Piano World Home Page
Posted By: pinkfloydhomer Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 02/28/17 11:24 PM
If only used with headphones, are the two exactly the same with regards to sound and action?

In other words, could he do the same thing on the FP-90 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJP65EMK50
Posted By: Goss Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 05:24 AM
Yes, same action, same processing/engine ^^
Posted By: peterws Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 06:40 AM
The two pianos won't feel the same, or play the same. The recording might be similar
Going to play both today. And the CVP709. And the DGX660 . . plus a couple of Kawai uprights and a Yamaha silent.
I'll have a good 30 minutes to spare . . .
Posted By: pinkfloydhomer Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 06:57 AM
Why won't they feel or play the same, remember, through headphones?
Posted By: Goss Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 07:36 AM
I think perhaps Peter means the 'feel' will be different - the LX17 has the mass of its cabinet - the weight of it and perception of it, behind it, while the fp90 would sit on a stand. Psychological difference and difference in stability a little.
Posted By: peterws Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 09:18 AM
I'll take my headphones. I'll be comparing them with good ole Pianoteq!
Posted By: pinkfloydhomer Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Goss
I think perhaps Peter means the 'feel' will be different - the LX17 has the mass of its cabinet - the weight of it and perception of it, behind it, while the fp90 would sit on a stand. Psychological difference and difference in stability a little.

I get that. But assume that the FP-90 is securely and firmly fastened and that you close your eyes. I'm asking whether the keys, action and sound engine are exactly the same.

Posted By: EssBrace Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer
I'm asking whether the keys, action and sound engine are exactly the same.

I'd put money on them being the same. Any perceived differences will be just that, perceived, possibly due to the difference in physical form, placement in the room or, just as likely, price!
Posted By: Peakski Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 09:51 AM
A quick check on the Roland website shows that they both use exactly the same PHA-50 keyboard and they both use exactly the same SN sound modelling. So there should be no difference through headphones in either sound or action.
Posted By: Goss Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 09:59 AM
Yes Homer, they are exactly the same. DP603 HP603 HP605 FP-90 KF-10 LX-7 LX-17 GP-607 áll the same.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 10:20 AM
If only used with headphones, are the two exactly the same with regards to sound and action?

In other words, could he do the same thing on the FP-90 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJP65EMK50

Only way to know is to try them out. Do you know what kind of headphone amp is in both devices? I suspect any difference in sound would result from the quality of the headphone system.
Posted By: Peakski Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Only way to know is to try them out. Do you know what kind of headphone amp is in both devices? I suspect any difference in sound would result from the quality of the headphone system.

That's a good point, but I'll bet Roland use the same bog standard headphone amp across their entire range - or at least their premium range using this keyboard. FWIW my GP607 sounds very nice through reasonable quality headphones.
Posted By: agent8698 Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 06:48 PM
Yes Homer, they are exactly the same. DP603 HP603 HP605 FP-90 KF-10 LX-7 LX-17 GP-607 áll the same.

Really? Hmm. So if I am considering buying the FP-90, then I can go on youtube and listen to demos of highest end Roland models costing 3 or 4 times as much (which tend to be the best-sounding demos) and tell myself: this is exactly what I would be getting, as far as keyboard action and sound.

I just did that, by watching this Roland GP-607 demonstration: it sounds better than any of the FP-90 demos I've come across:

https://youtu.be/Ok2CsPaprHw?t=1m48s
Posted By: Goss Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 07:16 PM
Yep =)

Roland hit some difficult times a few years ago, ended up doing a buyup of shares and shook their stuff up. Decided to streamline their product line up - You pay the premium for cabinet style and finish, but the core and action are all their best.
Posted By: Goss Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 07:33 PM
Note- in your video there is a mic on top of the piano but that's just there for his voice. See near his knees the line out cables snaking away, and notice when he stops playing and starts talking an overlap of the piano's acoustic sound and the line out recorded sound ^^
Posted By: Peakski Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by agent8698

Really? Hmm. So if I am considering buying the FP-90, then I can go on youtube and listen to demos of highest end Roland models costing 3 or 4 times as much (which tend to be the best-sounding demos) and tell myself: this is exactly what I would be getting, as far as keyboard action and sound.

I just did that, by watching this Roland GP-607 demonstration: it sounds better than any of the FP-90 demos I've come across:

https://youtu.be/Ok2CsPaprHw?t=1m48s

For action and headphone sound yes. For speaker system sound no. As Goss says the extra money goes into the cabinets and speaker systems. The GP-607 is a nice piece of furniture in its own right and sounds pretty cool too.
Posted By: USSOWT Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/01/17 11:09 PM
Though the keyboard action and sound engine are the same, lx7 and lx17 have soundboard vibration which will add up to a more authentic feeling when playing the keyboard(same with Kawai ca15/30,ca67/97), if money is not an issue, lx7 is still a better choice than fp90,lx17 may be too much for a dp compared to lx7.
Posted By: pinkfloydhomer Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/02/17 09:39 AM
I am talking exclusively about headphone use. I have tried all sorts of digital pianos with supposedly good speaker systems, such as Kawai CA-95 (haven't tried CA-97 yet), several expensive Yamahas, the LX17 and so on. I have always been severely underwhelmed. I don't expect the sound from the speaker systems to be great and so I won't pay a premium for it. This would be first and foremost a practice instrument used with headphones. If I wanted speakers, I would just buy a good pair of monitors and a subwoofer. I know it's not the same as a real piano or as some digital with a "soundboard", but since I am not at all impressed with the sounds from these speaker systems, I don't think I would be less impressed with the monitors and the subwoofer.
Posted By: Peakski Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/02/17 10:12 AM
I am talking exclusively about headphone use. I have tried all sorts of digital pianos with supposedly good speaker systems, such as Kawai CA-95 (haven't tried CA-97 yet), several expensive Yamahas, the LX17 and so on. I have always been severely underwhelmed. I don't expect the sound from the speaker systems to be great and so I won't pay a premium for it. This would be first and foremost a practice instrument used with headphones. If I wanted speakers, I would just buy a good pair of monitors and a subwoofer. I know it's not the same as a real piano or as some digital with a "soundboard", but since I am not at all impressed with the sounds from these speaker systems, I don't think I would be less impressed with the monitors and the subwoofer.

That sounds fair enough. The cabinets are really for those who want something that looks like a real piano in their room. A reasonable quality amp/speaker setup will probably give better sound in many cases.
Posted By: Doug M. Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/02/17 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Peakski
Originally Posted by Doug M.

That's a good point, but I'll bet Roland use the same bog standard headphone amp across their entire range - or at least their premium range using this keyboard. FWIW my GP607 sounds very nice through reasonable quality headphones.

Wouldn't assume that. Kawai use different headphone amps in their models: I found out recently when looking into high end headphones and enquiring from Kawai Europe about the MP7 headphone impedance.
Posted By: Goss Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/02/17 10:46 AM
The problem with monitors is space and placement - to keep the sound from being too boomy they need a fair bit of space away from a wall, and even really near field ones with have lots and lots of drop off off axis - move your head around and the sound changes lóts. usually they are best a good 4 feet minimum away from the user.. that's a lot of space taken up in say a livingroom situation, not to mention the aesthetics ^^

The LX17 we really liked - compared to other digital uprights it is the bee's knees. Not to say it could not be improved on but the WAF is at play in this house, plus the little Godzilla on the loose - precludes things like slab pianos on stands with premium monitors, subwoofers and laptops and wires everywhere ^^ Given a similar budget and if it was just me deciding I might opt for something put together myself like that, but even then I would not put it in my livingroom. And to not have the piano there in the livingspace is a real loss.

Or I might try to find a bargain on an LX17 or CS11 a couple years down the road and go to town on the cabinet and speaker systems in there with some of my friends from the diy speaker community ^^
Posted By: JoBert Re: Roland FP-90 vs LX-17 - 03/02/17 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by USSOWT
Though the keyboard action and sound engine are the same, lx7 and lx17 have soundboard vibration which will add up to a more authentic feeling when playing the keyboard(same with Kawai ca15/30,ca67/97)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but since when do the LX7 and LX17 have a soundboard? AFAIK, of the models you mentioned above, only the CA97 has a soundboard. The CA67 doesn't, neither did the (outdated) CA15. I'm not sure about the CA30 (I think it was for the asian market only?)...
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums