Galaxy 2 Pianos ???

Posted by: musicmad

Galaxy 2 Pianos ??? - 11/22/12 05:50 AM

Hi

With regard to Galaxy 2 and Vintage D Pianos assuming anyone has this library installed? It confirms the Galaxy ll and Vintage D Library can be dragged to another volume without having to reinstall.

I've installed Galaxy 2 and the Vintage D on a Macbook but now wish to move the Libraries to an External Drive for better performance. However instead of dragging the library to the external drive, if i wanted to make a fresh install to the the External Drive would this be classed as installing on a 2nd computer?

It states below

You can install and activate Galaxy II on two computers.
Please note that while you may install Galaxy II on two computers
only a single user should be using the machines and only one machine at a time.
Posted by: MacMacMac

Re: Galaxy 2 Pianos ??? - 11/22/12 06:50 AM

Yes, you can move the libraries to another drive. If you're running Kontakt ... you'll have to tell Kontakt the new library location.
Posted by: gvfarns

Re: Galaxy 2 Pianos ??? - 11/22/12 09:02 PM

You can move them. I have done it.

Also, it doesn't seem like they enforce rules about numbers of activations. I have activated a number of times on several of my computers and it never complains. They are a bit loosy goosy about it, from what I can tell. My guess is that unless you get a TON of activations, you don't get flagged as a problem and they just let you go ahead. Their more easygoing attitude about DRM is one of the primary reasons I chose Galaxy instead of, for example, Ivory. More anal retention on the manufacturer's part means more hassle for us.
Posted by: Nomadness

Re: Galaxy 2 Pianos ??? - 11/23/12 01:40 AM

And no iLok key! Thanks for the additional data point, gvfarns... I've been listening to Galaxy demos for the past few days and love them (especially Vintage D and Giant)... that clinches it. I only need my on-board computers, but it's nice to know there's no head-butting during upgrades or migrations. I have had all kinds of problems with FileMaker over that sort of thing, with an authentication server (now mercifully extinct) making life after a crash even more difficult.

Question: with Galaxy, does the "player" come with it as a single package, or do I also need to acquire Kontakt Player separately from Native Instruments and then treat Galaxy as an add-on?

Thanks,
Steve
Posted by: gvfarns

Re: Galaxy 2 Pianos ??? - 11/23/12 02:51 PM

Kontakt player comes on the same CD (or download) and then you will use the native instruments updater to get it to the latest version. Or you can download from their website, IIRC. Either one. The player version of Kontakt is free and easily available. It just requires

I personally own and use Vintage D, but did not end up getting the main Galaxy suite. Unlike Ivory, Galaxy will actually sell you the individual pianos from their main suite (Giant and Vintage D are separate from the suite always). I personally liked the main Galaxy Steinway voice pretty well. I was less impressed with the Bosendorfer and especially the Bluthner.
Posted by: Nomadness

Re: Galaxy 2 Pianos ??? - 11/23/12 06:01 PM

Excellent... thank you!
Posted by: musicmad

Re: Galaxy 2 Pianos ??? - 11/26/12 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Yes, you can move the libraries to another drive. If you're running Kontakt ... you'll have to tell Kontakt the new library location.

Yes i understand it's possible to drag the library to another drive, my point was if not to drag but make a fresh DVD install to the external drive, will that be classed as installing on a 2nd computer ?

I ask because in 2 months i will be wanting to install the library again on a newly purchased iMac and would like this to be the legitimate 2nd install without issues. But if making a fresh DVD install to the external drive messes this up ? i won't do it.

Do you get my point ?
Sorry for the confusion.