is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos?

Posted by: zapper

is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 01/19/13 06:01 PM

I mean sound wise, do you think this will be upgrade?
I am tempted by hardware features of kronos as well as better
user interface and probably better workflow but as far as the sounds I don't see benefits at all.
Posted by: anotherscott

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 01/19/13 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: zapper
I mean sound wise, do you think this will be upgrade?
I am tempted by hardware features of kronos as well as better
user interface and probably better workflow but as far as the sounds I don't see benefits at all.

It depends on the sounds that you're after. For example, if you're into organs and EPs, I think the Kronos sounds better, but if you're into orchestral instruments, I think Yamaha still has the edge.
Posted by: Dr Popper

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 01/19/13 06:56 PM

Wait a bit ......
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 01/19/13 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
Wait a bit ......

A bit? As in a few days?
Posted by: JFP

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 03/18/13 06:31 AM

I think he means until the Musik Messe in Germany in April. Probably a lot of new stuff coming out.

By the way - perhaps it's posted somewhere already, but couldn't find it:

Does the RH3 on the Kronos have three sensors for fast repetition ? I guess that's where the 3 in RH3 stands for ? Or it's simply called RH3 because the previous model was RH2. I played a Kronos 88 a while ago and thought the action was rather spongy : quite slow return and feeling you push into some rubbery stuff that slows down the key response. Could be an old keybed (don't know the age of the Kronos) and that new ones are better, but there are no other Kronos 88's to compare it with.

I hope they can add some resonance algorithms in a next OS release for the AP presets. Like sympathic resonance and better blending between velocity ranges. I'm thinking of adding a 61 to the VPC I have on my wishlist. Or a second setup with Kronos 88 , so you have it all in one box for take-away, but then I wonder about the current keybed quality (see above).
Posted by: 36251

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 03/18/13 11:00 AM

I'm a fan of Korg workstations. In the past I tried switching to a Motif cause my band members kept hounding me that it sounded better. After a week I brought it back.

IMHO - Korg sounds better live. I enjoyed playing the Motif at home. Each sound was very characteristic of its sample but I couldn't get them to cut in a live situation. I hated the interface for Motif. The touch screen is better; always has been - always will be.

Yamaha across the board should update their interfaces.
Posted by: RonL

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 03/18/13 12:31 PM

I have a Motif XS7 and I like it quite a bit, but I think the Kronos interface and some of the sounds are better. The Motif has better guitars and the Mega sounds are fun, but the Kronos pianos, EPs, organs, analog sounds are probably better. I don't care for the Motif interface, I find it a bit confusing and lots of button pressing, but it is super quick to put together backing tracks in pattern mode.

There are plenty of threads/posts comparing the two boards so goggle and enjoy.

I am in the don't like the Kronos RH3 action camp. I just don't like it. IMHO the Yamaha actions are much better, I especially like the CP5 action. If it were me I would go with the Kronos 61 and a Casio px5 or something.
Posted by: Dave Ferris

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 03/18/13 01:03 PM

Posted by: mabraman

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 03/22/13 06:46 AM

A little off topic, but couldn't resist the temptation. A performance from a grat spanish musician, Antonio Serrano, where a Kronos appears (just wait and see). Isn't he a genius?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMjUHgXgAQA
Posted by: KLSinCT

Re: is it worthy switching from motif XS to kronos? - 03/22/13 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: mabraman
A little off topic, but couldn't resist the temptation. A performance from a grat spanish musician, Antonio Serrano, where a Kronos appears (just wait and see). Isn't he a genius?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMjUHgXgAQA

What an amazing performance! Thanks for posting this video link!

Cheers,

K.