Roland V-Piano / [Key replacements requested]*

Posted by: pv88

Roland V-Piano / [Key replacements requested]* - 04/05/12 05:07 AM

[Edited]*

*Extra note:

Looks as if Roland is replacing Ivory Feel key beds for customers requesting them due to wear, as I have already done so, as mentioned in the most current post, further on.
Posted by: Gigantoad

Re: Roland V-Piano / Key replacements not available - 04/05/12 05:13 AM

How do they deterioate?

Re: Roland V-Piano / Key replacements not available - 04/05/12 05:32 AM

@Gigantoad,

Quite simply, deterioration is the direct result of finger nail contact as this cannot be completely avoided in piano playing even if you trim your nails very short as I do, for example.

Now, you may not want to do this if you own a V-Piano, however, by taking the edge of just one nail (on the index finger) you can easily make marks on the key surfaces with a firm scraping motion which are very minute (i.e., small) but they are scratches, nonetheless.

Now, after a few marks have appeared (as this doesn't take very long with regular piano use) you will also see flaky/dusty residue on the keys that is analogous to perhaps very tiny paint chips, or, maybe even flour.

Wipe a finger over a key where these scratches have occurred and you will now have proof of the key coating coming off.

And, as the scratches become more numerous you will both see and feel them while playing.

How many of you have observed this?
Posted by: Dr Popper

Re: Roland V-Piano / Key replacements not available - 04/05/12 07:16 AM

Hmmm....
Posted by: ando

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 07:49 AM

Originally Posted By: pv88
Just received official word from Roland that no new "Ivory Feel" keys have been manufactured for the V-Piano, leaving current owners stranded as far as having keys that will simply continue to deteriorate.*

New keys are available for many other models yet Roland's flagship stage piano does not have this option.

Not a very good strategy for Roland as it results in negative feedback.

And, will cause further loss of customer trust.

The question is, why?

*Extra note:

Roland R&D should take a close look at the materials other digital manufacturers are using (like Casio, for example) which show no signs of wear whatsoever, regardless of how the keys are struck or contacted. The "Ivory Touch" keys on my Casio AP-620 have remained essentially perfect since the day I bought it. Not a scratch to be found.

If there are replacement keys available for other high end Roland models, you would think they could be used - even if they aren't the same material as the original ones. Unless there are physical differences between the V-piano and other keys - which has never been confirmed. If I were a V-piano owner I'd insist that Roland make some plastic keys and just give up on this useless Ivory stuff. The "ivory feel" is a much overemphasised selling point on pianos anyway.
Posted by: piano_shark

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 07:57 AM

at that price level rolland simply assumed the keys will not deteriorate...
Posted by: alekkh

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 08:47 AM

pv88, when you compare V-Piano to Casio... I think there's an obvious answer for Casio keys holding well, perhaps you play V-Piano more often? wink

Anyway, this "deteriorates" is nothing. At least the key still plays.

"Deteriorates" could be way more serious - when keys start being stuck, for example. Yamaha P80, P120 and a bunch of other stage pianos of the time used bad lubricant which corroded the plastic. After 1 year, multiple keys would suddenly stop returning back after being pressed. That's serious deterioration. Yamaha had to offer no questions asked complete keyboard replacement after many complaints.

Re: V-Piano. Even if the key issue is cosmetic, Roland should sell replacements keys for years still... This is called product support.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: alekkh
Re: V-Piano. Even if the key issue is cosmetic, Roland should sell replacements keys for years still... This is called product support.

Also, if they are still manufacturing the V-Piano, they must still have keys for it, or they wouldn't be able to make any more. So this does sound very strange.

As an aside, I believe that in the U.S., manufacturers are required to make spare parts available for 7 years. It's not as wonderful as it sounds. There's no rule about what they have to charge for them. So if a company is running low on parts before the 7 years are up, and it's not cost-practical for them to manufacture more, they can just raise the price on the existing parts so high that almost no one would buy them anyway, and then they're pretty much assured of not running out. ;-)

Along those lines, it's not impossible that Roland could say that the keys are not available individually, but you are welcome to buy an entire replacement keybed for a thousand dollars or whatever... but it seems to me that they need to offer something.

Also, I believe a replacement part only need to be sufficient to maintain functionality, it does not have to be identical to the original. For example, they may stop manufacturing a certain ivory-style key design because, say, its surface deteriorates. It would not make sense to continue to manufacture what is, in a sense, a kind of defective design. So they may have a new "improved" replacement key design that they can offer. But it's possible it may, for example, not exactly match the color or feel of the original. And in that case, you can't really expect them to continue to manufacture a part that they know has problems which they have subsequently corrected.

And that could be another reason to perhaps only sell replacement keys as part of a full set, if the "fixed" version doesn't match the original in some way, such that mixing and matching keys would be problematic... but it would still fulfill their obligation to provide some way to "repair" the instrument. And in fact, it might be the best way to go anyway, if the same problem would be likely to start happening to a number of the other keys anyway. But I can't imagine they're not offering anything at all, really?
Posted by: CarloPiano

Re: Roland V-Piano / Key replacements not available - 04/05/12 09:35 AM

How many of you have observed this?

I bought my HP-305 in September 2011. One or maybe two months ago I started to feel some wear on the keys. I don't think 5 months is time enough to keys starting to deteriorate. Now the wear is very evident and the keys makes me feel a weird sensation.

I'm very happy with my DP, except for this. I will call the shop where I bought it to ask if this is covered by guaranty. I hope so... and I also hope that the replacement keys will be made more quality made. This is frankly unacceptable for such a worldwide prestigious make as Roland is.
Posted by: gvfarns

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 09:35 AM

According to a correspondence from Roland, the V "has a one-of-a-kind keyboard assembly," which implies that it is not, after all, interchangeable with the keys of other PHAIII models, and probably is not mechanically identical to them either.

There have been a number of people who have claimed that the V keys feel different than those of other PHAIII pianos like the RD700NX. I would have expected this to be all in their heads, but perhaps this new evidence indicates that it is not.

In any case, the comment appears to preclude the possibility of obtaining and using the keys intended for another Roland piano.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 09:58 AM

Someone else also reported that he tried V-Piano and FP-7F while the power was off and apparently both felt the same. Guess we'll never know.
Posted by: PianoZac

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 10:10 AM

First off, this is something that has plagued Roland from the start when they launched the RD-700GX back in 2008, and it surprisingly is still an issue. Having owned both an RD-700GXF and RD-700NX, I can attest that I don't miss the Ivory Feel keys at all, and personally feel the keys are a little over done. They haven't used Ivory in piano keys in nearly a hundred years.

As for this bit about the V-Piano having some exclusive keyboard and keys...not likely. If this were true, then why wouldn't Roland proudly advertise such keys and key board action? They could easily say their flagship V-Piano/Grand models have this exclusive action. I believe 100% that the only reason the V-Piano appears to be different is because of the tone generation.
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 10:17 AM

Just received official word from Roland that no new "Ivory Feel" keys have been manufactured for the V-Piano, leaving current owners stranded as far as having keys that will simply continue to deteriorate.*

Huh? What does "official word" mean? Press release? Email? Service bulletin?

What is the source?

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 10:37 AM

pv88 requested new (non wearing) keys to replace his, which are getting unpleasant wear. Someone at Roland emailed his dealer, who forwarded it to him. The email indicates that the RD700NX and other pianos have had updated keybeds but the V piano has not, and therefore the only option for replacement of his V piano will be a set of keys that is identical the one it originally came with.

The implication that keys are not interchangeable with other Roland pianos was an inference on my part based on this information and the other (one-of-a-kind) comment I mentioned, which is from the same email.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 11:05 AM

Oh, so he wasn't told he couldn't get replacement keys, he was told he couldn't get the kind of new improved keys that have been made available for other models. I misunderstood completely, sorry for going off on a tangent.
Posted by: Erard

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes
As for this bit about the V-Piano having some exclusive keyboard and keys...not likely. If this were true, then why wouldn't Roland proudly advertise such keys and key board action? They could easily say their flagship V-Piano/Grand models have this exclusive action.

Unless they prefer people to think they can buy the same action for a much lower price... cool

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Erard

Unless they prefer people to think they can buy the same action for a much lower price... cool

Wouldn't this be borderline scam? wink
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 05:35 PM

I seem to recall one V-Piano owner claiming that his instrument's Ivory Touch keyboard was replaced by 'standard' plastic keys.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 09:22 PM

James,

Please do let me know who that might be, as Roland has said they never have manufactured any standard plastic keys for the V-Piano, only the Ivory Feel ones.

Also, it was with Pierre that I had additional correspondence with as he told me that Roland did give him plastic keys for his HP model (not a V-Piano), and, that he had trouble with plastic keys not being spaced properly and they made loud clicking noises that he did not like... so, he opted for another set of Ivory Feel keys which apparently had been formulated to be more resilient.

This is good news only for those who own other Roland models, however, this does not apply to the V-Piano.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 09:32 PM

James,

Please do let me know who that might be, as Roland has said they never have manufactured any standard plastic keys for the V-Piano, only the Ivory Feel ones.

Ah, it was bennevis. However, I am mistaken. He mentioned that his V-Piano received a newer/harder Ivory Feel keybed when the instrument was taken away to apply the 'Evolution' software update.

Originally Posted By: bennevis
My V-Piano was the first generation model and it developed roughness on its white keys after some months, but never bothered me (I've played lots of old acoustic pianos with ivory keys that are far, far worse - but the roughness helped my fingers to stay on the keys in the heat of performance ), but when Roland took it away to install the Evolution upgrades, I mentioned the wear issue, and they replaced the keytops with what looks like identical 'Ivory-feel' material but which doesn't seem to wear at all, though I've been playing lots of harder stuff since then.

Kona's post in the same thread may also be relevant.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/05/12 09:54 PM

Bennevis' and Kona's experiences, then, appear to be in contradiction to the statement made by the Roland guy that they are still on the first generation V piano keys and no changes have been made or are available. I wonder if we will ever know for sure what's going on here...

pv88, is your V newer than July 5, 2011? Just wondering because that's the shipping date (according to Kona's information) after which the new keyboard was apparently used. Perhaps you already have the new one and that is what the Roland guy meant in his email.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
pv88, is your V newer than July 5, 2011? Just wondering because that's the shipping date (according to Kona's information) after which the new keyboard was apparently used. Perhaps you already have the new one and that is what the Roland guy meant in his email.

The V-Piano shipped in November of last year as it is now approaching the 5 month mark, for ownership. However, since I purchased it on a layaway agreement back in May, 2011, with Gigasonic, it looks like it could be an older model than the date you mention, above.

My piano obviously has key tops that are wearing, so they do not have the new improved material.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 01:44 AM

James,

Yes, turns out that our friend bennevis is the only one I know of who has said he had a successful key bed assembly change for his V-Piano, although he had this taken care of by Roland, UK, not the USA.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 02:52 AM

My piano obviously has key tops that are wearing, so they do not have the new improved material.

If you get aggressive enough with Roland, your's will too!
Posted by: Ken Knapp

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 10:32 AM

In many of my posts on digital pianos I have recommended that a buyer take a long hard look at how a company deals with product support. This is because digitals use MANY specialized parts that you cannot duplicate or buy off the shelf. So when a manufacturer's support evaporates, the instrument becomes a boat anchor if it needs repair.

Even though I independently do repairs, I am associated with a dealer who sells new digitals, so I will not state my opinions on who supports their instruments and who, in my opinion, does not. All I can say is that before you buy you need to know who supports after the sale and who wants you to just buy another.. The trend is they want the customer to replace rather than repair. Just how valuable is that dreamy sounding instrument if it is a throw away?

It's cheaper than maintaining a parts inventory. All tech support needs to worry about are current models. They profit from the additional sales.. It's a win-win for the manufacturers.. And please note, there are manufacturers who provide EXCELLENT support after the sale, and for many years down the road..
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Knapp
...I am associated with a dealer who sells new digitals, so I will not state my opinions on who supports their instruments and who, in my opinion, does not. All I can say is that before you buy you need to know who supports after the sale and who wants you to just buy another...

Good point Ken. But if we don't learn who does and who does not support their products from someone like you, how would we ever know? Most of us are just retail consumers. Asking the salesman whether or not the piano one might be interested in is well supported after sale by the manufacturer could often be a waste of time...what else will they say other than "yes, manufacturer X (which they're selling of course), is great at after-sales".

So come on...out with it! Who stands by their instruments after sale?

Cheers,

Steve
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 11:06 AM

So come on...out with it! Who stands by their instruments after sale?

I know that Yamaha does. I was told by a rep that they supposedly have parts stocked for ten years. (That may be a requirement of Dutch law ... ?)

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 11:27 AM

I wonder if Yamaha's ethos is influenced by their long-standing experience manufacturing acoustic instruments - where of course they are expected to last many years. Maybe they apply a little of that thinking to their electronic instruments, who knows?

But it would be nice to know what (relatively) impartial people in the trade think about who does and does not offer good after-sales support. There are contributors to this forum with exactly this knowledge and experience....
Posted by: ClsscLib

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 12:55 PM

I've seen a lot of consumers (not dealers) step forward on these boards to say how Yamaha and Kawai stand behind their products.

Which dogs do you hear not barking?
Posted by: alekkh

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
I've seen a lot of consumers (not dealers) step forward on these boards to say how Yamaha and Kawai stand behind their products.

Which dogs do you hear not barking?

Maybe because these are the ones that actually break ?

For example, I've had Yamaha P80 actually break down. I can tell you that Yamaha's support is good.

Roland products were always in a good shape, so I have no idea what Roland support is like.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 01:14 PM

I'll put in a couple of good words for Casio and Hammond, who both went beyond what was necessary to keep me happy.
Posted by: Macy

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 04:26 PM

I'll add that Yamaha support has been simply amazing to me, and let it go at that. I hope I didn't just jinx it for the next time I need something...

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 08:53 PM

Have decided to go ahead and try out the key bed assembly that has just arrived here locally, and, will see as to how the key tops fare, compared to the current ones.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/06/12 11:46 PM

I´m currently abroad on one of my, er, faraway travels cool, so have not been able to get internet access regularly, thus my late butting in here.

I´ll just repeat what I (and Kawai James) mentioned previously - the replacement white keys that Roland gave me are clearly different to the original ones. There´s absolutely no wear on them after some 8 months of (even) harder playing than what I´ve previously subjected my poor V-Piano to grin, though superficially they look and feel the same as the original ones.
Posted by: Carlos-CR

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/07/12 03:26 AM

Well, i can testify that yamaha gives long term support. I've just switched the keyboard on my 7 years old cvp305.

I think their trick is slow evolution, so new models share a lot of parts with old ones. But this also have a downside and it's that there aren't many reasons to upgrade from a cvp305 to a cvp505 which I see as inferior because it doesn't have string resonance (an it's much expensive).

About the original topic, I can't help you but wish best luck with that replacement. Bennevis answer gives hope ou will get a better one smile

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/07/12 04:50 AM

Hi bennevis,

I am very glad to hear that you received keys that are holding up really well under your playing, as I now wait with bated breath (so-to-speak) on the new key bed assembly I will be getting, shortly.

Extra note:

@Carlos-CR,

Thanks for the comments, as the V-Piano is certainly worth it!

Posted by: kiedysktos.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/07/12 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: alekkh
Roland products were always in a good shape, so I have no idea what Roland support is like.

+1

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/07/12 09:21 AM

Quote:

That doesn't seem to be the consensus experience of this forum. I see lots of Roland problems and also problems with Kawai's wood action. If anything I see fewer complaints about Yamaha gear. interesting given their large market share.

Though I get the impression that all three companies offer great support.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/07/12 10:15 AM

If anything I see fewer complaints about Yamaha gear. interesting given their large market share.

On the other hand, Yamaha tends to make minimal changes to the mechanical aspects of its products from year to year and model to model, so that would explain why very little goes wrong with them. They are tried and tested over many years. The downside of that is that they are less innovative (fewer revisions) than Roland and Kawai (not that they are setting a cracking pace).

Quote:

Though I get the impression that all three companies offer great support.

Yes, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy a product from any of these 3 companies on support grounds. Have really only heard good things about the effort they go to to make customers happy.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/07/12 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: ando

On the other hand, Yamaha tends to make minimal changes to the mechanical aspects of its products from year to year and model to model, so that would explain why very little goes wrong with them....

Indeed. They are so minimal that the yamaha tech that came to my house was able to swap my 7 years old GH3 circuit boards with those of a GHD keyboard and it worked perfectly! So mechanically they really have to be the same.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/07/12 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Carlos-CR
Indeed. They are so minimal that the yamaha tech that came to my house was able to swap my 7 years old GH3 circuit boards with those of a GHD keyboard and it worked perfectly! So mechanically they really have to be the same.

That sounds impressive indeed. To be clear, they changed out the electronics that make the sound or did they change out the board that contains the sensor? I'm actually super interested in the degree to which parts can be replaced and upgraded in digital pianos.

What do you mean by GHD? Is that another name for the GH action?

Ando is completely right about Yamaha. They sort of found a good formula years ago and haven't really moved from there since.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/07/12 05:49 PM

I don´t know what Roland´s support is like in USA, but certainly in UK, they´re great. For those who don´t know the history of how the white keys on my V-Piano came to be replaced, I didn´t actually request a replacement - when Roland took away my V-Piano in order to put in the Evolution upgrade (after a couple of botched attempts by me, I rang them for advice and was told not to try any more in case I damaged the electronics, and they´d put them in for me), I mentioned the fact that the white keys had developed a little roughness from my playing over the 9 months or so since I bought it, and they said they´d look into it. When it was returned to me, it had not just the Evolution upgrade, but also the replacement keys.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/08/12 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Carlos-CR

That sounds impressive indeed. To be clear, they changed out the electronics that make the sound or did they change out the board that contains the sensor? I'm actually super interested in the degree to which parts can be replaced and upgraded in digital pianos.

What do you mean by GHD? Is that another name for the GH action?

Ando is completely right about Yamaha. They sort of found a good formula years ago and haven't really moved from there since.

Hello,

I'l try to clarify:

the keyboard comes with 3 circuit boards that contain the sensors and the interface to the DP. My original keyboard is a GH3 (3 sensors per key) model and the one the tech brought was a GHD (only 2 sensors per key), so he dismounted the circuit boards that came with my GH3 and mounted back in the GHD keyboard and it worked like a charm. So, mecanically, the GHD keyboards and GH3 are compatible. I was amazed it worked smile
Posted by: Dr Popper

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/09/12 12:14 AM

I can't honestly say I've ever had any issues with Roland's product quality ...even the Ivory feel keys don't seem to be a issue for me.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 03:26 AM

[Edited]

Read post, below.
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 04:30 AM

Maybe a little harsh pv88? I don't know only you can judge, but sh*# happens in business and when something depends on one or two 'key' people smile clients can get messed about. An apology and explanation is expected though, let them know you're not too happy, and if you keep the endgame in sight then all should be OK, eventually.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 04:51 AM

[Edited]

Read post, below.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 12:09 PM

original quote removed at request of pv88

Richard, try and remember the good points about the V-Piano - the reasons you bought it in the first place. I understand you feel let down.
Posted by: ClsscLib

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 02:15 PM

I carry no brief for Roland, but a one-time serviceperson's need to reschedule isn't all that strange. Most of us have had to reschedule the odd appointment from time to time.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: EssBrace

Richard, try and remember the good points about the V-Piano - the reasons you bought it in the first place. I understand you feel let down.

Agree. Richard it seems you were a very satisfied owner of your V-piano, and given how frustrating and love/hate many people's relationships with their DPs are, you may not find that level of satisfaction with any other DP. Burning your bridges with Roland over this might turn out to be biting your nose off to spite your face. Roland has little control with organisational matters to do with repairing your V-piano. It sucks that it has to happen, but you may have had to deal with this repair service no matter which DP you own, so it's about the service arrangement more than the brand of your DP. I'd advise you to be patient and insistently push towards what you want. By all accounts these things do resolve where Roland is concerned.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 04:48 PM

Yes, everyone is right, as I do appreciate the advice, and, I have already apologized to Spectrum Sound regarding a minor scheduling detail. Here is an interesting new photo:

Looks pretty nice, as we now can view the actual key bed!

The color of the key tops appear whiter, than mine.
(Could be just the lighting in the photo.)

New assembly goes in, on Monday.

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 04:52 PM

Promising developments! smile
Posted by: PianoZac

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 04:55 PM

Thanks Richard! With this picture, we can now LAY TO REST the suggestions that the V-Piano uses a unique keyed all its own. It is the same PHA III keyed in the FP-7F and RD-700NX, amongst other top end Roland DPs. Let us know how it goes with the new key bed.
Posted by: 36251

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 04:57 PM

How do you avoid the same problem from happening again?
Posted by: voxpops

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 36251

Buy a Yamaha? grin

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes
Thanks Richard! With this picture, we can now LAY TO REST the suggestions that the V-Piano uses a unique keyed all its own. It is the same PHA III keyed in the FP-7F and RD-700NX, amongst other top end Roland DPs. Let us know how it goes with the new key bed.

Is it? It looks different than the 7F keyboard. The colour as a start. Maybe that at least is not what you meant?
Posted by: voxpops

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 05:10 PM

The color is different between the "S" version in the FP-7F and that in the RD-700NX and V-Piano (amongst others). That is supposed to be the only difference.
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 09:20 PM

Make sure you wash your hands with soap or hand sanitizer that DOES NOT have any alcohol in it. Also, keep your nails trimmed short. Other than that . . . no clue.
Posted by: stringless

Re: Roland V-Piano key replacements not available - 04/12/12 10:02 PM

Don't use any alcohol, chemicals, windex, etc, to clean the keys.

