Need Advice: Yamaha DGT-7 with Disklavier

Posted by: apicozzi

Need Advice: Yamaha DGT-7 with Disklavier - 07/12/13 06:59 AM

Hi,
I am looking for some advice on a piano that I am going to look at on Saturday morning. I played piano for about 13 years, but stopped 6 years ago and haven't really played since. I have always loved the look of a grand piano and would like to start playing again - as a hobby, not professionally. I live in an apartment, so an acoustic grand really isn't an option for me. I like the idea of a digital grand because of the volume control/headphone option, but also because of the "look" of a grand. I found a local piano store that is selling a 2003 Yamaha DGT-7 Digital Baby Grand (4'11") with Disklavier added. They're selling it for $6,500 with a "rent to own" option. Any advice on the price or what I should look for when viewing it on Saturday? Like I said earlier, this is more of a hobby so if it's not the BEST piano, I'm not too concerned. Any input would be greatly appreciated. [email][/email] [url=][/url] [img:center][/img] [img][/img] [img]http://www.pianomill.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/yamahadisc21.jpg[/img]
Posted by: de cajon

Re: Need Advice: Yamaha DGT-7 with Disklavier - 07/12/13 08:18 AM

In some sense, surely a Discklavier is the opposite of a digital grand chosen for good neighbourliness. The strength of a Disklavier is that it can play acoustically all on its own.
Posted by: Pete14

Re: Need Advice: Yamaha DGT-7 with Disklavier - 07/12/13 08:43 AM

First of all, play the piano with the volume down, and listen for any odd noises coming from the action. try to move the keys (one by one) vertically; there should not be too much movement from side to side. look for unusually wide gaps between the keys; etc.... obviously, at some point turn up the volume, and simply play.

Aesthetics are also important: scratches on the finish, chipped-off edges, broken/scratched keys etc...

This piano uses a real grand piano action; this feature alone makes it a great instrument. The on-board sound is good; however, you could always use software pianos, and -theoretically- have the best of both worlds. Good luck.