Sennheiser HD280 Straight Cord - Instead of Coiled Cord

Posted by: McBuster

Sennheiser HD280 Straight Cord - Instead of Coiled Cord - 06/20/12 01:20 PM

I would like to replace the colied cord with a straight cord.

Called Sennheiser, they do not have one.

Scanned websites and found some where a non-factory cord was adapted and cobbled onto the headset.

Anyone have an idea for a cord that will just plug right in?

Thanks
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Sennheiser HD280 Straight Cord - Instead of Coiled Cord - 06/20/12 02:08 PM

Can the cable _easily_ be removed? I have several sets of headphones where the cables simply unplug allowing me to easily replace them when they break.

I've tried to solder headphone cables in the past and it was a nightmare thus my switch to buying headphones where the cables can be easily removed.

Good luck.
Posted by: dewster

Re: Sennheiser HD280 Straight Cord - Instead of Coiled Cord - 06/20/12 02:25 PM

I think you'll be better off with a straight cord - electrons get dizzy traveling up those curly ones, and when they throw up in your ears the tiny bits of vomit obscure the soundstage.
Posted by: McBuster

Re: Sennheiser HD280 Straight Cord - Instead of Coiled Cord - 06/20/12 03:34 PM

Yes, they are replaceable, but straight cords are not available. I am capable of the soldering etc, but would rather not go that route.

Thanks
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Sennheiser HD280 Straight Cord - Instead of Coiled Cord - 06/20/12 05:14 PM

I really wish there would be a standardization of cables. My Sennheiser HD598 uses a very slightly modified 1\8" cable and my AKG 240 MKII uses a mini XLR.

If all these companies used one simple format we wouldn't have to keep replacing headphones because of a defective cable. Sorry, what was I thinking.
Posted by: piRround

Re: Sennheiser HD280 Straight Cord - Instead of Coiled Cord - 06/20/12 06:04 PM

For the same reason that every printer uses different ink...or drums....so that when you go to replace cartridges it's so frustrating to find the one you want, you'd almost rather just buy a new printer.