wrong temperament in digital pianos?

Posted by: Marco M

wrong temperament in digital pianos? - 02/01/13 04:52 AM

I run into doubts, that the Kirnberger-III temperament provided on our digital pianos might have been accidently chosen wrong by the manufactures, and it instead should be the Kirnberger-II temperament.

I originally started a thread "digital piano temperaments and composers correlation chart" over at the Piano Tuner´s and at the Pianist´s board. On the Tuner´s board there has been some feedback, and I thus claim it to be now my main thread on the topic. I would appreciate if you could contribute with your knowledge to the main thread over there:

digital piano temperaments and composers correlation chart

Thanks!
Posted by: Marco M

Re: wrong temperament in digital pianos? - 02/13/13 12:44 PM

Nobody around, who has recommendations how to best make use out of the different temperaments which we can find in our DPs? Anybody who could relate the temperaments (only the ones which are in the DP!) to composers? I am specially wondering for whom to use Kirnberger-III, and what to best use for playing Mozart and for playing Beethoven.
Any help is welcome!
Posted by: peterws

Re: wrong temperament in digital pianos? - 02/13/13 03:21 PM

This is interesting. I`d love to experience the choice here, and the difference in effect! One might be, unfortunately, unpleasantly surprised . . .
Posted by: Temperament

Re: wrong temperament in digital pianos? - 02/13/13 03:44 PM

I don't recommend KirnbergerIII and WerkmeisterIII and Valotti. They are too harsh (The character curve very overblown or in the case of the Valotti or Young 1801 - too characteristic in the direction of meantone.) What I could recommend more for clasical music (Haydn, Beethoven but not for Schubert) is Young 1799. For J.S.Bach I recommend Neidhardt's "Große Stadt from 1724" (a circular temperament) or Lambert (a smoother relative of Valotti and Young beeing 1/7 instead of 1/6).

The effect of these is subtle enough but characteristic enough at the same time.

I cannot explain this why in detail further here, just a tip from me to play with...