Piano World Home Page
Posted By: GA MP6 Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 03/31/14 02:24 PM
Has anyone had any success controlling the MP11 via MIDI from a DAW? I would like to be able to turn on/off some effects via midi but am struggling to get it to work. I have the MP11 set up properly as an external device and can issue program changes to switch sounds on the correct midi channel, but no luck changing effects (like e.piano chorus on/off, for example). All ideas welcome.
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/01/14 02:47 AM
GA MP6, according to my colleague in the MP development team, this should indeed be possible. Please try the following:

1. In the EDIT menu for the MIDI OUT section (any zone), go to the 'Transmit' menu, then set the 'Transmit System Exclusive' setting to 'On'.

2. Press the EFX button to activate the EFX for that section. The EFX ON Sys-Ex message should be sent. Use the functions of your DAW to 'Learn' this message as a command (e.g. 'PIANO EFX ON').

3. Press the EFX button again to deactivate the EFX for that section. The EFX OFF Sys-Ex message should be sent. Once again, use the functions of your DAW to 'Learn' this message as a command (e.g. 'PIANO EFX OFF').

You should now be able to use the learned commands to control the section's EFX button from your DAW.

Note that these commands are also listed in the 'MIDI Implementation' section of the MP11 owner's manual on page 125 as 'EFX SWITCH' and 'EFX2 SWITCH' in the '2.EFX/AMP' category. However, using the 'Learn' method above is perhaps more convenient.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
James
x
Posted By: GA MP6 Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/01/14 01:18 PM
Thanks Kawai James,
I will try this method out. The patches switch very nicely and I was hoping to turn effects on/off by sending the correct MSB/LSB combination. I just can't get it to work, so its probably just me. The 'learn method' was next to try and should be easier. I would still like to be able to 'turn the knobs' via midi, though. Then, when I record the part to audio, I can have the sound change as the song progresses in the actual audio file. If you have any other thoughts on it, let me know. Thanks again!

GA MP6 (now MP11) grin
Posted By: GA MP6 Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/04/14 02:50 AM
Hi James,
Here are my conclusions with all of this. It does not work. The MP11 only transmits SysEx according to the MIDI Implementation Chart and does not recognize incoming SysEx. Its probably easier to just record the MP11 to an audio track and use the DAW effects and automate them there. I'm open to any other ideas if you have any.
Posted By: GA MP6 Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/04/14 07:51 PM
Hi James,
It states on p. 133 of the manual (MIDI Implementation Chart) that System Exclusive is not recognized in either Panel or Section mode. Is this correct? If so, the method you suggested will not work. Please confirm.
Thanks!

GAMP6
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/05/14 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by GA MP6
The MP11 only transmits SysEx according to the MIDI Implementation Chart and does not recognize incoming SysEx.

I am almost certain this is not the case.
If an instrument transmits SysEx it will receive it too.

It states on p. 133 of the manual (MIDI Implementation Chart) that System Exclusive is not recognized in either Panel or Section mode. Is this correct?

No, I'm afraid you are incorrect.
The 'O' means 'Yes' - i.e. SysEx is transmitted, and received in panel/section mode.

A software update for the MP11 is now available which includes an improvement for SysEx handling (related to adjusting the assigned knob parameters in real-time). I don't believe this is necessarily the answer to getting your DAW to control the MP11, however I recommend applying the update for the other fixes/improvements.

I will consult with my R&D colleagues about your query once again on Monday, however for the time being, I recommend continuing your correspondence on the Logic forum, as you appear to have been doing here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25372947

Perhaps you could even reference my post in which I outline how to use the 'Learn' function of your DAW to set the relevant SysEx message.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted By: GA MP6 Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/05/14 02:08 AM
Thanks for the information and that makes more sense. So you know, the hardcopy manual included with the MP11 differs from the PDF version. The hardcopy says X, while the pdf states O for the SysEx receive in the panel/section mode. It has to be something I'm not doing properly in Logic. I'll apply the update as well. Thanks again!
Posted By: GA MP6 Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/05/14 01:59 PM
Hi James,
Here is an update for you. All is working correctly as expected. I performed your steps in Logic Pro Express and it worked perfectly, then the same in a brand new Logic Pro X project. The actual working project has to be corrupt somehow. Don't know how that could have happened, but it must be the answer. Thanks for helping!
Posted By: Morodiene Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/05/14 02:37 PM
Thanks for the information and that makes more sense. So you know, the hardcopy manual included with the MP11 differs from the PDF version. The hardcopy says X, while the pdf states O for the SysEx receive in the panel/section mode. It has to be something I'm not doing properly in Logic. I'll apply the update as well. Thanks again!
Ah, my manual also has X's in there, so I was confused too! wink
Posted By: Kawai James Re: Kawai MP11 Midi Control - 04/07/14 12:54 AM
GA MP6, I'm glad to hear you were eventually able to get everything working in Logic.

My apologies for the incorrect MIDI implementation chart in the owner's manual. Sometimes it takes a little while for the latest owner's manual to be printed and included with the instrument, therefore I always recommending downloading the PDF from Kawai Japan.

Kind regards,
James
x
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums