Layered soundfont files

Posted by: TecFlip

Layered soundfont files - 01/06/13 08:47 PM

I have dowloaded a soundfont file that has layers. I believe it is the yamaha ydp200... and it has layer, layer 1 through layer 5. How would i layer these? I am using MusE and qsynth. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Layered soundfont files - 01/07/13 03:03 PM

Nothing?
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Layered soundfont files - 01/07/13 07:57 PM

To be honest, I don't fully understand your question.

Can you provide a little more information about what you are hoping to achieve, and the stage you've reached so far?

James
x
Posted by: sullivang

Re: Layered soundfont files - 01/07/13 08:13 PM

It could be velocity layers - not seperate sounds that you layer together. I.e - it might have 5 velocity zones, such that as you vary the force with which you play, different samples are triggered, corresponding to the velocity zone. If so, it's just one instrument, and you simply play it. ;^)

Greg.

Re: Layered soundfont files - 01/07/13 09:11 PM

I open the soundfont file with muse and i get different piano sounds called layer, layer 1, layer 2 and so on to layer 5. the all sound a tad different. I suppose they are all made to play together. How would i accomplish this?
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Layered soundfont files - 01/07/13 09:30 PM

There should be a way to assign each layer of sounds to play at certain key velocity ranges.

However, I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with using soundfonts in order to assist further. Was there no documentation included with the samples explaining how to load the data into a sample player?

Cheers,
James
x
Posted by: sullivang

Re: Layered soundfont files - 01/07/13 10:22 PM

Indeed - it appears that your sample player is either not properly interpreting the Soundfont, or you haven't configured something properly. If the Soundfont is presented as a folder hierachy, though, have you tried clicking on the top level folder, and then playing it? If that works, see if you can detect the tone changing as you vary the playing strength. (the volume should of course change, but aside from that, there should be a tonal change as well).

I know absolutely nothing about those two pieces of software - sorry.

A free Soundfont player (as a VST plugin - not a standalone program) that I am pretty confident in working properly is SFZ

The fact that the various layers sound similar does give me confidence that it's a single instrument with different velocity zones though. If the Soundfont uses filtering to blend the layers, you may not notice any abrupt change in tone, though. (once you are able to play it properly)

Greg.

Re: Layered soundfont files - 01/08/13 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
There should be a way to assign each layer of sounds to play at certain key velocity ranges.

However, I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with using soundfonts in order to assist further. Was there no documentation included with the samples explaining how to load the data into a sample player?

Cheers,
James
x

None. I think I may be able to open up multiple midi tracks and assign each on their own sound.