Piano as gift...AvantGrand N1 vs N2

Posted by: CanadaRyan

Piano as gift...AvantGrand N1 vs N2 - 01/24/13 07:34 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am purchasing a Yamaha AvantGrand N1 or N2 as a gift. It needs to be digital because of space issues as well as volume control. The difference in price between the two pianos is $1400. I'm certainly not a pro at determining which is better, however, I thought the N2 sounded better especially when the lid is raised. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what you would purchase?

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: SIG77

Re: Piano as gift...AvantGrand N1 vs N2 - 01/24/13 07:45 PM

N2 sounds better to me too. If it is not a financial burden to the people who buys this for you, why not getting a N2?

I wish someone would give me this as a gift. smile
Posted by: ClsscLib

Re: Piano as gift...AvantGrand N1 vs N2 - 01/24/13 07:48 PM

I think the N2 has several advantages over the N1 -- more than enough to justify the relatively small cost difference if you can get past that. The speakers are better, and so are the key surfaces. I also like the slideout control feature. And to me, the styling is nicer.
Posted by: Kos

Re: Piano as gift...AvantGrand N1 vs N2 - 01/25/13 02:44 AM

AvantGrand for a gift? Can I be your friend too? smile
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Piano as gift...AvantGrand N1 vs N2 - 01/25/13 03:49 AM

The only drawback of the N2 (and also the NU1 which should also be considered) is the use of cloth over the speakers at the exact height that cats find attractive.

If the recipient of your gift has cats you might first want to consider spraying the cloth material with a pheromone type substance purchased from a vet or an animal store.