Repeated note test - Kawai CA95

Posted by: pv88

Repeated note test - Kawai CA95 - 11/13/12 12:03 AM

Decided to post a new recording which is a repeated note test on the Kawai CA95 as there have been reports that the "Grand Feel" action is slow, or, sluggish. Since the wooden keys are longer and heavier (very close to the EX concert grand) it just takes more work to get the keys to respond.

Please note there is 13 seconds of silence before the playing starts:

https://www.box.com/s/i64fikl09xstp6iihox0

I have had no problems so far with getting the piano to sound notes as intended, in fast repetitions.
Posted by: Yuri Pavlov

Re: Repeated note test - Kawai CA95 - 11/13/12 02:17 AM

10 click at 1 sec - it is very-very fast!!!!
Posted by: DrAlan

Re: Repeated note test - Kawai CA95 - 11/13/12 02:22 AM

I have no trouble getting repeat notes but find some notes easier than others on my ( new) CA65, because the damper sensor position seems to vary a little key to key. For eg my middle C stops sounding on key release about 1 mm lower than some other notes ( including the D next to it). This requires more control of the key to avoid hitting the damper on the upstroke.
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Repeated note test - Kawai CA95 - 11/13/12 03:34 AM

DrAlan, assuming that you have not done so already, may I suggest that you report this issue to the dealer that sold you the instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Repeated note test - Kawai CA95 - 11/13/12 03:44 AM

Hi Kawai James, thanks for that advice. I'm assuming then that you think that this kind of variation is not normal?

I'm expecting a visit from my dealer in any case (at some stage) to listen to the hum from my transformer, so will mention it then (I haven't yet). Is there anything I can say to them if they tell me it is normal variation, wooden keys etc?

Regards

Alan

Re: Repeated note test - Kawai CA95 - 11/13/12 04:00 AM

Hello Alan,

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure that this is actually a problem.
However, by all means mention it to the dealer if you believe there is an issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Repeated note test - Kawai CA95 - 11/13/12 04:10 AM

Thanks James, by the way I think the CA65 is a great instrument (see my post #1985236) but I just have lots of questions - why does it do this, wonder why that happens, how does this work, what if..... :-)

So for one I'd be interested if other CA65/95 users experience this variation between keys.

Cheers

Alan

Re: Repeated note test - Kawai CA95 - 11/13/12 04:33 AM

Hello Alan,

I'm afraid I'm not an engineer, so am not terribly confident when it comes to answering 'why does this happen' style questions.

However, if you have any queries regarding the operation of the instrument, I'm your man. wink

Cheers,
James
x