Piano World Home Page
Posted By: madblade Please recommend a dp for classical pianist - 09/15/14 03:54 PM
I use to play in my college symphony, haven't played in 5 years mostly because I lost interest and couldn't get my hands on a baby grand due to lack of room.

I would like to buy a digital piano that mimics the sound and feel of a real piano. I know they're not perfect but maybe I can go and try out your recommendations.

I would like to test a couple of DPs under $1000 and few under $2000, and see which one would be best for me.

Thanks.
There was a recent thread on this subject with some discussion that you may find useful.
If you want something closest to the feel of a grand piano, forget about looking in the sub-$1k price range. Certainly if that is all you can afford, then you can find something decent there, but it will be miles away from the feel you can get for something around $2k.

For under $2000, you want to check out the Kawai VPC1. For the money, that is going to give you the highest quality action I think that's out there, next to the Kawai MP11 (GF action). Note that it doesn't have speakers or a stand or any sounds, so you hook it up to your computer. You can purchase high-quality software pianos - which will be needed with the VPC1 - for around $100 or less. The sound you get from software pianos far exceeds the sound you get from most DPs with on-board sounds.

The tricky part is that they are hard to find to test drive. However, if you have a Kawai dealer you can visit, call ahead to see what they have in stock. The MP11, CA65 or CA95 will have a similar action. There may be some other models that are similar, Kawai James would be able to help you with further suggestions if those aren't available.
There are several options that you have to choose from in your price range:

Morodiene's suggestion of using a software piano might definitely be worth considering if you want the best possible sound. Software pianos use your computer (and its speakers) to generate the sounds rather than having them come from the keyboard itself. Some software pianos are crazy expensive, but some of them are quite reasonable. I've used Pianoteq, which is very reasonably priced and has excellent quality sounds.

The kawai VPC1 Morodiene mentioned has no built sounds of its own, and it's pretty pricey. If you're going to go the software piano route, pretty much any digital piano that you are going to buy can be connected to the computer to power them. There are some less expensive options that may be more suitable.

The Casio PX150 and PX350 have excellent feeling actions for the price, and they have very decent built in sounds (also they are very low in weight which makes them very portable). The absolute "Best Bang For Your Buck" option would probably be to couple a Casio PX150 with Pianoteq. That could be had for less than $650 USD.

If you're less technically inclined, or don't have a computer that you can conveniently hook to a keyboard, then you'll want a stand alone keyboard with good sounds and a good action.

In addition to the aforementioned casios, the yamaha P255, Kawai ES100, Roland FP-50, Roland FP-80 and kawai ES7 would be some options worth exploring (all of those have built in speakers). If you have space, and prefer a more traditional look, you might also want to consider some of the cabinet style pianos from those companies as well. They're generally less portable, but often share many of the features of their stage piano counterparts.

I have to second pianoteq.... After I started using pianoteq, haven't turned my px120 volume bk up anymore.... Visit yr local shop to try out the action nothing beats firsthand... Then after decided on keyboard get pianoteq and a good set of headphone.... I use the good old Sony mdr-v6.
Thank you all so far, I was aware of the Kawai VPC1 but seems a little pricey especially especially if I still have to buy software.

I'm not opposed to using a computer with software on the keyboard, but is there something a bit cheaper, under $1000 pref.
I have to second morodiene. You won't get what you want for under $1000. There's just too many compromises. Just try any of the casio PX x50 series under 1000usd and you'll understand.

An option with the kawai vpc1 is to settle for a 1990's vintage alesis nanopiano synth to drive an external amp. You should be able to get one of these for under 100usd used but I doubt it will have the dynamic quality you might want.
Posted By: Vid Re: Please recommend a dp for classical pianist - 09/17/14 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by madblade
Thank you all so far, I was aware of the Kawai VPC1 but seems a little pricey especially especially if I still have to buy software.

I'm not opposed to using a computer with software on the keyboard, but is there something a bit cheaper, under $1000 pref.

I don't think you will find something cheaper without a compromise on the action which is important for classical piano playing.
I'm seeing the VPC1 go with bundles including speakers, stand and headphones going for $1879. Add to that something like Pianoteq, which goes for $129, or $150 for TrueKeys American and you're at $2030 or around there.

This is pretty much as close as you are going to get to an authentic feeling and sounding digital piano. I would venture to say this even competes with more expensive units.

I'm pretty sure you won't be satisfied with Casio, even though for the sub-$1k price point, they are the most bang for your buck. You could get a Casio PX-150 for $500 and buy software to get a better sound, but you won't be happy with the action.
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I'm seeing the VPC1 go with bundles including speakers, stand and headphones going for $1879.

Can I ask where you're seeing a bundle with speakers at that price? Feel free to PM me if you aren't comfortable posting it here. Kraft's bundle with speakers (the only such combo I'm presently aware of) looks like it's $2249--if there was a similar deal at a lower price that could be very useful to know.
From what I've been told going with an omega type stand is really a must on the vpc1. The kraft bundle's stand is too shaky.
Originally Posted by Starboard
I'm seeing the VPC1 go with bundles including speakers, stand and headphones going for $1879.

Can I ask where you're seeing a bundle with speakers at that price? Feel free to PM me if you aren't comfortable posting it here. Kraft's bundle with speakers (the only such combo I'm presently aware of) looks like it's $2249--if there was a similar deal at a lower price that could be very useful to know.

It was at Kraft, but I just did a google shopping search. Could be your price includes shipping/tax.
It was at Kraft, but I just did a google shopping search. Could be your price includes shipping/tax.

Alright, thanks Morodiene. As I wrote in a previous topic, my existing VPC1 order was delayed, so potentially good alternate deals are of interest! In this case, I think the Google Shopping tool may have mixed up the contents of Kraft's bundles.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums