Piano World Home Page
Hey,
As above, I've got an urge to play the piano again (I haven't really played it for around 4 years now, since leaving school and going to uni). I'm currently on a year work placement, and I wouldn't mind playing a little in the evenings.

Based on this I think a digital piano would probably be best, since I'll only be living here till next July, when I'll be going home for a couple of months, before back to uni for my final year. Also it will be in my room, which is on the first floor, and I'm not sure if a piano would even fit up the stairs/through my door, and the adjustable volume would be good for playing in the evenings.

So I thought I'd post here asking for some advice from people who know a lot more than I do :P

a) Based on the information above, do you think a digital piano is the right choice?
b) Any recommendations? laugh

My budget is pretty low, I haven't really thought about it, but I can't see myself paying anything more than £1000, and even then probably less. I'm not bothered about different sounds and effects, just want it to feel as close to a real piano as possible really (the ability to plug in headphones would be good, although most probably have that feature)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and of course feel free to ask for more information if it's needed smile

Edit:
Realised it sounds like I haven't done any looking etc.
I've looked a little, and it seems the Yamaha models come highly recommended, although sadly I don't think I'll be able to afford the CLP, so would be looking at a YDP/P piano.
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm
My budget is pretty low, I haven't really thought about it, but I can't see myself paying anything more than £1000, and even then probably less. I'm not bothered about different sounds and effects, just want it to feel as close to a real piano as possible really

In a low price range, I think most people agree that the best feeling piano at the moment would be Casio. Just for piano, the PX-150 will do, though the PX-350 has better sounding speakers (for those times you're not using headphones), and a line input in case you want to feed in a better quality piano sound you could trigger from your computer. (You could trigger the computer piano sound from the 150 as well, but would be limited to headphones or would need additional speakers to be connected.)
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/12/13 12:43 PM
Can't go wrong with a Yamaha P155.
Originally Posted by gvfarns

Maybe so, however it slightly exceeds George's maximum budget (the P155 is much cheaper in the US, remember).

In this price bracket, a Casio PX-150 or Yamaha P105 are the best choices.

James
x
Originally Posted by anotherscott
My budget is pretty low, I haven't really thought about it, but I can't see myself paying anything more than £1000, and even then probably less. I'm not bothered about different sounds and effects, just want it to feel as close to a real piano as possible really

In a low price range, I think most people agree that the best feeling piano at the moment would be Casio. Just for piano, the PX-150 will do, though the PX-350 has better sounding speakers (for those times you're not using headphones), and a line input in case you want to feed in a better quality piano sound you could trigger from your computer. (You could trigger the computer piano sound from the 150 as well, but would be limited to headphones or would need additional speakers to be connected.)

I hadn't really looked into Casio very much, thanks for the suggestion smile

Seems a little pricey in the UK (sadly 1000$ seems to equal £1100 :P)

Originally Posted by Kawai James

Maybe so, however it slightly exceeds George's maximum budget (the P155 is much cheaper in the US, remember).

In this price bracket, a Casio PX-150 or Yamaha P105 are the best choices.

James
x

I'll have more of a look into them both.

So you would recommend a P model over a YDP for Yamaha?

Yes, the portability will come in handy when going to and from your parents place and uni.

Cheers,
James
x

Yes, the portability will come in handy when going to and from your parents place and uni.

Cheers,
James
x

I assume the difference in quality/feel between them and the more 'solid' models with stand isn't big enough within a similar price range to warrant the extra faff every time it needs to be moved? (I've been told that some, possibly all, of the models with stands can separate for easier transportation, just a couple of screws needed?)

Are there any particular stands you'd recommend then? From a quick google, it seems quite a few places sell both the Casio and the Yamaha with a stand, stool, headphones etc. I assume that stand won't be very good and it may be worth getting something better?
When you buy a stand for it, don't buy an 'X' style one - in my opinion they bounce too much when you play.
Get something like the Quik Lok WS-550 with four solid legs - it will feel as stable as a 'furniture style' digital piano then.
Originally Posted by TrumpetMan
When you buy a stand for it, don't buy an 'X' style one - in my opinion they bounce too much when you play.
Get something like the Quik Lok WS-550 with four solid legs - it will feel as stable as a 'furniture style' digital piano then.

I had heard they weren't good, especially with heavier keyboards/digital pianos.
Looks like quite a cool stand, although will add another £100 which I'll have to bear in mind (once again it seems like there's a 1:1 $:£ exchange rate frown )
Posted By: peterws Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/12/13 03:21 PM
Get round your nearest dealer(s) and try lots of stuff. All price ranges; don`t be put off by cheap or dear stuff and don`t bang yer head off the guitars hanging up around the walls. If they`re acoustic, it sounds. If they`re electric, it hurts. Get the showroom geezer to put some reverb on to give the piano a lift.

And then let your fingers and wallet decide!

Happy fishing . . .
Originally Posted by peterws
Get round your nearest dealer(s) and try lots of stuff. All price ranges; don`t be put off by cheap or dear stuff and don`t bang yer head off the guitars hanging up around the walls. If they`re acoustic, it sounds. If they`re electric, it hurts. Get the showroom geezer to put some reverb on to give the piano a lift.

And then let your fingers and wallet decide!

Happy fishing . . .

I am aiming to do that, I'm just not sure when I'll get a chance to, I don't know of any shops in my local area, and being without a car means finding them will be a hassle, and I'm busy for the next two weekends, so I won't be able to try anything for at least 3 weeks frown
Take a day trip to London - there're several DP stores with Yamaha, Kawai, Roland and Casio (and Kurzweil and Korg etc) within a one-mile radius of the main Oxford Street area. Preferably on a weekday (weekends buzz too much at this time of the year), and bring your own headphones: that's the only way you can compare the inherent sounds of the respective DPs. Cheaper DPs have inadequate amplification and speakers, but when heard through headphones, their sound may well be as good as, or better than, much more expensive ones.
Posted By: kilf Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/12/13 06:39 PM
Just a suggestion

http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_sp_250_bk_case_bundle.htm

I know it has Korgs top action, same as the Kronos but I am not sure how that compared to other brands.

I don't know much to be fair I haven't even got my piano yet but this may suit your need nicely
Originally Posted by bennevis
Take a day trip to London - there're several DP stores with Yamaha, Kawai, Roland and Casio (and Kurzweil and Korg etc) within a one-mile radius of the main Oxford Street area. Preferably on a weekday (weekends buzz too much at this time of the year), and bring your own headphones: that's the only way you can compare the inherent sounds of the respective DPs. Cheaper DPs have inadequate amplification and speakers, but when heard through headphones, their sound may well be as good as, or better than, much more expensive ones.

Hmm, not really possible on a weekday since I'm working 9-5.
Might see if I can work something out though.

Originally Posted by kilf
Just a suggestion

http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_sp_250_bk_case_bundle.htm

I know it has Korgs top action, same as the Kronos but I am not sure how that compared to other brands.

I don't know much to be fair I haven't even got my piano yet but this may suit your need nicely

Bit more than the other suggestions, but I'll look into it smile
Posted By: starbug Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/12/13 08:53 PM
YAMAHA P155 FTW!

An extra £100 is worth it..

You're too busy to go looking for pianos!!?? Want us to do all the leg-work?? :P
Originally Posted by starbug
YAMAHA P155 FTW!

An extra £100 is worth it..

You're too busy to go looking for pianos!!?? Want us to do all the leg-work?? :P

Is it worth double the other suggestions?
Haha no, but I thought you guys would know some good options, so I could narrow it down at least.
Posted By: Goof Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/12/13 10:22 PM
Only yesterday I bought a Yamaha YPP200 second hand.I live in Yate and I found the advertisment in Tesco.
It is fine for playing at all hours with head phones.
Also one can connect to an aplifier and larger speakers.
Also/and later buy a CD for PianoTec and make it sound like any sort of piano you wish.
I still have a large upright but find the convenience of the DP amazing.
Took me about an hour to get into the "knack" of the keyboard.
Took me 15mins to screw together the three pieces of venered MDF which make up the stand.
I've no idea how old it is but "By golywoly " it is well worth the £200 which I paid for it.
Posted By: toddy Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/12/13 10:34 PM
I'd seriously look at the Casios that anotherscott mentioned. I think that's what I'd go for in your place - well built but not too bulky. Very good value for money - specifications punching way above their weight (though specs are not the main thing - touch and main piano sound are, for most serious buyers).

Or I'd get the Yamaha YDP 162. This is a very nice piano for around £850 - very well built with good basic specifications, fine keyboard and good sound engine. Not really portable though - it's a console type.

YDP 162 is a better deal in Europe/UK than the Yamaha P155 which is under 1000 dollars in the states, I believe. Only thing is, P155 is more portable.
I had heard they weren't good, especially with heavier keyboards/digital pianos.
Looks like quite a cool stand, although will add another £100 which I'll have to bear in mind (once again it seems like there's a 1:1 $:£ exchange rate frown )

Actually, in my experience they are more stable when used with heavier instruments, but I wouldn't recommend them if you like to use more than one pedal. Not a lot of legroom.

Posted By: xorbe Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/13/13 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by LesCharles73
Actually, in my experience they are more stable when used with heavier instruments, but I wouldn't recommend them if you like to use more than one pedal. Not a lot of legroom.

I don't think you can get more legroom than the QuikLok WS-550 with four legs! I have 2 of them, sturdy and simple.
Posted By: rnaple Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/13/13 02:08 AM
If you want an inexpensive good stand. There is a folding 120cm plastic table with adjustable height legs at WallyWorld. It's only something like 30 bucks? It works great. One of the settings on the legs is perfect for me. I"m 5'9" tall.

EDIT: Besides, you can take your DP off of it and use it for eating, poker, whatever. It's portable, folds up real good.
Kawai CL-36. IMHO best DP under 1000 €. 900 € normal price, I paid 800 for display model (700£).
Originally Posted by jarosujo
Kawai CL-36. IMHO best DP under 1000 €. 900 € normal price, I paid 800 for display model (700£).

Yes, that's a pretty good deal.

The CL36 doesn't get a great deal of coverage on this forum, probably because it is not available in the US.

James
x
Originally Posted by Goof
Only yesterday I bought a Yamaha YPP200 second hand.I live in Yate and I found the advertisment in Tesco.
It is fine for playing at all hours with head phones.
Also one can connect to an aplifier and larger speakers.
Also/and later buy a CD for PianoTec and make it sound like any sort of piano you wish.
I still have a large upright but find the convenience of the DP amazing.
Took me about an hour to get into the "knack" of the keyboard.
Took me 15mins to screw together the three pieces of venered MDF which make up the stand.
I've no idea how old it is but "By golywoly " it is well worth the £200 which I paid for it.

Yeah I'm going to try and see if I can find some stuff 2nd hand.

Originally Posted by toddy
I'd seriously look at the Casios that anotherscott mentioned. I think that's what I'd go for in your place - well built but not too bulky. Very good value for money - specifications punching way above their weight (though specs are not the main thing - touch and main piano sound are, for most serious buyers).

Or I'd get the Yamaha YDP 162. This is a very nice piano for around £850 - very well built with good basic specifications, fine keyboard and good sound engine. Not really portable though - it's a console type.

YDP 162 is a better deal in Europe/UK than the Yamaha P155 which is under 1000 dollars in the states, I believe. Only thing is, P155 is more portable.

Ok I'll look into the Casios, would you say the more expensive suggestions were worth the extra? I'm not sure what kind of playing I'll be doing, got to an OK standard, but am probably quite a bit worse now. I'll probably look back through some of my grade books to start with, then look at some Mozart sonatas (since I have them all I think), aiming for a Chopin Etude.

Originally Posted by xorbe

I don't think you can get more legroom than the QuikLok WS-550 with four legs! I have 2 of them, sturdy and simple.

I like the idea of the one with four legs, folds up into a nice small size, and looks pretty sturdy, I'll have a look at different models etc.

Originally Posted by rnaple
If you want an inexpensive good stand. There is a folding 120cm plastic table with adjustable height legs at WallyWorld. It's only something like 30 bucks? It works great. One of the settings on the legs is perfect for me. I"m 5'9" tall.

EDIT: Besides, you can take your DP off of it and use it for eating, poker, whatever. It's portable, folds up real good.

I'm in the UK so can't get that sadly, but I might have a look to see if anywhere here has a similar thing.

Yes, that's a pretty good deal.

The CL36 doesn't get a great deal of coverage on this forum, probably because it is not available in the US.

James
x

Ok, I'll look into it, would you say it's worth the 50% price increase over the original Yamaha/Casio recommendations?

I know I said my budget is £1000, but spending less would be nice, and would make more likely to actually go ahead with this rather than being another nice idea I never end up committing to... :P
Been having a quick think, and if I go for one which comes with a free stand, stool, headphones etc, I'll probably just use the one it comes with to begin with, see how it feels. Can always get a nicer stand later smile

Do the headphone jacks tend to be the smaller or bigger ones? (3.5/6.5mm?) Also can they tend to power headphones with relatively high impedance or would I need to use low impedance models?

Had a quick look and it seems like they're designed for low impedance headphones, but I wondered if anyone has any experience using higher impedance headphones, and wanted to hear how they performed smile
Posted By: justpin Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/14/13 10:54 AM
There is a Yamaha P155 for £599 in Manchester, bloke lives half a mile away.

That might be decent for you.

He's reluctant to post it but I could post it for you, dude has been fishing for months.

It was initially priced at £950. I offered him £600 he said it was insulting, he phoned me up and asked me if I would pay £600 for it I said no. I offered him £300. He said I was insulting him.

smile
Originally Posted by justpin
There is a Yamaha P155 for £599 in Manchester, bloke lives half a mile away.

That might be decent for you.

He's reluctant to post it but I could post it for you, dude has been fishing for months.

It was initially priced at £950. I offered him £600 he said it was insulting, he phoned me up and asked me if I would pay £600 for it I said no. I offered him £300. He said I was insulting him.

smile

Ooh, that sounds like it could be good indeed, age, any warranty etc? (do digital pianos even come with warranty? :P)
I'm very interested smile
I was in a situation similar to the OP when I bought my Yamaha P85. I'm ok with the GHS action, but I wonder what the Casio PX-150's is like . . . can anyone provide some feedback? If the Casio's is better, then I recommend it to the OP.
Do the headphone jacks tend to be the smaller or bigger ones? (3.5/6.5mm?) Also can they tend to power headphones with relatively high impedance or would I need to use low impedance models?

Had a quick look and it seems like they're designed for low impedance headphones, but I wondered if anyone has any experience using higher impedance headphones, and wanted to hear how they performed smile

I believe the headphone jacks on all DPs are 6.5mm ones, but you can always use an adaptor costing £1 if you need to. But you'll definitely need low impedance headphones - many DPs only give the same output as MP3 players. I've had experience of using Yamaha own-brand headphones in a store with the most expensive Yamaha DP, which, at maximum volume, barely provided enough sound to be heard above the ambient noise.
I was in a situation similar to the OP when I bought my Yamaha P85. I'm ok with the GHS action, but I wonder what the Casio PX-150's is like . . . can anyone provide some feedback? If the Casio's is better, then I recommend it to the OP.

_My opinion_ is that the Casio PX-x50 action is better than the Yamaha GHS action (P105, and previous models).

But that's not a _universal_ opinion, or even an overwhelmingly-popular one. Different people, different tastes.

. Charles

PS -- bias -- I bought a PX-350.
Posted By: Tritium Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/15/13 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

_My opinion_ is that the Casio PX-x50 action is better than the Yamaha GHS action (P105, and previous models).

But that's not a _universal_ opinion, or even an overwhelmingly-popular one. Different people, different tastes.

. Charles

Agreed,

I tried Yamaha's P-105 and P-155. I prefer Casio's PX-x50 series action...probably in large part due to their 3-contact key sensor, which (IMHO) allows much finer expression and subtlety...as well as, of course, faster repetitions.

I wanted to stay around the $1,000 - $1,500 budget, and ended up purchasing the Casio PX-850. I am very happy with my decision.

However, I agree with Charles...digital piano actions are very much a matter of personal taste. For me, I felt the Casio PX-850 action was superior to the Yamaha models in it's price range.

Good Luck.
Originally Posted by Dwscamel

I think I just need to work out when/how I can visit somewhere to try some out smirk

Originally Posted by bennevis

I believe the headphone jacks on all DPs are 6.5mm ones, but you can always use an adaptor costing £1 if you need to. But you'll definitely need low impedance headphones - many DPs only give the same output as MP3 players. I've had experience of using Yamaha own-brand headphones in a store with the most expensive Yamaha DP, which, at maximum volume, barely provided enough sound to be heard above the ambient noise.

Hmm ok fair enough, pity.

. Charles

Originally Posted by Tritium

. Charles

Agreed,

I tried Yamaha's P-105 and P-155. I prefer Casio's PX-x50 series action...probably in large part due to their 3-contact key sensor, which (IMHO) allows much finer expression and subtlety...as well as, of course, faster repetitions.

I wanted to stay around the $1,000 - $1,500 budget, and ended up purchasing the Casio PX-850. I am very happy with my decision.

However, I agree with Charles...digital piano actions are very much a matter of personal taste. For me, I felt the Casio PX-850 action was superior to the Yamaha models in it's price range.

Good Luck.

Sounds like I definitely need to work out how/when I can try some out!
Personally I think the Yamaha samples are more realistic sounding than the Casio's. If you're going to plug it into something else or use headphones, the P-105 is good. But the upgraded on-board speakers on the P-155 are very much worth the extra cost. Also, action is something that can almost never be recommended. It's so personal to each player. Some like a lighter, more bouncier action. Others (like me) prefer a heavier, more resistant action.
I must agree with the above poster. From what I've heard and played, Yamahas have a big edge over Casios, whether it's sound or action (though, as said, the action on a keyboard can be hit or miss depending on one's preferences). The P-105 is an awesome piano, but if you can hold out for the P155, it's a great investment.
Posted By: Tritium Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/16/13 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
Personally I think the Yamaha samples are more realistic sounding than the Casio's. If you're going to plug it into something else or use headphones, the P-105 is good. But the upgraded on-board speakers on the P-155 are very much worth the extra cost. Also, action is something that can almost never be recommended. It's so personal to each player. Some like a lighter, more bouncier action. Others (like me) prefer a heavier, more resistant action.

Brian, have you tried the new Casio PX-X50 series, with their A.I.R sound engine...or are you thinking of the previous -X30 series? Casio's new sound engine is a pretty big leap from the previous generation.
Originally Posted by Tritium
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas

Brian, have you tried the new Casio PX-X50 series, with their A.I.R sound engine...or are you thinking of the previous -X30 series? Casio's new sound engine is a pretty big leap from the previous generation.
I played the PX-850 when it hit stores here. Not bad. Didn't listen with headphones so I can't really tell what was the samples and what was the speakers, but I still think Yamaha has an edge. The new Korg DPs are pretty nice too. Good feel, good samples. Although I will say Casio does seem to be getting better than the previous Privia lines.
Originally Posted by El Rustito
I must agree with the above poster. From what I've heard and played, Yamahas have a big edge over Casios, whether it's sound or action (though, as said, the action on a keyboard can be hit or miss depending on one's preferences). The P-105 is an awesome piano, but if you can hold out for the P155, it's a great investment.

P155 is great investment, but not in Europe. It costs 1200€ + 100€ for stand (1700$). You can get Kawai ES7 for 1350€.
Posted By: RDW Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 08/17/13 06:30 PM
Can't comment on the current Casio range, but I'd say the extra you pay for the P155 over the cheaper models is definitely worth it. You can still find it new under your budget - £950 for the P155S (Silver/Cherry) at Rocking Rooster, £50 less at Andertons for a customer return.
Comparing sound without (the same) headphones really means nothing and is really misleading.

But the most important thing is: before you buy anything you must try Casio PX-x50 (not the older ones PX-x30)
Whatever the greatest deal you may get on some Yamaha or Kawai model, just wait until you tried Casio.
If somebody offers you Kawai ES7 for half its price - yes, try Casio before you buy ES7.
BTW, you may try Casio without headphones too - to feel the vibrations in your fingers and how they compare to vibrations (or lack of them) in other DPs.

Thanks for all the posts everyone, I think I'm going to hold off for a little bit, partially because I need to try and find a time/somewhere I can have a play on a couple of models, and also partially to make sure it's not another snap idea I have, which in a couple of weeks I won't be interested in anymore :P

I am really considering the 2nd hand P155 mentioned in the thread though, can get a Yamaha L40 (I think) stand with it as well which might be good.
Would obviously try to get him down on price if I do decide to buy, but £640 isn't too bad from what you guys have said.
Finally got the chance to try some this weekend!

Mainly looked at Yamaha models, the P35, P105 and P155.

Not going to lie, they didn't feel/sound worlds apart to me :P Mainly because I haven't been playing the piano recently I think and so any subtle differences were lost. On that note, I'm guessing once I get back into the swing of things, playing regularly I might then start to notice the smaller details.

The prices were (for the basic keyboard with 2 year warranty), £350, £500 and £1100 respectively. I think I would get a 'proper' pedal for it (designed like a normal piano, rather than a small pad), and a half decent stool, along with a stand, which all would obviously add to the price, making the P155 rather pricey frown
Posted By: ONfrank Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 09/30/13 10:48 PM
Finally got the chance to try some this weekend!

Mainly looked at Yamaha models, the P35, P105 and P155.

Not going to lie, they didn't feel/sound worlds apart to me :P Mainly because I haven't been playing the piano recently I think and so any subtle differences were lost. On that note, I'm guessing once I get back into the swing of things, playing regularly I might then start to notice the smaller details.

The prices were (for the basic keyboard with 2 year warranty), £350, £500 and £1100 respectively. I think I would get a 'proper' pedal for it (designed like a normal piano, rather than a small pad), and a half decent stool, along with a stand, which all would obviously add to the price, making the P155 rather pricey frown

The pricing of the P155 in Europe is a complete ripoff. The under £1000 models from Casio and Kawai are much better propositions so long as the keys agree with you.

I think I would get a 'proper' pedal for it (designed like a normal piano, rather than a small pad), and a half decent stool, along with a stand, which all would obviously add to the price, making the P155 rather pricey frown

I sold my Yamaha P155 to get a Kawai ES7. I strongly recommend you to have a go at ES7 before committing to P155.
Posted By: Clayman Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/01/13 08:34 AM
That is only if GeorgeStorm is willing to spend additional 400 quid above his initial budget.
Originally Posted by ONfrank

The pricing of the P155 in Europe is a complete ripoff. The under £1000 models from Casio and Kawai are much better propositions so long as the keys agree with you.

I'll probably be happy with whatever I get actually :P Just need to make sure I get something that's good value for money (buying a new P155 doesn't seem to be)

Originally Posted by iceporky

I sold my Yamaha P155 to get a Kawai ES7. I strongly recommend you to have a go at ES7 before committing to P155.

From a quick google, the ES7 seems to be even more pricey than the P155! frown

Originally Posted by Clayman
That is only if GeorgeStorm is willing to spend additional 400 quid above his initial budget.

Exactly, at the moment I'm probably leaning towards the P35/105 if buying new (purely based on cost).
I've now been offered a DGX-630B with stool and pedal for £500, hadn't looked at that model at all.
But I'm guessing the stand can be taken apart, so it may be quite good when compared to a P105 which would cost more?
The ES7 on sale at UK pianos at £1136 seems to include the very expensive official furniture stand and triple pedals along with a bench and headphones.
http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/kawai-es7

That looks an excellent deal and is only about £37 above what the P-155 costs on it's own.
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
The ES7 on sale at UK pianos at £1136 seems to include the very expensive official furniture stand and triple pedals along with a bench and headphones.
http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/kawai-es7

That looks an excellent deal and is only about £37 above what the P-155 costs on it's own.

I hadn't seen that, that does look pretty good, although still seems like a lot of money to me frown
It doesn't look like it actually shows/says what the extras exactly are but I may contact them to try and find out.

As I said above, I was leaning towards going for something nearer the £500 mark, but if you guys think the ES7 is really worth it I may see about being able to afford it.
Also what are the opinions on something like the YDP142 when compared to the P series?
Better or worse? If the stand can be relatively easily taken apart/put back together, then I could be willing to go for more that style of DP, rather than a purely portable model like the P series.

Looks like a YDP162 can be had with extras for less than £1000, if it can be taken apart without too many (hopefully none at all!) issues, and the quality will be better since it doesn't need to have the ability to be as portable as the P series, then it certainly appeals to me smile
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/03/13 03:55 PM
It's beginning to sound like the YDP162 is what you want. It's the cheapest console-style Yamaha that features the GH action. It's more-or-less on par with the P155, I'd say. The quality will not be better in any way that I'm aware of. Well, perhaps the speakers will be better...but still not particularly good.

The YDP142 is similar, but features the cheaper GHS action and is more comparable to the P105.

As a rule, console pianos are not higher quality than portable pianos of equivalent price/level.
It's beginning to sound like the YDP162 is what you want. It's the cheapest console-style Yamaha that features the GH action. It's more-or-less on par with the P155, I'd say. The quality will not be better in any way that I'm aware of. Well, perhaps the speakers will be better...but still not particularly good.

The YDP142 is similar, but features the cheaper GHS action and is more comparable to the P105.

As a rule, console pianos are not higher quality than portable pianos of equivalent price/level.

Well, the main reason it sounds like a good idea to me is I'm assuming it will be of a similar quality to the P155 (with the same action), but is £200 less :P (losing some portability obviously).

Fair enough, I was hoping they would be (since they don't have to be portable).
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/04/13 02:02 PM
Yeah I'm stuck in US pricing, where the P155 is cheaper than the YDP162. Whichever of those is cheaper is probably the way to go.

Don't forget the new Kawai ES100 as well.
Yeah I'm stuck in US pricing, where the P155 is cheaper than the YDP162. Whichever of those is cheaper is probably the way to go.

Yeah, the P155 is roughly £1100 and the YDP162 £900 it seems.

Had a quick google, doesn't seem to be available? How's it going to compare to the ES7?
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/04/13 02:34 PM
The ES7 uses an upgraded action and also upgraded sounds. The ES100 is kind of a stripped down ES6, which was the predecessor of the ES7. But then, it's a ton cheaper too.

It's brand new, so I'm not sure when it will actually be purchasable but I would expect pretty soon.

Yeah, the P155 is roughly £1100 and the YDP162 £900 it seems.

Had a quick google, doesn't seem to be available? How's it going to compare to the ES7?

George, I wouldn't get the overpriced ES7. The overlooked feature that really matters on a digital is whether the keys thump hard (excessive noise caused by hard bottoming out of the keys).

The thumping is extremely annoying to the point that it will drive you away from the instrument. Even some $2000 digitals have terrible thumping.

You shouldn't have to pay a huge premium (eg. ES7) for something so basic.

As for sounds, I think only the Casios still lag behind in providing an acceptable sound generator.

Wait for the ES100.
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/04/13 05:26 PM
GeorgeStorm: First rule of digital piano forum is not to listen to anything StarvingLion says, on any subject. It may not be obvious from this thread but he's a hideous troll who knows nothing about digital pianos and just comes around to raise feathers. He is literally the worst such troll I've ever seen, so please overlook his comments whenever they come up. If something he says makes sense, it will be by dumb luck.
Posted By: peterws Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/04/13 06:39 PM
"As for sounds, I think only the Casios still lag behind in providing an acceptable sound generator."

You`ll surely be aware that many pianos with the same sound generator are not equal. Not even close . . .SuperNatural is not SuperConsistant across the range; very misleading.

It`ll be the same with the other brands. It`s all in the peripherals! So you need a Peripheral Piano for best results.

I have one . . . Doesn`t sound much like a Concert grand - but I don`t care . . . I like it!
Posted By: kapelli Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/04/13 07:55 PM
Depending on your need for bells&whisthles, you can also look at the Kawai CL models and Roland F-20 and RP-301
"As for sounds, I think only the Casios still lag behind in providing an acceptable sound generator."

You`ll surely be aware that many pianos with the same sound generator are not equal. Not even close . . .SuperNatural is not SuperConsistant across the range; very misleading.

It`ll be the same with the other brands. It`s all in the peripherals! So you need a Peripheral Piano for best results.

I have one . . . Doesn`t sound much like a Concert grand - but I don`t care . . . I like it!

Too early to tell about the Roland F-20
Posted By: Tritium Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/05/13 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by StarvingLion

Too early to tell about the Roland F-20

But not too early for many of us normal, reasonable PianoWorld Forum members to have identified you as a ridiculous troll, months ago. But like a bad penny, you keep on turning up.
Posted By: Sarah C Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/05/13 12:51 PM
I've now been offered a DGX-630B with stool and pedal for £500, hadn't looked at that model at all.
But I'm guessing the stand can be taken apart, so it may be quite good when compared to a P105 which would cost more?

I'm looking at a DGX-650, and getting it with a different stand (I'm tall and would rather have the keyboard a little higher). I'll get the piano with both stands, so I'm hoping its easy-ish to move between them.
Haven't had the chance to look at any over the weekend, in what ways is the YDP162 worse than the P155? Since if it's not really then it does sound rather good (being cheaper than the P155 in the UK)

That said I don't mind waiting a bit if the ES100 will be a real contender, and I haven't looked at Roland/most other companies partially deliberately, as even just looking at Yamaha I'm struggling to choose :P
Posted By: peterws Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/07/13 10:06 AM
They have a DGX650 in my local shop. It has the new "Sound Engine" or whatever, and other features which my 630 doesn`t have.

Let us know how you get on with it, will ya?
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 10/07/13 02:24 PM
Haven't had the chance to look at any over the weekend, in what ways is the YDP162 worse than the P155? Since if it's not really then it does sound rather good (being cheaper than the P155 in the UK)

I would say they are pretty comparable. Nothing jumps out as worse in the YDP162 at first glance. If the YDP is cheaper, it's a fine way to go.

That said I don't mind waiting a bit if the ES100 will be a real contender, and I haven't looked at Roland/most other companies partially deliberately, as even just looking at Yamaha I'm struggling to choose :P

Yeah, option shock is an issue. Still, in a given price range there are usually only one or two pianos per brand and there's quite a bit of difference across brands. Might make sense to investigate whether you prefer Roland or Kawai pianos overall before honing in on the actual model you want.

I would say they are pretty comparable. Nothing jumps out as worse in the YDP162 at first glance. If the YDP is cheaper, it's a fine way to go.

Yeah, option shock is an issue. Still, in a given price range there are usually only one or two pianos per brand and there's quite a bit of difference across brands. Might make sense to investigate whether you prefer Roland or Kawai pianos overall before honing in on the actual model you want.

Fair enough, well I'll leave it a little, see if the ES100 is any good, how much etc. Spending some money on my PC so I don't mind putting off the big outlay for a little bit :P

At the moment I think the YDP162 is at the top of the list.
So it's been a little while, where as I said I've been spending money on my computer and doing some things to it, however now that I've almost finished that, I can focus on this again, finally get something ordered and start playing!

Done some quick googling of the ES100, seems to have some good reviews, but sadly it may not even be released in Europe, and even if it is it won't be for at least a month, which is longer that I really want to wait. frown

I've been looking at ukpianos, but I've read a couple of potentially iffy things about them here, anyone have any personal experience with them? Their trustpilot seems good.

They also have some brands I haven't heard mentioned at much on their, which according to the owner of the site, some of which are quite good (broadway, roland, classenti?)
His own personal opinion on the ones he stocks (or most of at least)
http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/howard-score-including-prices

Opinions?
So it's been a little while, where as I said I've been spending money on my computer and doing some things to it, however now that I've almost finished that, I can focus on this again, finally get something ordered and start playing!

Done some quick googling of the ES100, seems to have some good reviews, but sadly it may not even be released in Europe, and even if it is it won't be for at least a month, which is longer that I really want to wait. frown

I've been looking at ukpianos, but I've read a couple of potentially iffy things about them here, anyone have any personal experience with them? Their trustpilot seems good.

They also have some brands I haven't heard mentioned at much on their, which according to the owner of the site, some of which are quite good (broadway, roland, classenti?)

Opinions?

According to the Howard Scoring System, the P-105 is every bit as good as the Casio Px-850 as they have the same score. Also, the Roland F-20 is as good as the P-155 but is $200 cheaper. The Casio PX-150 is near the very bottom. This pretty much mirrors my own opinion.

While the P-105 gets a pretty low score for action, its score for sound is not that much worse than a Roland FP-80. Its too bad he hasn't reviewed the Kawai Mp-10 and ES7 yet. The Kawai CA95 gets a very disappointing score though.

Basically the Roland HP507 is regarded as the best dp at the best price. I have the same opinion. That probably is the most objective evaluation of dp's I've ever seen.

Opinions?

According to the Howard Scoring System, the P-105 is every bit as good as the Casio Px-850 as they have the same score. Also, the Roland F-20 is as good as the P-155 but is $200 cheaper. The Casio PX-150 is near the very bottom. This pretty much mirrors my own opinion.

While the P-105 gets a pretty low score for action, its score for sound is not that much worse than a Roland FP-80. Its too bad he hasn't reviewed the Kawai Mp-10 and ES7 yet. The Kawai CA95 gets a very disappointing score though.

Basically the Roland HP507 is regarded as the best dp at the best price. I have the same opinion. That probably is the most objective evaluation of dp's I've ever seen.

Glad to hear that the rating is probably a half decent way of narrowing down the options.
As you said it's a pity he hasn't reviewed more of the kawai models since I've heard a lot of good things about them.
Looking to buy sometime this week, so if anyone finds any deals/offers/sales that may help then then please link them here smile
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/18/13 12:24 PM

Opinions?

Glad to hear that the rating is probably a half decent way of narrowing down the options.
As you said it's a pity he hasn't reviewed more of the kawai models since I've heard a lot of good things about them.
Looking to buy sometime this week, so if anyone finds any deals/offers/sales that may help then then please link them here smile

I too saw the ukpianos website while I was looking to buy a new digital piano. I was too interested in the Classenti, but then I saw this:
http://azpianonews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/review-classenti-cdp1-cdp2-cdp3-gr1.html

Basically the guy at ukpianos is the only guy selling Classenti in the UK, so of course he will recommend them. It's a Chinese "white brand" piano that is later sold under different names.

He hasn't updated the Kawai CA95, he says "Shockingly expensive, but rather nice! If you're looking for the very best digital piano that money can buy, then the Kawai CA95 is worth comparing" but then describes the CA93. As per "shockingly" expensive I really found the Yamahas far more expensive than the Kawai when you compare what they give for your money. Same thing with the CA65.

I haven't had the chance to try the Roland HP507, but found that the HP505 and even the LX15 had noisy keys. If you can find it in a showroom definitely give it a go, recently somebody bought it after trying it directly against a Kawai CA95, personal preference to the touch and sound is very important.

I'm very happy with my CA65, for what is worth.
Originally Posted by evamar

Opinions?

I too saw the ukpianos website while I was looking to buy a new digital piano. I was too interested in the Classenti, but then I saw this:
http://azpianonews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/review-classenti-cdp1-cdp2-cdp3-gr1.html

Basically the guy at ukpianos is the only guy selling Classenti in the UK, so of course he will recommend them. It's a Chinese "white brand" piano that is later sold under different names.

He hasn't updated the Kawai CA95, he says "Shockingly expensive, but rather nice! If you're looking for the very best digital piano that money can buy, then the Kawai CA95 is worth comparing" but then describes the CA93. As per "shockingly" expensive I really found the Yamahas far more expensive than the Kawai when you compare what they give for your money. Same thing with the CA65.

I haven't had the chance to try the Roland HP507, but found that the HP505 and even the LX15 had noisy keys. If you can find it in a showroom definitely give it a go, recently somebody bought it after trying it directly against a Kawai CA95, personal preference to the touch and sound is very important.

I'm very happy with my CA65, for what is worth.

Yeah I saw some things about them, but to be fair he hasn't tried pushing classenti at all when I asked him a couple of questions.

Sadly both of those Kawai models are a little out of my budget :P (they do look lovely though!)
According to the Howard Scoring System, the P-105 is every bit as good as the Casio Px-850 as they have the same score. Also... the Casio PX-150 is near the very bottom.

I think that page is pretty useless.

I don't know what would make his opinion more valid than someone else's.

I also would not put much weight on the accuracy of assigning a hard number to any subjective (non-measurable) attribute.

Also, your conclusion of "every bit as good as" isn't really accurate, even if two things have the same numbers and even if you accept those numbers. He points out that a given number is based on numerous parameters. Therefore, if piano A is better at X but piano B is equally better at Y, they may end up with the same number... it does not mean they feel identical, or that someone else might not not prefer one over the other, based on assigning different weights to items X and Y.

(edit: mistaken paragraph deleted)

And AFAIK, the action of the PX-150 and PX-850 are identical, so I don't understand the rationale for rating one's touch 3 points over the other.

People just love to see everything reduced to a number, even when it's not sensible. It makes it easier to make a buying decision. And I think that's the point of this chart, apparently assembled by someone who owns a piano store. You may happen to share his opinions, but that certainly doesn't make them right for everyone.
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/18/13 02:07 PM
I had a Kawai CL25 before and the action was very good, so I had that one to compare to other digitals.

My original limit was also £1,000, I ended up with the CA65 after deciding to expand my limit to £1,500 and trading-in my old piano.

If you have something to sell and have found a good deal somewhere else, talk to Reidys as they accept to take old pianos and will match best prices... even with some space for further negotiation, like reducing the price if you don't want the stool or headphones, or just offering even a bit less. They know their margins, we don't.

Had I stuck to my original price I was very close to buy a Kawai CN24, and would really have liked to try a CL36. After talking to Reidys I would have got a CN34 for £950 but decided to give a go to the CA65.

As per other makers, I didn't like the Yamaha YDP162 at all and found the Casio AP450 quite decent at the price. I liked the Rolands but noisy keys and I didn't like the Korgs. But really, personal taste. You have to try them in person.

OR, you could go for the second hand market and save some money, as you are only looking at an entry to intermediate level piano. You should find some good bargains at ebay. Just make sure that you do try them because with time the keys might be noisy.

I was looking at the list as a be all and end all, but merely to try and narrow the choice down slightly to then start doing more serious research into some models.

I don't have a current piano to sell.

I'll have a look on ebay, but last time I looked I don't remember there being many options, since most were collection only which isn't really an option for me. I'm more than happy to go 2nd hand, value for money is a big priority here since I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping it (potentially for less than a year)
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/18/13 03:33 PM
They also have some brands I haven't heard mentioned at much on their, which according to the owner of the site, some of which are quite good (broadway, roland, classenti?) His own personal opinion on the ones he stocks (or most of at least)

Roland is a terrific brand. It has a tendency to be expensive for what you get, though. But pricing does vary by location. There are many Roland models that have a great reputation and that many of us would not hesitate to recommend if you find them at the right price.

Broadway, Classenti, and other generic brands don't have a good reputation here or elsewhere. If that Howard guy wasn't a salesman I doubt he would have brought them up or rated them at all favorably. Generally speaking they aren't in the same league as the pianos we tend to recommend.

There's always a problem getting advice on pianos from a retailer. They have perverse incentives. If you want the advice of a biased source who has a financial incentive for you to buy one piano or another, just walk into a piano store and ask the first salesman you see which piano you should buy. I'm sure he or she will be able to rank the models they have in stock and tell you which they think you should get.
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/18/13 03:37 PM

Never take anything StavingLion says seriously. He's a troll with little/no knowledge or experience in digital pianos. He came here for advice and purchased his first digital just the other day and since then has returned periodically to start fights. There's no consistency in his opinions except that he says whatever he thinks will cause an uproar--in this case endorsing a retailer's self-serving ranking. Listening to his advice is no better than flipping a coin and in many cases is worse.
Posted By: Carey Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/18/13 03:39 PM

Really, do you think most people would say that the Korg SP-170 actions is "every bit as good as" the Kawai MP10? Even if you're not a fan of the MP10, they are so wildly different that I doubt many people would consider those two anything like equivalent. I suppose it's possible that someone could dislike both of them equally, even for very different reasons, but I have a hard time believing that anybody who really likes one would like the other just as much. (I also doubt there would be any kind of consensus that the Yamahap P-35 feels better than the MP10, as he puts forth as well.)

The list ranks the Kurzweil MP-10...NOT the Kawai MP-10 (which he hasn't reviewed yet).
Originally Posted by carey

The list ranks the Kurzweil MP-10...NOT the Kawai MP-10 (which he hasn't reviewed yet).

Whoops! Thank you for that catch! I will edit my original post as well.

Never take anything StavingLion says seriously. He's a troll with little/no knowledge or experience in digital pianos. He came here for advice and purchased his first digital just the other day and since then has returned periodically to start fights. There's no consistency in his opinions except that he says whatever he thinks will cause an uproar--in this case endorsing a retailer's self-serving ranking. Listening to his advice is no better than flipping a coin and in many cases is worse.

Haha fair enough.

Thanks for clearing it up about the brands. I've been doing some quick looking at Kawai on thomann and seen some which I could be able to afford, the cheapest being the CL26w for £500:
The CL36 for £750 and then the CN24 for £1050ish

I like the look of the Kawai models, are either of these worth considering?

When it comes to Yamaha vs Casio I'm definitely leaning towards Yamaha since trying a couple of them and finding the action fine, whereas I haven't tried a Casio, and don't want to risk it since it seems to divide opinions quite heavily.

For Yamaha there's the YDP162 (£850-900), YDP-S51 (£750-800)

Or the Roland F-120 for £800-850.

Any of them any good? Or are they all worth considering :P
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/18/13 04:08 PM
I was looking at the list as a be all and end all, but merely to try and narrow the choice down slightly to then start doing more serious research into some models.

I'll have a look on ebay, but last time I looked I don't remember there being many options, since most were collection only which isn't really an option for me. I'm more than happy to go 2nd hand, value for money is a big priority here since I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping it (potentially for less than a year)

I got my CL25 second hand through ebay, weight around 30 kilos, delivery was £28 with interparcel.com I think. It was supposed to be collection only but the seller accepted to prepare it for courier collection and asked for an extra 10 quid for time and materials to wrap it nicely, and it was well protected. But then one key had issues, that's why I say that it's much better to try them in person. At that point I wasn't sure I would stick to the piano, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money either.

Many consoles can be dismantled for easy transport, or you could go for a slab. Those should be easy to post or to arrange for courier collection.

Or if you find something close, it shouldn't be too expensive to get a man & a van. I just got a gorgeous old large wardrobe delivered for £50 including dismantling, delivery and reassembly, 12 miles. And hiring your own van for the day is also very cheap. If you are not in a ground floor you really need to look at lighter pianos, though.

Check out gumtree too.
Posted By: Carey Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/18/13 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by carey

Whoops! Thank you for that catch! I will edit my original post as well.

No problem - I did exactly the same thing when first looking at the list. grin

I got my CL25 second hand through ebay, weight around 30 kilos, delivery was £28 with interparcel.com I think. It was supposed to be collection only but the seller accepted to prepare it for courier collection and asked for an extra 10 quid for time and materials to wrap it nicely, and it was well protected. But then one key had issues, that's why I say that it's much better to try them in person. At that point I wasn't sure I would stick to the piano, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money either.

Many consoles can be dismantled for easy transport, or you could go for a slab. Those should be easy to post or to arrange for courier collection.

Or if you find something close, it shouldn't be too expensive to get a man & a van. I just got a gorgeous old large wardrobe delivered for £50 including dismantling, delivery and reassembly, 12 miles. And hiring your own van for the day is also very cheap. If you are not in a ground floor you really need to look at lighter pianos, though.

Check out gumtree too.

It will be used on the first floor of a house.
Regardless of the model I go for I would want to be able to easily dismantle it for transport (if I do decide to keep it for a longer time period).
I was originally looking at just the stage type ones (like the P155) but due to the relatively limited range I've expanded it to ones with stands as well, as long as they can easily be taken apart/put back together if/when I need to move them.
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/18/13 06:38 PM
I've expanded it to ones with stands as well, as long as they can easily be taken apart/put back together if/when I need to move them.

This factor, I think, compels you back to the Casio PX-150, Yamaha P105, or similar product. They are very easy to pick up and move around. I do not think you can go wrong with that type of choice.

If you start getting into those consoles you are asking for trouble when you want to move it around. Sure, it can be done, but .... good luck.

Yes, they're all good instruments, however players often have difference keyboard and sound preferences. This is why it's important to play-test all of the models you are interested in and draw your own conclusions.

Best of luck!

James
x
Originally Posted by dmd
I've expanded it to ones with stands as well, as long as they can easily be taken apart/put back together if/when I need to move them.

