seemed not to differ too much either. Of course others might think differently, I guess these factors are the most important but also most subjective of all.

One thing the Roland has is decent external inputs and outputs, sadly the Yamaha is lacking this.

Next to this the Roland has the Ivory Feel keys which I guess you either like or don't.

Overall build quality on the Yamaha seemed a bit better to me, the Roland has some not-too-pretty things going on, for instance the bit where the headphone jacks are placed is very poorly cut out of the board.

Controls on both models have about the same usability, where the Roland has a LED display which makes it a bit easier to operate than the Yamaha.

The Yamaha has a more powerful amp on board (2x 20w versus 2x 12w on the Roland) which to my ears resulted in a bit fuller sound.

Pricing for both models is just about the same, at least in the Netherlands where I live.

The Roland is a new model (end of 2011) compared to the Yamaha which as I'm told is basically an outdated Clavinova model in a new cabinet.

All in all, these two models are clearly pitched against each other. Personally I'm leaning towards the Roland because of the IO ports and (perceived) better samples, but I'd really like to know if you guys have some more views on this.

Thanks,

Ronald
Posted by: MacMacMac

Re: Roland RP-301 vs Yamaha YDP-161 - 03/11/12 11:42 AM

What is there to say? You prefer the Roland, so buy it!
Posted by: BrokenChord

Re: Roland RP-301 vs Yamaha YDP-161 - 03/11/12 01:19 PM

Buy what you like...
Posted by: yonie

Re: Roland RP-301 vs Yamaha YDP-161 - 03/11/12 02:05 PM

Hehe laugh I guess I also kind of wrote this down to just sum the whole thing up for myself.

I'll be buying the Roland as soon as it is back in stock with my preferred supplier. That is, unless something makes me change my mind before then..
Posted by: shgmd

Re: Roland RP-301 vs Yamaha YDP-161 - 03/12/12 08:55 AM

I've actually been looking at both of these models also, although have preferred the YDP-181, which I believe has basically the same action and basic functions as the YDP-161, except for some extra features. I recently, however, had the opportunity to try out the Roland RP-301 and was very impressed. I was surprised by how much I liked the ivory feel and I liked the sounds a lot. Between the YDP-181 and the RP-301 I think I would go with the latter. I'm only waiting to try out the new Kawai CE220, as I had liked the wooden key action on the CE200 but was hoping for better sound, which the CE220 is supposed to have. But I still think the RP-301 is very fine, and might be my final choice. Good luck deciding!