Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano

Posted by: btcomm

Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 12:14 PM

Anyone have any experience comparing the Acoustic Piano sound of the Nord Piano 2 and the Roland V-Piano? I briefly played the V but it had pretty crappy speakers hooked up and really couldn't get a feel for the piano sound as much as I'd like. I've heard the Nord Piano 2 has very large samples for the piano and of course the V is modeled but just wondering comparing just the sound of both acoustic pianos if the V is worth spending 3-4 grand more if only concerned about the sound.
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 12:49 PM

I've owned V-Piano and Nord Piano. I no longer own the V. This is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

My opinions are well documented on here in previous posts but my opinions may have no relationship to yours or anyone else's. Ask the store to set the VP up with some better near-field monitors or better still, play both pianos with (the same pair of) really decent headphones - and then you will have a level playing field upon which to judge them.

Good luck,

Steve
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 01:06 PM

Also, realize that the V-Piano was designed to work with four monitors, to get the optimal results. Not enough to simply hook up four monitors, though, since you also have to configure for them in the setup menu.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 02:11 PM

Just playing the main presets with headphones, I preferred the Nord. People have talked about the versatility or the Roland and how much can be adjusted to your tastes and so on, but I never had the chance to dive into it, so I can only talk about the out-of-the-box impression.

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 05:26 PM

I've never played the Nord and sure would like to try it out. The piano sounds of the Nord do sound pretty great at least when hearing them on YouTube. Anything has to sound better than my Roland FP-4 but I do like the FP-4's light touch. I'd have to say though unlike a lot of folks here that my main desire is a great acoustic piano sound and the touch secondary.
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 06:08 PM

Did you consider a VST piano?
Posted by: RafaPolit

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: btcomm
...I'd have to say though unlike a lot of folks here that my main desire is a great acoustic piano sound and the touch secondary.

Btcomm, I believe this is due to the fact that you get whatever action you purchase, but you can 'upgrade' the sound via software (as suggested by spanishbuddha above), so that's is why some of us tend to favor action over sound.

I have no idea what type of action is in the Nord, but from what I have heard on demos and posts, its sound is really the best 'on board' sound I have heard. The V-Piano, since its modeled, can actually be tweaked into different sounds, but there is a base 'tendency' that is characteristic of its sounds (from what I've heard), which you either love or don't smile .

Considering the amount you are talking about, its worth testing both with headphones and spending some time with them. Good luck with your choice.

Rafa.

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 08:54 PM

I really like what I hear about the Nord but as you say I will have to test out both in more detail.

I do realize you can get much better sound from VST but I guess I'm a little lazy and don't want to deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it at this time. If all else fails, yeh I might end up with a VST piano.

Thanks for the advise guys -- much appreciated.
Posted by: Macy

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/17/12 11:56 PM

I do realize you can get much better sound from VST but I guess I'm a little lazy and don't want to deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it at this time. If all else fails, yeh I might end up with a VST piano.

Your choice of course. But initially it seemed like you were considering spending an extra $3K-4K just to get better acoustic sound. For $1K you could buy a new computer and a far better sounding VST (IMO). I don't know what "deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it" means to you exactly, but I would consider that trivial effort.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 08:27 AM

I do like the FP-4's light touch.

I would say that both the Nord Piano and VPiano have a better feel than the FP4, including for people who specifically like a light touch.

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 11:08 AM

Macy, my "deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it" is my limited space and my living arrangement at this time so I'll leave it at that and as for spending 3-4 grand extra for the V that was more of a thought and not really a reality. I have in the back of my mind been thinking the Nord sounded better at least from videos but haven't tried one out yet and was just asking players here who have more experience than me with both of these models. But like I said earlier, I may still some time in the near future consider a VST set-up.

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 11:21 AM

anotherscott ------

Regarding the touch/action of the Nord, I'd love to try one out but can't seem to find one yet in my area. I like the action on the FP-4, not too heavy at all and not synth-like and hope when I do try out the Nord it has at least a little balanced weighted hammer action.
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 11:23 AM

I think the Nord does sound better. It sounds more real and has some genuine variety in its piano sounds. There, I've said it! But it's not necessarily the better thing. The V-Piano's main weapon is its extraordinary dynamics and sense of nuance and far superior key action. But of course it is a product of very much higher price - so it should be better in every respect (which it isn't).

You might be very wise to wait until January and see what materialises at NAMM. If a very good quality controller keyboard should appear (let's imagine from Kawai) then the combination of that and some decent software running on a dedicated laptop will destroy the sounds in the Nord and V-Piano - all for a price comfortably below that of the V-Piano (in fact perhaps not that much more than the cost of the Nord Piano 2).
Posted by: krzyzowski

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 11:51 AM

The Nord is trully a Hoot. Like a Porsche. Plug in some power and it does it all. Love that aftertouch! Contemporary music needs a "certain created" sound style that dedicated pianos can't produce. The action is what it needs to be for a stage board.
As for the V, now that is IMHO one of the finest DP out there. The action is close enough to a renner, so you can play it for the rest of your life and not feel the need to "upgrade".
Too many plunk a key and think: "is it live or Memorex?" These are both superb cutting edge boards that the music of the last 200 years can be played on without reservation.
Get both and never look back. They are cheaper than some living room furniture..

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 11:53 AM

EssBrace ---

I definitely will wait and see -- thanks.
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: krzyzowski
The action is what it needs to be for a stage board.

Yes precisely. The OP cares about the sound, but under what conditions? The action does not bring out the best under studio or even home conditions. I think someone else hooked up another better DP action to the NP, via midi, and was amazed.
Posted by: 36251

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I do like the FP-4's light touch.

I would say that both the Nord Piano and VPiano have a better feel than the FP4, including for people who specifically like a light touch.
To each his own. I think FP-4 is the a wonderful action. No bottoming out. I easily go from FP4 to my N2 without any loss of control. I think the Nord action blows and the V bottoms out too much.

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 08:43 PM

Macy, my "deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it" is my limited space and my living arrangement at this time so I'll leave it at that ... But like I said earlier, I may still some time in the near future consider a VST set-up.

If you ever do want to go that way and need/want to solve any space issues, a Mac Mini (7.7" x 7.7" x 1.4") and an iPad to act as the Mac Mini's wireless display, virtual keyboard, and virtual touchpad is a really ideal, incredibly tiny VST-host solution, and you can position the iPad on your keyboard to display your sheet music too. I'll never go back to using paper for music scores again.
Posted by: Possum SP280Krome

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
I think the Nord does sound better. It sounds more real and has some genuine variety in its piano sounds. There, I've said it! But it's not necessarily the better thing. The V-Piano's main weapon is its extraordinary dynamics and sense of nuance and far superior key action. But of course it is a product of very much higher price - so it should be better in every respect (which it isn't).

You might be very wise to wait until January and see what materialises at NAMM. If a very good quality controller keyboard should appear (let's imagine from Kawai) then the combination of that and some decent software running on a dedicated laptop will destroy the sounds in the Nord and V-Piano - all for a price comfortably below that of the V-Piano (in fact perhaps not that much more than the cost of the Nord Piano 2).

Forgot about NAMM so soon! I wonder what will be arriving
Posted by: slowtraveler

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/18/12 09:09 PM

Macy,

Which iOS app do you prefer for controlling the Mac Mini?

Regards,

Ben

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/19/12 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: slowtraveler
Macy,

Which iOS app do you prefer for controlling the Mac Mini?

Regards,

Ben

I've been experimenting. I'm using Mocha VNC right now, and will try (Real) VNC Viewer soon. It really boils down to personal preference on how you like to make mouse movements and move around the Mac desktop on the iPad touchscreen. There are so many VNC iPad apps for controlling a Mac its almost ridiculous. I don't how to pick the "best" but I only want to use one that is pure VNC and works with the Mac built-in VNC Screen Sharing, i.e. not one that requires a proprietary server program to be loaded on the Mac.

BTW, I'm currently using an iMac for my pianos, but it's 2 years old so I'll be giving it to my grand-daughters and switching to the Mac Mini/iPad. I currently do all the piano iMac setup using VNC Screen Sharing from the Mac Pro in my den anyway and seldom use the keyboard sitting next to the iMac and only use its mouse to control the piano programs while I'm playing.
Posted by: slowtraveler

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 11/19/12 08:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Macy

I've been experimenting. I'm using Mocha VNC right now, and will try (Real) VNC Viewer soon...

Thanks for sharing that. There is an unreasonable profusion of these VNC apps floating around.

The combination of Mini/iPad/software piano with the right keyboard is extremely appealing. I'm pretty certain that's the direction I want to go next. Looking forward to NAMM for some good news about MIDI controllers.

