New Yamaha P105: Help

Posted by: TechJack

New Yamaha P105: Help - 11/15/12 08:59 AM

I bought a new Yamaha P105, still going through some of the options. I have couple of questions, please help me if you can. Is there any way I can save the setting we change using the key combination so that it may survive a power cycle? I don't see any change when I turn on/off damper resonance, the user guide says it simulates a damper pedal/sustain notes. I probably misunderstood, can anybody explain this feature?

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: New Yamaha P105: Help - 11/15/12 01:59 PM

P19 of the user manual lists the things which are saved on a power cycle.

Do you have a damper pedal? Plug it in. Press it down, and hit a note, keep the pedal down but not the key. With the damper resonance option turned on, the note should continue (sustain) for a while even if you did not hold the key down but did hold the pedal down.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: New Yamaha P105: Help - 11/15/12 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
P19 of the user manual lists the things which are saved on a power cycle.

Do you have a damper pedal? Plug it in. Press it down, and hit a note, keep the pedal down but not the key. With the damper resonance option turned on, the note should continue (sustain) for a while even if you did not hold the key down but did hold the pedal down.

What you describe there is simply the way the damper (sustain) pedal operates on any keyboard, it is not a feature to enable, and it is not resonance. The resonance probably refers to the fact that, on a piano, striking a note sounds different with the pedal down than with the pedal up, because other strings vibrate, in addition to the ones directly associated with the key being struck... this phenomenon is actually called "sympathetic resonance" and the simulation of that characteristic is probably the feature that is being turned on and off. One might want to turn it off because it probably reduces polyphony (since the keyboard has to produce additional "notes" from the same number of key strikes).
Posted by: justjeff

Re: New Yamaha P105: Help - 11/18/12 12:24 AM

This is all true.

128 poly = shouldn't be an issue smile
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: New Yamaha P105: Help - 11/18/12 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: justjeff
This is all true.

128 poly = shouldn't be an issue smile

I agree. I was just theorizing about why they actually give you an option to disable it. It's not like it's something you can disable on a real,piano. ;-) Maybe they just think some people might not like the way it sounds..Which, now that I think of it, could be an issue depending on how good a job they did of simulating this phenomenon in the first place!