Yamaha YDP-S51 Feedback?

Posted by: Rufous1

Yamaha YDP-S51 Feedback? - 12/11/12 08:01 PM

I am in the market for a DP. I am re-starting my studies after a long hiatus, and would like to get my daughter involved as well. I am looking at a Yamaha YDP-S51, but have not been able to find any feedback at all. It appears to be a very good product for the price ($1400 CAD). The feel of the keys felt good, and the sound was full and bright up and down the keyboard.

Any thoughts on this? Any user experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: nameofthewave

Re: Yamaha YDP-S51 Feedback? - 12/12/12 08:52 AM

I have only ever played this on a shopfloor but I have to say I was really impressed with the design and sound. It seemed like a really well built and compact unit, and the sound through headphones was particularly expressive. I thought it compared very well to the considerably more expensive Clavinovas. You might also want to compare against the Kawai CN24 which is similarly priced (at least in the UK).

Re: Yamaha YDP-S51 Feedback? - 12/12/12 11:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It has now become a horse race between this unit and the Roland FP-7F. Price is definitely a step up to the Roland (~$1,400 vs. ~2,200 w/ stand). However, I really like the keyboard action, the ivory style keys, and the sound engine for the grand piano. It definitely sounds like a step up.

Any thoughts on this?
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Yamaha YDP-S51 Feedback? - 12/12/12 03:46 PM

If you're considering the Roland FP-7F, how about the Kawai ES7 with stand and triple pedal unit accessories?

James
x

Re: Yamaha YDP-S51 Feedback? - 12/12/12 05:28 PM

I haven't seen any of the Kawai. Why do you recommend this piano?
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Yamaha YDP-S51 Feedback? - 12/12/12 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Rufous1
I haven't seen any of the Kawai. Why do you recommend this piano?

Because I work for the company that produces them. wink

Oh, and also because I believe Kawai's quality, performance, and value is very good.

Cheers,
James
x