And as mentioned by others, no alcohol-based hand sanitizers, and no hand lotions, etc etc etc.

All I do to mine (pha II, no fake ivory or anything) is wipe it down with a microfiber rag when I'm done for the day.

It's never seen anything harsher than just plain water on a clean rag -- and that, only a few times. The dry microfiber rag works wonders and avoids having to use harsher methods.
Posted by: Per Baekgaard

Roland and Yamaha support - 04/13/12 09:14 AM

Sorry to chime in a bit late; haven't been able to keep up with the posts here recently.

As for support from the suppliers, at least here in Denmark both Yamaha and Roland have great support.

I replaced some of the keys on my Yamaha P150 quite some years ago (there is a design defect that causes them to wear out where the spring touches the plastic, so they "hang" below the others). Yamaha had parts for that available quite some years after they stopped selling the P150. I had to pay for them, though, but had no difficulties getting the parts.

I also replaced some buttons on my JV80 many years ago, and Roland was very helpful to get those parts to me quickly. I have had also a minor issue with a small Roland recorder, that they responded to very fast and offered to replace/fix if I wanted (I didn't).

And lately (2 mo ago) I had the keys on my RD700NX replaced due to wear. That was a stellar experience in my mind. I picked a time that suited me, drove by with the keyboard, which they repaired on the spot in 30 min while offering me coffee and cookies in their demo room. They carefully got me to check out afterwards that I would be OK with the new feel -- which they had thoroughly explained both before and after would feel a little different (less open) etc.

So I cannot imagine they could do much better customer service.

The new keys are btw kind of "Ivory-ish" in that there is a little texture on top of the keys, so they are not like e.g. the Nord keys that are completely glossy. Also, they show absolutely no sign of wear until now.

As for Nord, I haven't had to replace anything (yet...) but they have been quick to respond to email questions and inquiries -- so I'm sure they are good too.

Hopefully all will go well for pv88 too!

-- Per.

Re: Roland and Yamaha support - 04/17/12 02:57 AM

As mentioned above, the new key bed has now been replaced (as of Monday) as I wait to see how the new keys will do. As bennevis pointed out, his new keys looked no different than the ones that were replaced (same as with mine, likewise), so it will be interesting to see if the end results are equal.

Also, enjoying the new Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers (with subwoofer)* as this setup isn't really bad, for the price.

*Read all the details on the speakers, in the other post.

Re: Roland and Yamaha support - 04/17/12 03:17 AM

Also, enjoying the new Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers (with subwoofer)* as this setup isn't really bad, for the price.

*Read all the details on the speakers, in the other post.

I thought you were planning to send the Klipsch speakers back (or refuse delivery on them, at least...)?

Either way, glad everything appears to working out for you.

James
x

Re: Roland and Yamaha support - 04/17/12 03:52 AM

James,

Actually, I am glad that I decided to keep the Klipsch speakers as they are better than I had originally expected. They are obviously not high end/hi-fi/high quality monitors by comparison, although they aren't bad, either.

There is more power in this setup than you would ever need for practical listening purposes, as the sub can be overly boomy, however, at lower and moderate volume levels, it is really pretty decent with good clarity in the higher treble range.

Don't know as to how long the setup may last, but $150 is certainly a fair price for better than average sound.

Re: Roland and Yamaha support - 04/17/12 04:28 AM

Good result, let's hope it holds out.

Did you get to see inside your v?

Re: Roland and Yamaha support - 04/17/12 04:44 AM

@spanishbuddha,

As for your question:

Actually, no, as the technician arrived with another helper so they could carry out the V-Piano to their vehicle and take it back to the shop. My technician said that V-Piano had to be opened up there since it was going to be a somewhat delicate procedure getting to the keyboard assembly, as the V-Piano itself opens up like a "clam shell," he said.

I had the entire key bed assembly replaced (as you can see in the photo) as this contains a new action, as well. The ivory key tops look just about the same as the old ones, so I am not sure as to how they will do as of yet. Remember that bennevis said that his key replacements also looked the same, although his have held up just fine on his account. The only difference being that his piano came back to him from the shop with a note attached, saying that only the "white keys" had been replaced.

So, it looks like we still don't get a definitive look at the inner workings of the V-Piano. Also, even if he had opened it up at my place, I don't have a camera so pictures couldn't have been taken, anyway.

However, the new keys really do look and feel nice!