question on pedal board for Casio PX 350

Posted by: BillTheSlink

question on pedal board for Casio PX 350 - 01/07/13 05:42 PM

I understand I may not have the skill to make the center pedal do its job but shouldn't the soft-pedal (the far left pedal) make a noticeable difference in the volume of keys being struck? The sustain pedal on the far right is working, but I'm concerned the center pedal and far left pedal is not working. I just got the stand and panel unit set up Friday and have played with it for two days. I would hate to take it all apart and send it all back, as I bought it as a single unit, but if it's not working I don't have any other option. Does anyone have any experience with this unit. Does the soft-pedal make any noticeable difference for you, or is a subtle nuance?
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: question on pedal board for Casio PX 350 - 01/07/13 07:49 PM

It's quite a subtle effect - perhaps more subtle than you are expecting?

Note that some instruments allow the 'strength' of the soft pedal to be adjusted in order to create a more pronounced effect.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: question on pedal board for Casio PX 350 - 01/07/13 09:01 PM

Thank You James. As always your a fountain of information. ;)I am hard of hearing so it is unlikely I'll pick up a subtle effect. I admit I haven't tried it through my headphones, perhaps I'll notice it that way. I will also look through my manual to see if it can be adjusted, but I do not think with the Casio it can; I might be wrong on that though. As far as the center pedal as a total beginner I don't think I can time it correctly to strike the notes the same time as the pedal, so I certainly won't judge that.

Thank you for your help.
Bill
Posted by: xorbe

Re: question on pedal board for Casio PX 350 - 01/07/13 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BillTheSlink
As far as the center pedal as a total beginner I don't think I can time it correctly to strike the notes the same time as the pedal, so I certainly won't judge that.

The center pedal should be trivial to test:

(1) Strike a note and hold it down.
(2) Press center pedal and hold it down.
(3) Release key and note should continue.
(4) Press and depress other keys, and they should not sustain.

(And of course, do it quickly if using a piano sound, since it's a Casio. BA-DUM!)
Posted by: Charles Cohen

Re: question on pedal board for Casio PX 350 - 01/08/13 12:46 PM

I've tried the "soft" pedal on my PX-350. The effect is small -- just noticeable, not much. I don't think there's a menu option for "Soft pedal depth" -- would be nice to have.

Xorbe's timing is the correct sequence. Except (2) should say:

. . . Press center pedal and hold it down.

On an acoustic piano, there's a device that, when pressed, locks "up" the dampers that are "up" at the moment it's pressed. That's the "sostenuto" pedal.

. Charles

Re: question on pedal board for Casio PX 350 - 01/09/13 09:20 AM

Center pedal works, and well I might add. Lots of sustain. Thanks for the info guys and helping a newbie out.