digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems?

Posted by: New NewB

digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/11/12 08:18 PM

Hi. It just occurred to me that when I've seen demos of most DPs, the player reaches forward a little and changes sounds or adjustments while playing.

I don't think this could be done with the Kawai CA65. However, I don't know how often I'd really be doing that so don't think it would be a deal breaker.

Have any of you felt hindered by this design format?
Posted by: ando

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/11/12 08:26 PM

I can't say it's ever bothered me. Of course, the reason they do it is so the control panel isn't staring you in the face while you are playing. The manufacturers are trying to create a real piano-playing experience so they decide to tuck the controls out of your field of view so your can preserve the illusion that you are playing an acoustic piano. Makes sense to me, but I guess it depends how much you like to fiddle with the controls.
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/11/12 08:36 PM

ando is spot on.

For a stage piano or workstation that often requires constant changing of sounds and settings, I believe it is sensible to have controls placed in front of the player. However, for a console type instrument, where the player will typically select a sound or change a setting and then play for an extended period of time, placing the controls out of the way is rather more aesthetically pleasing.

Just my 2 yen.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: HwyStar

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/11/12 09:20 PM

I agree about having them to the side but why put the controls on the left when 90% of the world population is right handed?
Posted by: PianoWorksATL

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/11/12 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: HwyStar
I agree about having them to the side but why put the controls on the left when 90% of the world population is right handed?
It's a conspiracy by us lefties. Most of us have learned to function in a right-handed world, so it's really more for our amusement (to watch poor righties struggle) than for our benefit while playing. grin
Posted by: pv88

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/11/12 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
It's a conspiracy by us lefties. Most of us have learned to function in a right-handed world, so it's really more for our amusement (to watch poor righties struggle) than for our benefit while playing. grin

+1
Posted by: o0Ampy0o

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/11/12 10:34 PM

I think they put the controls on the left because the right-handed player will have a hand on the keys to plunk out sounds while making adjustments.

It is just a guess.
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/12/12 07:30 AM

Originally Posted By: New NewB
Hi. It just occurred to me that when I've seen demos of most DPs, the player reaches forward a little and changes sounds or adjustments while playing.

I don't think this could be done with the Kawai CA65. However, I don't know how often I'd really be doing that so don't think it would be a deal breaker.

Have any of you felt hindered by this design format?

I think we need a big old war. Or maybe a world-threatening infection, famine or other natural disaster. Maybe then we'd worry about things worthy of being worried about! I can't believe this could or would ever be an issue for anyone!
Posted by: Vectistim

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/12/12 11:59 AM

OT: but to me lots of these things seem to be designed to favour the left handed:
Knife and fork: the fork that aims hot food and spikes at my face is in my left hand (when right handed people use a spoon they use their right hand, so why not fork in the dominant hand, like those of us who are right in the head)

Piano: The right hand plays the tune, which the brain is thinking about anyway

Stringed instruments: The left hand does the note selection.
Posted by: ando

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/12/12 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Vectistim

OT: but to me lots of these things seem to be designed to favour the left handed:
Knife and fork: the fork that aims hot food and spikes at my face is in my left hand (when right handed people use a spoon they use their right hand, so why not fork in the dominant hand, like those of us who are right in the head)

Why? Because it's more important to be skilled when you are wielding a knife compared to a fork!
Posted by: Aeons Holle

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/12/12 02:21 PM

In regard to the OP post:
No, I don't feel hindered by the design, but rather like the fact that the buttons and lighted display is not straight in my vision (as it was on my Yamaha CLP).
I don't require to change sounds while playing (just as one does not with a real piano...).

I actually would have liked my CA95 to feature a small lid for the controls like the CS9 to completely hide the controls. Now that looks nice. Also as I assume based on comments in the thread regarding the pedal distance of the CAs Kawai wanted to build these models as slim as possible.

Why are the buttons on the left side?
Obviously because on the right side there is not enough space, and the little space there is already occupied by power button and volume slider... wink
Posted by: joflah

Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? - 12/12/12 04:09 PM

I think that all controls should be located behind, beneath, or above the keys. The 88 keys and their standard dimensions set a minimum width for a piano, and it has to be a bit wider just for structure. Adding another 5 inches or so to the width seems like a bad choice.