Regards,

B.
Posted by: Doug M.

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 12/02/14 08:38 AM

Anyone have any experience comparing the Acoustic Piano sound of the Nord Piano 2 and the Roland V-Piano? I briefly played the V but it had pretty crappy speakers hooked up and really couldn't get a feel for the piano sound as much as I'd like. I've heard the Nord Piano 2 has very large samples for the piano and of course the V is modeled but just wondering comparing just the sound of both acoustic pianos if the V is worth spending 3-4 grand more if only concerned about the sound.

Few points:
1) What's most important for you? Do you want a playing experience more similar to playing a grand piano, or, do you really like a particular sound? Sound is very subjective. I've grown up with the Yamaha sound and picked the Tyros 5 grand piano in a blind test in comparison to Nord Stage 2, which was quite a surprise to me. Blind test: Nord vs. Korg vs. Roland vs. Yamaha piano sounds

2) For best comparison, you'll need to wear expensive headphones. As even top quality headphones vary in how they suit an instrument like the v-piano/AvantGrand/Nord P2 etc, that might take a bit of research.

3) Playing around with digital EQ's, DSPs, and other effects parameters is a great way to improve the sound to match your taste.

4) The basic v-piano out of the box isn't tweaked. By changing the parameters to remove the perfection (how each note is exactly perfect, homogeneous), you can vastly improve the sound. However, if you don't like the quality of the sound, tweaking won't make a difference. It is difficult to go to a music store and tweak a v-piano; however, some people have posted their alterations online, for instance: v-piano tweaking .

5) What are you going to do with the stage piano you buy? Are you gigging or just playing at home? If it's a home piano, you could also try the Kawai MP11, that has a nice action and can be tweaked to sound pretty competitive with the Nord.

Leaving the cost out of the equation, first ask yourself what you want, what's important to you? Is it action, dynamic response, or sound? You could always buy a second hand v-piano if you decide you like it. I actually like the sound of the V-piano, but am not too keen on the Supernatural Roland grand piano sound. The Nord samples are good and the action reasonable (not great, but ok). What's cool about the Nord is the layout of the nobs (for live performance) and effects you can apply. I had good fun for about 40 minutes playing with the Nord's effects at the store. A V-piano is more fun to play as a piano, more involving, but needs to be set up well to appreciate. Also, the V is a bit of a beast to carry around.
Posted by: 36251

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 12/02/14 09:34 AM

zombie thread. Interesting what OP finally did?
Posted by: leafhound

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 12/02/14 09:35 AM

I gave up on the VST lark, one must be a tech wizard to run virtual pianos and controllers.
Posted by: toddy

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 12/02/14 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: leafhound
I gave up on the VST lark, one must be a tech wizard to run virtual pianos and controllers.

This is an intriguing comment because, first, this is a thread about two digital pianos, not involving VSTs at all. And, second, because in your footer note, you claim to have an M-Audio controller and Ableton, a very complex and advanced virtual studio itself.

Whereas there are lots of people on this forum running VSTs with a basic Yamaha or Casio DP and Galaxy Vintage D or Pianoteq, say, in the computer - I'm not sure they count themselves as 'tech wizards'.
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 12/02/14 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: leafhound

Maybe 5-10 years ago, however I don't believe this is the case today.

Most modern computers are powerful enough to run virtual piano software out of the box (using ASIO4All for lower latency under Windows), while controllers can be connected with a single USB cable - it's very much plug & play.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: fizikisto

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 12/02/14 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: krzyzowski
The Nord is trully a Hoot. Like a Porsche. Plug in some power and it does it all. Love that aftertouch!

Just to be clear, I think the Nord piano doesn't have aftertouch, but the Nord stage 2 does. Also, I don't know if mine is typical, but my nord stage 2 requires an ungodly amount of force to get the aftertouch to activate. It's very unpleasant to use, not comfortable at all.
Posted by: Dave Weiser

Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano - 12/03/14 07:28 AM

You might want to consider the Kurzweil Forte if you're looking at boards in this price range. Blows them both away imho.
(I'm biased, I worked on the Forte.)

Here's the review from Keyboard Mag:
http://www.keyboardmag.com/combo---do-all/1191/kurzweil-forte-reviewed/49389

Audio demos:
http://kurzweil.com/product/forte/audio/