Yamaha P105

Posted by: Possum SP280Krome

Yamaha P105 - 07/14/12 07:11 AM

There was no audio demo; but this was listed as having Pure CF sampling- still the GHS action so of course it is the P95 update.
It looks like they are offering aux line outs on this to solve the problem. No mention of the speakers and power.

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/pianos_keyboard/the_yamaha_p105_digital_piano/

List price is $999- I am thinking that equates to a street price of $599.
Posted by: dewster

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/14/12 08:40 AM

Thanks Possum! Added to the DPBSD begging list. The portable end of things always interests me. Does anyone know where the pivot point of a GHS key is located (compared to other Yamaha fare)?
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/14/12 08:55 AM

I just hope they didn't take the MIDI jacks away when they added USB.
Posted by: Turnabout

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/14/12 09:02 AM

No mention of MIDI, but no reason it can't have MIDI over USB. In fact, by mentioning that you can connect it to an iPad with Apple's connector-kit strongly suggests it has class-compliant MIDI over USB.

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/14/12 10:29 AM

I have no doubt it will have MIDI over USB. The question is whether it will have MIDI jacks. Yamaha and Casio have this unfortunate habit of taking away the 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors when they add USB to their lower end keyboards. This makes them more problematic for gigging musicians who may want to trigger sounds in other boards or modules, allow another board or device to call up a patch change, etc.
Posted by: Stevesie

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/14/12 07:48 PM

One store is taking orders at $599. Keen to hear if it has midi din connectors also.
Posted by: galaxy4t

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/14/12 10:50 PM

I would guess from the press release that it is USB MIDI. Yahama has probably taken off the din jacks that the P95 had.

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/15/12 01:53 AM

From what I am reading; it seems a good deal at $599, as I am sure there will be the $100 off coupons.
Who knows I might be PossumP105 before long.

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/16/12 06:05 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXf-u1UToc

Hard to tell much from the craptacular video mic recording.
Posted by: Jonny Guitar

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/16/12 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Stevesie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXf-u1UToc

Hard to tell much from the craptacular video mic recording.

Why the heck is he singing? Demo the damn piano sounds instead maybe.

I think that this is the piano for me...can't wait to try it.
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/16/12 10:40 AM

Adjustable onboard reverb?! Hold the front page!

Seriously I think it's promising. I played a P95 very recently for the first time and was surprised by how good it was (action and sound). If the new sound engine (PureCF, which is the last generation Clavinova sound engine) is more than just a word and represents a real advance over what the P95 has then it could be very good.

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/16/12 02:30 PM

Thanks for posting, it seems from the info posted on the monitor that it might fit the custom P95 stand/pedals

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/19/12 10:23 PM

Yamaha have confirmed via email that it is USB only, no DIN. Seems like a stupid move when the P95 was often suggested as a lightweight midi controller.
Posted by: BaR

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/19/12 10:50 PM

Yamaha have confirmed via email that it is USB only, no DIN. Seems like a stupid move when the P95 was often suggested as a lightweight midi controller.

I agree. I'm really curious about the new CF engine, however I think I'm glad I got the P95 with standard MIDI connections. Kinda hard to "MIDI up" to other gear with only USB.

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/19/12 11:40 PM

Yeah. A year ago, you could get three sub-30 lb. weighted 88 pianos with MIDI for under $600... Casio CDP-100, Korg SP-170, Yamaha P95. Now the only option will be the Korg. It looks like the least expensive Yamaha will be $1000, and the least expensive Casio will be $800. Hopefully the Korg sticks around a while (or its replacement maintains MIDI).
Posted by: susanmusic

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/20/12 10:08 AM

If you otherwise liked the P105 but also needed to use it as a midi controller, this should work (for a price tag of $179). Note that you would need the latest version of the firmware for the device to work with Yamaha products.

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI-Overview
Posted by: mitzysman

Re: Yamaha P105 - 07/24/12 08:43 AM

sounds nice - i want one !
Posted by: megabyzus

Re: Yamaha P105 - 11/26/12 04:19 PM

Hi, can someone help me with this question about the p105's USB to HOST out before I purchase it?:

If I connect it to an iPad(or computer) with Garageband(or similar software) and select a type of loop/sound on it, say a drum, once I play a note on the p105, will I hear the drum on my p105 speakers? Note the p105 has an USB to Host output.

Thanks, in advance!

Mo
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Yamaha P105 - 11/26/12 04:27 PM

megabyzus, the sound will be produced by the source, i.e. the iPad/computer.

However, some DPs (not the P105) feature LINE IN connectors, allowing the external audio to be re-routed through the instrument's amplifier and speakers.

James
x
Posted by: 1John

Re: Yamaha P105 - 11/26/12 04:43 PM

No, you won't be able to hear it on the P-105 speakers as the P-105 doesn't have an audio line-in connection. The sound would be generated on the iPad (with appropriate interface) or computer, and then have to be played through speakers connected to it.

Re: Yamaha P105 - 11/26/12 10:58 PM

Right, no audio in to allow the P-105 to play an external source through its internal speakers. The Casio PX-350 has that feature, though.
Posted by: megabyzus

Re: Yamaha P105 - 12/04/12 01:11 PM

Thanks for your kind response. I have another qwuestion, if I may: Is there a way to keep my iPad charging while I have my P105 connected to it via some sort of 'connection kit'? Does anyone have experience in an actual working piece of hardware? BTW, I'm already aware of the expensive Alesis ioDock and the iConnector.

Thanks in advance!

Mo
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Yamaha P105 - 12/04/12 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: megabyzus
Thanks for your kind response. I have another qwuestion, if I may: Is there a way to keep my iPad charging while I have my P105 connected to it via some sort of 'connection kit'? Does anyone have experience in an actual working piece of hardware? BTW, I'm already aware of the expensive Alesis ioDock and the iConnector.

Thanks in advance!

Mo

iRig midi is one example, I think there are others.

Re: Yamaha P105 - 12/04/12 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

iRigMIDI provides standard 5-pin DIN MIDI connections. The OP has a P105, which only has USB.
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Yamaha P105 - 12/04/12 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: anotherscott

iRigMIDI provides standard 5-pin DIN MIDI connections. The OP has a P105, which only has USB.

Ah OK, sorry and thanks. I did not know that. Strange when the budget P35 does have midi?

Re: Yamaha P105 - 12/04/12 01:55 PM

Strange when the budget P35 does have midi?

Yeah, I think it's because they may have basically built the P35 on the foundation of the P95, and it "benefits" from their wanting to do as little redesign as possible, since their only goal was to make it cheaper, whereas with the 105, they were looking to make it "better."
Posted by: o0Ampy0o

Re: Yamaha P105 - 12/04/12 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: susanmusic
If you otherwise liked the P105 but also needed to use it as a midi controller, this should work (for a price tag of $179). Note that you would need the latest version of the firmware for the device to work with Yamaha products.

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI-Overview

BH Photo has it for $169.