Wich audio interface to buy?

Posted by: Javi Cazua

Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/06/13 07:42 PM

What audio interface (or thing) would you use for connecting a Kawai MP10, a Mic, a PC and some studio monitors?
Posted by: thercman

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/06/13 08:03 PM

Currently I use and Allen & Heath ZED14 mixer. There are many smaller interfaces out there that have only a couple inputs but you will outgrow it quickly. I outgrew mine after a few months. The most important thing to note regarding mixers is the quality of the preamps. A bad preamp will equal noise in your end recording. So depending on your budget there are many decent mixers in the $250 plus range. Mackie, Allen & Heath, Yamaha all have pretty good preamps with the Allen & Heath having the most head room.
Posted by: gvfarns

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/06/13 08:08 PM

Commonly used USB interfaces among forum members:

* Presonus audiobox USB
* M-Audio Fast Track Pro
* Focusrite scarlett 2i2

Not sure if all these can record from the mic and the piano at the same time, though. Might need to get a slightly higher end version with more inputs.
Posted by: thercman

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/06/13 08:41 PM

The Focusrite scarlett 2i2 is the one I sold. For $80 more you would be better served with a mixer such as this. IMO http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-profx12-professional-compact-mixer
Posted by: dmd

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/06/13 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: thercman
The Focusrite scarlett 2i2 is the one I sold. For $80 more you would be better served with a mixer such as this. IMO http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-profx12-professional-compact-mixer

What is it that "better serves" with the one you recommend over the 2i2 ?

Just more inputs ?
Posted by: slowtraveler

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/06/13 11:34 PM

The Mackie ProFX12 is quite nice, but its USB interface is limited to two channels. Basically, it allows you to send only its main stereo output to your computer, rather than individual input channels. This makes it problematic to use for multi-track recording.

If all you ever want to do is record a stereo mix of live piano/vocal performance, the ProFX12 will work fine. It's also a handy box to have for live gigs and small sound reinforcement applications.

If, however, your main intended application is desktop recording, and you want to edit and process vocal and piano tracks separately in your DAW software, you might wish to consider using an audio interface that supports multi-channel audio over its USB connection.

For instance, if you want to record stereo audio from the MP10 together with vocals from one mic, each on a separate track in your DAW software, you'll need an interface with three or more simultaneous analog audio inputs, and three or more channels of output over its USB connection.

Most interface boxes provide I/O channels in increments of two. There are several good desktop 4-in/4-out USB audio interfaces available, that also provide headphone and line-level monitor outputs.

Take a look at the PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL and the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Both have enough I/O to let you record stereo piano and vocals into separate tracks of your DAW software, and plenty of monitoring capabilities. Street prices are under $300 US. I notice that Sweetwater currently has the AudioBox 44VSL bundled with the well-regarded Studio One DAW software.

Kind regards,

Ben
Posted by: Javi Cazua

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/07/13 01:32 AM

I've been reading reviews, and ProSonus AudioBox 44VSL and the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 seems like two of the best option to go.
Does anyone has any really good, or really bad experience with either of those? What about the software and drivers they come with?

Thank you all!
Posted by: BarryR

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/07/13 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Javi Cazua
I've been reading reviews, and ProSonus AudioBox 44VSL and the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 seems like two of the best option to go.
Does anyone has any really good, or really bad experience with either of those? What about the software and drivers they come with?

Thank you all!

I use the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 ..It is bulletproof...We also have the Presonus Fire Project for my wifes drums..Also, flawless..
Now the question will be firewire or USB...?? Are you using a MAC or PC...??
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/07/13 08:32 AM

One word of caution: if you go with the lower-end USB interfaces($40) be prepared to have it fail at some point or another and need replacing. I went through 2 or 3 of these.
Posted by: Hideki Matsui

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/07/13 09:31 AM

I'm using the Apogee Quartet with a Mac. Really great interface for Mac users.
Posted by: Bane

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/07/13 03:23 PM

Presonus, Tascam, and M-Audio are all quality interfaces. However, I am biased to Steinberg units as their drivers get insanely low latency.
Posted by: Temperament

Re: Wich audio interface to buy? - 01/07/13 05:58 PM

I am using EMU0404USB (4 ys old, was 200 EUR) with Genelec8020s (600 EUR), EMU PS12 sub. (400 EUR) + Sennheiser HD650 headphones (450 EUR). I am doing no mixing (should be possible with 2 mics), very nice sound. Not thinking about update of any of them at the moment.