This factor, I think, compels you back to the Casio PX-150, Yamaha P105, or similar product. They are very easy to pick up and move around. I do not think you can go wrong with that type of choice.

If you start getting into those consoles you are asking for trouble when you want to move it around. Sure, it can be done, but .... good luck.

Fair enough, I'll only be moving it once a year most likely though.

Yes, they're all good instruments, however players often have difference keyboard and sound preferences. This is why it's important to play-test all of the models you are interested in and draw your own conclusions.

Best of luck!

James
x

Yeah fair enough, I've tried a couple, and since I didn't feel a massive difference between the P35/105/155 I think I'll be happy with whatever I get :P
I might be able to try out some more this weekend, but I'm not sure how many will be available.
I think I might just pick something at random :P since I just want to get it bought, the longer I wait the worse value they become. (since I may only keep it till June)

If I go for a portable model, what other decent models are available in Europe? (apart from the Yamahas and Casios?)

Edit:
Having spoken to my parents about the budget, they have half persuaded me to go for the top end/extend it a little if it's worth it, since it really could be a good investment.
Taking that into account, if I were to be happy to spend a little north of £1000 does that get me more?
My first thought is the ES7 mentioned earlier in the thread, available with a basic stand and headphones for less than £1100.
If I'm going to spend more, I'd probably lean more towards a more portable solution, since if I want to keep it for longer I'll be moving it more.
Just checked, and the stage pianos aren't much lighter than the console ones! :P
(22kg for the ES7)

Definitely leaning towards a stage one though, means I need to start thinking about a stand/pedals etc.

Seen this which I think might be ideal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawai-ES7...nstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item2a3422726e
Just checked, and the stage pianos aren't much lighter than the console ones! :P
(22kg for the ES7)

Definitely leaning towards a stage one though, means I need to start thinking about a stand/pedals etc.

Thats a good deal considering that this one is a scratch and dent for almost 500 more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawai-ES-7-...t=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item53ffd6ff85
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/19/13 08:04 PM
(22kg for the ES7)

I didn't have any problem moving my almost 30Kg CL25 on my own to the first floor... and I'm not a particularly fit woman...

That looks like a good price and it includes everything. As he kept the box it should be easy to arrange for collection by courier, and the cost would be around 30 quid, so not bad!
Compare courier prices interparcel.com, postagesupermarket.com and pharosparcel.com are the ones I tend to use the most for heavy parcels.

But quick, it's almost gone!

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
(22kg for the ES7)

Thats a good deal considering that this one is a scratch and dent for almost 500 more.

(22kg for the ES7)

I didn't have any problem moving my almost 30Kg CL25 on my own to the first floor... and I'm not a particularly fit woman...

That looks like a good price and it includes everything. As he kept the box it should be easy to arrange for collection by courier, and the cost would be around 30 quid, so not bad!
Compare courier prices interparcel.com, postagesupermarket.com and pharosparcel.com are the ones I tend to use the most for heavy parcels.

Good luck!

Argh I missed it, completely slipped my mind due to doing stuff with my housemates :((((((((
That's seriously annoying.

Right, I'm thinking either Yamaha or Kawei, budget of a little over £1000 for everything. Probably don't need a stool as I can use a chair for now, but if I go for a stage keyboard I'd need pedals and stand.

The ES7 looks to be the best bet when it comes to stage piano due to the P155 being overpriced?
Less sure on the console models since the Yamaha ones are sensibly priced.

I'm obviously more than happy to spend well under budget if you guys don't think anything is worth the extra.
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/19/13 11:12 PM
The ES7 looks to be the best bet

If you can stretch to the ES7, I would highly recommend that.

Then you will have a piano that will serve you for a long time to come.

Be sure to get the stand that comes with it.
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/19/13 11:30 PM
(22kg for the ES7)

(22kg for the ES7)

Good luck!

Argh I missed it, completely slipped my mind due to doing stuff with my housemates :((((((((

Right, I'm thinking either Yamaha or Kawei, budget of a little over £1000 for everything. Probably don't need a stool as I can use a chair for now, but if I go for a stage keyboard I'd need pedals and stand.

The ES7 looks to be the best bet when it comes to stage piano due to the P155 being overpriced?

I'm obviously more than happy to spend well under budget if you guys don't think anything is worth the extra.

There is a E6 also with everything for 675. This might be a good option too as you lost the E7. 6 watchers already.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWAI-ES-...nstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item1e8334cb5d

The seller thinks that 50 quid delivery should make it, so under your budget. I would contact him and try to negotiate a bit.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by dmd
The ES7 looks to be the best bet

If you can stretch to the ES7, I would highly recommend that.

Then you will have a piano that will serve you for a long time to come.

Be sure to get the stand that comes with it.

Which stand is that?

(22kg for the ES7)

(22kg for the ES7)

Good luck!

There is a E6 also with everything for 675. This might be a good option too as you lost the E7. 6 watchers already.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWAI-ES-...nstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item1e8334cb5d

The seller thinks that 50 quid delivery should make it, so under your budget. I would contact him and try to negotiate a bit.

Good luck!

How does the ES6 compare to the ES7?
"How does the ES6 compare to the ES7?"

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1971291/Kawai%20ES6%20vs%20ES7.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1971291/Kawai%20ES6%20vs%20ES7.html

Thanks for the link smile
So it sounds like it quite a downgrade! But at that price it's probably £4-500 cheaper than an ES7/P155 which would be its competitors.

With that stand it's basically a console style piano so I guess I would also have to compare it to things like the YDP162, YDPS51, CN24, CN34 maybe (although they are rather heavy! 40-60kg according to thomann). Not sure how easily those are dismantled though?

Thanks for the link smile
So it sounds like it quite a downgrade! But at that price it's probably £4-500 cheaper than an ES7/P155 which would be its competitors.

With that stand it's basically a console style piano so I guess I would also have to compare it to things like the YDP162, YDPS51, CN24, CN34 maybe (although they are rather heavy! 40-60kg according to thomann). Not sure how easily those are dismantled though?

I'm not sure its "quite a downgrade". If you look in the Hp505 vs Mp10 thread there a couple of posters who don't believe there is any benefit in a 3rd sensor. Also, the argument that es7 is structurally stronger and produces less key clatter noise is a bit strange when you consider the big selling point of the ES100 is quiet keys.

I've found the Kawai pricing in North America quite bizarre. For example, I have to wonder if an ES100 ($800) with a software piano is actually better piano experience than the ES7 ($1900). Another example, the VPC1 with long wooden keys is actually cheaper than the Es7.

I'm not saying the ES7 is bad, just that its hard to figure out why so many people keep claiming its so special.
Posted By: gvfarns Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/20/13 07:22 PM
when you consider the big selling point of the ES100 is quiet keys.

I wish you would stop saying this. It's not true and the repetition is getting annoying. When people talk about noisy keys they talk about Roland, principally. The other manufacturers are moderate. Kawai has something of a reputation for quieter keys but this mostly comes from the wooden actions, not particularly the plastic ones.

You won't find a pamphlet talking about how the ES100 features special stealth key technology, nor have people particularly commented on that here. There's certainly no reason to think its keys are quieter than those of the ES7 or especially Kawai's wooden actions.

It seems like you are attempting to transition from being a pure troll to being a real forum member, but that starts with saying only true things, or at least things that you know something about, even if it is second hand.
when you consider the big selling point of the ES100 is quiet keys.

I wish you would stop saying this. It's not true and the repetition is getting annoying. When people talk about noisy keys they talk about Roland, principally. The other manufacturers are moderate. Kawai has something of a reputation for quieter keys but this mostly comes from the wooden actions, not particularly the plastic ones.

You won't find a pamphlet talking about how the ES100 features special stealth key technology, nor have people particularly commented on that here. There's certainly no reason to think its keys are quieter than those of the ES7 or especially Kawai's wooden actions.

It seems like you are attempting to transition from being a pure troll to being a real forum member, but that starts with saying only true things, or at least things that you know something about, even if it is second hand.

I'm not the one making any claims about ES100 keys...Daniel Richter is in a **sticky** topic:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2167459/1.html

[ES100]"Key action feel realistic like Casio's PX models, but produce a lot less noise when pressing and releasing the keys."

AND Praskins in his usual hyped filled review of anything Kawai: http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/2013...014-best-buy-under-1000-dollars-new.html

"The ES100 was obviously designed to do a few things extremely well in its price range and that include having a noticeably superior and sturdy (and quiet going both up & down) heavy duty graded hammer key action "

PLUS Praskins believes the ES100 keys are better than Yamaha GH found only in $1499 models: http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/search?updated-max=2013-11-06T21:35:00-07:00&max-results=1

"The upgraded Yamaha GH key action is definitely quieter in movement and gives a more solid and natural feel overall...but that key action is not in Yamaha models until a minimum of $1499."

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/2013...014-best-buy-under-1000-dollars-new.html

"In my opinion the key action [ES100] is noticeably smoother and more realistic than the Yamaha GHS and GH key action found in the lower and higher priced Yamaha DGX and Arius models (including Clavinova CLP430/440 GH3), Roland ivory-G action, and a few other brands"

----------------

"A lot less noise"...."quiet...sturdy...heavy duty"...

Either the gold standard sub-$1000 PX- Casio's key action is as noisy as heck or several outrageous claims of ES100 key noise superiority are being made by people other than moi.

Why else would Marko recommend it as filling the gap?

Posted By: pv88 Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/21/13 08:03 AM
Hey, just forget about all of these pianos (above) since yo ain't gonna git decent sound from anything less than an AvantGrand, or, the V-Piano. Actually, even the upper echelon digitals can't match a relatively cheap acoustic upright piano. It may not be pleasant news although it's the truth.
Originally Posted by pv88
Hey, just forget about all of these pianos (above) since yo ain't gonna git decent sound from anything less than an AvantGrand, or, the V-Piano. Actually, even the upper echelon digitals can't match a relatively cheap acoustic upright piano. It may not be pleasant news although it's the truth.

Haha, may be, but this is something that ideally I'd want to be able to move in a car (otherwise I'll have to sell it in June) and also being able to play with headphones will definitely be something I think my housemates and neighbours would appreciate.

Also of course my budget limits me somewhat as well.

I think I'll go for that ES6, since I don't think I could get anything as good for the price/better without spending quite a bit more?
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/21/13 12:36 PM
I think I'll go for that ES6, since I don't think I could get anything as good for the price/better without spending quite a bit more?

Was this a mis-type ? Did you mean to say ES7 ? I didn't see much encouraging discussion about the ES6 in this thread.
Originally Posted by dmd

Was this a mis-type ? Did you mean to say ES7 ? I didn't see much encouraging discussion about the ES6 in this thread.

I was referring to the ES6 on ebay linked above.

However since then I've had a response from thomann with regards to a couple of questions I asked them (about recommendations and how easily console type digital pianos can be taken apart)

The console pianos are also easy to move and you can defix the 4 screws from the stand and move the stand and the piano seperate.

I will suggest you these three models:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ydp_162_r_arius.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_cn24_r.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_clp430r.htm much better then the other both

I hadn't looked at the CLP430 before due to it's cost, but I guess it would be similar to a P155 with stand etc (probably still a bit more)
Hearing that the console types should be relatively easy to dismantle and then transport is encouraging, but it's another £500 over the ES6 smirk

The YDP162 and CN24 I had already looked at a little so it comes down to how big the differences between them all will be, and as a result whether they'll be worth the extra each respectively.

One advantage of buying new would be the warranty, although I'm not sure how likely these things are to develop a fault etc?
Posted By: paulbds Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/21/13 02:09 PM
Hi, first post on the Forum

I have had the same dilemma - wanted to get back playing the piano after a break of several years

I looked at a whole range of digital pianos but settled on a Yamaha DGX650

I thought I would try this out for a few months and if I keep up practice/hobby could always upgrade at a later date.
I realise it's not ideal.. I was looking at a Yamaha CVP601 but need to justify the amount of use/time I can devote to the hobby....I have several other interests plus a very busy day job

Deal breaker for me was - it is on offer at Amazon for £540 this week. I guess I would get my money back if I want to sell/upgrade in the future, have 2 year warranty and if all that fails, i of the kids can always have it

Paul
Thanks for the information Paul smile

I've just been offered a CN24 from Thomann for £950, which is the same price as UKpianos, but since you guys seemed a bit iffy about ukpianos I'm more comfortable ordering from thomann.

I think it's between an ES7, CN24 or YDP162 as having the warranty appeals to me.
Will also need some headphones to go with the keyboard, since my current ones are high impedance so I'm looking at replacing them for some thing decent that will be usable with the piano.
Posted By: peterws Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/22/13 04:55 PM
You won`t lose a lot of money if you have to sell that; those models hold up better than most on ebay. I have the 630, it`s been great. Simple and effective; recording is easy. Have fun!
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/22/13 07:39 PM
Personally I didn't like the YDP162 at all. You might be better with a CL36 or a CN24, or if you really want to move it around, a ES7 or a CL36. You can move those by your own in needed.

Anyway if you are going to need a bench and headphones, I would contact some UK supplier such as Reidys and offer them those 950. Their 999 price includes delivery, bench and headphones as well as warranty. Delivery will be faster too, with an hour window, and they were very open to negotiation when I bought my CA65 from them.

If they don't take it, by the time you add the bench and headphones Thomann is still cheaper and you don't mind waiting a bit longer, go for Thomann.

You won`t lose a lot of money if you have to sell that; those models hold up better than most on ebay. I have the 630, it`s been great. Simple and effective; recording is easy. Have fun!

Not sure who that's in response to?

Personally I didn't like the YDP162 at all. You might be better with a CL36 or a CN24, or if you really want to move it around, a ES7 or a CL36. You can move those by your own in needed.

Anyway if you are going to need a bench and headphones, I would contact some UK supplier such as Reidys and offer them those 950. Their 999 price includes delivery, bench and headphones as well as warranty. Delivery will be faster too, with an hour window, and they were very open to negotiation when I bought my CA65 from them.

If they don't take it, by the time you add the bench and headphones Thomann is still cheaper and you don't mind waiting a bit longer, go for Thomann.

Fair enough, well as I said, I'll only be moving it a couple of times a year in theory. The ES7 is going to be at least £100 more expensive I think, and it doesn't really seem to have many advantages over the CN24, higher note polyphony (which I probably wouldn't notice :P), it uses the same key system I think, and obviously it's more portable.

I don't need a bench, I think I've got a chair which I could use without too many issues, and headphones wise I would want to either use my current set or sell them and get another decent set, rather than get a cheapish set just for the piano.

I'm leaning towards thomann because they've been helpful, and offered to decrease the price of it to £950 to try and match the others which they didn't have to do (since they don't have an official price match apparently).
May contact reidys though and see what they can offer.
I think the CN24 is the current top dog so to speak.
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/23/13 02:38 PM
Fair enough, well as I said, I'll only be moving it a couple of times a year in theory.

I would not even consider a console if that were the case for me. The difference in moving them is dramatic compared to something like the ES7.

it (the ES7) doesn't really seem to have many advantages over the CN24

I would suggest you go to ....

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/09_dpmain.html

and click on DIGITAL PIANOS, CN24 and ES7, and SPECS (at the bottom) and review them carefully. There are huge differences between these units ... USB Functions (for recording) and Rhythm Section to name two. For the price differential I, again, would not even consider the CN24.

If you have your heart set on a console, go for it. No problem. Just be aware that there ARE differences and they are on paper for now ... but after you purchase it, they will be real.

Good Luck
Originally Posted by dmd
Fair enough, well as I said, I'll only be moving it a couple of times a year in theory.

I would not even consider a console if that were the case for me. The difference in moving them is dramatic compared to something like the ES7.

it (the ES7) doesn't really seem to have many advantages over the CN24

I would suggest you go to ....

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/09_dpmain.html

and click on DIGITAL PIANOS, CN24 and ES7, and SPECS (at the bottom) and review them carefully. There are huge differences between these units ... USB Functions (for recording) and Rhythm Section to name two. For the price differential I, again, would not even consider the CN24.

If you have your heart set on a console, go for it. No problem. Just be aware that there ARE differences and they are on paper for now ... but after you purchase it, they will be real.

Good Luck

Oh really? I wouldn't have thought it would be that bad, I assume it couldn't take THAT long to take it apart, maybe a couple of extra hours each time it's moved?

I'm aware there are differences, but I didn't think there were too many that would really affect me.

I don't overly have my heart set on a console, I'd want something stable, which means I'd want a pretty decent stand, which means the cost of the ES7 gets further from the CN24.

I've just been told that the Roland FP-50 may be a better buy as well. I'm considering just ignoring that since at this rate I'll never choose :P

How have you found your audio interface by the way?
What stand would you recommend? Since most of the places seem to show pictures of it in a relatively heavy duty stand, which surely negates the portability?
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/23/13 04:29 PM
I assume it couldn't take THAT long to take it apart, maybe a couple of extra hours each time it's moved?

You are absolutely right and it certainly would not take long to take it apart. It is just the extra hassle of having to deal with the weight of things and getting it into a vehicle that I do not like to face each time. But you seem ok with that so ... it is not an issue for you.

I'm aware there are differences, but I didn't think there were too many that would really affect me.

You may be right. They would affect me because I like to record to mp3/wav files and add Rhythmic sounds (bass/drum) to my music. There is no LINEOUT on the CN24 so you cannot run the sound through external speakers (or a mixer) unless you send it from headphone jacks (some say this is not desirable).

But these are things that would affect me. It may not be needed by you. Just be aware there are significant differences between the CN24 and ES7.

I am not sure what you are referring to. My audio interface is listed at the bottom and I have had it for a while now, if that is what you are referring to.

What stand would you recommend?

The one that is designed for it from Kawai.

Since most of the places seem to show pictures of it in a relatively heavy duty stand, which surely negates the portability?
Not at all. I can pick up and move the entire piano with stand. When you disconnect the keyboard from the stand, each part can be handled by a single person easily.

Look, I am not trying to tell you that you MUST get and ES7. I just happen to have an ES7 so I know the quality of that unit. I also have been down the road of having a console dp and needing to move it and sell it. Both of those processes are more troublesome, in my opinion. Not insurmountable, just more troublesome.

Now, if there was something which made the CN24 superior to the ES7, and I valued those differences, I would get the CN24 also. I just happen to feel that the ES7 is better in every way so I would see no reason to go for the CN24 ... unless cost is a significant factor. If that is the case, you have to consider that also ... probably more-so than anything else.

Either way, I am sure if you go with the CN24, you will enjoy it. Kawai makes good machines.

Originally Posted by dmd
I assume it couldn't take THAT long to take it apart, maybe a couple of extra hours each time it's moved?

You are absolutely right and it certainly would not take long to take it apart. It is just the extra hassle of having to deal with the weight of things and getting it into a vehicle that I do not like to face each time. But you seem ok with that so ... it is not an issue for you.

You may be right. They would affect me because I like to record to mp3/wav files and add Rhythmic sounds (bass/drum) to my music. There is no LINEOUT on the CN24 so you cannot run the sound through external speakers (or a mixer) unless you send it from headphone jacks (some say this is not desirable).

But these are things that would affect me. It may not be needed by you. Just be aware there are significant differences between the CN24 and ES7.

I am not sure what you are referring to. My audio interface is listed at the bottom and I have had it for a while now, if that is what you are referring to.

What stand would you recommend?

The one that is designed for it from Kawai.

Since most of the places seem to show pictures of it in a relatively heavy duty stand, which surely negates the portability?
Not at all. I can pick up and move the entire piano with stand. When you disconnect the keyboard from the stand, each part can be handled by a single person easily.

Look, I am not trying to tell you that you MUST get and ES7. I just happen to have an ES7 so I know the quality of that unit. I also have been down the road of having a console dp and needing to move it and sell it. Both of those processes are more troublesome, in my opinion. Not insurmountable, just more troublesome.

Now, if there was something which made the CN24 superior to the ES7, and I valued those differences, I would get the CN24 also. I just happen to feel that the ES7 is better in every way so I would see no reason to go for the CN24 ... unless cost is a significant factor. If that is the case, you have to consider that also ... probably more-so than anything else.

Either way, I am sure if you go with the CN24, you will enjoy it. Kawai makes good machines.

Yeah that's fair enough, it will definitely be more of a hassle, obviously I wouldn't know unless I tried both exactly how much extra hassle :P
I'll be honest, I hadn't looked into the features that much, since at the moment the only things that matter are the touch/feel of the board which I think should be the same between them, but in the future it's very possible I'll end up wishing I had this/that feature.

Yeah, I'm wondering how you have it setup etc, since I need to work out if I want to replace my current headphones, get a cheap amp for the piano so I can use my current ones, or use some kind of audio interface somehow.

Do you mean this stand:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_hm4_b.htm
I assumed a console piano would be just as easy to take apart as the ES7 on that stand, but by the sound of it they wouldn't be?

Cost is a potential issue, since originally I had a budget of £1000, and the ES7 is £1100+ from most places apart from UKPianos without a stand etc. (it would cost £1350ish from thomann)
Which is £400 over the CN24 smirk

But it does look verrry nice....
Posted By: toddy Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/23/13 05:17 PM
A console piano is easy to take apart and put together - especially if you've done it a couple of times. But a piano like the ES7 with a well designed stand is far quicker.

But more important, it is made to be dismantled, whereas a console (designed as 'furniture') may suffer loosening of joints and bolting-points by being moved more than three or four times.

edit.... however, the stand for the Kawai ES7 seems to be similar to a lightweight console stand, really...I thought it was a stage-type stand with a single extending foot but it doesn't appear when I google!
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/23/13 05:56 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering how you have it setup etc, since I need to work out if I want to replace my current headphones, get a cheap amp for the piano so I can use my current ones, or use some kind of audio interface somehow.

Well, the audio interface is used to connect my computer to my mixer and the mixer is attached to my external speakers. I have my ES7 connected to my computer via MIDI to enable me to generate software sounds and those sounds go out to my audio interface, mixer, etc ...

The audio interface would not be involved with headphones connected to your digital piano.

I would not suggest getting a headphone amp for your old headphones. I would just get a good pair that do not need that.

Yes.

And you do not need the 3-pedal unit that is optional with that stand. The stand-alone pedal that comes with the ES7 will work just fine. I have the 3-pedal unit but do not use it because it feels like it is too close to me as I play.

A console piano is easy to take apart and put together - especially if you've done it a couple of times. But a piano like the ES7 with a well designed stand is far quicker.

But more important, it is made to be dismantled, whereas a console (designed as 'furniture') may suffer loosening of joints and bolting-points by being moved more than three or four times.

edit.... however, the stand for the Kawai ES7 seems to be similar to a lightweight console stand, really...I thought it was a stage-type stand with a single extending foot but it doesn't appear when I google!

That is something I worried about since I could be moving it that many times in the next year or two.
What type of stand is that? I'm open to using a more 'generic type of stand.

Originally Posted by dmd

Well, the audio interface is used to connect my computer to my mixer and the mixer is attached to my external speakers. I have my ES7 connected to my computer via MIDI to enable me to generate software sounds and those sounds go out to my audio interface, mixer, etc ...

The audio interface would not be involved with headphones connected to your digital piano.

I would not suggest getting a headphone amp for your old headphones. I would just get a good pair that do not need that.

Yes.

And you do not need the 3-pedal unit that is optional with that stand. The stand-alone pedal that comes with the ES7 will work just fine. I have the 3-pedal unit but do not use it because it feels like it is too close to me as I play.

Oh fair enough, yeah that was my original idea, sell my current pair and buy a new set.

A single pedal is all I would need, at least to begin with. I could just get a more generic stand, would save some money and make moving easier.
Posted By: toddy Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/23/13 10:48 PM
The stand I thought the ES7 was coupled with was this (or something similar):

http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_18860_spider_pro_schwarz.htm

(there are obviously many other stage stands that would be OK and cheaper, of course - only X stands are, perhaps, less good)

On the other hand, the ES7 official stand appears to be this flat-pack furniture style stand:

...I'm not sure that this stand would be more durable than a console style cabinet...Kawai James could perhaps advise on that, or those in this thread who've got this combination.
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/23/13 11:27 PM
I could just get a more generic stand, would save some money and make moving easier.

Yes, you can do that. I would not be in favor of doing that. Number 1, if you get a good solid generic stand, it will not save you much money (if any) and it may be a teeny bit easier to move, but not much. Number 2, I think it detracts considerably from the aesthetics of having a nice looking digital piano in your home. The ES7 with the furniture stand is a very nice looking piece of furniture. With a generic stand under it, it will look like a machine ... to me anyway. Not to mention, it may not be as stable, depending upon which stand you get.

Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/23/13 11:41 PM
Ron,

You have covered a lot of ground in this thread. From the way it sounds, you are getting squeezed financially with the options available to you.

I might suggest you go back to some of the original options and take the finances out of it. Then you can get everything you need without trying to skimp by with less than nice stuff.

The Casio PX-150, Casio PX-350, Yamaha P155, etc ... options are all reasonably nice options. Then you can get a nice piano bench for it, a nice furniture stand, good phones and you may still be within your budget.

It appears you are trying for "better" but sacrificing quality for peripheral items to make it work financially. Those lesser options are fine.

This would be my choice: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PX-350-...956&sr=8-2&keywords=casio+px+350

Then you would be finished and would have a very nice system to play with.

The stand I thought the ES7 was coupled with was this (or something similar):

http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_18860_spider_pro_schwarz.htm

(there are obviously many other stage stands that would be OK and cheaper, of course - only X stands are, perhaps, less good)

On the other hand, the ES7 official stand appears to be this flat-pack furniture style stand:

...I'm not sure that this stand would be more durable than a console style cabinet...Kawai James could perhaps advise on that, or those in this thread who've got this combination.

Yeah that flat pack style one is the one I've looked at, but as you said, I'm worried it will be no more portable than a console style piano.

Originally Posted by dmd
I could just get a more generic stand, would save some money and make moving easier.

Yes, you can do that. I would not be in favor of doing that. Number 1, if you get a good solid generic stand, it will not save you much money (if any) and it may be a teeny bit easier to move, but not much. Number 2, I think it detracts considerably from the aesthetics of having a nice looking digital piano in your home. The ES7 with the furniture stand is a very nice looking piece of furniture. With a generic stand under it, it will look like a machine ... to me anyway. Not to mention, it may not be as stable, depending upon which stand you get.

I'm only here for another 7 months, then home for a couple (where I won't use the piano since we have an acoustic) and then to uni for another 10 months. Looks aren't a priority right now, although I understand where you're coming from, and stability is definitely a concern.

Originally Posted by dmd
Ron,

You have covered a lot of ground in this thread. From the way it sounds, you are getting squeezed financially with the options available to you.

I might suggest you go back to some of the original options and take the finances out of it. Then you can get everything you need without trying to skimp by with less than nice stuff.

The Casio PX-150, Casio PX-350, Yamaha P155, etc ... options are all reasonably nice options. Then you can get a nice piano bench for it, a nice furniture stand, good phones and you may still be within your budget.

It appears you are trying for "better" but sacrificing quality for peripheral items to make it work financially. Those lesser options are fine.

This would be my choice: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PX-350-...956&sr=8-2&keywords=casio+px+350

Then you would be finished and would have a very nice system to play with.

Is this directed at me? (I can't see any Rons on this page?)
I'll answer it regardless, I can afford to increase my budget, I just start to get worried if it's worth spending that much.
The P155 is the same price as the ES7 basically. Headphones are a separate budget really, since I do have headphones I can use with the piano now (got my cheap headset I use for LANs, and some IEMs I use for work/travelling which would both work). If I want to get decent headphones for it the budget would come from my computer budget and whatever I get from selling my current pair, since most of the time they would be used with my PC.
The P155 is the same price as the ES7 basically.

In that case I would favour the ES7 - it absolutely destroys the P155.

When I was at uni (over 10 years ago...sigh), I had a Technics P50 in my room, placed on a decent stand - great board. If I was in the same position today, I'd opt for either an ES7 (for all-in-one use) or a VPC1 (for hooking up to a computer).

Best of luck with your decision!

Cheers,
James
x
The P155 is the same price as the ES7 basically.

In that case I would favour the ES7 - it absolutely destroys the P155.

When I was at uni (over 10 years ago...sigh), I had a Technics P50 in my room, pleaced on a decent stand - great board. If I was in the same position today, I'd opt for either an ES7 (for all-in-one use) or a VPC1 (for hooking up to a computer).

Best of luck with your decision!

Cheers,
James
x

Haha, that's the feeling I got (since normally it's more expensive)
You've brought up an interesting point, I've seen the VPC1, it's a similar price (if not slightly cheaper) than the ES7, and has wooden keys which sound interesting, but it's not really been mentioned. Is it because it can only be used with a computer? In theory I guess that would mean I could use it with my current headphones/speakers which would be nice, but might limit usability.
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/24/13 01:23 AM
I can afford to increase my budget, I just start to get worried if it's worth spending that much.

If you can afford it, trust me, it is worth it.

Like I said, I have an ES7 and I have gone through a number of digital pianos in the last 3 years and now I have settled on one that gives me the sound and playability which has ended my search for "better". Now, I just play it.

Good Luck
Is it because it can only be used with a computer? In theory I guess that would mean I could use it with my current headphones/speakers which would be nice, but might limit usability.

Correct. The VPC1 does not feature any built-in tone generator - it needs to be connected to a computer, sound module, or another instrument in order for the keys to trigger sounds.

The disadvantage of this is that the VPC1 is not a 'stand-alone' instrument.
The advantage is that users of software pianos or other tone generating hardware are not paying extra for additional features they do not require.

Kind regards,
James
x
Originally Posted by dmd
I can afford to increase my budget, I just start to get worried if it's worth spending that much.

Like I said, I have an ES7 and I have gone through a number of digital pianos in the last 3 years and now I have settled on one that gives me the sound and playability which has ended my search for "better". Now, I just play it.

Good Luck

I agree with Don. It really is that good. I put the ES7 in every situation possible for a year. I can't imagine anything better and I still have not taken advantage of everything it has to offer.
Originally Posted by dmd

Good Luck

I'm definitely leaning towards it now, just need to work out where to buy it/what combo I would want.

Is it because it can only be used with a computer? In theory I guess that would mean I could use it with my current headphones/speakers which would be nice, but might limit usability.

Correct. The VPC1 does not feature any built-in tone generator - it needs to be connected to a computer, sound module, or another instrument in order for the keys to trigger sounds.

The disadvantage of this is that the VPC1 is not a 'stand-alone' instrument.
The advantage is that users of software pianos or other tone generating hardware are not paying extra for additional features they do not require.

Kind regards,
James
x

I think I would be playing near a PC at all times, at least for the foreseeable future, but if there are no playing advantages to the VPC1 then there's no point me considering it.

Originally Posted by dmd

Good Luck

I agree with Don. It really is that good. I put the ES7 in every situation possible for a year. I can't imagine anything better and I still have not taken advantage of everything it has to offer.

Glad to hear it smile
yah! boo! to all ES7 owners!!

(VPC1 owner)
Originally Posted by dire tonic

(VPC1 owner)

Feel free to try and convince me, I haven't bought anything yet :P

(VPC1 owner)

I was only having a larf!

I'd seriously considered the ES7 but at the time the local price for the ES7 package (inc pedals) was around 20% higher (VPC1 is pedals inc). As you must know by now, the ES7 has on-board sounds while the VPC1 is a sound-less controller.

For me, the VPC pros; price, cosmetics, deeper management (software), wooden keys pipped the major con; lack of immediacy of sound (just switch on the ES7 and it’s ready to play). In fact it was a significant reservation but I’ve streamlined my system now and from a cold start, laptop and all, I have sound in 15-20 secs so I’ve no regrets.

Both the ES7 and VPC1 have happy owners – you just need to evaluate for yourself.

(VPC1 owner)

I was only having a larf!

I'd seriously considered the ES7 but at the time the local price for the ES7 package (inc pedals) was around 20% higher (VPC1 is pedals inc). As you must know by now, the ES7 has on-board sounds while the VPC1 is a sound-less controller.

For me, the VPC pros; price, cosmetics, deeper management (software), wooden keys pipped the major con; lack of immediacy of sound (just switch on the ES7 and it’s ready to play). In fact it was a significant reservation but I’ve streamlined my system now and from a cold start, laptop and all, I have sound in 15-20 secs so I’ve no regrets.

Both the ES7 and VPC1 have happy owners – you just need to evaluate for yourself.

:P
I think to begin with I may just be going for a single pedal, and maybe a cross stand until I'm 100% sure I'll be keeping it for long enough to be worth spending more money on the 'extras'.
I do quite like the look of the VPC1, but I think the ES7 would be the safer option to go for.
Got this email earlier:

Hi,
I CAN DO THE KEYBOARD AND STAND FOR £1000 THE HEADPHONES ARE SENNHEISER 201 FREE.
HOPE THIS IS OK ,
PAUL @REIDYS

Ignoring the accidental caps lock, it sounds pretty good to me, just a basic stand, but at that price I can easily buy the nicer stand later etc.
For the ES7?

That's a pretty good deal.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/26/13 11:52 PM
Got this email earlier:

Hi,
I CAN DO THE KEYBOARD AND STAND FOR £1000 THE HEADPHONES ARE SENNHEISER 201 FREE.
HOPE THIS IS OK ,
PAUL @REIDYS

Ignoring the accidental caps lock, it sounds pretty good to me, just a basic stand, but at that price I can easily buy the nicer stand later etc.

Yes, that is a pretty good deal.

I do not like the "stand" part but if that is what it takes to get you into that ES7, I would say ... go for it.

I would get the stand that is made for it as soon as possible but I would never get the 3-pedal unit that attaches to that stand. My opinion ... the pedals are too close to the front of the keyboard which makes it awkward to use them. Again, my opinion.

For the ES7?

Cheers,
James
x

Yes it is.

Originally Posted by dmd
Got this email earlier:

Hi,
HOPE THIS IS OK ,
PAUL @REIDYS

I do not like the "stand" part but if that is what it takes to get you into that ES7, I would say ... go for it.

I would get the stand that is made for it as soon as possible but I would never get the 3-pedal unit that attaches to that stand. My opinion ... the pedals are too close to the front of the keyboard which makes it awkward to use them. Again, my opinion.

They don't seem to sell the nice stand, so not a lot of choice there, but I'm going to ask them about it anyway.
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/27/13 01:07 AM
For the ES7?

Cheers,
James
x

Yes it is.

Originally Posted by dmd
Got this email earlier:

Hi,
HOPE THIS IS OK ,
PAUL @REIDYS

They don't seem to sell the nice stand, so not a lot of choice there, but I'm going to ask them about it anyway.

It is shown as something you can purchase separately for 135 of those things they use for currency. (symbol looks like an L)

Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/27/13 09:02 AM
I also think it's a good deal for £1,000 (GBP, British Pounds)but add the proper stand as soon as you can. As it is listed at £135 I would offer £1,075 for them to replace the cheap stand and add the correct one instead... why not try? Reidys are definitely open to negotiation and if you buy it later on its own you are not in a strong position to negotiate.

Because it's portable you will be able to keep it for years to come if you want to, rather than having to sell it when you move.

Cannot comment about whether the 3 pedals are comfortable or not but they look a bit high. I think it includes the basic sustain pedal though. I have had this one with my previous dp and I can only advise to get used to fix its location to the middle of the piano, as I had a terrible bad habit of moving the bench and pedal to whatever part of the keybed I was using at the time. It's being difficult for me to stick to the middle now with fixed central pedals.

Originally Posted by dmd
For the ES7?

Cheers,
James
x

Yes it is.

Originally Posted by dmd
Got this email earlier:

Hi,
HOPE THIS IS OK ,
PAUL @REIDYS

It is shown as something you can purchase separately for 135 of those things they use for currency. (symbol looks like an L)

Ah I didn't see it since it didn't show it in the small picture.
I'll ask them about it.

I also think it's a good deal for £1,000 (GBP, British Pounds)but add the proper stand as soon as you can. As it is listed at £135 I would offer £1,075 for them to replace the cheap stand and add the correct one instead... why not try? Reidys are definitely open to negotiation and if you buy it later on its own you are not in a strong position to negotiate.

Because it's portable you will be able to keep it for years to come if you want to, rather than having to sell it when you move.

Cannot comment about whether the 3 pedals are comfortable or not but they look a bit high. I think it includes the basic sustain pedal though. I have had this one with my previous dp and I can only advise to get used to fix its location to the middle of the piano, as I had a terrible bad habit of moving the bench and pedal to whatever part of the keybed I was using at the time. It's being difficult for me to stick to the middle now with fixed central pedals.

Yeah I'm going to see what they can do, annoyingly it seems the stand isn't available for delivery right now, seems to be a 5-10 working days wait on it which is annoying since I could get the piano tomorrow without it frown

All I want/need at the moment is the sustain pedal, so I've no interest in the 3 pedal addition, possibly in the future but at the moment it's not something I'm looking to buy smile

I won't commit to anything until I get a response from them.
They just replied saying they don't actually know when the stand is coming in, may not be till after Christmas smirk

So I may just go for it with the basic stand for now and source the nicer stand at a later date.
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/27/13 03:42 PM
They just replied saying they don't actually know when the stand is coming in, may not be till after Christmas smirk

So I may just go for it with the basic stand for now and source the nicer stand at a later date.

... I would still ask for a reduction for the stand... now you can also claim the wait for it and as you will be changing the cheap one for that one you'll have no stand till after Christmas...

You can simply use a table or look for a very cheap (£5 on ebay) close to you while you wait if they are keeping the price.

OR... negotiate with umbrellamusic... see what they can do. Their price includes matching stand, headphones and bench so they should have the stand in stock... surely you can lower that a bit. I would offer up to £1,100 for ES7, stand, headphones and no bench, making clear it's my absolute maximum as you already have an offer but with stand out of stock at the moment.

http://www.umbrellamusic.co.uk/p/Di...ase&gclid=COr9oaenhbsCFeESwwodvgoA0w

As I said, worst thing they'll say is no.

... You should have seen me as a young penniless student far from home... nothing better to survive and develop negotiation skills! cool
You folks are ruthless customers!

Please don't forget that these piano dealers have mouths to feed too! wink

Cheers,
James
x

... I would still ask for a reduction for the stand... now you can also claim the wait for it and as you will be changing the cheap one for that one you'll have no stand till after Christmas...

You can simply use a table or look for a very cheap (£5 on ebay) close to you while you wait if they are keeping the price.

OR... negotiate with umbrellamusic... see what they can do. Their price includes matching stand, headphones and bench so they should have the stand in stock... surely you can lower that a bit. I would offer up to £1,100 for ES7, stand, headphones and no bench, making clear it's my absolute maximum as you already have an offer but with stand out of stock at the moment.

http://www.umbrellamusic.co.uk/p/Di...ase&gclid=COr9oaenhbsCFeESwwodvgoA0w

As I said, worst thing they'll say is no.

... You should have seen me as a young penniless student far from home... nothing better to survive and develop negotiation skills! cool

Yeah I've contacted them, he said he can guarantee the lowest price for a new ES7 so I'm hopeful.

Cheers,
James
x

Haha this is true, but in the end they'll only go as low as they're willing to :P
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/28/13 12:56 PM

Cheers,
James
x

jajjaaa... no, I simply know that normally there is quite a profitable margin, we don't know the trade prices and they obviously will check that the offer is still good enough for them before accepting it.

I simply don't see the point of paying more than needed thinking that the price tag is set on stone. If your offer is not good enough they'll simply say no and contra-offer, so both parts will end up happy.

This is negotiating! grin
Life of Brian, Haggle Scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA&list=PL600ECD1FEAC70C2B

About to order from Umbrella Music smile

They don't have the black stand in stock either, seems Kawai in general are out of stock till the end of December, so I'm getting the same deal as from Reidys, but with a discounted HM4 when it does come in stock in the new year smile
Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/28/13 03:45 PM

They don't have the black stand in stock either, seems Kawai in general are out of stock till the end of December, so I'm getting the same deal as from Reidys, but with a discounted HM4 when it does come in stock in the new year smile

That's great, GeorgeStorm. If they are willing to keep the price and offer a reduced stand later on, go for them.

Let us know when you get your new ES7!

That's great, GeorgeStorm. If they are willing to keep the price and offer a reduced stand later on, go for them.

Reidys offereda slight discount on the HM4, but not as much.

So on Saturday I should be getting:
ES7
Basic X cross stand
Headphones (didn't actually check model since I'm not that bothered, but it didn't seem worth it to try and save a little bit more by taking the headphones out)
Classenti gig bag (thrown in for free)

Then at some point in the new year once stock comes in, a HM4 smile

Looking forward to it laugh
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/29/13 01:17 AM

ES7

Great !

I am glad you were able to pull the trigger on that one.

You are going to be very pleased with it.

Originally Posted by dmd

ES7

Great !

Thanks smile
Now I just need to work out what I'm going to do headphone wise in the long term, since I can use the included headphones to begin with, but I'll want to use my current ones/get a different nice pair in the long run.

ES7
Basic X cross stand
Headphones (didn't actually check model since I'm not that bothered, but it didn't seem worth it to try and save a little bit more by taking the headphones out)
Classenti gig bag (thrown in for free)

Then at some point in the new year once stock comes in, a HM4 smile

Looking forward to it laugh

Originally Posted by dmd

ES7

Great !

Thanks smile
Now I just need to work out what I'm going to do headphone wise in the long term, since I can use the included headphones to begin with, but I'll want to use my current ones/get a different nice pair in the long run.

Congratulations on your purchase! You are going to love it. Be sure to get some good quality headphones to take full advantage of the amazing detailed sounds ES7 puts out. So many to choose from and so personal, but google headphones within pianoworld and you will get some good advice to start.
[Linked Image]
KAWAI ES7 by George.Yoda, on Flickr

laugh

I will definitely get the nicer stand, this one wobbles, a lot.
Haven't tested it with headphones yet, need to try and actually get some music for it.... (don't have a printer and realised I've left all of my books at home!)
I'll probably try to print something at work on Monday smile
BEAUTIFUL! Just be careful with that stand!
Posted By: dmd Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/30/13 05:57 PM

Yeh ... It is hardly even playable with that X-stand.

The furniture stand will be a huge improvement.

Posted By: evamar Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/30/13 08:43 PM
There it is! Glad you finally got it, and at a great price too.

Enjoy it! cool
BEAUTIFUL! Just be careful with that stand!

Don't worry I will be smile

Originally Posted by dmd

Yeh ... It is hardly even playable with that X-stand.

The furniture stand will be a huge improvement.

It definitely adds another dimension to playing when the piano is moving :P

There it is! Glad you finally got it, and at a great price too.

Enjoy it! cool

Thanks laugh

Tested it with my headphones, and it seems to be absolutely fine laugh
So it turns out it can drive high impedance headphones with no issue at all (mine are 250ohm)
Posted By: peterws Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 11/30/13 10:32 PM
"It definitely adds another dimension to playing when the piano is moving :P"

Like it! Make that Jo-Anna rock, man! cool grin

Congrats!

Perhaps you would like to add your purchase info to the 'Prices Paid' for others to reference in the future?

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: rnaple Re: I think I might want a digital piano.... - 12/01/13 02:04 AM
...My budget is pretty low, I haven't really thought about it, but I can't see myself paying anything more than £1000, and even then probably less. ...

dejavue... smile

Congratulations!

Oh...you won't notice that stand moving after a few drinks. smile
"It definitely adds another dimension to playing when the piano is moving :P"

Like it! Make that Jo-Anna rock, man! cool grin

I'll do my best :P

Congrats!

Perhaps you would like to add your purchase info to the 'Prices Paid' for others to reference in the future?

Cheers,
James
x

Is there a dedicated thread? I'll do some looking, I'd be more than happy to smile

Originally Posted by rnaple
...My budget is pretty low, I haven't really thought about it, but I can't see myself paying anything more than £1000, and even then probably less. ...

dejavue... smile

Congratulations!

Oh...you won't notice that stand moving after a few drinks. smile

Haha yeah, this didn't turn out quite how I had planned but ah well :P

That's a good point!
Definitely go Yamaha P-105 or P-155 if you can stretch to it: portability (so you can get it through your front door!), great sound quality and pretty decent touch.

We've done some reviews on these two at digitalpianocompare if that helps:

Yamaha P-105 review: http://www.digitalpianocompare.co.uk/yamaha-p-105-digital-piano-review/

Yamaha P-155 review: http://www.digitalpianocompare.co.uk/yamaha-p-155-digital-piano-review/

DigitalPianoCompare
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums