Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Tonio Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft? - 04/16/14 11:40 PM
Wondering if anyone knows of a sharing place for patches...or if anyone has some they are really satisfied with, and would like to share......or, at the very least, a description of how they have configured one they like a lot.
I have not strayed too much from the Close Mic file, just turning on the una corda pedal, full polyphony, and Reverb--wet:30 Close Piano Room. I should add that this is working well for headphones (AKG K240).
I started off by tweaking the bass end of mine then decided I preferred it flat. I don't believe the timbre in the upper-middle range is tweakable although I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. I think Chicolom's suggestion to go with the 'close' mic produces warmer harmonics although I've added a little 'player' to mine as well.

I'll probably end up just going with the 'close' to keep the sample load time down to a minimum ...but it's still an interminable wait compared to Kontakt. (UVI!! how about doing something about that buffer size???)
Posted By: Tonio Re: Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft? - 04/17/14 08:47 PM
Check out this vid at 17 minutes. How do you think this patch is set up? I'd love to get that tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu7zBS1HKQE#t=1111
I'm new to all of this so would also appreciate suggestions. It's a slow trial and error process for me at the moment. I only know the tone knob makes it sound harder or softer, the reverb settings change or alter the virtual room the piano is in and the touch curve affects the touch dynamics.

The timber shift seems to make a big difference and it can go from -8 to +8 I think.
Originally Posted by Tonio
Check out this vid at 17 minutes. How do you think this patch is set up? I'd love to get that tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu7zBS1HKQE#t=1111

I don't know if others find this but I believe a lot of what we hear as 'the sound' is tied up in what's being played. This guy's playing really well, he sounds like a lot of talented jazzers, slightly K Jarrett, open chords, nice changes, fluent licks, pacey enough that you don't get a chance to dwell on the timbre and wonder about it. Also quite reverberant and moody. I think if you played the same thing on an unedited RC factory patch you'd be knocked out with the sound too...
Posted By: Tonio Re: Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft? - 04/18/14 03:54 PM
[/quote]
I don't know if others find this but I believe a lot of what we hear as 'the sound' is tied up in what's being played.... [/quote]

I *do* think that certainly has influence. The proof positive test for me, however, would be to have that same patch at my disposal to hear it first hand.

Aside from that, you mentioned "...factory patch".....maybe I'm missing something really important...where are these factory patches?
re- 'factory patches' - apologies, that was the wrong term, I should have said simply 'default' - as it comes up on the RC panel with some blend of the 4 mic positions, favouring the 'close' setting.
Originally Posted by Tonio
Aside from that, you mentioned "...factory patch".....maybe I'm missing something really important...where are these factory patches?
I take that to mean just load the instrument, and don’t mess with it, just play it as it is.
Posted By: Macy Re: Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft? - 04/18/14 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by dire tonic
re- 'factory patches' - apologies, that was the wrong term, I should have said simply 'default' - as it comes up on the RC panel with some blend of the 4 mic positions, favouring the 'close' setting.

Does it? I thought I remember it came up with only 1 Mic position turned on (the Player or Close). I ask because if there was a default with more than one mic position mixed I'd like to try it. Despite lots of EQ attempts I'm still not satisfied with getting enough of the "metal and harshness" out of midrange chords using the Close mic. It seems like I should be able to get there, but ....
Originally Posted by Macy
Originally Posted by dire tonic

Does it? I thought I remember it came up with only 1 Mic position turned on (the Player or Close). I ask because if there was a default with more than one mic position mixed I'd like to try it. Despite lots of EQ attempts I'm still not satisfied with getting enough of the "metal and harshness" out of midrange chords using the Close mic. It seems like I should be able to get there, but ....

lol!, my apologies, Macy. It's one of those occasions when I've written too hastily and approximately and now I've done it twice! I should have said " as it comes up on the RC panel with [the user determining] some blend of the 4 mic positions".
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums