Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator?

Posted by: JohanJons

Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/23/13 09:55 AM

My room is really cold at night so the temperature differenses make my guitars getting out of tune. My room is cold because i dont have my radiator on because i have the digital piano standing at the window, and thats were i have the radiator.

Im scared that if i put it on, it may overheat the piano or something, is that true or can a digital piano handle much heat from a radiator?

/Johan
Posted by: zapper

Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/23/13 10:43 AM

what kinda DP you have? if wooden case or have wooden parts then the case will dry out and/or glue out...other then that don't worry about the radiator and stay warm...
Posted by: Nigeth

Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/23/13 11:06 AM

There is usually info in the manual or handbook about the minimum distances to radiators/heaters.

That's because the devices are usually not ventilated (no fans) and rely on convection for cooling. Also some parts can get quite warm so placing the piano too close to a radiator might cause certain parts to overheat causing electrical or mechanical defects in the worst case.

A distance of about 30cm/12 inches to the radiator is usually enough to prevent that but you should consult the manual.

I should also mention that overheating is only an issue if the device is turned on and you play it. If it's turned off then it should be no problem if the heater is running. So you might keep the heater runing at night and just move the dp a little when you play it.
Posted by: JohanJons

Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/23/13 12:18 PM

It says
Dont place it at spots that are exposed to sunlight or high humidity.

Places that are exposed to extremly high or low temperatures.

Also dont place it close to a tv nor radio etc...

I just placed a humidifier in my room to get my guitar neck to bend back, maybe i should move it out then.. extremly high temeperatures are that above like 40 degrees Celsius or less/more?
Posted by: Nigeth

Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/23/13 12:43 PM

It's definitely more than 40°C

OK: "high humidity": if humidity gets to high the water vapor can condensate inside the instrument and cause electrical damage.

This would usually be humidity above 80% so places like brasil or other places close to the equator or if you place it inside of a green house or bathroom/poolhouse

Exposure to sunlight: In the summer a black surface exposed to sunlight can heat up to 60°C or more (just think car dashboard when you park the car outside in the summer)

This might 'warp' the plastic casing or cause discoloring but this usually only happens during the summer when the instrument is exposed to the direct sun for long duriations

Don't place it too close to a radio or TV. Electromagnetic interference from the radio or TV might cause distortions and make it sound worse

Extremely high or low temps assume that this means either below 0°C or above 45°C. If you place the piano at least 30 cm from the heater you should be just fine. It's probably better to keep the heater on anyway both for your guitars and to prevent the build up of mold.

If its an open flame (wood stove, oil stove etc) you shouldn't place anywhere near it.

If you want to be sure though contact technical support and see what they recommend.
Posted by: zapper

Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/23/13 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: JohanJons
extremly high temeperatures are that above like 40 degrees Celsius or less/more?

these are when the case is melting - electronics components have no problem with temperature even around 100 degrees Celsius.
Posted by: Jeff Clef

Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/24/13 09:47 AM

I wouldn't put a DP close to a radiator, or in direct sun... unless you want to find out the hard way what the tolerances really are. At the very least, they cost money, and some of us would be sad to see our instruments ruined.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/24/13 10:19 AM

Back when I used to own a tube amplifier, a Dynaco Stereo 70, I bought a whisper fan (that might actually have been the brand name, it's been a long time) to keep the amplifier cool.

I think in a situation like this some common sense should be used. My car has electronics and it's outside the entire year - in very hot weather and now is very cold weather. I don't give this a second thought.

If I were that concerned about an electric piano, I'd buy a whisper fan and position it in the appropriate place.
Posted by: slipperykeys

Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? - 01/25/13 11:07 AM

Can a heat shield be placed between the piano and the radiator?
Two sheets of card wrapped in tin foil should do, it will deflect heat away from the piano and still allow it to heat the room.