The Digital Challenge -

Posted by: peterws

The Digital Challenge - - 01/30/13 02:41 PM

The Bench Mark no less! "Bridge over Troubled Water" Intro only . . . How does yours sound? More to the point -

Who`s gonna be first?
Posted by: dbudde

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/30/13 03:56 PM

I'll play...

BOTW Intro

VSL Special Edition Bosendorfer
Posted by: dire tonic

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 03:33 AM

- who's going to be second?

It's quite tricky making these comparisons isn't it? So many variables.

What sticks out to me in dbudde's offering is the sequenced and quantised midi-file sound. I'm sure it would sound 1000% better if it were played by a human.

Are you going to put up your version peterws?

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 03:53 AM

I guess someone had to ask that! Here`s my effort .. .A tad slow maybe . ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSpEYahgPfI

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 04:09 AM

Nice! Lovely sensitive playing.

You must have mentioned it before but I can't remember which DP your using...(it reminds me a bit of my newly acquired casio px-150 in the middle register).

I'll put up something from acoustic samples ex pro later.

BTW, did you pick this up from a freely available sheet or by ear?
Posted by: Hookxs

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 04:09 AM

If you upload the sheet I am game.

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 04:46 AM

Here y`are, guys. First sheet of a purchase copy. I`m getting the rest, cos it`s a good song . . .You can photo it using the Microsoft snipping tool.

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0104274
Posted by: Hookxs

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 05:05 AM

Thanks, as soon as I get home I'll try it. Is it the same version that you play? Sounds different...

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 12:23 PM

It is the same version. I played mine as near as I could to what`s on there . . . Good luck, man have a good one

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 03:33 PM

There are some lost opportunities in that sheet – like the octave bass thing in the first 2 bars (should start on Bb rather than Eb) - so I’ve taken the liberty of playing it a bit more like the original.

https://www.box.com/s/vhzhj0vh3hkisn740300

I’ll do one with the px-150 when I get a suitable cable. I’m afraid it’ll be a bit of a let down compared with the ex pro samples.

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 05:35 PM

Didn`t know the Bb octave started this thing rollin` . . .I know it comes in later. Sounds good, man! Now, what piano was that, then? Doesn`t sound as rough as mine (maybe it`s in the technique)

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 01/31/13 05:37 PM

dbudde . . was that you playing? What was it?
Posted by: dbudde

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 02/01/13 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: peterws
dbudde . . was that you playing? What was it?

Nope. It was sequenced in Sibelius. I am currently between keyboards or I would have played it in. Looking to figure out what to buy. That's what brought me to this forum. I'm likely going to get a VPC1.

I thought this thread was to compare sounds of different DPs. So I didn't think it mattered to sequence it. So I just threw that together quickly.

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 02/01/13 02:09 AM

That`s right, it is. But it`s always good to hear the guy behind the machine. . . ! Because it ain`t gonna be a machine playing it after ya buy . ..

Might get afew more before it drops of the end, hopefully!

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 02/01/13 02:59 AM

- acousticsamples Kawai ex-pro samples. I know you asked for DPs (I’ve ordered a cable to record the casio px150) but I thought it might be interesting to admit software pianos too.

Yours doesn’t sound rough at all, if anything it’s a bit more bluesy, a bit less gospel, but I suspect it’s the sound of the DP which tends to influence the way it’s played. I hear a tiny hint of Wurlitzer in yours (without the vib, of course). I think the casio is similar around the middle octaves.

Re: The Digital Challenge - - 02/01/13 01:29 PM

Over 600 views and so few responses! I don`t believe for a moment you guys or your pianos aren`t up to this. . . . I wanna hear `em!