Piano World Home Page
Posted By: hmlevine midi files for QRS Pianomation - 10/09/14 02:59 PM
Anybody out there know some web sites to get good quality piano midi files which can be played on a QRS Pianomation II system these files must be downloaded onto a thumb drive and played thru the usb port on the Pianomation system. Suposidly the piano has to be recorded on channel one according to QRS. I also purchased other software files from other sources which played on the pianomation ll upgrade system until upgrading to the newest software version. Called QRS and they are playing hardball with me and will not release the files. QRS said they are not authorized files. I hence sent them a web site that sells 3rd party software other pianist playing music along with accomplishment singing about 6 days ago. They have not responded if these would be authorized. Any suggestions what I should do. If you buy from QRS the files are $48.00 for 1 disc. If you buy 3rd party software cost are around $20.00 but need a release code from QRS to play them.

thanks hal
Posted By: Marcos Daniel Re: midi files for QRS Pianomation - 10/09/14 04:55 PM
There used to be on the internet a guy named Robert Finley, I've just tried a google search and his website seems to be down but he had lots of midi recordings of classical and romantic piano music.

Edit: this site has some of his files http://midkar.com/MidiStudio/RFinley/

Edit again: Sorry, I had not read your post with all the attention, don't know which files QRS is able to play...
Posted By: Handweaver Re: midi files for QRS Pianomation - 10/23/14 06:39 PM
Have you tried the links in this site for MIDI files:

http://www.pianoguru.com/midi_&_disklavier.htm

I have found some with pretty nice files but also some dead links and other than the complete two hand solo piano that I'm looking for.

A month ago I had the Pianomation II system installed in my Kawai US50 upright. My software version is 5.53. I'm quite new to the system and MIDI files in general. I have transferred both MIDI and MP3 files to a USB stick. The MIDI files will play the piano fine but the MP3's play through the audio speaker and don't play the piano.

When I called QRS Tech Support I was told that I probably needed third party software to convert MP3's to MIDI files. This is all pretty confusing in light of your being able to play MP3's in a previous software version. The ability to play both MIDI and MP3 files rather than being locked into QRS's library was a major factor in this purchase.

Linda

Posted By: spanishbuddha Re: midi files for QRS Pianomation - 10/23/14 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Handweaver
This is all pretty confusing in light of your being able to play MP3's in a previous software version. The ability to play both MIDI and MP3 files rather than being locked into QRS's library was a major factor in this purchase.

Linda

Really!? Can you provide a reference?

Although not familiar with this system I find this surprising, it would have meant the software was converting the mp3 to midi on the fly. The whole mp3 (or other audio file) conversion to midi is notoriously difficult with unreliable results that usually need manual editing.

Posted By: Handweaver Re: midi files for QRS Pianomation - 10/24/14 01:45 PM
My references regarding the QRS PNOmation II being able to play MP3 files comes from their User Guide p. 17 online at
https://www.qrsmusic.com/support.asp?cid=54

"USB Drive: Play MIDI or MP3 files from a USB Drive"

Also the original poster, hmlevine, in August posted that since a recent QRS software update he was having problems playing MP3s that had been working fine.
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2315712/pianomation_ll_files.html#Post2315712

Everything I have read about converting MP3 to MIDI agrees with your point that it has been problematic. My understanding is that it's like reverse engineering a chocolate cake (MP3) to a recipe (MIDI). Hopefully hmlevine can give us more information on the MP3 files he was using. Did they have MIDI information embedded?

Linda
Posted By: spanishbuddha Re: midi files for QRS Pianomation - 10/24/14 05:36 PM
The user manual says:
<quote>
MPE files are no longer supported.
Petine will still recognize MP3 files and now automatically detect any left channel QRS AMI signal and direct it to Pianomation to trigger the keys.
</quote>

So mp3 files need a QRS AMI signal in the left channel, in order to play the piano?
Posted By: Handweaver Re: midi files for QRS Pianomation - 10/24/14 07:18 PM
The Petine system is an older QRS product that used CDs to load music. hmlevine and I have the latest system, the PNOmation II which delivers the QRS midi files wirelessly or our own files by USB stick. So if the old system could play MP3s maybe the new system just needs a hardware/software fix. What I don't understand is why QRS support is not being upfront about the issue. Maybe engineering is not communicating with the support techs?

Thanks for catching that piece of information from the old manual.

Linda
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums