What is the fastest action?

Posted by: reza

What is the fastest action? - 01/18/13 08:19 PM

Hi everybody and thanks for this great community.

I am wondering if I want to select a Digital Piano just based on its action's ability to repeat notes faster, what would be your top choices?

What about acoustic pianos? Is repeating a note too fast can introduce damages to piano action in a long period?

every other recommendations welcomed.

Thanks
Reza
Posted by: Dr Popper

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/18/13 08:53 PM

Roland PHAIII
Posted by: ap55

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/19/13 09:17 AM

and you compare to ?
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/19/13 10:21 AM

I also think PHA-III is probably the fastest digital piano action. I've owned pianos with pretty much all the actions.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/19/13 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
I also think PHA-III is probably the fastest digital piano action. I've owned pianos with pretty much all the actions.

Have you compared it to the Yamaha NW-Stage? (CP1, CP5) That's the other action that felt light and quick to me, though I only played it briefly.

Of course, if I were to pick a keybed "just based on its action's ability to repeat notes faster" there are unweighted boards that are much faster than any of the weighted actions. Unfortunately, they suck for all the other aspects of piano technique!
Posted by: peterws

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/19/13 12:56 PM

I don`t think I ever need to ask this question . . .
Posted by: KLSinCT

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/19/13 01:56 PM

+1 thumb

K.
Posted by: spanishbuddha

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/19/13 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: peterws
I don`t think I ever need to ask this question . . .

+1 wink
Posted by: malonkevio

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/19/13 10:05 PM

I've owned pianos with pretty much all the actions.
Posted by: reza

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/20/13 03:59 AM

Thanks everybody for recommendations.

It seems that Roland PHA-III is the winner. I will also consider Yamaha CP1/CP5. Nord Piano/Stage II is still in my list but I know that the action is not comparable with PHA-III and may be it is one of the slowest actions within DPs. But somehow I cannot resist.

@ap55
I am comparing it to a keyboard action with no hammer action. But as ANOTHERSCOTT said, the synth actions are fast but "they suck for all the other aspects of piano technique!". I need to compromise but I want to make sure that I am choosing a fast action within DPs.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/20/13 04:35 AM

reza, the rule of thumb for buying any keyboard is to play it first, period.

Play the keyboards in question yourself and make up your own mind.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/20/13 08:58 AM

Originally Posted By: reza
Nord Piano/Stage II is still in my list but I know that the action is not comparable with PHA-III and may be it is one of the slowest actions within DPs. But somehow I cannot resist.

I would not consider the Nord Piano to be a slow action. I'd say the slower/heavier actions are the Yamaha GH models, Kawai MP6/MP10, Roland Ivory Feel-G, Korg RH3, Fatar TP100 (used in some Nord, Kurzweil, and Numa models).
Posted by: Vectistim

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/20/13 10:35 AM

What sort of music are you playing such that repetition speed has such a high priority? And how agile are your fingers for this to potentially be an issue?
Posted by: EssBrace

Re: What is the fastest action? - 01/20/13 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: anotherscott

Have you compared it to the Yamaha NW-Stage? (CP1, CP5) That's the other action that felt light and quick to me, though I only played it briefly.

I haven't compared them back-to-back. You are right, subjectively the CP5 action feels quick too. I also agree with you about the Nord's action - it is certainly not a slow action. The Roland Ivory Feel-G is a bit syrupy. I find Yamaha GH3 quite snappy but just too darn heavy.

I would have said the MP10 action is a tad slow but mine has really loosened up now (in a good way) and it feels much more percussive and agile than when it was new - unless it's just my perception that has developed over time. It seems to bottom out in a less mushy way as if the felt has compacted and hardened a bit. I'm now extremely happy with the Kawai action.

But I would give the nod to PHA-III for out-and-out agility and speed (albeit simply less nice than the Kawai).