How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand?

Posted by: newbert

How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/01/13 04:11 PM

I bought this music stand to support my laptop computer behind my digital piano when viewing videos from my online piano course. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GFPYS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Although it came with no assembly instructions or anything else, I managed to assemble it. ....But now I can't figure out how to adjust the height. confused I need to raise it about 2 inches.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!
Posted by: bennevis

Re: How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/01/13 05:04 PM

I use a Stagg music stand for my digital stage piano, like yours, also standing behind the slab. It has a knob on the main shaft that you can loosen to extend the secondary shaft within it. Doesn't yours have a knob or screw of some sort? From the photo, the shaft is evidently in two parts, so there must be some way of extending it. Maybe you're missing a knob or screw? Is there a hole in the main shaft?

Re: How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/01/13 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: bennevis
I use a Stagg music stand for my digital stage piano, like yours, also standing behind the slab. It has a knob on the main shaft that you can loosen to extend the secondary shaft within it. Doesn't yours have a knob or screw of some sort? From the photo, the shaft is evidently in two parts, so there must be some way of extending it. Maybe you're missing a knob or screw? Is there a hole in the main shaft?

The only knob on the music stand loosens/tightens the setting for the stand's angle. Someone on another forum suggested that I just pull up on it while stepping on the base (and that it might be tight because it's new). I tried that and it worked! Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but I don't plan on adjusting the height up and down constantly.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Posted by: bennevis

Re: How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/01/13 05:13 PM

Just remembered there is another way such shafts may be adjusted for length without using protruding screws or knobs or levers, viz, the method used in most trekking poles (as used by hikers/mountaineers) like my Leki ones: the narrower shaft unscrews like a corkscrew to loosen it from its confines of the broader shaft, so that it can be pulled up, then 'screwed' back in when the desired length is reached.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/02/13 04:00 AM

This won't apply but my wife and I own a mobile home (what we call a caravan over here, it gets attached to our car and is pulled).

The fittings for the gas tanks (for cooking and heating) are threaded counter clockwise. The first time I had to replace a tank I was confounded. I couldn't budge that fitting since I was without realizing it making it tighter and tighter. Why fittings for gas lines in caravans run 'backwards' is a mystery to me. smile
Posted by: justpin

Re: How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/02/13 06:26 AM

This is one of the reasons I mourn the passing of phone books wink
Posted by: Amaruk

Re: How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/02/13 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

The fittings for the gas tanks (for cooking and heating) are threaded counter clockwise. The first time I had to replace a tank I was confounded. I couldn't budge that fitting since I was without realizing it making it tighter and tighter. Why fittings for gas lines in caravans run 'backwards' is a mystery to me. smile

What is a CGA fitting?

"The fitting standards are designed to make the gas connections leak tight and also prevent different fittings from being mixed up. For example, flamable gas fittings have a left hand thread fittings. Oxygen and inert gases have right hand thread fittings. Since a left hand thread fittings cannot be threaded onto a right hand fitting, it is impossible to connect the fuel gas to the oxygen and vise versa"
Posted by: R0B

Re: How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/02/13 09:35 AM

If anyone had taken the time to read the description on the Amazon page posted, they would have seen that is is a Hamilton Automatic.
Further reading would have revealed the quote: 'Precision clutch mechanism for quiet telescoping movement'
This would tell me that there is no clamping screw, the adjustment is achieved via the aforementiond clutch. In other words it can be adjusted, by simply pulling or pushing the stand up or down.

Re: How to Raise the Height of a Music Stand? - 02/02/13 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: R0B
If anyone had taken the time to read the description on the Amazon page posted, they would have seen that is is a Hamilton Automatic.
Further reading would have revealed the quote: 'Precision clutch mechanism for quiet telescoping movement'
This would tell me that there is no clamping screw, the adjustment is achieved via the aforementiond clutch. In other words it can be adjusted, by simply pulling or pushing the stand up or down.

Thank you for confirming this, Rob! I didn't know exactly what "precision clutch mechanism" meant until you just explained it. That confirms that my pulling/pushing the stand up/down isn't doing any damage.