Next software after Galaxy Vintage D

Posted by: snowbird122

Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/27/12 01:35 PM

Thank you to everyone on this forum. I'm a lurker and you have taught me a lot. I recently pulled the trigger and made a purchase.

I really loved the Roland RD700NX, but just couldn't swing the high price point. I play for fun and relaxation at home. Instead, I bought an AKAI MPK88 and Galaxy Vintage D. I know the AKAI has a bad reputation here, but for me, it is great. This combination has brought me a lot of joy and I'm confident I made the right choice for now.

I do, however, find myself longing for the cool layered sounds that I tried out on the 700NX. Is there any piece of software that can emulate the presents (with the layers) of the 700NX? Right now, I only have Vintage D, and I'm just looking for more high quality sounds.
Posted by: Qbert

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/27/12 01:41 PM

You can layer Vintage D and any other VST with any PC hosts or DAWs, as Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools and thousands of others.

Anyway, I found a good HW keyboard emulation with Halion Sonic. It should come from Motif sound coders.
Posted by: torhu

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/27/12 03:54 PM

Did you try the pads that are included in Vintage D itself? Maybe that's more limited than what you had in mind, but it's easy to try it out and see.
Posted by: snowbird122

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/29/12 07:05 PM

I did try those pads, but I'm really looking for the layered presets I heard on the 700NX, or something like it. The Halion Sonic looks really good. Anything else come to mind?
Posted by: o0Ampy0o

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/30/12 04:44 AM

Do you have a budget in mind?

HALion Sonic is definitely worth looking at.

Another route is to purchase a DAW that comes with a variety of plug-ins like Cubase or Logic Studio and have the ability to record.

You could also take the Kontakt or even Komplete route.

Or you could do all of it.
Posted by: Bane

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/30/12 07:53 AM

If you're interested in HAlion Sonic, then remember the Cubase series as low as Elements includes tons of sounds from the lite version called HAlion Sonic SE.
Posted by: EO3

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/30/12 08:53 AM

Originally Posted By: snowbird122
Right now, I only have Vintage D, and I'm just looking for more high quality sounds.

Do you really find Vintage D sounds too low quality? I was under impression that Vintage D is basically the best thing out there from virtual-music instrument-piano. But, well, it's all subjective of course.
Posted by: fizikisto

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/30/12 09:04 AM

EO3, I think snowbird meant that he wanted additional high quality sounds. Strings and such, to layer with the Vintage D, not sounds to replace it necessarily.
Posted by: dmd

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/30/12 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
EO3, I think snowbird meant that he wanted additional high quality sounds. Strings and such, to layer with the Vintage D, not sounds to replace it necessarily.

I think he mean't that he wants MORE (as in additional) high quality sounds, like Vintage D.
Posted by: EO3

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/30/12 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: dmd
Originally Posted By: fizikisto

I think he mean't that he wants MORE (as in additional) high quality sounds, like Vintage D.

Oh, yeah, got it. smile
Posted by: o0Ampy0o

Re: Next software after Galaxy Vintage D - 12/30/12 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bane
If you're interested in HAlion Sonic, then remember the Cubase series as low as Elements includes tons of sounds from the lite version called HAlion Sonic SE.

Good point, I don't know about Elements however Cubase Artist and full version Cubase come with a free trial of HALion Sonic. If you decide to upgrade to the full version HS there is a break in the price compared with buying HS and Cubase (or another DAW) separately.

EDIT: The boxed vs. download versions come with an HS trial (disc).

Also a trial of The Grand if interested.

It is a $50 discount upgrading to the full version of HS and a $150 discount upgrading to the full version of The Grand.